The Greatest Witch Hunter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Out of options, I threw it anyway. As the dagger reached her shield, it abruptly stopped in midair. Morgana's face suddenly changed expressions. No longer one of grim determination, she smiled, as if aware of some new insight. Or more likely, she was just pleased at how easily she stopped the witch hunter's dagger.

Grasping the amulet, she shouted out a strange spell, then cried out, "'O happy dagger! This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die'." The dagger wobbled, then quickly resumed its deadly path, striking her in the heart. Morgana slumped down; the amulet fell to the floor. "I end so that I may begin." Morgana's eyes closed and her chin lowered.

What? Did Morgana just die? Or is this another one of her tricks?

Finn stood up, freed from Morgana's spell. "What just happened?"

"I don't know, Finn."

The amulet began to glow. Fearing it might explode, or release some new evil, I stepped back and pressed myself against the opposite wall, then started moving around the table to be with Finn. A haze appeared above the amulet, and as it rose, an apparition appeared. Then, a second apparition rose from Morgana's body.

I yelled to Finn, "She must have stored her immortality in the amulet! That's why she wanted it so badly. And now we have neither dagger nor amulet." The two apparitions met together and hovered over Morgana's body, then began to assume human form. "Get ready to run Finn!"

Finn stared intently at the apparitions. "No, Lizbet! Wait!"

**********

Chapter 20 - Together Again

**********

As the two apparitions gained clarity and continued to manifest themselves, one looked just like Finn! The other is like Morgana! They joined hands and kissed. The male form looked at the female form and said, "At last, we are together, Morgana! Eighty-five years, locked away in an amulet. No wonder I feel like I've been through the wringer."

The male apparition glided towards Finn. "Who's this ugly mug? Why, you are the spitting image of me, or at least, what I once was."

The Morgana apparition said, "Phineas, meet your great-grandson, also named Phineas. Like you, he is a witch hunter, though not a very good one."

Finn said, "It is an honor to meet you, sir. Please, you can call me Finn."

"The honor is mine, Finn. And who's this Red-Hot Tomato standing next to you? She's cute as a bug's ear."

I replied, "My name is Lizbet. I'm a friend of Finn. I'm a witch too, but not an evil one like Morgana."

Finn quickly asked, "Why did you kiss her, great-grandfather? Isn't Morgana the one who killed you?"

"No, No, No. Where did you ever hear such a tale? You're way off base. Open your peepers! I love Morgana."

Finn was as confused as I was. "But you're dead, I mean, your diary says you went to New York City in 1938 to kill Morgana, except you're the one who ended up dead."

"Oh, I did buy the farm, but Morgana wasn't the one who killed me. I found her hiding in Belvedere Castle, and we fought for several minutes. It was a classic battle, myself, whom I can modestly say was known as the Greatest Witch Hunter ever, against one of the most famous witches of all time."

Morgana interrupted. "'One' of the most famous, Phineas?"

"'The lady doth protest too much, methinks'. OK! Ok! The most famous witch of all time! I had backed her into a corner. There was no chance for escape. She was a goner. But then I lowered my dagger. I could not bring myself to kill the woman I loved."

"And seeing him defenseless, I too, could not bring myself to cast a killing spell on the man I loved. We declared a truce and sat down to talk. After several hours of wonderful conversation, we picked up where we left off in Salem. Returning to Phineas' hotel room, we had sex in the bathtub, then on the bed, and again the following morning."

I glanced over at Finn, and he returned a blushing smile.

"At breakfast the next day, I dropped to one knee in the restaurant and proposed marriage to Morgana."

"And, of course, I accepted."

"I swore an oath to Morgana to forever give up witch hunting and presented her with my dagger as proof."

"And I agreed to surrender my immortality and live the rest of a mortal life with Phineas, growing old with him. To do this, I used magic to transfer my immortality into the amulet and gave it to Phineas."

"After breakfast, we found a justice of the peace and got married. To celebrate, we went to dinner at Sardi's and onto the Shubert Theatre to see an appropriately named play, 'I Married an Angel'. It was a wonderful play, quite funny, but we were eager to return to our hotel room and officially consummate our marriage, so we left just before the final scene. As we stepped outside, I saw two men walk up to another departing patron. I was horrified when I saw one packing heat, and he shot the man right in front of us. As the two goons made tracks, I rushed to the aid of the fallen man."

Morgana continued the story. "As Phineas tried to assist, a car slowly drove past. Two more shots rang out, striking Phineas in the back. He fell forward and rolled onto his side. In my rage, I considered pursuing the car but knew I had to tend to Phineas. I used magic to stop the bleeding and heal his flesh, but the internal damage was too severe, even for my healing skills."

"I knew I was done for, and with my last breath, I asked Morgana if there was any way we could be together. I smiled when she nodded yes, and we kissed for the last time. My final words, 'Romeo and Juliet, Act 5, Scene 3. 'Thus, with a kiss, I die'."

"Unlike Juliet, I still had hope. Through my tears, I retrieved my immortality from the amulet and cast a spell on the amulet and Phineas. If Phineas were to die, as we both suspected, his spirit would pass into amulet so I could resurrect him later. As a crowd gathered around us, Phineas died in my arms. The police arrived on the scene, moving everyone back, including me. Listening amongst the crowd, I learned the other patron was a mobster."

"That explains it. Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 5. 'Murder most foul, as in the best it is. But this most foul, strange, and unnatural.' For years, I had read stories in the Boston Post about mob-related killings in New York, but I never expected to be caught up in one."

"The police removed both bodies, including the amulet holding Phineas' life force. Being unfamiliar with New York, I spent most of the next day trying to locate where they had taken him. When I went to the morgue to claim the body, the staff refused, as I had no proof with me of any claim. I rushed back to the hotel to retrieve our marriage license, but by the time I returned, they had closed."

"I returned the following morning, but heavy traffic delayed me. When I arrived, I discovered the body had been claimed by several business associates and the amulet with it. I was able to trace his body to Boston, but there, the trail vanished."

"I needed two things to resurrect Phineas. One was the amulet, the other the resurrection spell. After Phineas died, I spent several decades searching for the amulet. Hour after hour of scrying, hoping to see a vision to let me know where to look. But to no avail."

She continued. "Long ago, I knew the resurrection spell, as taught to me by Merlin. I recorded the complex spell in my Grimoire, but the book was lost in a fire in 1647 when my home burned down during the English witch hunts. It was a dangerous time, even for me, so I fled to Salem. After losing Phineas, I searched for any trace of the resurrection spell, looking in ancient texts, walking the precarious line between light and shadow, drawing on forces best left unspoken. But again, to no avail. I realized the resurrection spell had fallen into lore, lost forever."

"Eighty-five Years! No one can understand the emptiness I felt inside, searching for my lost soulmate. Eighty-five Years! Always looking. Always searching. Never getting any closer. Then, young Phineas literally fell into my life with the amulet. I so wanted to believe he was my resurrected Phineas! But then, just as suddenly, it was 1938 all over again, and he was gone."

**********

Chapter 21 - Parting Gifts

**********

"Just now, when Finn told me who he was, I realized I loved Phineas more than life itself. My only hope to be reunited would be to release him from the amulet and join him in the spirit world. The dagger Lizbet threw merely hastened the inevitable. Now, Phineas and I are together, at last."

"Wow!" Finn asked, "So the Arthurian Legends are true?"

Morgana replied, "Of course they are. Arthur was my half-brother. I confess to playing my part, but ultimately, like all great kingdoms, Camelot fell from within. As for truth, let's say the legends have been embellished a bit by each teller of the tale."

Worried, I asked, "When they learn you died, won't your coven try to avenge your death?"

"After Phineas died, I returned to Salem and disbanded my coven. I haven't had one since. Many witches approached me and continued to do so, wanting to learn the darkest secrets of witchcraft. I only pretend to let them in to guide them back to the light. My reputation is a powerful magnet, attracting them, so I foster it, to help them."

The elder Phineas spoke to Finn. "Young Phineas, since you are now a witch hunter, I have some advice for you. I am willing to wager there are still plenty of dark witches out there, but remember, you are a hunter, not a killer. Talk to them. Reason with them. Help them return to the light, just as I was able to do with Morgana."

"I will, great grandfather."

"It is time for Morgana and I to leave you. I can't wait to explore our new realm. Hey Morgana, maybe we can find a dance hall to haunt and cut a rug."

Phineas looked at Morgana, who shook her head.

"Any good gin joints around here where we can get sauced? Preferably one who doesn't cut the whiskey?"

Again, Morgana shook her head.

"OK then. Is that Orson Welles fella still doing radio broadcasts? That Martian thing had us going. Maybe we can fire up the radio and tune in something good."

"Phineas, the world has changed quite a bit since you left it eighty-five years ago. There's a lot I need to teach you."

"Then what do people do for fun today?"

I chimed in, holding my hands up and forming a small rectangle. "Mostly, people look at a little movie screen about this size, and watch other people doing things."

"It must take some pretty powerful magic, but still, it doesn't sound like much fun."

"It all depends on which movie screen you are looking at Phineas," said Morgana. "One thing hasn't changed between a man and a woman in thousands of years."

"Oh! Well, then!" said Phineas. "I catch your drift. Then how about we find a romantic spot and consummate our marriage?"

"And just how do you intend to do that, Phineas? We are both nothing more than spectral vapour."

"Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 5. 'There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy'. We will find a way, Morgana, or die trying."

"Very funny, Phineas. We'll have to hurry because I want to get to the Salem Witches' Magic Circle tonight in the Commons. It should be interesting watching it from the other side of the veil."

"One question before you go," I asked. "If only witch hunters can wield their daggers, then how was I able to kill Morgana?"

Morgana looked at me. "It seems that being a spirit has certain advantages. I can see the Life Forces of the living, the dead, and the unborn. It wasn't you wielding the dagger, Lizbet, it was your son."

"Wait! I don't have a son."

"Would you care to do the honors, Phineas?"

Turning to Finn, the elder Phineas said, "Life is short son. Since earthly resurrection is bupkis, you only get one chance. If you have the hots for this doll, then marry her. If Morgana's words jive, then this lady carries my great-great-grandson. Teach him to be the best witch hunter he can be. Take my dagger as a wedding gift from me. It is an ancient weapon, quite powerful. It will protect you and your new family."

Morgana added, "Finn, our marriage license from 1938 is beneath the dagger stand on the mantle. As legal heir, you will inherit this house, my many lifetimes of fortune, and my cat. Take good care of her."

Looking at me, she continued. "And Lizbet, I would like you to have my spell book. There are many rare and powerful healing spells within. Accept the amulet as a wedding present from me. More is stored there than just the spirit of a crusty old witch hunter. Hold it next to your heart, think of the one you love, and all will be revealed! Farewell to you both!"

"Crusty? What do you mean crusty?" yelped the elder Phineas, his voice slowly fading, along with his spectral image. "I'm not the one a thousand years old!"

Just before her last wisps vanished, Morgana called out, "Look for us next Halloween, when spirits freely roam the earth, seeking out friends among the living."

THE END

*****

The magic represented in this story is a hodge podge of legends and the writer's imagination and is not intended to represent any specific type or style of contemporary magic.

If you have read my story this far, you have fallen under my spell. Surrender to it. Do not fight it. Do not resist! Leave a vote or comment for my story, as well as for all the other wonderful HHalloween Story Contest 2023 stories!