The Guardians of Justice Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hai, Sire." they said simultaneously. They added their blood to the copper bowl."

Then I said more loudly: "Since ancient days, the Japanese daimyos and Clan leaders had advisors that were trusted completely, and who gave sage advice and even warnings. This Clan is no exception in its need for such a wise advisor. Griswold-san, will you honor us by joining Clan Troy as our senior advisor?"

"It is I who am honored to join your Clan." growled Griswold. Mariko applied the lidocaine and drew the blood, and Chief Griswold added his blood to ours. I then got the saké bottle (which was on a shelf in the pedestal under the copper bowl), poured some of it into the bowl, added some lighter fluid, then lit a long match and used it to light the mixture. It burned fiercely for a moment with a blue alcohol flame.

I then used a cloth to clean off Teresa's pendant, and put it back around her neck. She did the same for me. I took first one pendant then another and cleaned them off, then handed them to Teresa, who put them around the necks of her husband and their friend.

Then came the final pendant. I cleaned it off, then stepped behind Chief Griswold and put it around his neck. His mustaches were quivering with emotion, I noticed. It is possible that I had a lump in my throat, as well.

"That ends this ceremony," I said, "but I have a small gift for Chief Griswold, to honor the occasion."

"Before you do that, I have something to say." said Griswold. "I want to thank you, all of you, for what you've done tonight, and for remembering Charlie in this way." He bowed and we all bowed back. Even Masaki-san was working hard to keep his emotions back.

"On the brighter side," I said, "I have this for my chief advisor." I took out from the shelf a sash, made of metal links, like what Worf the Klingon wore in the Star Trek shows and movies. I'd gotten it at one of the Cosplay conventions at the Civic Center.

On it was fastened a metal icon, red-bordered, black background, and gold-edged red diamonds shooting from the center point. I put it over Chief Griswold's right shoulder and fastened it at the bottom, near his left hip.

"Welcome to the House of Troy, Chief!" I said. The old Chief was beaming as everyone applauded.

"I have got to get me one of these!" Todd said, a mischievous grin on his handsome face.

"My Christmas shopping just got easier." Teresa replied...

Part 31 - Decision Points

9:00pm, still Tuesday, October 16th. A BOW Enterprises limousine delivered Chief Griswold back to his home. Cindy, Callie, and Phyllis Troy were there, staying with Mrs. Griswold.

"How was it, Chief?" Cindy asked when he came in.

"Very nice." said the Chief, keeping his voice on the quiet side. "I'm officially a Klingon in the House of Troy." He showed them the metal sash with the icon on it. Cindy noticed that Phyllis's look as she saw it was... inscrutable.

"Before we go, Chief," said Cindy, "can I talk to you for a moment? Alone?"

"Sure." said the Chief. "Let's go light a fire in the pot, and let the fish know we're still here." As they went to the back door, Cindy noticed that Callie had dropped her eyes and was looking at the floor... and that Phyllis was peering at Callie.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The fire pot in the backyard was lit, giving them some warmth against the chill of the nighttime air that hinted of the coming of Winter.

"Oh my goodness." said Griswold as Cindy told him of her condition.

"I trust your advice, Chief." Cindy said, which she could see warmed the Chief's heart. "I'm not sure what to do. I could end it, or I could have the baby and give it up for adoption..."

"What does Callie say?" asked the Chief.

"She says she'll support whatever I decide." Cindy said. "She did say she doesn't think I should keep the baby and raise it, that it's a reminder of what happened. I get that..."

"Had you thought about having children before?" the Chief asked perceptively.

"Yes, sir, I have." Cindy said. "My father has no other children, that he knows of, anyway. And I see great kids like Susie Haskins, and Carole and Marie, and Molly's boys, and I think of what it would be like to raise a child."

"You thinking of adopting a child?" asked the Chief.

"Yes." Cindy said. "Or going to a sperm bank or something. At least I'd know what I was getting."

"I think I've heard your real concern, there." Griswold said. "The uncertainty... and I think I agree with you on that. But it's ultimately for you and Callie to decide... and be sure to decide it together..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:30pm, Tuesday, October 16th. I came into the Mountain Nest. A handsome Police dog bounded down the stairs to greet me... followed by the dog's owner.

"Daddy!" Carole yelled out as she ran up to me, wearing her yellow pajamas.

"Hi, Fussbudget." I said, picking her up and hugging her. "Why are you up?"

"You are supposed to be in bed, young lady." I heard Laura say as she came out of the 'Puter Room'.

"I'm saying goodnight to Daddy." Carole pouted.

"Now, Carole." I said. "You know I was going to come up and check on you, so you did not need to come downstairs, now did you?"

"I guess not." Carole said, my logic stopping further protests.

"All right, let's go back to bed. Kiss Mommy goodnight." Mother and daughter exchanged good night kisses, then I carried Carole up her up to her room, tucked her in, petted Bowser as he settled into his basket, checked on Jim and Buddy, who were sleeping soundly, then came back downstairs, commas groaning at that run-on sentence.

Laura had made drinks for us. We sat down on the sofa against the wall, which had better back support than the other one. "Long day?" I asked. "We missed you at the ceremony for Chief Griswold."

"Sorry," Laura replied, not sounding sorry, "but it couldn't be helped. The Deputy Director called me, and we had a meeting in my office in the Psychology Building."

"Uh oh." I said. "No wonder Carole's still awake and starting up trouble. She does not like you going to 'meetings'."

"Yezzz." Laura said with some acerbity. "But that's not the important thing. I made you that drink so you will have it when you see this." She grabbed the remote and turned on the television set, and played the DVR.

It was from the KXTC Six O'Clock News. At the end, Editor-In-Chief and Publisher Burt West came on with an editorial.

"Ladies and gentlemen," West said, "I am here tonight to discuss something of extreme importance to you, the People of our Town & County. Police Commander Donald Troy has taken his abuse of Police power to an unacceptable level."

"In the past, Commander Troy has shown his disrespect for women's rights and victim's rights by exercising his Police power against women that have made what we believe to be credible claims of sexual harassment. He investigated Donna Rodman and Hillary Braselton after their claims against Governor Val Jared, brought charges against them, and forced them to make plea bargains for daring to come forward with their claims. Now Commander Troy has investigated and brought charges against former TCPD Internal Affairs Officer Gayle Tunnin, who brought very credible claims of sexual harassment against her former boss, Daniel Allgood.

"In addition," said West, "Commander Troy has shown that he is a racist. First, by supporting Val Jared and using Police power to suppress the credible claims of sexual harassment agains the racist Governor of our State. Commander Troy also used a helicopter to fire live rounds into a public park where minorities take their children to play, and he has used extreme brutality against peaceful protesters, including shooting a man dead. And just how many building in this County have exploded because of Commander Donald Troy? Several, including Standard Tools, Wentworth Tool & Die, and of course First Baptist Church."

"These hideously irresponsible actions are symptomatic of Commander Donald Troy's sick abuse of power. He carries a red crowbar, which he claims stands for the law, but in reality is a symbol of abusive power against women and minorities. But even further, Commander Troy is waging war against the First Amendment rights of a Free Press. Without our Free Press, this nation would fall into tyranny like so many other nations in the world. KXTC and other Media outlets are bringing you the news truthfully, fairly, openly, and honestly. The Media is not the enemy; Commander Troy's abuse of power is."

"Commander Troy appeared at the home of our reporter, Amber Harris, and had her arrested and charged with assaulting a Police Officer." said West. "Ask yourself why Commander Troy, the Police Force's second-highest-ranked Officer, was personally answering a domestic disturbance call. What possible reason could he have for going there personally, instead of letting his Officers handle it, except to create a situation with our reporter?"

"Commander Troy abused Police power by an entrapment scheme against reporter Brian Williams. Reporter John Hardwood is dead, murdered. And now Commander Troy is assaulting the integrity of our reporters Amber Harris and Lester Holder... good people who are serving you by bringing you honest news... with lies and smears. His hatred of the Media is as limitless as his abuse of Police power.

"Enough is enough." said West. "On behalf of KXTC, I am urging you to call your Town & County Council representative, and ask them to fire Commander Donald Troy. I am demanding that every candidate for Mayor and for Sheriff pledge openly and on camera, for the record, that they will fire Commander Donald Troy if the Council won't do the right thing. Raise your voices, take action. Donald Troy is a misogynist, a racist, and an abuser of Police power. Donald Troy must be stopped, and only you, working with us in the honest and transparent Free Press, can stop him. Thank you, and goodnight."

As Laura turned off the DVR and the television monitor, I took a large swig of my drink. "You were right, I needed this. So... is that what you met with the DepDirector about?"

"No, but we discussed it." Laura said. "The Media has just declared open warfare on you."

"They did that when they attacked you, and Tasha." I replied.

"But not like this." Laura said. "Any idea why West just went off the rails like that?"

"Yeah." I said. "I gave their competitor an interview, told the truth about Amber Harris. This was a KXTC shot at me, not the overall Press... though if they don't condemn what West said, I'll consider them just as guilty." Laura nodded.

"Okay..." I said, unable to stop a little grin on my face, "did Senator Nunn buy that retirement property in Florida?"

Laura just about broke her neck, so fast and hard did her head spin to look at me. "How in the hell?..." she started.

I raised my hand. "No magic trick, my dear. Nunn told me directly that that was the code phrase that the Guardians of Justice are in imminent danger. And he's right. I have work to do."

"What work is that?" Laura asked, still in shock.

"The usefulness of the Guardians of Justice has ended." I said. "They will only face the danger of being found and outright murdered if they continue. So I am going to have to ask them to fade away into the woodwork and the darkness, so that they might live to fight another day."

I looked into my wife's eyes and said "The time has come. The Guardians of Justice must be disbanded..."

To be continued.

Clues abound. Easter Eggs carefully laid. Who are the Guardians of Justice?

Answers next chapter...