The Gray Man Ch. 24 - Ana

Story Info
Gray confronts the Senator's Chief of Staff.
11.4k words
4.78
4.9k
4
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gray stepped off the US Air Force C-37, the military version of a Gulfstream V. Gray was angry. His pale green eyes scanned the tarmac of Joint Base Andrews with a calculated intensity. The whine of the engines of the aircraft were replaced by the subtle hum of bustling activity as Gray walked into a hangar. A crisp early winter breeze tousled his salt and pepper hair. In the past two weeks in The UK, Gray had stopped shaving and a short beard had started to appear. He wished it weren't quite so white, but he was growing to like it.

Ghost was accustomed to difficult assignments, but this one may be the most difficult yet. His agency had a leak, a leak that almost got him killed. He wasn't sure who to trust, or if he could trust anyone.

He had returned from Scotland, a land of mist-shrouded mountains and ancient castles, and a good working partnership with Fiona, an agent for MI-5. Today though, there was little time for nostalgia. The shadows of betrayal loomed large, and Gray's instincts told him that he was about to face the most treacherous mission of his career.

On the flight home, Admiral Barnett had informed Gray that he was being loaned to the National Counterintelligence and Security Center. They would be handling the investigation. Gray wasn't happy losing access to his team, but the Admiral reminded him that the leak happened from his team. The NCSC was also under the umbrella of The Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

Gray had seen his fair share of clandestine operations and high-stakes espionage. But the aftermath of his last mission left him restless, his thoughts a tempest of unanswered questions. There had been a leak -- a calculated breach of intelligence that had compromised the safety of his team and put countless lives at risk. The scent of duplicity hung in the air like a noxious fog, and Gray had been handpicked to unravel the web of deceit and find the malevolent traitor lurking within the ranks.

A car was waiting to whisk Gray straight to the ODNI's headquarters in McLean, Virginia. The building was large and sprawling, a bastion of secrecy and power. With MCI the relationships were almost familial while the corridors here were a labyrinth of classified secrets and enigmatic faces.

Gray reported to Malcolm Pierce. Pierce was a formidable figure with piercing gray eyes. Gray had met Pierce one or two times when both were younger. Gray with Task Force Red, and Pierce working with the CIA. Pierce awaited Gray in a dimly lit room deep within the heart of the facility.

"Ghost," Pierce's voice was gruff yet tinged with a hint of compassion, "it's good to see you. It's better to see you alive and at least somewhat well. It looks like you lost a fight with an alleycat."

TJ laughed, "Would you believe it if I told you this is what the winner looks like?"

Pierce chuckled, "And that is the very reason I have moved to a suit and tie living the life of a REMF.

Gray nodded, taking a seat opposite the Director. "Archangel, I won't rest until I've unearthed the rat in our ranks. They won't get away with this."

Pierce's expression softened,"Haven't heard that name in a long time." Pierce had read all of the reports from England and Scotland and knew the depth of Gray's commitment to duty and the gravity of the task ahead. "We've already begun the preliminary investigation. But this isn't just about plugging a leak. It's about sending a message -- a message that treachery will not be tolerated. In today's world there are too many people whose loyalties are easily swayed. Democrats don't trust Republicans, Republicans don't trust Democrats, the military doesn't trust civilians, civilians don't trust the military, and nobody trusts the government. Everyone sees themselves as the only beacon for truth and justice."

Gray's jaw tightened, the resolve in his eyes deepening. "With all due respect sir, that's the reason I prefer the front lines. The politics are just too cloudy, out there I know my job."

Pierce nodded, "Yes, Ghost you do. However, when your job is compromised by a traitor, our job is to eliminate the threat."

Gray nodded, "Aye - Aye, Sir."

Pierce laughed, "I'm not Steven Barnett, stop that Navy shit in here." Pierce then leaned forward, his voice lowered to a conspiratorial tone. "I've put a team for you -- specialists from various disciplines, each one with unique skills that complement your own. They will be your eyes and ears, your allies in the darkness. Trust them, Gray, for trust will be your greatest asset and most valuable currency in this perilous game."

Gray nodded in appreciation, knowing that in the world of espionage, alliances were fleeting and loyalties were tested with every step. But he also knew the strength of the bonds forged in the crucible of danger -- the camaraderie that came from relying on each other's skills and having each other's backs when bullets flew and shadows whispered.

The meeting concluded, Pierce watched as Ghost stood and walked to the door. He had known Gray 'back in the day,' and had been reading his file for the past two days. Archangel took comfort knowing that The Ghost had never been one to shy away from the shadows; instead, he embraced them, turning darkness into an ally as he navigated the treacherous landscape of international espionage.

As TJ walked outside of the door to be met by a young woman in her 20's. "Sir, I will take you to meet your team."

The young woman led him through the labyrinthine corridors of ODNI's headquarters, to a large carpeted conference room with computer monitors on two of the walls. Dark blue carpet, a long wooden table, with large leather chairs.

It was the first glimpse of the team that would join him in this harrowing quest. Each member bore the weight of their own experiences, their gazes firm and unyielding.Gray instinctively scanned the room, as he sized up the team. He observed their postures, the way they interacted with each other, and the subtle glances exchanged. It was a mix of excitement and nervous energy, a group of highly skilled individuals brought together for a singular purpose.

The fatigue had once again settled in. He had only been out of the hospital for 36 hours, had been debriefed, flown across the Atlantic Ocean, swept up in a waiting car and brought here. He looked at the group, "Archangel tells me that we are a team. I need to be honest, I am more comfortable in the field than in an Operations Center and I am much more comfortable working alone."

There was a nervous chuckle, Gray cocked his head in the direction of one of the team, a tall African American male who smiled at him, "That's why you are The Ghost."

Gray nodded, "I see that Pierce has shared all of my secrets. So, let's level the playing field. Who are you? What's your speciality?" He turned to his left, "You drew the short straw, you can go first." A young woman started to stand, "No need to be formal, I'm not a protocol guy."

The woman blushed gently as Gray watched her. She was short, Gray guessed maybe 5'1" in boots. Her dark, expressive eyes seemed to hold the secrets of a thousand worlds. Her pretty face was framed by thick, jet-black hair that cascaded in waves around her shoulders. "Rebecca Ramirez, Linguistics and Culture." She was young, but spoke with eloquence and precision, her voice carrying the weight of her intelligence and expertise. Her words were measured, yet conveyed a quiet authority that demanded respect from her peers.

Gray wasn't sure why Pierce had put a linguistics expert on a team that he hoped would focus its operations in the US. Gray nodded as he made a mental note that she was either there to report to Pierce through unofficial channels, or she was more than just a linguist. "Thanks Rebecca"

His pale green eyes moved to the man next to her.The young man who looked to be of Asian descent with black hair and dark eyes who lounged back in his chair with an air of casual confidence, the epitome of the tech-savvy, modern-day genius. "Caleb Nguyen, I'm your hacker. Codes, digital locks, you name it."

Again the tall black man smiled, "Don't let his modesty fool you, he's also a crack shot."

TJ looked at Caleb, "Good to know. If I'm honest I feel a little lost without my tech security blanket."

Caleb cocked his head, "Amber is good. Weird but good."

Gray nodded and turned his attention to the one making all of the comments. His tall, lean frame and chiseled features with a warm, easygoing smile invited camaraderie. His wardrobe looked like he had stepped off of the cover of GQ. "Malik Johnson, if you don't mind me saying, I'm you. You can pour a cup of coffee and not know I'm there until you look down and your cup is empty."

Rebecca turned towards her confident teammate. "Don't get ahead of yourself. You are good, but according to Pierce our boss is a legend."

TJ shook his head, "Good to meet you Malik." He turned to Rebecca, "Not a legend. If these cuts and bruises didn't give it away I didn't slip away unnoticed." He returned his attention to Malik, "Thanks, Malik."

His eyes drifted around the table to a striking woman, possibly in her early 30's if he had to guess. Her olive skin, striking features, and a cascade of rich, dark hair that fell gracefully past her shoulders, she had an air of enigmatic beauty that commanded attention.

Her piercing brown eyes had a penetrating gaze that hinted at her exceptional understanding of human behavior. There was a certain allure to her presence, an aura of confidence and mystery that drew people in, leaving them intrigued by the layers she concealed beneath the surface.

She sat with poise, her posture conveying both strength and grace. She had a way of holding herself that suggested she was always in control, her movements purposeful and deliberate. Her attire, a sleek combination of sophistication and practicality. She looked at her new boss, "Isabella Mendez, I'm your profiler."

Caleb laughed, "She's the shrink."

Isabella shook her head and returned her attention to Gray. "As I was saying, I am the profiler."

TJ chuckled, "That will come in handy. I've barely slept in a week, so I need someone who can tell me what we don't know."

Isabella nodded, "Roger that, Chief."

Gray turned his attention to the final person around the table. A woman with an athletic build and unwavering gaze. Her dark, expressive eyes held a fire within, a fierce resolve that burned brightly, matching her codename perfectly. She had a rich, dusky complexion, which complemented her jet-black hair, tied back in a practical ponytail.

She held Gray's gaze, the only one in the room that could match his intensity, ""I'm Aisha, I'm the mutt of the squad. Combat Medic by trade, but also a trained marksman."

TJ turned to the young woman sitting at a small table separate from the team, "Your turn."

The girl blushed, "I'm just the admin assistant."

TJ shook his head, "Bullshit, you are part of the team. Go."

Her voice was quiet as she adjusted her glasses. She had bright hazel eyes and shoulder-length, chestnut hair pulled back into a neat bun. "I'm Emily Dawson, I've been assigned as your Administrative Tech. I'll be your gopher, coffee maker, whatever you need."

TJ paused, "Wait a minute, I know you. You were on the G-4 staff at The Regiment."

Emily blushed a deep pink, "Yes, that's where I started."

TJ shook his head, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Ms. Dawson is a stud at what she does. Emily, no more sitting separately, you are a part of the team."

After the introductions were made, Gray, known as GHOST, took a moment to observe his team members. He wanted to see how they could handle awkward silence. He teepeed his fingers as he thought about what to say.

Finally, with his quintessential smirk Gray addressed his team as the introductions came to a close. "Thank you all for sharing a bit of yourselves with me," he began, his voice trying to hide the exhaustion that was again creeping up inside.. "We've got our work cut out for us. I hate traitors and that's what we are looking for."

He looked at Caleb, "Grab what you can on Nazir, his wife Fatima, and their entire operation. We may not know who the leak is, but I damn sure know who they are leaking info too."

He turned to Isabella, "There were two Belarusian assassins that tried to kill me a few weeks ago. They have since defected. Get with someone in The Hoover Building and talk to them."

He looked at the others, "Go through the debriefing documents from Fiona and I in Scotland with a fine tooth comb, grab any intel you can from it. Also, Ahmed was interviewed by the FBI Station Chief, go through that as well."

He looked at his watch, "It's 1430 hours, I need to go home and sleep in my own bed. Let's meet back here tomorrow at 0700 and bring me what you got."

Everyone stood except for Emily. When they all left she said, "Give me 5, Sir and I'll get you a driver to take you home."

Gray smiled and shared the famous Army greeting. "I'm not a Sir, I work for a living."

A car pulled to the Sally Port of the sprawling complex. TJ climbed in the back and opened a file folder containing all of the information he had asked his team to go over. He was lost in thought when the driver turned and said, "You're home, Sir. Would you like me to secure the house for you?"

Gray shook his head, "Thanks, but I'm good."

The driver looked in the rear view mirror, "Very well, I will stay in the car but I'll pick you up in the morning, 0600."

TJ smiled, "Again, thanks, but I am able to drive myself."

The pretty blonde driver stopped and looked over her shoulder. "No can do, Sir. I am assigned to you for the duration. Director Pierce would have my ass on a platter if something happened to you. I am your driver and personal security detail during working hours."

TJ's fatigue broke for a minute as he thought clearly, "Did you say security detail?"

She smiled, "Roger that, I am to be with your 6A to 6P. My partner has 6P to 6A."

TJ shook his head, "Then I should at least know your name, and please, stop calling me Sir. TJ, Gray, Boss - anything but Sir, that's reserved for only a few people in my orbit."

She smiled, "Not a problem, boss. My name is Victoria Sinclair - Vicky to most."

TJ nodded, "You are not staying in the car, and neither is your partner." Gray told her the door code to the front door as she stepped out of the driver's seat and spoke into the small microphone attached to the lapel of her jacket.

When she stepped around the front of the car, her eyes were on everything seemingly all at once. Gray watched as she conducted a perimeter check before she opened his door. Victoria had striking blue eyes, long blonde hair that cascaded around her shoulders. She was tall, Gray guessed 5'10" at least.

She opened Gray's door as TJ stepped out of the car, "At least let me pretend I'm doing my job and check the house."

TJ smiled, "If I say, no?"

She laughed, "Then I'll cuff you to that tree and do it anyway."

Gray shook his head, "I'm too tired to fight you, do your thing Victoria."

Vicky moved up the stairs and across the large porch, pushed in the door code and opened the door. As she moved through the living room, she heard a soft shuffle coming from the hallway. Instinctively, Vicky's hand moved to the holster of her sidearm, but she held her stance, not wanting to escalate the situation unnecessarily. Her training taught her to approach potential threats with caution and precision.

"Federal agent! Who's there?" Vicky called out, her voice firm but controlled.

From around the corner, Gretchen emerged, looking both startled and terrified.

Vicky's hand stayed on her sidearm as she quickly assessed the situation. The woman before her was a stranger, yet she bore a resemblance to Gray. Vicky realized who it was as her body relaxed, yet her hand stayed on her hip. "Gretchen, I assume?" Vicky inquired, her tone neutral as she sized up the unexpected visitor.

Gretchen's expression shifted from surprise to a mix of relief and suspicion. "Yes, that's right," she replied cautiously. "So, who the hell are you, and what are you doing here? Where is my cousin?"

"I'm Vicky Sinclair, part of Gray's security detail," she answered,

Gretchen looked puzzled, "Security, for TJ? Since when does TJ need security?"

Gray walked into the living room, "Some things have changed, Gretch."

Vicky relaxed as Gretchen moved to her cousin. "I'll check the rest of the house, then get your luggage, Sir," Vicky announced.

TJ nodded, "Sure thing, and it's not SIR."

Gretchen looked at her cousin, "Jesus Christ, what the hell happened to you?"

TJ hugged her, "After an assassination attempt and a couple of incidents overseas, the powers that be require me to have security until we get some shit figured out."

She stepped back, "Why didn't Mark tell me?"

Gray had prepared himself for this. As much as he prayed it wasn't the case, the cold hard reality was that the only person that knew of his movements in the UK was his best friend. "Nobody knows, Gretch. Not even Mark. These orders came from way up the food chain. As far as he knows I am still deployed."

Gretchen wasn't a Georgetown Law grad, a partner in a prestigious DC firm, and a damn good trial attorney, she was far from stupid. She did the math in her head before Gray could say anything else. "He told me he was headed to Germany for a few days. I came to check on the house since neither you nor Angela were around."

TJ nodded, "There are people keeping an eye on things in Michigan. Could I convince you to stay here until this shit gets squared away?"

Gretchen nodded, "I have a couple of weeks vacation. Nothing is on my docket. I can stay here. What should I tell Mark?"

Gray took a deep breath, "Tell him that you are going to Michigan to see your folks and the plan is for you to take our folks up to the Soo and that cell coverage sucks."

Gretchen nodded, her eyes welling up with tears, "Is he.." her voice trailed off as Gray pulled her into a hug.

He kissed the top of her head, "I don't know about anyone right now. Until Vicky's replacement comes, the two of you are the only people I trust."

Vicky had returned with Gray's luggage from the trip. When she had closed and locked the door she again spoke into her lapel, "Spectre is secure." TJ looked at her and wrinkled his nose, "Ghost is too well known, you are Spectre for now."

TJ nodded, "I need a shower and some dinner. You all decide what we want to eat and I'll be back down shortly."

Vicky looked at Gretchen then to TJ, "Sir.. I mean Boss, I go off at 6 and Mario comes on."

TJ paused on the steps, "Do you have anything else going on, plans, spouse, partner?"

Vicky paused, "No, Sir."

TJ continued the walk up the stairs calling over his shoulder. "I met my team today, and I want to meet my security detail tonight. You and Mario are going to have dinner with us here."

Gretchen smiled, "I've heard that tone of voice before, don't argue, just agree."

Vicky picked up her phone and called her replacement and told them the news as Gretchen called to order dinner for four. Portatinos had a group menu and Gretchen ordered enough to feed a small army. Wonderful portions of amazing Italian food.

Vicky directed Mario to pick up the food and bring it with him. At 1800 hours on the dot the front door opened. Mario Castro walked in with a box of food.

Mario stood about 6'4", thick shoulders, broad chest, narrow hips. He was a college tight end at South Carolina before transferring to Penn State until an injury ended his career. His short, dark hair is often hidden under a cap. In truth the only time Vicky had seen him without a cap was in meetings or a high end security detail.

The four ate and got to know each other until just after 2000 hours when Vicky and Mario moved to the foyer before officially handing over the duty for the night. Gretchen asked innocently, "If you are trying to catch someone shouldn't your cars be in the garage or something?"