The Greatest of These is Love Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, Dawn, you're heading back to Phelps Bluff tomorrow?" Irving inquired with a thoughtful look on his face. He had something on his mind but needed to discuss it with others before taking any action.

"Yes, sir. We'll head back to Freedom late this afternoon and I'll head out tomorrow morning. It's only about a six hours' drive, regardless if I go East or South or East then South. I do want to let the sun rise a bit before I head out, though. It promises to be a long, lonesome drive, unfortunately. I may have to call John a couple of times along my way." Dawn smiled at her little teasing of John. She had every intention of having a long call with him as she drove.

"And when do your classes resume?" Jewel asked sweetly.

"The day after MLK, Jr Day. January 19th," John answered. "I'll probably get my bus from Freedom to Springfield on that Sunday before," he said, resigned to a ride with a lot of stops in between.

"It's going to be a very long four weeks," Dawn sighed. "But I'm sure we'll make it through with the love and care of our families." Irving nodded, sagely.

"You won't come back up here before then?" Margaret asked.

"I don't think so, Mrs. Wilson. I think we both need some time with our families without the wonderful distraction of the other. Besides, I need to reclaim my dog. Gypsy kind of latched onto John during his time at my home."

That got a chuckle out of Irving and it led to further discussion about Dawn's family and how warmly they had accepted John, except for her brothers. Amid all the conversations, the meal was finished. When Dawn rose from her chair to reach for dishes to return to the kitchen, John's grandmother stopped her.

"Just leave everything on the table for now. Come, let's go sit in the living room and allow our food to settle a bit."

During the post‑lunch discussion, Jewel broached the subject of the Family Reunion she and Helen were planning. They had confirmation from John's Uncle Sam who would be coming in from Chicago. They hoped that Irving's and Jewel's mother, Susan, would be able to come, but she was rather frail and didn't care to travel.

"Helen's trying to track down some people from her side of the family as well. We've had a fair number of our kinfolk pass on in these last ten years or so." Then Jewel brightened up. "No matter! We'll have a party with whoever can come. Dawn, I sincerely hope you can come with John."

"It's on our calendar, Aint Jewel," Dawn said with her intentional Southern drawl and a smile that got an ear‑to‑ear smile in return.

At long last, the conversation began to wane. Jewel stood and pulled Dawn into a big, warm, heartfelt hug.

"You are a very well‑spoken young lady, Dawn, and a genuine delight. I was right about sensing a non‑blooded kinship with you. You take good care of our Johnny, okay?"

"I hear you, Aint Jewel. Ah'll do my best to keep him outta trouble and bring him back here for the Reunion."

Margaret and Irving stood and pulled John into a long, tight embrace.

"We missed you so much at Thanksgiving, Johnny. Now we understand why, and we're good with your decisions. Please come back and see us again before you return to school. We love you so much!" his grandmother murmured in his ear.

"You've got a keeper there, John. Do everything you can to hold onto her," his grandfather advised. "Be sure to call us when you get home safely, please."

"I will, Grandpa," John promised.

Aunt Jewel pulled John into a fierce embrace, speaking softly into his ear.

"Do as your grandfather, my big brother, said, John. Hold her close and care for her. You two look very good together and quite happy. That makes me happy and hopeful for your future." She gave John a quick peck on his lips and swirled out the door.

"Can I help you clear the table, Mrs. Wilson?" Dawn asked once Jewel had departed.

"No, dear, Irving needs to earn his pay. You two need to get back to Freedom before it gets too dark." Margaret pulled Dawn into a tight hug and kissed her on the cheek. "I know that I speak for Irv in this matter. You have our approval and blessing. Keep John safe, will you?"

At the older woman's acceptance, tears threatened to burst forth from Dawn's eyes.

"Okay. We'll call when we get to John's parents' place. Thank you so much for the excellent food and an even better opportunity to get to know each other more. Come on, John. You're navigating us back home."

= [] = [] =

End of Part 6 of "The Greatest of These is Love"

Part 7 is coming