All Comments on 'The Good Therapist'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 31 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 1 year ago

A very fine piece of writing. Full of hope and healing. Thanks for sharing your story.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing your story!

5

DaliniDaliniover 1 year ago

I like this, i probably would have wanted to find out why she had her tubes tied as that seemed to be the first major disruption, obviously just like in real life you can live on without knowing everything ;))

francemanfrancemanover 1 year ago

Very touching.

It's perfectly normal to have questions.

But paradoxically, I learned that we often have the answers to our questions. Only, they are not easily accessible.

I also strongly believe in personal responsibility. So yes, we can influence or guide choices and decisions through words, an attitude, a behavior, but in the end, choices and decisions (good or bad) are all personal.

On the other hand, I have a question or else I did not understand the scene well.

Your wife has a blood alcohol problem and at her request, you leave her in a bar, alone with people you don't know?

In a bar ?

only?

An alcoholic?

And you leave without checking, without monitoring?

There, I really did not understand.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 1 year ago

Wow! Really bared your soul. Excellent writing. 5 stars.

pepepilotpepepilotover 1 year ago

This story is a lot more honest than the BTB and RAAC. Great job.

Rocket081960Rocket081960over 1 year ago

Very well written. Thanks for sharing your story.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 1 year ago

Very good. Although as someone who has alcoholics in my family, after attending Al-ANON the MC should have known better than to have a beer together at the crab shack. Even one beer in unacceptable. An alcoholic cannot have even that. In order to support that person's sobriety, you also have to abstain. Unless you are also an alcoholic, that should not be a big challenge.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year ago

Dealing with a crazy spouse (and alcoholics are a species of crazy) is horrible.

Thanks for sharing this piece of reality with us.

OldGuy1946OldGuy1946over 1 year ago

A powerful, well written story. Congratulations on finding your way back from a very dark place.

69gman69gmanover 1 year ago

Not a fun read for sure.. 5 stars an too many memories. Opioid addiction may even be worse and the guilt of thinking you are an "enabler". TY for the story I will never be able to write mine.

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

5* Thank you for sharing this

ProfesseurXProfesseurXover 1 year ago

That's a tough one. Can't say I really liked it because it is very dark but hope it is therapeutic.

Alcoholism ruins so many lifes it is scary.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Would it be crass if I said 'better you than me'? Okay, I wont say it. I do find it reassuring that you have put it behind you and are moving on. Having family that stands with you is not only a comfort, it can be a life saver. Glad things are working out for you and thanks for sharing your story.

TrambakTrambakover 1 year ago

Dark. But he has moved on, so he is better. Both the adulterers were confirmed alcoholics. Everything they did, and that includes infidelity happened through the haze of alcoholic stupor.

And that's why I am unable to hate them outright.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Right on target. Very similar story. Same feelings in the end I just walked away. Karma is a bitch and and did all the dirty work.

offkilter123offkilter123over 1 year ago

Author’s name checks out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"Sometimes the best revenge is just to walk away."

“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could’ve, would’ve happened… or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.”

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I never did get answers to many of the questions that drove me to seek a therapist, questions like "Why?"

Why do People cheat? The answer you'll never get from your therapist.....People cheat because they can!.

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

And, believe it or not, sometimes it passes and you both heal up. But, even then, the "Why" is never resolved and you just have to let it pass.

BoxerR100BoxerR100over 1 year ago

Dammm....

If I ever had to face the same circumstance, I would like to think this is how I would handle it. Well done sir.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow, what pain. Best to walk with your head held high, knowing you were the far better person. Regardless of how you try, you can't stop some people form destructive behavior. Powerful and very Sad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The real guilty Party in these betrayal is not the man. He's meerly is a scum bag opportunest.

The woman made the choice and is totally to blame. Forget the man, he's not worth the effort.

Several transgressions is beyond forgiveness, or future trust.

Get a lawyer, punch the election seat and rebuilt your life elsewhere.

Do listen to her "reasons" or other BS.

Closure is idiotic and is a fictional self delusion. She did it. That's enough all by itself. Period.

PorterrhPorterrh12 months ago

Good narrative, but just lacked any real emotional outcome at the end

AnotherChapterAnotherChapter9 months ago

It felt real. I understand intimately the need people have to ask WHY. Unfortunately, I think the answer is rarely satisfying, usually obscure and ill-defined, and ultimately meaningless. The answer, all too often begins with the word “because” which is almost invariably an excuse for a lack of moral self-worth. It was refreshing that he did not need to ask that elusive question. She did and that was all the reason required to close the book. A cheating spouse is not a recipe that requires introspection.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Yeah, this is real. I could feel the pain. Thanks for sharing, hope this helped you move forward. It sucks that there are such selfish damaged people out there.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Another masterpiece from the master. I agree with AnotherChapter's comment. It's natural to ask "Why" because of our innate need to try and make sense of something that doesn't make sense but ultimately it's an exercise in futility because the question can never be satisfactorily answered and it doesn't really matter anyway.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I suspect this is a very realistic account of how things really are with a good therapist. He's right i think about not wanting to know anything about the lover. If he did then he would give power to that person because he'd want to do something to them. I can understand revenge for being wronged but ultimately it usually hurts the person doing it to. An ancient saying goes " Before setting out for vengeance first dig two graves" one of them is for yourself because some part of you dies if you exact personal revenge. Again another excellent story well worth top ratings. BardnotBard

RanDog025RanDog0253 months ago

Very well written! Thank you. 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Excellent story. Highly realistic. Her getting her tube tied after a planned surgical procedure to check her reproductive health is big, red flag. Not saying she was cheating then, but that she has psych issues at the very least. Alcoholism is rough, but then compound that with a FWB at one of the AA meetings and you get a forest fire. She was never going to be happy. She though that a secret affair with a drunk, alcoholic maintenence man in an apartment complex was going to spice up her life and make her happy. Anyways the MC survived. She was clearly a mentally disturbed person with addiction problems (Sean was another addiction). While I like the MC, he was a soft touch and how he let her jsut get away with ditching him in the restaurant and NOT letting him say hello, and came back six hours later is just beyond. At that point she knew she could get away with anything. Still he is string enough to survive. The darker side of me woukd have maybe preferred something more than her relationship with Sean imploding. Maybe something more like a nasty car accident where Sean was drunk and they have some real physical and legal problems. But meh the ending was OK. 5 stars.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...