The Hand of Death Ch. 13

Story Info
Meeting the new Koga Daimyo.
3.3k words
4.78
1.7k
2
0

Part 13 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter XIII

"Indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory."

"The Art of War"

~by Sun Tzu~

I was greeted at the gates by Lord Eita, The Koga Shogun.

"Hiro san, I have been waiting." He was acting very cold towards me.

I nodded and got down from my horse. I bowed to him out of respect and he returned it without emotion.

"Domo arigato, my lord. I am honored."

I introduced the men and once that was done I released them to their families. "Gunso Sashi, it seems our time together is at an end. You may go and I hope your time off is a joyous one."

They all nodded happily. Then Sashi said, "We will take your things to your home, Taisa."

"Domo arigato."

I handed him the reins to the horse, and watched them leave. Eita changed instantly.

"It has been a long time, Koga-ko."

I looked at him. "I thought you were angry."

"No. It is just that those mononofu are not friends of mine."

I laughed. "Well, they are friends of mine, Oniisan." Big brother.

"Yes! Very much so. I heard the report about the fight. Tell me about it. I have been dying for a firsthand account."

I smiled and gave him a recount of the battle and how we won through trickery. He seemed very proud. I went on to tell about Nobu and his town and helping him with the defenses around the chasm. Once I was done he said, "I wish I could have been there."

"If it meant me getting home sooner, then I wish you could have been there as well." He laughed. "Now what is new with you? Last news I had was two years ago. You are married now?"

"Yes. I had not realized just how long you have been gone. I married the daughter of the Daimyo of the Awaji House. Her name is Satsuki and we have a son named Tetsuya." I looked at him with a raised eyebrow as he continued. "I was always Father's favorite."

I nodded. "Ah."

"But let's talk of more important subjects. I heard you performed wonderfully at the school."

"Yes. Everything worked out as needed." I replied in a dead tone.

"You do not seem pleased."

I paused for a long time, remembering her face."I would have preferred for there to have been another way."

"Why?"

"...I did not like it. She deserved better."

He watched me and finally said, "Good. I would have been concerned otherwise."

"It was necessary, was it not?"

"Does it matter? You had your orders."

"And I followed them. I even made sure we got the war we wanted."

"You did. ...Hiro, we have to keep the other Houses off balance. If there was peace it would only serve to give them more time to corrupt our plans."

"Not a very noble reason."

"We are not noble people... The truth is the Bandai were attempting to name their Champion as the Shogun of Giapan. The meeting with the Karafuto was to be the first attempt in bringing that House onto the Bandai's side. The war you started means the Emperor will stay in power instead of becoming just a figure-head."

I made a face. "How?"

"They already had the support of the Kyushu and the Hokkaido. They were trying to get us involved as well."

"Tell me we are the ones that told the Emperor about this?" I asked.

He laughed. "We did not feel he needed to know yet." I was stunned. "We had you after all."

"I was just... I do not..."

"It does not have to be easy. But you do have to remain loyal."

"Yes, Oniisan."

"On another note, my brother Masao, our new Daimyo, has requested your presence as soon as you arrive."

"Good. I have a gift I was saving for him."

He smiled. "What is it?"

"It is a surprise. While I'm on the subject...." I stopped walking.

I rifled through my pack until I found the object I sought. It was a steel rod about a foot long and two inches in diameter, rounded on the ends, with a seam in the middle. It had been enameled blue with a Bandai crest on each end. I pulled it apart to show him that it was two thrusting knives that fit together. I put them back and presented it to my lord.

"For you, Koga Shogun sama." He looked at me, then the knives, almost stunned.

"There is no need for a gift, Hiro san."

"Have I ever told you how much I hate that tradition? Take it."

"You have not told me... I would have no use for such a fine weapon."

"Eita, you have known me since I was five. Do you really think I would offer it if I did not want you to have it?" He smiled and took the gift.

We walked on to the castle passing many of the places I had worked as a child. The memories came back to me, followed by a fond smile. Eita took me through the castle up to the floors dedicated to the Daimyo's family. We then waited outside a small personal room for Lord Masao. After some moments a few people exited and the servant scratched on the shoji screen.

"Yes. What is it?"

The servant slid the screen open at Lord Masao's words.

"My Daimyo, Lord Eita is here with Shotoku Hiro."

"Yes. Admit them at once."

He sounded displeased. Lord Eita spoke once we had knelt and bowed to our Daimyo.

"Hiro san has just arrived, my Daimyo."

Masao nodded at this. The room was well decorated, pretty but not overly so. It also had a small balcony with a lovely view. Goemon Toshi was known for its balconies. Masao studied me.

"I finally get to meet the mysterious Shotoku Hiro."

"I can assure you, my Daimyo; I never intended to be mysterious."

"Truly? I find that very hard to believe, Hiro san."

"I will try to correct that if it displeases you, my lord." He waved the idea away with his hand.

"It is not your mystery that displeases me." That sounded bad but he continued before I could comment. "The trip home was, uneventful, I hope?"

"An easy walk but not without event."

"That is what I have been told. Tell me about the fight with the oni army."

I nodded and gave him the details without emotion. I told him about the Ainu and their aid to us as well as their payment. I added that I believed they would be an advantage to us in that region if there was a need in the future. I gave the body count of the enemy and the heimin, as well as the tactics I used. He asked many questions, all of which I answered.

"It might offend some that you used a Bandai Shogun's tactics in a fight."

"I deemed it the best option for success at the time, my Daimyo."

"And if you had done a normal attack, what would have been the outcome?"

"We would have killed maybe, ten of the hihi and satori, before the rest ran us over and continued to desecrate Giapan."

"And you being, what now, fifteen? Are an expert at what would have failed?"

"I had to make a decision, my Daimyo. I did what I thought was best."

"Maybe, or were you with the Bandai just a little too long?"

"I am Koga, my lord. I know no other master."

"And the survivors of the village?" He was trying to distract me.

"They were escorted back to the village of Honshu-ko shiro."

"And what did you think of your escort?"

"I thought they were very fine samurai, my Daimyo."

"Tell me about the Gunso."

"He is stable, brave, and he knows his duty."

He nodded. "And the girl?"

"She is very courageous."

"But?"

"There is no but, my lord. I would charge any battlefield with her at my side."

"Good, I am glad to hear that."

I cocked my head without thinking. "Why do you say that, my Daimyo?"

He gave a little laugh. "She is my niece. Well, she is my cousin's daughter."

I nodded. "She did very well, my Daimyo. I would gladly serve with her again."

Then he changed the topic suddenly. "Excellent. And did you learn anything from the Bandai besides tactics?"

I thought for a moment, as sensei had taught me. "I have a better understanding of how the Bandai think now."

"Yes, I could tell." I nodded my agreement. "Hiro san, I have one last question for you."

"Yes, my Daimyo?"

He paused a short moment before continuing. "Why did you choose to start the conflict in that manner?"

"It seemed the surest way to get the desired result."

He thought and then nodded. "Yes. Still you could have started with something a little less... distasteful."

"Yes, my Daimyo. But, if that had not worked then I would have been forced to do another and another. Best not to drag the matter out. More people would have been hurt in the long run. Do the one vile deed and be done with it."

He sat there watching me, waiting as if I might give something away. Finally he said, "Well done, Hiro san."

"Domo arigato, my Daimyo." I bowed to him in gratitude. At this point I pulled my gift from behind my back. It was a Bandai katana wrapped in silk. "My Daimyo, to show my appreciation for my duties, I have brought you a gift." I presented it with both hands and head bowed. I would stay this way until he accepted.

"That is not necessary Hiro san."

"I insist my lord. It is the katana I was given while at the dueling school." I removed it from the blue silk storage bag. It was a beautiful weapon, silver lacquered handle and saya. The handle was wrapped in blue silk and there was a rich blue engraving of a Bandai crest along the length of the saya.

"It is lovely Hiro...But, you should have this as a keep-sake."

"I have my memories, my Daimyo. I would like you to have this to remember my deeds by."

He accepted the weapon and I sat up. He inspected it closely, obviously impressed by it.

"Truly impressive. The Bandai do have their good points."

"It has never been unsheathed, my Daimyo. It was to be opened if I graduated to the third year of the school."

He nodded, and while looking directly at me, jerked the katana completely out of its saya. I did not react to the insult. This man did not like me.

Soon I was dismissed. I left Lord Eita there with his brother. I collected my things and went home to my mother. It took me some time to find home because Mother had been moved to larger accommodations recently. The sentries at the gate of the samurai district informed me the Daimyo, due to her having become a favorite of the nobility, had given her a larger house closer to my uncle's home. It wasn't inside the castle but it was still a very respectable neighborhood. She had also been given five servants, a grounds keeper, three maids, and a yojimbo. She was standing at the gates to our home when I approached. I noticed the yojimbo watching his surroundings while she waited. She didn't recognize me at first because of the armor and I had put on my mempo. When I headed towards her, the yojimbo stepped just behind her.

She said. "Yes, Shotoku sama. What can I do for you?"

The mempo muffled my voice some. "You are waiting for someone, Shotoku san?" She nodded, almost excitedly before she caught herself.

"Yes. My son will be home soon. I have not seen him for a long time now."

"Ah. Then this is a good day. I hope he is not too long in coming." She nodded her agreement. Then I said "Oh look! There he is now!" pointing down the street.

"Where? How do you know?" She looked at me as I removed my mempo. "Hiro! It is not wise to play tricks on your mother!"

Her yojimbo laughed a little. She introduced me to her bodyguard. His name was Goemon Tanki; he was a pleasant man actually. She walked me inside the gate and hugged me hello. The three of us walked inside so I could change. I took off the armor and stored it in my new room, where I saw all of my boxes from my pony.

The house was much nicer, with a front and back porch. A garden completely covered the back yard. There were seven rooms, all furnished by our Daimyo, one for her and Father, one for me, a main room, a kitchen at the back, one for the groundsman, one for Tanki and one for the maids. I changed into a fresh kimono of red and white, and wrapped a red obi around it.

When I returned to the main room she said, "Some soldiers came earlier with your things. They were kind enough to put them away for me."

"They are good samurai." I sat next to her as she was pouring tea.

"You have worked with them long?"

"No, only a week or so. Why?"

"They just seemed very respectful, like men that had worked with you a long time."

I smiled. "Domo arigato." I picked up my cup of tea. "Did they say anything?"

"No. They were just interested in me and who your father was. They weren't too nosy."

I nodded. "Did you tell them anything?"

She nodded. "Yes. Was I not supposed to?"

I shook my head. "No, they are trustworthy."

She smiled. "And how long will you be home this time?"

"I do not know. I have just completed my training and it will depend on my lord's needs."

"Will I ever know who that is?"

I nodded my head with a smile. "I serve Daimyo Masao, like everyone else."

She told me about my old friends and how they were faring. Cho was doing well as Sensei's assistant, though mother didn't know what it was he assisted with. Goruchi was a Komono with his father, and had been for over a year now. Himi's mother had taken ill a year ago and passed away. After her funeral, he left town. No one knew where he went. After that depressing news I felt we needed something to lift our spirits.

"Wait here, I have some belated new year's gifts for you." I rose and walked back into my room.

"That was not necessary, Hiro."

"Yes, it was." She was the one with the sense of humor in my family.

"Was not." She waited for it.

"Was to." I heard her laugh. I returned with four bundles of silk; she opened them with impatience. Mother loved giving and getting gifts. The first was a cherry wood flute, which she had always wanted to learn how to play.

"Now I have to take lessons. Domo. Arigato." She said flatly. A privilege she had with her son. The next two were two bolts of silk, Bandai blue with no embroidery and Bandai silver with little Amaterasus all over it. "More sewing." She shook her head lightly. The last was the best, a book. She smiled. "These are all very nice. Domo arigato, Hiro sama." I nodded. "But what is this book?"

"It is an exact copy of the book of Toba. I had an artist friend of mine make it for you." Toba was a Heimin seamstress who made clothes for the emperor two thousand years ago. One day when the Khan had invaded the capital from the sea and it looked as if the Khan would win, she slipped the emperor out of Kyoto to his troops outside the walls of the city. She had used a large dress that had been sewn together quickly to put over herself and the emperor. To the invaders she looked like a very large woman fleeing the war. To the imperial forces it was the boost they needed to rally themselves and defeat the invaders. For her aid she was granted a name and made part of the Imperial House.

"Ah, I have only heard of it before." She began to flip through the book.

"I thought you would like it."

"Oh I do." She set it down on the table. "Now, it's my turn." She got up and walked inside to her and Father's room.

"That wasn't necessary." I said.

"Was to."

"Was not."

"Well, it wasn't, but you're getting it anyway."

I could hear Tanki and the staff snickering from the kitchen. She returned with a long silk bundle. I opened it slowly to reveal a three piece Koga daisho. The tsuba, or hand guard, of each were the Koga crest and down the green enameled saya was the engraving of Goemon at the shrine of Shotoku in silver. The handle was black wood, wrapped in emerald green silk cording. The fittings were done in silver. The wakazashi was the same, except it depicted Goemon meeting Shotoku on the road. The Han-Dachi, a sword which is in length about halfway between the wakazashi and the katana, depicted Shotoku challenging the great Shikoku Zennyo Ryu to a duel. I bowed to my mother.

"This is a very fine gift, Mother."

She looked pleased when she bowed to me. I put the daisho my Daimyo had given me, with the armor, on a stand in my room. I tucked the katana and wakazashi into my obi over my left hip. The han-dachi I slid into my obi behind my back, this gave a better left handed draw when using them in pairs. The han-dachi would be upside down but I could work with that. And from that day on, it was the only daisho I ever wore as Shotoku Hiro. Usually.

My friend Cho came by the house with Goruchi an hour later. Mother invited them in for some tea. She had said they always came by to talk with her. I spoke to them as they came in and seated themselves.

"Mother tells me you are finally a policeman."

"Yes, it has been a wonderful time. Very interesting." He nodded.

Cho shook his head. "To think that this criminal is a Doshin's man."

The conversation was good and I felt it was a bit overdue. I had missed them. Chi had heard that Himi had gone north, but that was all. He was the kindest of all of us. I didn't think he would have lived long out there on his own. Cho had brought a gift for me; he said it was my turn. What he brought was a copy of the Dao of Musashi; Sensei had told him it was one of my favorites. Chi gave me a kozuka and its pocket to be tied to the saya of my katana. A kozuka is a small throwing knife. I went back to my room and retrieved their gifts.

For Chi I had spent my time embroidering a red kimono with the gold kanji of the Koga Machi-bugyo all over it. He was very grateful. For Cho I had a copy of Kaito's Deceit. He had read it before but he didn't have his own copy. He seemed to like it very much, as we couldn't get him to put it down all night. My friends and I spoke long into the night.

Mother made sure our tea was filled whenever it was low. She loved company. When it was good and late they said their goodbyes. As we prepared for bed, mother told me how Cho and Goruchi had been stopping by, to check on her. They had become good friends. Chi was usually the one to escort her to my uncle's home, with her yojimbo of course. I went to bed and slept unworried for the first time in three years.