The Guy Next Door

Story Info
She got out of a bad relationship and wasn't ready the next.
8k words
4.62
9.2k
16
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zootonius
Zootonius
858 Followers

Author's Note, tip of the hat to kenjisato for editing and suggestions.

------------------------------------------------------------

Amanda couldn't sleep. She looked at her lover, John, sleeping next to her. She was thinking about how she had gotten to this point. She was enamored by him at first. But a year later, she felt it was a mistake. His attentions were replaced by his own expectations.

With dawn peeking through the window, she slipped out of bed and dressed, then went to make coffee. She looked at this home. Was it him, or the trappings of his wealth, that she had fallen for? She sat, nursing her mug, reflecting, and feeling a bit sick.

Later, John came in and poured himself a cup. "You got up early. I was hoping to make love to you again."

She knew what he really meant was to get off again. That she was little more than a receptacle for him.

"Sorry, John. I'm feeling a bit out of sorts. And tomorrow, I've got important things at work I need to be ready for. It's a busy week ahead."

"I still don't understand why you don't move in with me. You don't need to work. I can provide all you need. And I don't understand why you prefer that apartment," he replied.

"John, we've discussed this. Please, can you drive me home."

He looked at her, more disgusted than sympathetic.

John ate breakfast but she wasn't hungry. He wanted a rendezvous on Wednesday, but she demurred on account of work. So, on Friday, he'd pick her up. He dropped her off in front of her apartment. A U-Haul was out front; someone was moving in.

Evan just dropped another box of belongings in his new upstairs apartment. As he stepped out onto the balcony, he saw a stunning woman get out of a very expensive Mercedes. He watched, and to his delight, she was headed to his stairs. The stairs served two apartments. She must be his neighbor, he realized. She hadn't noticed him. She walked slowly, her mind seemed elsewhere.

He used the chance to get a good look. Long auburn hair. A skirt and blouse that spoke of elegant taste. He guessed she was twenty-five. And a figure, not thin but not too curvy. Evan decided he better get back to work before she noticed him watching. He stopped at the top of the stairs, to let her ascend.

She finally saw him and realized what the U-Haul was for. He looked quite young, she thought. And immediately liked the looks of her new neighbor.

"Are you moving into 2B?" she asked.

"Yes, Evan. Evan Michaels. Are you in 2A?"

"Yes, Amanda, Johnston. Nice to meet you. I think you'll like it here. It's quiet. Are you new in town?"

"Yeah, got a job here. They even paid moving expenses. I gotta get settled in today. Tomorrow, I report to work. I think it's going to be a busy week."

"I'll leave you to it," she replied, and unlocked her door.

She smiled at him, as she closed the door, and he could see he was going to like this place. He wondered about the Mercedes. She looked the type who would be attached to a guy who drove a car like that.

Amanda leaned against the door. Friday she would tell John it was over. She could use the week to steel herself for the confrontation she knew was coming.

******

The workweek began. Amanda and Evan never saw each other. He had a lot to absorb in his new job. And Amanda dug into her work, trying to forget about Friday.

Friday, Evan arrived home and grabbed a beer then plopped on his sofa. He made it through his first week, and relaxed. He needed to unwind. The anxiety of the new job gave way. He could do it. He began thinking about dinner. He wasn't in the mood to cook, but he had to.

Then he heard voices outside his door. A man's voice, getting louder. As he headed to the door, he heard him exclaim, 'Amanda!'

John turned to see the neighboring door open; and a young man standing in it.

Evan found a middle-aged man looking beet red, talking to Amanda. "Everything okay?" Evan asked, turning to her.

"This is a private conversation!" John replied.

"I don't care for a commotion outside my door!" Evan replied.

"Amanda, let's take this inside!" he ordered.

"I told you, John, it's over," she replied, trying to keep her composure.

"Amanda!" he shouted.

"I think the lady has spoken," Evan said imperiously. He wondered where this confrontation was headed.

John looked at Evan, anger in his face, then turned to Amanda, "You'll regret this!" He stormed down the stairs then the two watched as he drove off.

Amanda grabbed the balustrade and closed her eyes. Evan could see she was shaking.

"You, okay?"

Amanda turned to him, "Yes. And thanks. I was afraid of how this would go down. You made the difference."

But Amanda was still visibly shaken. He felt she needed some company, but somewhere safe.

"Listen, you look like you could use some company until your nerves settle. I saw that Mexican place down the road, and I wasn't in the mood to cook. Would you like to join me?"

"Thank you, Evan, but..." She thought about it. She could use some company. "Jose's Cantina? I could use a margarita."

It was just a few blocks and they walked. The walk helped clear her head.

They were shown a table. She ordered a margarita, and he ordered a beer. They sat in silence. The drinks came and they ordered food. Amanda wasn't hungry. The silence continued, as Evan let her be.

Finally, Amanda started, "Sorry about that. I didn't want him to come in. He can be persuasive, and my mind was made up."

"More like intimidating than persuasive. And I confess, it was an ego boost to chase off a bully like that." he replied.

"Yes, he can be a bully. That's why I needed out."

"How did you meet?" he asked.

She told him about meeting him at a function. He was very attentive. He took her to the theater and the symphony. And that over time, she came to see she was just another possession of a rich man.

"I guess his wealth was an attraction. I was a fool. He wanted me to move in; to quit my career. If I had, I would have been trapped. So, the writing was on the wall, as they say. And now I feel free. And it feels great! Well, maybe this margarita helped," she finished, looking at her empty glass.

The food arrived. "I hope you don't think I always drink like this, but I need another."

He asked the waitress for another margarita.

"So, your career?" he asked.

"I'm a metallurgist. I work for a consulting firm."

"You don't fit the stereotype of a metallurgist," Evan replied, with a smile.

"No." she laughed. "The company hired me after graduate school. I think they hired me as the token. But I acquitted myself. And I think they value my skills now."

"So, tell me about your work," he asked.

She did, and in great detail. He could tell she liked what she did. And why giving it up for John would have been wrong. He also saw that absorbing her in her work changed her. Her mood brightened. And it gave him the excuse not to take his eyes off her. He couldn't think of a more beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

Amanda saw he had nearly finished his food, and that she had nearly finished her margarita.

"I'm so sorry. I guess I got carried away. Seems I've done all the talking," she said.

"No, it was fascinating. You clearly like what you do," he replied.

"So, tell me about yourself," Amanda asked.

"I just got my degree in electrical engineering. The company that recruited me, builds automated equipment. So, knowing about alloys may be helpful."

The check arrived and he grabbed it. "I offered you dinner. So don't protest."

It was twilight as they walked back. She was a bit woozy from that second margarita. He saw her to her door. "I hope you're feeling better."

"After two margaritas? Yes." Then she turned serious. "Yes, much better. Thank you."

"Well, goodnight," he told her. "Let me know if you need anything." Then he headed to his own apartment.

Amanda sat, feeling a bit overwhelmed. She just dumped John, with a little help from a neighbor. Dinner at Jose's was a blur, thanks to the margaritas. But then he said goodbye and left. She expected him to ask for another date at least. It was all enough for one day, so she went to bed.

******

Next morning, the events of yesterday became clearer. She was rid of John. And a nice neighbor; maybe too nice. In any case she guessed he was twenty-two, six years younger than her. He certainly was good looking, but too young, and too close. She laughed at herself for even thinking about him.

She recalled, too, how he just listened. She was feeling a bit guilty. He was so kind to her. She felt she owed him something. Dinner, she decided, tonight. And, she admitted to herself, she liked his company.

Amanda went next door and knocked. She knocked once more. It was two PM now, maybe he had other plans. As she turned back, there Evan was, coming up the stairs, sweaty and shirtless. Nothing but running shorts and shoes.

"Amanda, hi! Just got back from jogging."

His lean body was a far cry from her ex-lover. She looked him over, then turned her gaze to his face.

"Thank you again for last night. I feel I owe you something. I'd like to make you dinner."

"You owe me nothing," he responded.

"Ah, I'm sure you have plans tonight."

"No, I... I'd love to have dinner with you. Can I at least bring the wine."

"Deal, six o'clock!" she told him. "Pork tenderloin."

He went in and showered. He put on a dress shirt and slacks then sat. Damn! He thought. Evan couldn't understand her. Was she really just thanking him? The cynic in him said yes, that's all.

When she opened the door for him, Evan found Amanda in pants and a knit top. It was certainly not provocative, but elegant simplicity.

"You have a corkscrew?" he asked.

"In the drawer."

He poured the wine, as she served. It was a lively conversation. Both had much in common, a love of the outdoors, museums, science, and music. She was surprised that a guy like him liked classical music.

"We always had Brahms or Beethoven or Dvořák playing at home," he started, "I rebelled against it when I was sixteen. But the seed was planted and in college I sought out the performances there."

She listened to him. He had a passion for all the subjects. She told about saving up money with a plan to buy a place of her own. She was really liking him. Yet, she regretted inviting him. He was all wrong, she told herself. She didn't want a new relationship, not at this time, at least. He was too young, and she probably earned twice what he did. Plus, he lived next door; too close if a relationship went bad.

"This was wonderful, thank you, Amanda."

She decided it was time to preempt anything more. "Listen, Evan, I hope I haven't given you the wrong impression. I'm not ready for any new relationship right now. Besides, I'm a bit too old for you."

"Too old?" he asked, with a smile.

"You're what, twenty-two? I'm six years older than you. In any case... well, I hope you understand."

"Yes, I understand," he said, with a faint smile.

She could see in his face he was hoping for more. And now she felt guilty.

"Well, I hope I can be on good terms with my neighbor," Evan added. "I should get going. Thanks again, for dinner."

She smiled, then saw him to the door. "And thank you. You really did rescue me yesterday."

Amanda opened the door, then kissed him on the cheek. He gave a faint smile and walked across to his place. Closing the door, her mind was in rebellion. She regretted that little kiss on the cheek. 'He probably thinks I'm a tease,' she thought to herself.

He closed the door to his apartment, his ego crushed. He'd never known a woman like her. At that moment, he could not imagine any other woman.

******

Another work week had started. On Tuesday, Amanda's friend, Rachel, came by after work to get the details of her breakup with John. As she looked up the stairs, she found this handsome young guy in just running shorts coming down. She waited, using the time to get a good look. He flashed her a warm smile, a smile that matched his looks.

Halfway up the stairs, she turned to get another look as he jogged away. 'Damn!' she thought.

Amanda let her in. "So, tell me about it. But first, who was that cute young guy?" Rachel asked.

"My new neighbor, Evan. Just moved into town."

"Nice neighbor!" Rachel replied, giving her a look. "So, give me the scoop. You finally dumped him?"

"Yes, Friday."

"Good riddance. You deserved better. How did John take it?" Rachel asked.

"Bad, really bad. He doesn't like losing possessions, let's just say. We had an argument right outside here."

"And you told him off?"

"Well, with some help. John raised his voice, demanding to talk. Then Evan stepped out. John wanted to talk in here, I said no. Then Evan said something like 'You heard the lady.' Wow! John stormed off."

"Woah! He came to your rescue?"

"Yeah, I guess you could put it that way. I was a bit shaky, so Evan offered dinner at Jose's. I finished off a couple margaritas."

"Then what?" Rachel asked.

"He saw me to my door."

"That's it?!"

"Well, I made him dinner the next night as thanks, then headed him off at the pass and said I wasn't interested in a relationship."

"Amanda! A guy like that? What's wrong with him?"

"First, he's twenty-two, too young, or I'm too old. And he's too close. I don't want a failed relationship with my next-door-neighbor."

"Too young! Amanda! No such thing. If you're not interested in him, let me have a shot."

"You're thirty! besides, what about Don," Amanda replied.

"I'm not married to Don. Not yet, anyway. Listen, are you really telling me you're not interested in him."

"I do not want another complication in my life!" Amanda exclaimed.

"Okay, okay. But he won't be on the market long. I guarantee it."

She saw Rachel to the door, and as she closed it, her mind was in turmoil. 'No complications!' repeated in her mind. But maybe they could just be friends, she told herself.

*****

Wednesday evening, Amanda knocked on his door. "Evan! Hi. Listen, you said you like hiking. I was wondering if you'd like to take my favorite trail on Saturday with me."

He was of two minds. He wanted to forget any idea of a relationship with her. Yet, he liked being with her. "Um... sure."

"Great! Ten AM, okay?"

"Sure," he repeated.

"Might be hot. Bring water. And there's a nice overlook at the end. We can have lunch there. I'll bring sandwiches."

Evan wondered; did she just want a hiking companion? Was she so oblivious to his feelings?

Saturday morning, he knocked on Amanda's door. She was in a tank-top that showed off her lovely breasts, and shorts that complemented her legs, despite the hiking boots. She was not making this easy, he thought.

She drove them to the trailhead, then led the way on the trail. He had a fine view in front of him, her tight butt swaying with each step. They ate at the overlook. She sat next to him, inches apart. Evan was dying inside. He wished he could put his arm around her. Instead, they compared notes about each other's knowledge of trees and fauna.

Late in the afternoon, they drove back. Evan both dreaded parting -- yet wanted to forget her.

As she parked the car, Amanda started, "Um, Evan, you said you liked classical music. There's a chamber music series this week. Would you like to go to the concert on Friday?"

"Um, if you let me buy the tickets."

"No! Come on! You're just starting a new job. I'm happy to buy."

Evan paused for a moment. "Only if I buy dinner."

"Deal!" she replied, with her irresistible smile.

Evan watched her enter her apartment, then headed to his own. 'Crap!' he thought to himself. 'I should have said no.' But he knew he could never say no to her. He wondered how long he could be happy just being friends with her.

On Friday, Evan knocked on her door. It was going to be a long night. Amanda had on an elegant dress, short enough to show off her legs, and enhanced by heels. He had chosen a restaurant walking distance from the hall. And there, the two talked about their week, their work, and the pieces on the night's program. And after, they walked the three blocks to the concert hall. After the first block, Amanda took his arm, she wasn't prepared to walk this far in heels, she told herself. For Evan, it was bliss and hell mixed together.

They found their seats and settled in. For Evan, the music and his lovely companion made for a perfect night.

As he drove them home, Amanda started, "That was a great performance. Thank you, Evan."

"You paid for the tickets, remember?"

"Yes," she laughed, "but to share it with someone who appreciates it... That's the thing!"

Evan saw her to her door where she kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks!" she smiled, before going in.

He went home and crashed on his sofa. He wondered how soon before she finds someone, and his heart will be crushed.

*****

That Wednesday, Amanda met with Rachel for drinks. "So, how's life?" Rachel started.

"Hmph! Don't know. Still getting used to my freedom."

"And that guy, Evan?"

"Well, we went hiking. Seems he's a big fan of the outdoors, too. Then last week, we took in a concert. He's a fan of chamber music also."

"Yeah! Then what happened?" Rachel asked, eagerly.

"Uh, that's it. He's very nice."

"That's it? Is he gay?"

"No," Amanda laughed, "he's certainly not that. We're just friends, that's all."

"I don't believe a guy like that can just be 'friends' with a woman like you. Amanda! You like hiking, he likes hiking. You even like the same music! What's wrong with him?"

Amanda thought for a while. "Dunno... Nothing."

"Girl, what are you telling me?"

Amanda sat in silence, then, "That first night, over my margarita, I went on and on about my job. He should have been bored to death. But, he just listened."

Amanda sat, looking at her glass, "He's everything John wasn't."

"Amanda, you are lying to yourself. Just because you got trapped by John doesn't mean it will happen again. Everything you're telling me is you might have something here. And you'd be a fool to pass it by."

Amanda looked at her, her resolve was weakening.

"Better to risk it than regret it. And if you don't, I want a crack," Rachel joked.

Amanda saw it now. She liked having him at this distance. But he wasn't going to be unattached long. Not someone like him. She looked at Rachel, the expression on Amanda's face admitted the arguments rang true.

******

Thursday evening, Amanda knocked on his door. She wasn't ready to admit to herself what she was doing.

"Evan, hi. Hey, I was hoping to convince you to come for another hike Saturday. It's always better with a companion."

He looked at her for a moment. But any time spent with Amanda was enough for him. "Sure. Same time?"

She flashed him that smile, "Great! see you then. Oh, I'll bring sandwiches again."

It was a repeat of the last hike, she drove then led the way on the trail as he admired her figure from behind. This time, as they ate lunch, she sat next to him with their arms just touching.

When she parked her car after they returned, she turned to him. "Evan, I..." She groped for words. "I've been pretty hard on you. That night I told you I wasn't interested in any relationships... I was harsh, I'm sorry."

"Why? You just got out of a lousy relationship. And you were frank about everything. I understand. But..." He looked at her. "I don't understand. Do you just want to be friends? I mean, I really like being with you..." he trailed off.

Amanda looked at him. She realized she was testing him. Alone on that trail the whole day, even now, he never made any move. Yet she could see how he felt. Amanda looked at him for a long time. Then she kissed him on the lips.

"Amanda, don't play games with me."

"I'm not," she replied, kissing him again, letting her lips linger.

Zootonius
Zootonius
858 Followers