The Home & Family Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers

James shook his head and opened the door of Luke's truck. "Luke, only Dakota knows the answer to that. Don't forget Luke, we weren't raised knowing what to do with our emotions, so we just ignored them for the most part. It takes a special relationship to teach us how to take that risk. You might not have known Dakota for years, but I do believe you can have that kind of relationship that with her. You need it, Luke. And I believe that she needs it, too. Don't let your pride keep you from knowing what it is like to be loved."

Luke laughed and said, "Thank you, o great wise one! Go see your sister and I'll catch ya later, man."

And with that, James was gone.

James was right. Dakota needed him and he needed her. He would go and make her see reason, then she would go out with him. Of course, that was assuming that he could make her realize how much she needed him. But some assumptions were worth making!

Luke started up his truck and headed back into town again. He figured he would stop at the diner and find out if anyone had seen Dakota, then he'd grab a shower and go to her. He wasn't exactly sure what he would say when he saw her, but he knew that he had to try. Maybe she would be stubborn and he could use that as an opportunity to kiss her. He was pretty sure that if he could get that far, he could change her mind about not seeing him anymore!

Chapter Sixteen

When Luke opened the door to Ruby's diner, he was surprised to see Dakota sitting in a booth directly in front of the door. Luke started toward her, then realized that she wasn't alone. There was a man standing by her booth, talking to her. As Luke watched, the man tipped his cowboy hat at Dakota, then sauntered off to pay his bill. Luke frowned at the man, but the man ignored him. After the man exited the diner, Luke started toward Dakota's booth again.

Dakota didn't see Luke coming because she was looking down at her menu. Luke tried to compose his thoughts. Even though he had come to the diner with the express purpose of finding Dakota, he hadn't expected to run into her so soon and he really hadn't expected her to be with another man. He wasn't sure that he was ready to deal with this. But backing out was no longer an option. Luke had to talk to her.

As Luke entered Dakota's comfort zone, she raised her eyes to his. Luke could have drown in the look she gave him. It was warm and welcoming all at the same time. It took him a few seconds to realize that he still hadn't spoken to her. "Hello, Dakota," he said quietly.

"Hello, Luke. I was hoping you would stop by here," Dakota answered, in an equally quiet voice. "Won't you join me?"

Luke sat down on the opposite side of the booth. He felt like kicking himself. He had wanted to impress her and coax her into his arms, and here he was, not even able to think up a complete sentence. While his brain was still working on an impressive opening statement, his heart snuck in and took over his vocal cords. "Who was that man?" he heard himself ask brusquely. Now he wanted to hit himself upside the head. How could have asked such a tactless question? If he kept up this conversation, he was going to have to beat himself to a pulp.

Dakota giggled and blushed a little. Luke stared at her in amazement. His mature, adult cuddly doll was giggling like a school girl. Dakota raised her eyes to his and said, "That was Clyde. We met at the auction. He was asking if things worked out between us."

Luke frowned at Dakota. He asked, "What did you tell him? Why did he want to know?"

Dakota sighed, "Well, Clyde said that if things didn't work out between us, he would like to take me out to dinner one night."

At the murderous expression that crossed Luke's face, Dakota giggled again. "Luke, I thanked him and told him that I was flattered, but . . . " She bit her lip as she let her sentence trail away.

It finally registered in Luke's brain that Dakota had told the guy that she wouldn't go out with him. That meant Luke still had a chance. Relief flooded through him. The menu was still in Dakota's hands, so Luke reached out and touched her hand. He said, "Hey, I thought you said men didn't ask you out."

Dakota smiled back warmly, "I guess you were right that I just hadn't noticed before. You were right about a lot of things, though. But, I have to admit that having other guys flirt with me is kinda at the bottom of my list of what I want in life right now."

Luke breathed out a deep sigh. He said, "So, is it possible that I'm on that list of what you want?" At her slight nod, Luke continued, "I've missed you, Dakota. I'm sorry that I didn't speak last week. Can we try this again?"

Dakota smiled warmly. "I'd really like that," she said. "I called Sarah a little while ago and she read me the Riot Act for not talking to you. It just was really uncomfortable last week. Look, I have a proposition for you and if you think it's a bad idea, I'll understand. I was wondering if you would be interested in coming with me up to the cabin for a few days. I need to put a new floor down in the place and it's really a two person job. I had the supplies delivered up there, but I can't do all the work myself. Would you be willing to help me?"

Luke couldn't believe his luck. Just like that, Dakota was willing to put the past week behind them and try to get back on track. What an incredible opportunity to get Dakota alone and show her how he felt about her. He said, "When were you planning on going?"

With a frown of concentration on her face, Dakota thought for a moment. "I think I would like to go up on Wednesday and stay until Sunday. It's going to take several days worth of work, even with both of us. Of course, you might not be able to get off of work for that long . . . "

A smile spread across Luke's face. "I have so much vacation time coming, we could stay up there a month and they couldn't say anything! I would love to go. I'll tell them at work tomorrow and then I'll meet you here on Wednesday morning at 7:00. Is that ok?"

Dakota nodded her head. "Would you like to share a piece of cake with me? I have been craving some coconut cake and nobody makes it like Ruby."

It was almost two hours later when Dakota and Luke said good-bye to one another in the parking lot. Luke was feeling on top of the world. He had really enjoyed spending time with Dakota and she seemed to like it as well. And now he was going to get to spend even more time with her!

Work flew by for Luke the next day as he lined up all of his projects and cases in order for him to take a few days off. He spent the evening after work packing up his clothes and some supplies they could use at the cabin. Since he figured they would be riding the horses up to the cabin, he tried to pack light. When he had finished adding the last bit of clothing, Luke carefully added a box of condoms. He was spending the rest of the week with Dakota, and he could barely contain his excitement.

When Luke walked into the diner, he found Dakota sitting at the bar, laughing with Ruby. Luke slipped onto the stool next to her and dropped his arm around her shoulders. Ruby shot him a questioning look, surprised by his action. Luke just smiled back and wiggled his eyebrows at the older lady. Dakota watched the interplay between the two and rolled her eyes to express her opinion of the situation.

Luke laughed and said, "Well, I'm ready to get down and dirty, baby!"

Dakota shot him a murderous glare. Trying to look innocent, Luke said, "What? Aren't we going to lay the flooring? I was just saying that I was looking forward to getting started."

Dakota growled at him and playfully ribbed him with her elbow. Ruby just laughed and went to get Luke a cup of coffee. When she returned, Luke thanked her, then sat sipping the hot brew. Dakota didn't seem too talkative and Luke was happy to just be with her. He had never felt to comfortable with a woman. Of course, Luke already knew that Dakota was special, so he wasn't really surprised that it was with her that he had this new feeling of peacefulness.

After they finished their coffee, Luke dropped a few dollars on the counter and led Dakota outside. Dakota said, "Ruby said that I could leave my car here, if you don't mind driving your truck up to Hank and Andrea's again."

Luke just nodded and opened the door for Dakota. She threw her backpack into the truck and climbed in. She buckled up and they headed out of town.

As the silence lengthened, Luke began to wonder if Dakota was planning on talking any over the next few days. Of course, he wasn't exactly in the mood to be a chatter box either, but the quiet was beginning to get to him. He decided to tell her about Lazeras.

"I spent Sunday with one of the kids from the Home," Luke said.

Dakota looked at him in surprise, "You did? Is that something you do often?"

"No, in fact, it's the first time I've spent any time with a kid from there since I left. But it seems that this one is a little different. This one is related to me."

Dakota's eyes were huge, "Related to you? What do you mean?"

Luke spent the rest of the drive explaining how Lazeras was related to him. He told her about Ms. Lily coercing him into spending time with the boy and then he told her about their day together. Luke enjoyed seeing Dakota's surprise grow as she listened to him outline his day with Lazeras. She positively glowed by the time he finished the story.

"Luke Rydell! You already love that boy! It's written all over your face! When do you get to see him again?" Dakota asked.

Luke shrugged his shoulders as he pulled into the parking lot of Hank and Andrea's bed and breakfast. He really hadn't thought that far ahead, but suddenly he had and idea. "I was thinking that maybe I would go get him on Sunday, if we're finished, and bring him up to the cabin to see what we've done. Would that be alright?"

Dakota's squeal of delight assured Luke that she would approve of Lazeras visiting. She unbuckled her seatbelt and threw her arms around Luke's neck. "I would love to meet him - what a sweet idea." Then she kissed Luke's cheek and scurried out of the truck.

Luke smiled at Dakota's backside as she walked toward the door of the bed and breakfast. Maybe it wasn't going to be so hard to figure out how to make all three of them happy.

Dakota and Luke went inside to speak to Hank and Andrea before they headed down to the barn for the horses. Andrea had packed them a small cooler full of food and drinks. Luke shouldered it while Dakota grabbed a few tools that they would need. When they had everything ready, they bid Hank and Andrea good-bye and went to find Marshall.

"So how's the world's greatest daddy?" Dakota yelled out as they neared the barn.

Marshall stuck his head out of one of the stalls and grinned from ear to ear. "Dakota! You ought to see the babies! Dove and Eagle are the cutest little ones you could ever imagine."

Dakota laughed as she said, "So Linda Jane finally let you name the babies. It's about time! You've wanted to since you first got her pregnant with Matthew. Of course, I'm glad she waited until you got out of the stage of wanting to name your daughter Bathsheba!"

"Hey," Marshall said, "There is nothing wrong with Bathsheba."

Dakota rolled her eyes, "Yeah, right. I'm afraid that Bathsheba is just not a cool name. Now, Eagle and Dove - those are cool names. How is Linda Jane doing with all of them at home?"

It was Marshall's turn to roll his eyes. "She is in seventh heaven. You would think that she was made to have five babies under the age of five. She just loves it. Of course the house is a mess and I end up cooking dinner every night, but it's worth every bit of it to see how happy her and the kids all are."

While they had been talking, Marshall had brought out two of the horses, saddled and loaded up with a couple of saddlebags. He said, "There's some extra rations in there, if you need them. You both be careful up there and pop a flair if you need anything."

Chapter Seventeen

After thanking Marshall, Luke and Dakota mounted the horses and headed for the cabin. It wasn't a long ride, but in the morning air, it was an invigorating experience. By the time they reached the cabin, Luke was ready to beat his chest and do a Tarzan yell into the mountains, just to hear the echo. It was with great restraint that he managed to hold himself in check.

As Dakota took their supplies inside, Luke unsaddled the horses and gave them a quick brush down. He took them to the back of the cabin and tethered them in a grassy area, making sure the water trough was full for them as well. When they were well taken care of, he wandered back around to the front of the cabin.

There were several piles of flooring supplies covered over by large blue tarps, near the front door. Dakota had told him that she had gotten the road smoothed out enough for the supply truck to deliver the flooring. The men had complained mightily about having to traverse the rugged trail, but they had managed in the end. And now everything they needed was at hand.

Luke went inside to find Dakota just finishing putting up the last of the groceries that they had brought with them.

"I didn't realize that you wanted to replace the floor when we were up here last week," Luke said.

Dakota sighed, "Well, I didn't realize it then, either. I was checking to see about replacing the rotten boards and discovered that it would be more cost effective to redo the whole thing, starting with some treated plywood underneath it all. It will take a little more work now, but it should last for the long haul this way."

Luke dropped his clothes bag over by the bed. Dakota said, "We'll start here in the eating area. We will have to move everything over to the other side of the room in order to have enough room to work."

By the time that it was getting dark outside, Dakota and Luke had torn up the old floor in half of the cabin and began cutting the new boards. Without electricity, the flooring was all having to be cut with good old elbow grease. Luke was shocked at how exhausted he was by the time that the sun went down. He and Dakota made a lite supper out of some canned meat and crackers, then they fell into the bed. Luke had fantasized about seducing Dakota, but the second his head hit the pillow, he was sound asleep.

In the morning, Dakota was out of the bed before Luke even opened his eyes. When he finally did manage to wake up, Dakota was standing by the window, drying her hair. "Where have you been?" Luke asked.

Dakota smiled at him and said, "I didn't realize you were awake yet. I went down to the creek and washed up. It was so tempting that I ended up taking a full bath, complete with shampoo! Help yourself to a towel, if you are interested."

Luke decided to take her up on the offer and went down to the creek himself. He spent a good 15 minutes getting used to the water before diving under and rinsing off in the cool mountain stream. He spent a few more minutes enjoying the feeling before heading back to the cabin. Dakota was already measuring to cut new boards when he got there.

Luke knew that he wanted to spend some of their time together getting Dakota to talk about her feelings, especially the ones that had caused her to think she wouldn't be able to keep him interested. If they really were going to be able to work out their relationship, Dakota had to believe that he truly loved her and wasn't looking for something better to come along.

"Dakota, I know this is kinda personal, but I want to know why you wouldn't go out with me after we got back last week. Can you tell me?" Luke asked.

Grabbing a hammer and a handful of nails, Dakota said, "Yeah, I can tell you. I've spent a lot of time this week thinking about it. You see, when I was growing up, I had this dream. I wanted to find a man who thought I was special. I didn't have a daddy who loved me, so I invented this fantasy lover. This man would drop his teeth when he met me, then proclaim his undying love and wisk me away to his castle in the woods. I guess I read too many fairy tales. In real life, I found that guys only acted like that for the beautiful women, not for girls like me. The end result was that I wanted someone who didn't exist in my world. Robert loved me in his own way, but honestly, we were more like sister and brother than like Romeo and Juliet. We fumbled around in marriage much the way we had fumbled around in our friendship. It certainly wasn't earth shattering and it certainly didn't make me feel especially desirable."

Banging away at the nails in the flooring, Dakota continued, "Then after Robert died, one of his friends offered to help me out, in the same way Wiley Stone offered. They weren't telling me that I was special - their wives were special, but I was good enough to be their mistress - no promises and easily replaced. Somewhere in the recesses of my brain, I began to equate these men's actions with who I was. If only I were prettier, then they would think I was special. If only I weighed less, they would forsake all others for me. If only I were younger, sexier, smarter, the list goes on and on.

"Then you came along. Suddenly, you were telling me that I was all of those things to you. But I had bought you, and I had asked you to act the part of my lover. I thought that maybe you had gotten a little too much into your character and had forgotten, or maybe didn't realize that I wasn't all of those things.

"But, life has been different for me since our week-end. Even though I told you no, you started something changing inside me. All last week, I could feel myself coming to life. I could feel the changes taking place inside my head and my body. My attitude toward myself has had a major overhaul. Luke, I know that it's really too soon to know if I have completely changed in the way I think about myself, but I can honestly say that I want to have a relationship with you because I choose you, not because I think you are the only man who will ever be interested in me. And I have never felt like that before. I think you may have created a monster!"

Luke smiled in pride. Dakota was beginning to see herself as the woman he knew her to be. She believed in herself more and she was willing to do the work to grow in her self-understanding. Luke was thrilled as he realized what that meant to the two of them. Dakota would be able to hold her own and accept his love when the time came for him to declare it. Things were looking good.

The rest of the day went rapidly. Luke and Dakota spent the time talking more about their lives and sharing stories about their work with one another. Once again, dusk snuck up on them and they barely managed to get in bed before sleep claimed them.

The following two days passed in much the same way. Even though they didn't profess their love to each other in so many words, Luke could feel their connection growing each day. And sex wasn't a part of that connection. Not that Luke didn't want it to be, but he hadn't even managed to make a pass at Dakota because he was just plain too tired. His arm muscles ached and his lower back was stiff from all the bending and kneeling he had done. Luke laughed to himself about having planned on using up his new box of condoms. So much for the best laid plans!

By Saturday night, the floor had been hammered in place and all that was left was the quarter round finishing. Dakota called it a day after they ate supper. Luke was surprised, since there was still a few hours of sunlight.

"Don't you want to finish up?" he asked.

Dakota shook her head, "We haven't even had a chance to do more than cuddle up with each other in bed at night. I'm going down to the creek, then why don't we go outside and watch the evening fade away?"

Luke agreed and grabbed a blanket off the bed. He spread it in the front yard by a huge oak tree and laid down to wait for Dakota. When she came back from the water, she was only wrapped in a towel. She went into the cabin, brought out two paper cups of wine and sat them on the ground beside Luke. He pulled her into his lap and settled her in front of him as he leaned against the tree trunk. Together, they sat and relaxed as the day slipped into night.

JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers