The Good Housemaster Ch. 5

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, really?"

"The two prefects will receive a public tomorrow morning."

The thirty-five year-old Housemaster grins. "Brilliant! Knock them down a peg or two!"

The others eagerly continue their conversation about how Sherman would go about it. I just sit staring at my plate, and I realise I have no appetite any longer. My gaze turns towards the students below me. Most of the girls seem to be engaged in conversation or reading while eating. That is, all except where those of my house have gathered. The girls are huddled together, whispering. All but two of them. Katie and Lauren just stare at me. I feel a distance forming between us with every passing moment. Frowning, I stand suddenly. "I have to go."

"Give 'em what for, Housemaster," Wadsworth grins, waving a salute with his fork.

With a growing sense of unease, I grab my cane and march towards the exit. Why should I feel bad about the situation? I did avoid the worst for my first years. The other two, though? Preeti should have stopped the whole affair from the get-go. And why did Amelia lead them all into this? She should get the worst the headmaster could offer! My steps falter for a moment in the courtyard as the cold February wind blows through my gown. Didn't I make a promise to someone? To take care of her? Well, of course. I should care for all of these students; but now I'm forced to cane two I care for especially. Shaking myself, I take a moment to let the firm demeanor of a housemaster fall in place, just as Brown instructed me this past month. I have to remain in control at all times. Pushing open the door that leads to my common room, I find it mostly empty. The few that are there look up, and silence follows me as I reach the base of the stairs. "Miss Gupta!"

The lady's door is closest, and it opens immediately. Her dark eyes widen at the sight of the cane in my hand. "Sir?"

"Come to my office, please."

My prefect hurries down the flight while trying to look as calm as possible under the circumstances. Once inside, I see the third-year stand as tall as her five-foot-eight is capable of. "You are to cane me, sir?"

"No, Miss Gupta. The Headmaster has decided to do that himself."

A look of confusion sets in on her dark features. "I thought you would... You refused to do it, sir?"

I place the cane on the desk, my frustration with the situation mounting once again. "It's not a matter of that. The headmaster has decided to make an example of you in front of the entire school! Both you and Miss Pritchard, in fact!"

The twenty-one year-old woman's professional demeanor cracks a bit. "I am to be caned in public?! Is that allowed, sir?!"

"Evidently! The exact nature of your punishment hasn't been revealed to me yet. I've only been told that you will be ready tomorrow morning after meal."

It's obvious the news had finally made the woman ill at ease, and yet she still stands there at attention. "You will be there, sir?"

"Yes. As will the entire staff, I'm sure. Do you understand what this will mean, Miss Gupta?"

She nods, gripping her hands together as if she's already working her courage up. "If it's a caning, then it will be on the bare, sir."

She's taking this news very stoically under the circumstances. Again, my aggravation with her builds. "I guess that isn't too 'improper' for you?"

The stinging rebuke makes her blink. "I'm sorry, sir. I just wish to make amends."

Frowning, I go behind my desk and sit. "After this is all finished, we will have a long conversation about your standing here, Miss Gupta. Maybe then you can convince me why you want to remain in a position of trust."

"Sir, I know..."

"Not now!" Every moment she's standing there, my anger builds. "I want you out of my sight, Miss Gupta. You can summon Miss Chung and Akins and confine yourself upstairs."

The woman stares for a moment, but then finally nods once. "Sir."

As she marches out, I look down at the two sheets of paper to confirm everything written there. At least it's early. Not quite seven. While in their school uniforms, I'll just have them sign and cane them quickly. I'll follow with a word of reprimand, and it'll all be over. Reading the instructions, I see that I will need them to raise their dresses, and the disciplinarian will pull down their knickers. I look up, feeling a sudden sweat on my palms. I can't do that! I don't want to touch these two young ladies at all! I mean; I pat them on the shoulder sometimes. Is there any real need to lower their knickers in the first place? Who would know? Nobody. Certainly not Sherman. I grind my teeth as I realise this would be my first act to disobey a direct instruction. It had to be done, my conscience be damned.

There's a soft knock at my open door, and I look up. Oh, bloody hell! They've already changed! Not that I could complain about their current attire, mind you. The two young ladies had similar robes that one might wear to keep warm in the winter. In fact, they were covered from neck to toe.

"Sir. Is it time?" Miss Akins asks as she nervously glances back at her fellow classmates returning from meal.

Realizing my plan for not embarrassing them is backfiring, I wave both in and have them close the door. Slowly, they approach my desk, and both sets of eyes fix on the cane. My intention to get this over quickly is the only thing keeping me going. Just seeing them standing there so anxiously is having the exact opposite effect I had with Miss Gupta. Even now, Miss Chung is clutching the top of her robe as if it were a shield against what I'm about to do. With my mouth drying, I start. "Ladies. I want to let you know how disappointed I am with you..."

There's a sob from Miss Chung. "I know, sir. I never wanted to do that. When you're happy with us, we all feel so good to be here. Now with you looking at me this way, I feel..."

I study her closely. "What do you feel?"

Tears shimmer in her eyes. "I feel as if we will never be happy again."

I look down at the cane and sense it too. Once I pick it up, everything will change. I will become the enforcer of the punishment. Someone to be feared. Suddenly, I realize I've squeezed my hands, and the nails have dug painfully into my palms. Shifting them to the arms of my chair, I try to recapture what I was going to say. "I understand, Miss Chung, but that doesn't change the fact that both of my best students were out of bounds drinking. Do you realize how embarrassed I've been these last few hours?"

Dorothy looks down through her glasses. "Yes, sir. While I was in my room, I realized I'd insulted you. I just wish to say that I'm sorry for what I said. I'm so angry at myself that I took it out on you. I know; you tried for us."

This is getting very difficult now. I have grown too close to them. "I appreciate both of your apologies. I sense that you are truly sorry for what happened. That's why I will get this done as quickly and..." I almost said painlessly. "...with as little fuss as possible."

"We; can't argue, sir," Natalie says, blushing. "But I've never done anything like this before."

"I think we can all agree to that, Miss Chung." My nervousness is building second by second. The longer this goes on, the worse I feel. Still, I have to remain the one in control. Letting all of Brown's instructions run quickly to mind, I stand and take the cane. I can do this. I just; will not do it on the bare. I won't even make them bend over. Walking around the desk, I see both girls grow very reticent.

"Sir, do you really...?"

"Please, Miss Akins, let's get this over with. Just go to the edge of the desk and remove your robes. I will cane you five times each, with you just standing there. The faster this goes, the better for all of us."

The two first-years blink at me and seem to relent to my instruction. Faces burning furiously, the students slowly walk towards the front of my desk. They give me a last glance, and I move behind them preparing myself. I just have to be detached about this. Swing firmly, but not too hard. Seeing the robes starting to slide off their shoulders, I take aim... What in blazes?! My eyes suddenly are locked onto two sets of young womanly derrieres. One pale and slightly pink. The other a light yellow-brown. "Wha..!" I back up, and all I see is more exposed skin. From nervously shifting feet and bare legs, to their gently tapered hips, leading upward...

My two students: are completely naked!

"Miss Chung! Miss Akins! Get your robes back on!" I turn away quickly, but there's no taking back what I've seen. "Why are you wearing nothing under your robes!"

"But, sir, you told us to!"

As the sound of their scrambling to get the robes back on diminishes, I face them. "What would make you think that, Miss Akins?!"

The brightly red girl waves in the general direction of the Main Hall. "You said that we're to wear our robes!"

I stand there shaking my head. "How on earth could you come to the conclusion that you should be naked under them?"

Miss Chung clasps her hands before her. "Well... If we are not to allow you to see our undergarments, but we are to get it on the bare..."

Now I'm starting to figure it out. I didn't mention for them to wear nightgowns or shirts. I'm also sure they knew from the Code how they were going to get it. Better than me, in fact. How could they be so literal? "No, ladies. I was just trying to make you feel as little embarrassment in front of your classmates as possible. I didn't even know I was supposed to punish you that way until after our conversation."

Dorothy looks up at me cautiously. "So; you didn't want to see us naked?"

"No, Miss Akins! How could you even think that!"

The girl begins to slowly smile. "I knew it, sir! I just knew it! I was so worried that you were just another... I mean..."

"A pervert?" I tilt my head. "Do you think that of all the male staff?"

Neither of them answer me. I look down at my desk as the decorative clock begins to chime seven. There's something about the timepiece. A memory of happiness. Then I see the forms lying right next to it. The last bell sounds, and all three of us finally meet each other's gaze.

"We broke the code..."

"Yes, Miss Chung," I say almost as quietly. "You failed to show the strength of character I thought you had and walked away from that situation. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

I suddenly become sure of what I want to do. I'm a teacher at heart, and this is a teaching moment. "I don't think you do. Right now, I'm going to be an example for both of you." I hand each of them the form. "Read these closely." I watch as the two scan the paper. After a moment, I see Dorothy bite her lip.

"It's pretty clear what you must do, sir."

I raise an eyebrow. "Is it?"

"Yes. Five strokes with the cane." She grimaces. "If you want, we can change."

"What if I say no?" I point the rattan at them. "What if I insist on caning you on the bare over my desk right now? Would you still do it?" I watch as they both look at each other nervously. "Well, would you?"

Natalie clutches at her robe once again. "Please don't do that, sir."

"Answer me. Do you think it's right for me to do so?"

"It wouldn't be right, sir," Dorothy answers apprehensively. "But please don't tell us to do that."

"I won't. Of that, you can both be assured." They breathe a sigh of relief. "I will not even cane you. Do you know why?"

Natalie's almond eyes look up to me in surprise. "But, sir, you have to. The Headmaster instructed you specifically to do it."

"Tell me if you think that would be right considering the situation."

The girl stands there pondering what I said. I turn to Amelia. "What were you thinking when you stood up in front of everyone protesting?"

"Are you speaking of disobedience when given an unfair order, sir?"

I nod. "All too often, we are told what to do. What to say. How to act. You two need to show some backbone, and that's why I'm sorely disappointed in you." They are thinking hard about what I just said now. I'm starting to feel better. This is my natural style. This feels right! "You have to question every decision made. Every order, or else you will do things you feel are wrong."

Natalie is still clasping at her yellow robe. "I'm sorry, sir. I'll try to do better."

Dorothy's unique smile has fully returned. "So. You're really not going to cane us, sir?"

"I think what just happened is more than enough of a punishment for you two. Take it to heart the next time something like this comes up."

"Yes, sir," they both respond with that strange synchronization.

"Also, mums the word on what happened here. Now sign these and go." As the two women depart, I place the cane in a corner. Taking a deep breath, I almost feel; clean. One hurdle down, but tomorrow didn't promise to be any better. The anger I feel towards my prefect simmers as I have to take over her duties for the rest of the night.

* * *

Waking up the next morning, I see that it's still early. Even with all my worries about this day, no strange dreams had interrupted my winter slumber, luckily. I know I've been having them recently, but what they were about is just out of reach. Looking through my window, I can tell that it promises to be a gray day. Finishing my morning routine, I leave for the headmaster's office at seven with documents in hand. Striding into the main office, I see that Miss Watts is still getting situated and nods to me. "Headmaster Sherman is in already. It's not often he beats me here, but he should be expecting you."

Nodding, I give a quick knock and hear the order to enter. Opening the door, I see the headmaster behind his desk filling out a few forms. I assume they are the ones for the prefects.

"Yes, Professor?"

"The punishment form you were waiting for, sir." I walk to the front of his desk and put them down in front of him. He gives it a quick look over and then glances back at me through his reading glasses. "I assume both ladies have been properly chastised by you?"

"Yes, sir." I am a bit nervous, but I think I can keep my answers vague enough. I certainly believe they were punished after what happened last night.

"Fine then." Looking back down at his papers, he continues writing. "After breakfast, I will be speaking to the entire school in the Main Hall. Just so you know, I will administer ten of the best to Brown's prefect and six to yours."

"Six, sir?"

"The Housemaster's recommendation. Miss Pritchard will be first since Brown is more experienced on how to handle these types of punishments. You will follow his lead with Miss Gupta. When I'm done, all of the participants in the drinking incident will come forward, and I will have them presented before the class."

I blink. "Sir? The other two?"

Sherman looks at me seriously. "One more admonition from me to make sure the entire school is clear about what happens to those who step out of line. Is there any problem with that?"

"No, sir. I will go to the Main Hall and inform them to be ready."

Nodding, Sherman waves me out. Turning directly to the front of the school, I see a lot of activity in the entryway as the girls go to breakfast. Just as I begin to look for Natalie and Dorothy, Katie all but runs up to me.

"Sir, can we talk?"

I stare over her, continuing to scan the crowd. "Yes. As long as you tell me where Miss Gupta and Akins are."

She jerks her head back behind her. "They're still in their room talking with Lauren about what happened last night. Sir, I just want to say there is something very wrong going on here."

"What exactly, Miss Jones? Beyond the canings, that is."

She purses her lips at me. "Whatever you did, it wasn't much of a caning, sir."

"Oh?"

"At my old school, I saw my friends leaving the Head's office in tears. Those two weren't exactly gutted, if you get my meaning, sir."

I sigh. "Observant as ever, Miss Jones. The school is in a bit of disarray at the moment. I'm doing what I can."

"That's it exactly, sir. We go from being one of the most progressive schools in England to almost a reformatory in a few weeks. Don't you think that's very strange, sir?"

"There have been a lot of incidences of Code violations lately."

"No, sir. Can't you see?" She looks around. "Everyone is acting strange. Even my classmates who agreed to sign the form yesterday won't even talk to me today."

Could the rumor mill be operating that fast? Is the student body that cowed already? "Have you heard anything about what will happen this morning?"

"No, sir." Katie's head tilts a bit. "What's going on?"

"The two prefects involved will be caned in front of everyone after meal."

Her face says it all. Finally, someone is as dismayed as I am. "That's barbaric! It's medieval!"

"It's also decided. I talked with Miss Gupta last night, and she seems more than willing to accept her fate."

"How could she? She's so; conservative. She'll have to..."

"I know, Miss Jones." Her mouth opens, and I raise a hand. "Let's get through this, and we'll try again as things settle down."

"Yes, sir."

"Thank you. Could you find your friends and warn them that they're to be verbally admonished afterwards? They will be expected to come up."

Katie nods quickly. "I'm on it."

Knowing the raven-haired student will do a lot more than that, I again feel a bit better. She has an adroit mind, and I'll just check in tonight to see what the group comes up with. All I have to do is keep them pointed in the right direction.

Entering the rapidly filling hall, I make my way to the prepared seat, one over from Housemaster Brown's. As I begin to eat, I look down to my table and notice Miss Gupta sitting alone, away from the others. She looks; tired. Her head droops over her plate, and I swear she has shadows under her eyes. My prefect must not have slept at all last night. Is it any wonder? Just then, my four come in and find their way around the full tables to sit around her. The third year looks up and gives them a faint smile as they all nod in support. I see now that her little act in my office was all for show. She IS very worried, and I'm glad in a way. Her humanity is revealed to me, and I'll have to show her sympathy when this is over. 

The table is cleared in front of us, leaving just the white tablecloth on top. Headmaster Sherman enters the hall, and it doesn't take long for the room to notice that he's carrying the senior cane with him. The noise level drops precipitously to a low murmur as he ascends and makes his way to the headmaster's podium. After setting the cane on top, the graying man looks out at the students. The quiet whispers fade away.

"Professors. Ladies. I come before you this morning with a heavy heart. On the first day of the term, I made it clear that no one was to be found drinking in public until I received an acknowledgement from the local town. Our reputation as a school is being undercut by these displays of behavior, even during the last term. And yet, barely a month later, a group of our students went down there and defied my orders!" A bit of rustling could be heard as eyes start glancing at fellow classmates. Sherman looks out over the assembly and raises his voice. "I now call Miss Pritchard and Miss Gupta to join me here at the podium."

All heads turn as the two ladies rise in their prefect uniforms. Both try to keep an air of decorum as whispers follow their steps, and the two ascend the short flight to us. The Headmaster points to a spot in front of him, and with growing apprehension, the ladies stand there as Sherman frowns down at them.

"Miss Gupta, a prefect of Wright's house, and in her final term, went out of bounds to the Rook yesterday afternoon. As the most senior of the group, she failed to show proper judgment and authority to stop this shameful rule-breaking. For that, you will receive six strokes of the senior cane."