The Highest Ethical Standards Ch. 02

Story Info
The Rehabilitation of Eleanor.
6.8k words
3.68
19k
11

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/16/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rakiura10
Rakiura10
269 Followers

About a good four years after the divorce was finalized Brendon's firm was commissioned by a major hospital to facilitate a collaborative program to develop a specialized health facility whose operation required bringing together groups under one umbrella that had previously worked separately. As the principal partner for this commission he acted as director but did not undertake the day to day tasks required. However he was present at the first workshop to introduce the team and company to the participants from the hospital.

On the day in question he arrived to set up with his small team of specialists. For the first workshop the room was set up with a ring of desks and participants arranged around randomly.

Initially a few early Hospital staff members drifted in. At this stage Brendon had been distracted with the logging in of their laptop to the hospital system in order to display their power point presentation. Looking up he noticed one staff member that looked familiar but she was sitting facing away from him.

Brendon called over his project team leader and asked for the proposed attendance list and in there was listed Eleanor Marsden.

'Mmm,' thought Brendon, 'she is using her maiden name.'

Further discussion with his team leader it was decided that as part of his introduction he would ask the participants to introduce themselves rather than his team leader.

Finally the workshop commenced and after a few introductory remarks by the team leader Brendon rose, said a few words then requested they do a round of introductions each standing and stating something of their background, their role and department.

And so it went until it reached Eleanor who was directly across from Brendon.

Eleanor rose. Her bearing was confident, erect and elegant. She was dressed in a stylish cream corporate suit which was dignified but showed that her body had remained tall and slim, and sensuously curved as he remembered her.

Her Blonde hair was tightly pulled back accentuating her high cheekbones and her flawless skin was understated with makeup. She looked her age but refined and poised in a way that made her even more beautiful than she was when she was younger.

Eleanor began to introduce herself.

"Good morning everyone my name is Eleanor Marsden, my role is a new one, it is general manager specialized services. I have been in this role only three months. I have four directors directly reporting to me. The team working on this project has been engaged for some time and has been brought under my oversight so here I am here today to get an understanding of what you all get up to."

In saying this Eleanor was directly looking at Brendon her hands carefully arranged in front of her and face expressionless. There was a slight pause and before Eleanor could sit down Brendon spoke.

Well Ms Marsden I think it has been a very long time. I have to say it is my greatest pleasure to see you again.

With that they both locked eyes and broke into simultaneous grins. Eleanor coloured as an audible "ooOOOoo," chorus and smirks arose around the tables.

Brendon felt a lump forming in his throat and looked down to hide his emotion. He was slightly puzzled by the rather teenage like reaction from the staff and before moving on he looked up and muttered, "Well, it appears you have a very popular General Manager here."

As morning tea commenced three staff members rushed up to talk to Brendon But not about the work, they wanted to know about Eleanor.

"How do you know her?"

"Well it was a long time ago and the subject is personal."

Apparently she had been head hunted because of an on-going problem of sexual harassment culminating in a doctor and a senior nurse being sacked for sexual impropriety. What had impressed staff was Eleanor's openness; she had met with every one of the staff individually. She had already rewritten and had signed off the hospital staff code of conduct. She issued a respect and ethics manifesto for staff which was followed by a workshop on the subject that included case histories. Brendon was surprised that one of these was her own experience. Thankfully it left out the other names including him but was brutally honest about her role in the case.

In the light of what had happened at the hospital her honesty had given her credibility and established her integrity.

They had wondered why she did not have a partner and this lead to speculation of her sexuality. Brendon shut this down as entirely personal and inappropriate, moving on to discuss more relevant matters and of course have a cup of tea.

The personal discussion about Eleanor had unsettled Brendon and decided that remaining at the workshop could be awkward. He decided to cut out there and then and apologized to his team leader. Before leaving he had the duty of announcing his departure and apologizing to the General Manager.

And as he did so, on the spur of the moment he said, "Listen, I am flying out in the morning however I do have some free time this evening. I do have some business I would like to discuss with you, so if you are free we could do this over dinner."

This was all within earshot of others

Eleanor replied, "Well, I am not sure I am free but I will check my calendar at lunchtime and text you whether I can make that or not."

Leaving his card, Brendon returned to his office but did not settle to any work. He just sat staring at the computer screen. 'What have I done,' he thinks?

As lunchtime approached he felt flushed, conscious of his heart beat and sweaty palms.

Finally the text arrived. Really it was a forgone conclusion. Of course she was free and would be delighted to talk business over dinner.

Both arrived at the restaurant in their own cars and met in the bar. It was 6:30 and being winter quite dark. Brendon arrived slightly later and found Eleanor sitting in an easy chair with a glass of wine. She saw Brendon straight away and stood. Her hair was tied back as during the day. She was wearing a long form fitting black evening dress and long flashing earrings. She was now wearing lipstick which accentuated the dazzling smile locked into her face. Probably not appropriate for a business dinner... not that Brendon cared at that point. He was utterly dumb struck. She put out her hand to lightly shake his. Brendon leant forward to take it and caught a waft of her perfume, Brendon knew so well, from those days so long ago.

Brendon wasn't smiling, he couldn't. His throat was in a knot and he could literally hear the blood pounding in his ears. He was trying to speak as Eleanor leant forward. He felt her cheek brush his in a light kiss.

Grabbing both his hands she leant back.

A frown crossed her face, "Are you OK Brendon?"

Finally Brendon's voice spluttered into life.

"Jesus Eleanor I feel like a teenager on his first date!!"

And thus began the most happy and extraordinary evening.

Despite all the speeches that both had been planning that afternoon and all the serious things that they both had to say to each other, all went out the window in a cloud of absolute denial. This was an evening of joy and flirtation; of giggles and casual light conversation, of old times and catch up, of amusing experiences with their boys that only a parent understands. Dark clouds just did not rise above their horizon.

As the night progressed they inched toward one another their hands closing across the table. Eye to eye, it was all smiles avoiding the dark events that drove them apart.

Towards the end of the evening Brendon casually repeated his suggestion at the start of the evening. He said it still felt a bit like he was going on a first date and added, "With someone he was very attracted to." Was this the alcohol speaking? Whatever the impetus for the comment it sent the evening on a very interesting trajectory.

Eleanor's eyes sparkled at the suggestion. "Oooo what would we be talking about on a first date?" then putting on a suitable 'first date' conversational toned she suggested, "Tell me Brendon,have you been married before?"

Brendon was immediately in the swing of this little tipsy role play. "Yes, I have been single now for about four years since the divorce came through. I have two children from that marriage."

"Well, that's a coincidence, that's the same as me... " At which point both broke in to laughter. The conversation continued in that vein until Brendon suggested that what people spoke about on first dates was usually pretty boring in the scheme of things. What they were really thinking is the important stuff.

This sent the conversation from what was an interesting trajectory into one which as stratospheric, with Eleanor gushing, "Well, I know what I would be thinking," and continued, "Oh my god, this guy's gorgeous, what does he think of me."

Brendon was on track with this turn of the conversation, "I would be thinking, something like, wow, Eleanor is one funny and sophisticated woman, please not let her be out of my league."

Then Eleanor came back, "Could this be my sweet lover; one to hold me in the night and spend my lifetime with."

At this point Brendon felt the lump back in his throat. He was staring into the eyes of someone who he felt he had just fallen in love with. The incongruence was that he had divorced her four years previously. Never the less he was caught in the post and the repost of their romantic repartee.

"This girl is so beautiful, what should I do? Invite her back to my place. Perhaps I should not go too fast, perhaps play it a little cool."

Eleanor, "And I would be thinking. Is this someone I can give myself to? Someone I can be faithful with the rest of my life. I wonder if he loves me, if he feels the same."

Brendon, "I would think the same. I would be thinking does she feel what I feel? Is she my lover too?"

Eleanor, "Have I come on too strong? Will I scare him off? I, so long to be in his arms, I don't think I could resist if he invited me home tonight."

They were obliquely but openly discussing their feelings and fears for one another in a way that they otherwise could not. It was not long before there was nothing left to say but their feelings were patently exposed and clear to one another. They finally sat in silence holding hands across the table.

Later Eleanor reflected on this and how she had changed. She realized that on this night she was falling in love with her ex-husband and it had not happened this way the first time.

They had eaten too much, they had drunk too much. It all seemed to be coming to an end, all too soon.

Then Brendon suddenly panicked

He had made one white lie. He was originally booked to fly out that afternoon for an important meeting the following morning. He had rebooked the flight for the early morning red eye. Bad strategy!

They had both drunk too much and were faced with catching cabs. Brendon's house was some distance away. Eleanor's apartment was quite close. Eleanor suggested they go back to her place to sober and freshen up. They would decide what to do then.

There was something about the chemistry of the evening that had Brendon behaving like an idiot... He accepted! A cab was called.

When they made their way across the carpark to the now waiting cab, Eleanor was clutching onto Brendon's arm with both hands. Holding on as though her life depended on it, her head bent toward his shoulder. A casual observer would not have recognized a couple of work colleagues. Certainly not a divorced couple, not even a married couple really. They would have seen two lovers, two lovers in the night.

Eleanor's apartment was quite modest but tastefully furnished. As Brendon entered, looking around him he noted that she had obviously developed an interest in artwork with a few very expensive and obviously carefully selected pieces. The indirect and focused lighting provided a cultured and warm European ambience to the room.

As Eleanor motioned, Brendon settled into her black leather sofa.

"Coffee?"

"I'd better."

"Long black?"

"Extra shot."

The home expresso grinds and wheezes.

The cups arrive onto the glass coffee table.

"So where's this meeting?"

"Dunedin."

"Dunedin, you're kidding?"

"What time?"

"Ten thirty"

"Who are you going with?"

"Mel."

"Mel is still with you?"

"He'll be there forever."

"What is it you are doing? Is it presenting a proposal?"

"Pre that. There is some massive work coming up we are trying to establish our credibility as a firm."

"So, are you two doing sales pitch?"

"Could say that."

Brendon continued, "I have to say I've fucked myself. I really ought to leave now. I haven't packed. I've actually somehow got to get to my office, to my home then to the airport."

"Where are the boys?"

"With Mum."

Eleanor was sitting in a chair adjacent Brendon. As they talked she leant closer until she laid a hand on his knee. The effect was electric. Not in a sexual way. It was as though Eleanor was pulsing energy to him. Her face was now quite close to his. This created a tension in this serious conversation. There was not a kiss coming.

She continued looking straight into Brendon's eyes.

"Can you tele conference?"

"Sure can."

"Has your potential client got the facility?"

"Of course."

"Have you considered that your potential client may think a sales pitch may be a big fat yawn?"

"What are you thinking?"

"Who have you got in your office that will actually do the work? Wouldn't the client want to know about them rather than a brand and a lot of promises?"

"Eureka! Include them in the teleconference... Yes. We have Jen and Seymour; they would knock the sox off them."

"Go straight into work from here make the apologies and organize the link up."

"Mel will still be going, he's our chief schmoozer. I'm the boffin."

"Well he can still go. He won't have you cramping his style then."

"Then I beam in with Jen and Seymour. I can prep them in plenty of time, brilliant, talk about turning a shit situation around."

Eleanor now had her face cradled in her hand gazing at Brendon.

Brendon smiled back.

"Not just a pretty face, are you?"

Eleanor replied, "I can say the same thing about you."

"I'll take that as a compliment then."

Brendon sent an urgent midnight text to Mel then turning to Eleanor; "I'll get stuck into the detail first thing. I'll go straight from here, they'll have to put up with me smelly and half shaven."

"Well you can at least have a shower. You can use my Venus shaver if you like."

"Really...? I don't think so."

Brendon thought for a bit, "Eleanor, we would make a brilliant team."

With the cloud of business worries dissipated, thoughts returned to each other.

It was now after midnight; Eleanor was sitting at Brendon's feet, her arms across his knees. Brendon bent down their lips meeting in their first romantic kiss in six years. The kiss was chaste but none the less indicated the tension of restrained passion between them.

It seems the mysterious attraction that comes with romantic love had not died between Brendon and Eleanor. Despite the betrayal, the trauma and the divorce the anger and the grief, the building blocks of what had brought them together in the first place were still intact. In some subliminal recess of their being it was there waiting for the baggage that tore them apart to be stripped away.

Eleanor then initiated her own response, this time clutching Brendon's face and deep kissing him with her tongue. Brendon broke away. "Uh! What are you doing?"

I'm sorry Brendon; I just wanted you to know that when you are ready, I am here for you.

Brendon looked at her kindly in silence

He was the first to speak, "What just happened? I came to work yesterday; business as usual; I wind up apparently in love again... With the woman who betrayed me and I divorced."

Eleanor cast her eyes down

Brendon continued, "I am sorry now, I didn't mean to offend you, it's just everything seems to be moving too fast."

The conversation drifted into less personal matters until Eleanor gathering up the coffee cups; "Well both of us have important work in the morning perhaps we should be getting some sleep. I have to say it, you are welcome to sleep with me but I understand your worry. I have been praying for this a long time and to you it must be like an ambush."

"Well I am a bit shell shocked."

"You can sleep on the couch if you like, it is really quite comfortable, I will get you a pillow and bedclothes."

And so they retired.

The night wore on but Brendon could not sleep and following the euphoria of the day the dark thoughts started to come back.

Brendon did not think of the possibility of being in love necessarily a good thing. Along with love comes heartbreak. He had experienced that. There was also the addiction, the obsession, the heightened sensitivity and the painful longing when apart. Fearful for the future and the disruption to his relatively comfortable life routine, he began to fret and to dream up negative issues that could undermine the developing reconciliation.

He was utterly astounded that she had a GM position in such a large organization. How did she do that? What skullduggery did she use to obtain that decision? Was she sleeping her way around in this? In thinking this, Brendon was hating his own thoughts.

Both of them are naturally competitive but this time they worked well together on his problem. That had never happened before. In the past their jealousy of one another meant they really did not concern themselves with each other's work problems. Would the jealously and the competition be rekindled along with the romance?

Remembering Eleanor's libido and joy of sex, how could she last this long without partners? She did not allude to any.

Brendon wondered about his own libido. He had only two miserable attempts at going out with women. There was no real heart in it and to Brendon sex without heart was hardly worth it.

He wondered whether he could ever have sex with Eleanor. He remembered the disgust he felt at discovering the cum. It was not that it was sperm; that did not worry him. Maybe the disgust was that it was tainted with the unknown betrayal. Would he feel disgust having sex with Eleanor, not knowing or not trusting her word on where or what she had done previously.

Trust remained the overriding issue, what could she be hiding?

Brendon was coming off the high and depression setting in when Eleanor quietly came from her bedroom.

"You can't sleep?"

"No"

"Me neither"

"What's up?"

"I still have doubts"

"Oh Shit , how can I help?"

"Oh I don't know. How the fuck did you manage to reach the dizzy heights of GM?"

"You ought to know, you kicked it off."

"How?"

"Well, you got me that first position. There is no way I could have got that by myself. I just received an unsolicited call from an HR firm."

"How do you know I was involved?"

"Your Mother told me."

"Have you been speaking with her?"

"All the time."

"What?"

"We usually meet when I am picking up or dropping off the boys but we often meet for lunch or whatnot as well."

"How come I don't know about this?"

"Well, we only met when you were not there. Anyway, knowing you, you probably never asked. You were determined not to speak of me or see me ever again. And of course you are a man of your word."

"Well, I've now dented that reputation."

"Your Mother actually saved me. She was my confidante and mentor all these years. When we discussed your reputation; She said, she thought, despite all that nonsense you would come around eventually even if it is the only time in your life you would ever do that."

"She did, did she?"

"Well that was the only thing that gave me hope and I clung on to that. And here I am, Ta dah, you big lover!! Your Mother told me that you would always be my Guardian angel."

Rakiura10
Rakiura10
269 Followers
12