The Gray Man Ch. 46 - Kimberly

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

TJ nodded, "Agent.."

Andrews stopped him, "Please, it's Mark."

Gray shrugged, "Mark, I'm not saying I won't help, but this is like finding a needle in a haystack in our world today. If we can't officially use the agency, it's like finding the right haystack in Nebraska, then looking for the needle."

Andrews' brown eyes closed slowly, "Yeah, I told Sarah that."

Gray cocked his head, "Sarah?"

He smiled, "She and I went to college together. I've known her for 30 years. She and her husband are family friends of my wife and I."

TJ took a deep breath, "Got ya - that explains things a bit clearer. No offense, but a negotiator usually doesn't show up until we have a ransom demand or can talk to the bad guy."

Mark sipped his coffee, "True, I think I still remember some of the training from my Academy days for this investigative shit. Truly though, that's where you and your team come to bear. Pelican is gaining a reputation for getting dirty and getting shit done without ten thousand layers of red tape."

Gray winked, "That's what we do."

Mark Andrews slid a thumb drive across the desk. "This is everything we have on Avery, including the police reports from not only the Stanford University Public Safety, as well as from the South Lake Tahoe PD - she was last seen cross country skiing the Tahoe Rim Trail.

An hour later TJ was sitting at his laptop pouring over all of the details he had on Avery Michaels.

Avery Michaels:

Age 20

Daughter of Daniel and Andrea Michaels. Sophomore at Stanford, majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in political science. 5'6" 127 pounds, long chestnut brown hair, blue eyes. Active with student government and on the debate team. Current boyfriend is Ryan Johnson 6'2" a Junior who is a central defender on the Stanford soccer team.

TJ clicked on the tab marked South Lake Tahoe PD. He read the initial report: On 11 NOV at 1913 hours the South Tahoe PD received a report of a missing person on the Tahoe Rim Trail. The victim, identified as Avery Michaels, was last seen skiing with her sorority sisters on a long weekend excursion. According to witness statements, Avery and her group were skiing near the Echo Lakes area when they became separated due to adverse weather conditions.

Search and rescue teams were dispatched to the area, but adverse weather conditions and low visibility hindered search efforts. Despite extensive search operations, Avery Michaels has not yet been located.

TJ opened the witness statements:

Witness Statements: The first three witnesses are sorority sisters of Ms. Michaels, they were on the trail together. The four women are all members of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.

Jennifer Adams: "Avery and I were skiing together, and we got separated from the group when the weather turned bad. We tried to find our way back to the trailhead, but visibility was poor. I was skiing in front of her along the trail and didn't fully realize she wasn't behind me until we arrived at the trailhead. That's when I called 911."

Sarah Johnson: "I was with Avery and Jennifer when we got separated from the rest of the group. We tried to stay together, but the snow was coming down hard, and we lost sight of each other."

Emma Thompson: "I stayed behind as the others went skiing near Echo Lakes. I was sore from the day before, but also had too much to drink the night before and the idea of pushing my body wasn't going to happen. I started calling them when the storm moved in and drove to the trailhead. You could barely see 3 feet in front of you on the drive."

The fourth statement is what intrigued TJ, this was made by a server at one of the local night spots at the resort. Michelle Williams: "I overheard an older man talking to the girls. At first it was fun and flirty, he bought them a couple of rounds of drinks. As the evening progressed though he became more belligerent, almost demanding. The flirtatious banter became aggressive with inappropriate comments to the four women. He became almost enraged and wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally, the girls were able to get away from him and slip out of the place when he went to the bathroom."

TJ's eyes nearly bugged out of his head, "What the actual fuck? No description, no name, no follow up on a threat when a woman has gone missing."

TJ picked up the phone and dialed the number of Mark Andrews. "You need to come to my office - I need to lean on your credentials for a minute." An hour later Mark Andrews picked up the phone on Gray's desk and dialed.

Detective Sarah Ramirez sighed heavily as the phone on her desk rang insistently. She glanced at the caller ID, recognizing the number as one from the South Tahoe PD. With a resigned shake of her head, she picked up the receiver.

"This is Detective Ramirez," she answered, her tone curt.

"Detective Ramirez, Mark Andrews, FBI," came the voice on the other end.

Ramirez's demeanor shifted slightly at the mention of the FBI. "What can I do for you, Agent Andrews?" she replied, a touch more cordially.

"I'm calling about the Avery Michaels case," Andrews said. "I need you to get me up to speed on your investigation."

Ramirez hesitated for a moment before responding. "I can't discuss ongoing investigations with outsiders," she stated firmly.

There was a pause on the line before Andrews spoke again. "I understand your position Detective but I don't think you understand mine. Ms. Michaels is a family friend and I have taken a personal interest in this case. So, we can play nice, or I can get all official and that doesn't help either of us, and damn sure doesn't help find Avery."

Reluctantly, Ramirez relented. "Fine. What do you want to know?"

Andrews wasted no time in getting to the point. "Simple, what's the status of your investigation? Have you made any progress since the initial report from two days ago?"

Ramirez sighed, feeling the weight of the case bearing down on her. "We're treating it as a missing person at the moment," she explained. "We have search teams out, including cadaver dogs, but so far, we haven't found any sign of Avery."

Before Andrews could respond, Ramirez heard a shuffle on the line, followed by a deeper voice.

"Ramirez, My name is TJ Gray," came the voice, dripping with frustration. "Why haven't you followed up on the witness account of the man harassing the women the night before Avery disappeared?"

Ramirez felt a surge of irritation at the accusatory tone in Gray's voice. "An account of a man harassing college girls. Do you know how many of those we get every weekend here?" Do you know how many women wake up with someone and freak out because in their drunken state just cheated on their fiance or husband and want to scream rape? The girl got lost in the storm and we will eventually find her."

Gray's voice crackled over the line, his frustration palpable even through the phone. "Ramirez, this is not just another drunken college incident," he retorted sharply. "This is a young woman who went missing under suspicious circumstances, with a suspect making threats towards her just 12 hours before she went missing. Yet, you are treating this like a lost skier and if this is more than a lost skier then I will make every waking moment of the rest of what will be a very short career a living hell. Do I make myself clear?"

Ramirez bristled at Gray's tone, but she maintained her composure. "I understand your concern, Mr. Gray," she replied, her voice firm. "But I assure you, we take all reports seriously. Our priority right now is to locate Ms. Michaels and bring her home safely." Ramirez started to speak again but the line went dead.

Sarah Ramirez closed her phone and shook her head, "Motherfuck me - happy fucking Monday."

Less than 24 hours later Detective Sarah Ramirez sat at her desk, her brow furrowed in concentration as she sifted through a stack of case files when there was a knock at her door. "Sarah," the desk Sergeant announced "There is a Mr. Gray here to see you about the Avery Michaels case."

The sudden appearance of the 6'1" former Army Ranger in her office was a bit off putting to the young detective. She stood and held out her hand as she tried to meet and match the intensity of his green eyed gaze, "Mr. Gray," she greeted, her tone guarded. "I have to say I am a bit surprised that you came all the way out here. Especially since you aren't FBI - I did a little digging myself and truly you are a bit of a ghost it seems."

Gray pulled a card out of his pocket that read, 'Rear Admiral Stephen Barnett - Assistant Director of Intelligence - Office of Homeland Security.' "Call him."

Detective Ramirez's fingers trembled slightly as she dialed the number on the card that TJ Gray had handed her. She wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but she knew she had to make the call. After a few rings, a deep voice answered on the other end.

"Admiral Barnett speaking," came the authoritative voice.

"Admiral Barnett, this is Detective Ramirez from the South Tahoe PD," she began, her voice steady despite her nerves. "I'm calling about TJ Gray."

There was a brief pause on the line before the Admiral responded, his tone measured. "Yes, Detective Ramirez. Go on."

Ramirez took a deep breath, "He is standing in my office and asking about an ongoing investigation. This is an active investigation and I am not at liberty to divulge any details."

Barnett growled, "Do you know who you are speaking to, Detective? Trust me when I tell you that my authority and jurisdiction far exceeds yours and that Mr. Gray's security clearance is the highest our government allows."

Ramirez paused, "I do know who you are, Sir. I don't know who he is. He isn't on NCIC,LEADS, hell he isn't even found on Google. It's like he's a fucking ghost."

Ramirez heard the Admiral chuckle, "He is The Ghost, Detective. Mr Gray is who he says he is and he operates with the full authority of my office," he confirmed. "Trust me when I tell you that it is in your best interest to cooperate with him."

Ramirez felt a knot form in the pit of her stomach at the Admiral's words. She knew she couldn't afford to underestimate TJ Gray or his connections. "Understood, Admiral," she replied, her voice tight. "Thank you for your cooperation."

As she hung up the phone, Ramirez couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over her. With the Admiral's endorsement, it was clear that TJ Gray was not to be taken lightly. She slowly looked up knowing that she would have to tread carefully if she wanted to navigate the murky waters of this investigation. She tried to control her own breathing as she pushed a button on her phone, "Chief, could you come here please."

3 minutes later, Chief Doug Simonton walked into the detectives office, "What's up, Sarah?"

Sarah Ramirez introduced the Chief to Gray and explained to the Chief about her conversation with ADNI. The Chief took the chair opposite of TJ as he nodded to Gray to begin to which TJ wasted no time in getting to the point. "Detective Ramirez, I want to know why you haven't followed up on the witness account of the man harassing the girls in the bar the night before Avery disappeared," he demanded, his voice laced with barely restrained anger.

Ramirez hesitated, taken aback by the directness of TJ's approach. She cleared her throat, regaining her composure. "She was separated from her friends in a blizzard, Mr. Gray. The chances of her being lost are greater than her being abducted. Only idiots would have been on that trail Saturday morning! We are doing everything we can to locate and rescue or recover Ms. Michaels," she insisted, her tone firm.

But TJ wasn't satisfied with her response. "That's not good enough, Detective," he shot back, his frustration evident. "This is a young woman's life we're talking about. Every lead needs to be followed up on, no matter how insignificant it may seem."

The Chief started to interject but Ramirez let him know that she could handle it. Her gaze flickered with uncertainty as she absorbed TJ's words. "I'll be honest with you, Mr. Gray," she confessed, her voice tinged with frustration. "I've never met you before, and I understand you're concerned. We are stretched thin as are most agencies. The young officer who took the statement from the witness wrote down the wrong phone number, and I've been unable to follow up with her."

TJ's expression darkened at the revelation, his frustration boiling over. "Unacceptable," he growled, his voice low and dangerous. "If you won't do your job, then I'll do it for you."

The Chief stood and moved between Gray and his detective. "Mr. Gray, I assure you that we are doing everything by the book."

TJ cocked his head, his brows furrowed, "Then I'll throw away the damn book, Chief and do it my way."

With that, TJ turned on his heel and stormed out of the police department, leaving Ramirez and her Chief to grapple with the weight of his words. When her door slammed Simonton grumbled, "Great, a fucking cowboy."

Ramirez shook her head, "Don't be so quick, Chief. According to the Assistant Director of Intelligence at Homeland, a fucking 2 star Admiral says he's the real deal."

TJ made his way to the bar along a busy snow covered street that had as many snow machines as cars lined up. When he walked in he spoke to the manager and found out that the woman who had given the statement to the police was a ski instructor. With the afternoon sun casting long shadows, Gray approached the cozy ski lodge where Michelle Williams worked as an instructor. He found her sitting outside, enjoying a moment of respite after a long day on the slopes.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for Michelle Williams." TJ said quietly.

Michelle nodded, offering him a friendly smile. "That's me. Can I help you with something?"

TJ took a seat across from her, his expression serious. "I'm TJ Gray. I'm investigating the disappearance of Avery Michaels. I understand you gave a statement to the police about an incident at the bar the night before she went missing."

Michelle's expression darkened at the mention of Avery's name. "Yeah, I did," she confirmed, her voice tinged with frustration. "There was this guy, real sketchy-looking. Bald with a salt and pepper goatee. Probably in his forties, around six feet tall, and built like a linebacker."

TJ nodded, taking note of the description. "Did you see him interact with Avery or her friends?"

Michelle shook her head. "Yeah, but not just her group of friends. He was definitely making the rounds, bothering all the girls. I saw him getting handsy with a few of them before I decided to leave."

TJ's jaw tightened at the revelation. "Thank you, Michelle. You've been a big help," he said sincerely.

Later that afternoon, TJ returned to the bar, his expression steely as he approached the manager once more. "I need to see the security footage from the night Avery disappeared," he demanded, his tone brooking no argument.

The manager hesitated, clearly reluctant to comply. But TJ's resolve was unwavering, and his threat was clear. "You can show me nicely, or I'll have my tech folks hack your system and shut everything down," he warned, his voice cold.

Faced with no other choice, the manager reluctantly led TJ to the security room, where they pulled up the footage from that fateful night. As they watched the grainy images flicker across the screen, TJ's focus sharpened. When the bald headed man with a goatee came into focus TJ snapped a picture with his phone and sent it off to the folks in DC.

The manager stopped, "Got what you need?"

TJ shook his head, "Nope, I want to see him leave too. Need to see if we can find his car."

They scrolled through footage until they found him getting into a white Jeep. Gray was able to get a partial plate which would have to be enough for his team to work their magic. By 7 AM local time on Wednesday morning Gray knew that the Jeep was a rental out of Las Vegas and that it had been rented by a woman from Illinois.

Gray's phone buzzed. When he looked down he saw the information on the woman who had rented the SUV. Rebecca Ramirez, the lead intel analyst attached a note. "RUNNING THE MALE THROUGH FACIAL RECOGNITION WORKING NOW ON THE CONNECTION- THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR."

Gray opened the.PDF file and first saw a picture. Thin face, glasses, short, blonde hair with gray streaks that looked uncolored. Kimberly Anderson, 47, Arlington Heights, Illinois. She was a Speech Language Pathologist in private practice. Married - 2 college aged children. Gray scrolled and found pictures of her husband and both of her children. The man in the picture did not resemble the man in the video from the bar.

Gray closed his phone, "Why was the bald guy driving an SUV rented by Kimberly Atkinson?" he mumbled to himself.

He didn't have to wait long for an answer. By noon, back in Virginia, Intelligence Analyst Rebecca Ramirez scrutinized the grainy security footage, her trained eye parsed through the pixels with meticulous precision. The image showed the face and build of the man from the bar. He wore a cap, but with the description being that he was bald, Ramirez was able to work the grainy image into something that the algorithm could decipher. Rebecca worked with two of the tech experts that Allen Babin had tasked to work at Sentinel.

With a subtle keystroke, the tech enhanced the image, isolating key facial markers and contours, piecing together a digital mosaic of identity. Lines of code danced across her screen as algorithms whirred into action, dissecting the nuances of the human face with mathematical precision.

After moments that seemed to stretch into eternity, the screen blinked to life, revealing a name etched in digital clarity: Dr. Matthew Young, a chiropractor based in the tranquil enclave of Lake Barrington, Illinois. 88% Certainty.

Rebecca now had to figure out why Dr. Young was driving an SUV rented by Mrs. Anderson in Vegas. It was easier than she thought. A quick look at events happening in Vegas saw that there was a large HEALTH AND WELLNESS Expo going on in DC. As she scrolled she found that event was for those in the helping professions. Physical Therapists, Massage Therapists, Chiropractors etc. As she scrolled down the information she even found a couple of workshops for Caregivers in Private Practice.

Before she called Gray, Rebecca did some old fashioned intelligence work. She called both Dr. Young's office and Kimberly Anderson's office to schedule an appointment. She received the same answer from both offices. Both were out of town attending a conference but would be back in the office the next week. "Bingo," she whispered as she called her boss to give him the news.

Rebecca awakened her phone and pushed Gray's number. A small smirk crossed her face as the phone rang.

TJ pushed the green answer call button on his screen, "Talk to me Becca - what did you find?"

"Hey Boss," she began, her voice hiding her excitement at being one step closer to finding the missing girl. "The guy in the security footage is Dr. Matthew Young, the chiropractor from Lake Barrington, Illinois. About a 30 minute drive from Kimberly Anderson."

There was a brief silence on the other end of the line. "Draw it out for me, what are you thinking?"

Rebecca's thoughts coalesced with the clarity of revelation. "Dr. Young and Mrs. Anderson," she continued, her words measured yet tinged with a hint of urgency, "are both attending a Wellness Conference in Vegas. I believe they're together, Gray. And I suspect their relationship extends beyond the professional."

There was a pregnant pause as Gray absorbed the implications of Rebecca's deduction. In the world of clandestine operations, such revelations carried weighty consequences, the delicate balance of trust and betrayal hanging in the balance.

"Great work as always, keep me posted if you find anything else. Looks like I'm heading to Vegas."