All Comments on 'The House on the Ridge'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 46 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierceabout 5 years ago
Peter Cushing, I would think

M. Lee would be too much a giveaway so early in this delicious story.

MoondogAUMoondogAUabout 5 years ago
Nice one.

Nicely gothic Todd. Wondered what you were up to, and the challenges seem to bring out the best skills in writers! Look forward to more from your pen.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 5 years ago
That worked so bloody well!

I'm glad you mentioned the crocuses all those weeks ago.

This actually could have been made by Hammer as one of their horror movies, back in the day, as it was so evocative and filled with atmosphere.

kimi1990kimi1990about 5 years ago
Just wait until I tell.

Mom and Dad finally make you stop playing with guns and breaking my stuff, and this is want you do? Witches and werewolves? You're going to be in soooo much trouble.

Probably your best writing. Thanks for a fun story. For a change.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 5 years ago
That was very well done!

This story has the flavor of the classics. Great job! Your hard work is greatly appreciated. Thanks for writing and posting!

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 5 years ago
Square in the genre.

All the glory of the age of Gothic. Superbly done. Randi.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Excellent

I had the pleasure of an early read on this. It really didn't need much from me. Five stars, easy.

Bebop3Bebop3about 5 years ago
And the hits keep coming

You're probably the most reliable of the top tier writers on Lit.

Great job. That's starting to sound redundant.

green117green117about 5 years ago
Quite good,

as we have come to expect.

Certainly the theme of strength from the realization of one's nature is something you have done before.

Chaining yourself to a compromised protagonist is not a bad thing per se - it certainly allows for a built-in conflict, a necessary hero's journey.

Raising children, and in particular girls, seem to be of interest...

I could only ding you on Chekhov's gun - the Outsiders are a point left hanging.

And, if we were friends, and had a drink or two (or three) in front of us, I might attempt a discussion of the nature of strength, and the limits we put on ourselves, and why.

But! If wishes were wings, we would all fly.

Regards,

Green-something

stev2244stev2244about 5 years ago

Superb story. I didn't fucking see that coming.

FabGMxFabGMxabout 5 years ago
With a flavor of the old classic...

Witches/Bitches vs Werewolves... with a little bit of mistery and the right amount of misdirection. Again a short story but very entralling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Absolutely Fine!

Loved this story, It was great. I am happy that I have found your stories online. You and the Missus do a fine job!

gordo12gordo12about 5 years ago
Definitely a 5

As always, you make it look so easy when you write.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 5 years ago
Dark and scary story...

...with a great twist at the end. Fascinating! *****

BAnde53507BAnde53507about 5 years ago
Aaaaaaamazing!

This story is BRILLIANT! Easily amongst the best you’ve done and one of the top 5 I’ve read on the site. And what a twist! Sooooo good. I would like to see more of these characters. Maybe even a spinoff for Tillie? Pleeeeze!?!

Crusader235Crusader235about 5 years ago
Dare

So glad you took up the Dare. Your version of gothic horror was very well done, and an exciting read. Loved the ending. Congrats to you, and the Misses. Five Stars! Now, back to the Shack!

KRD19254KRD19254about 5 years ago

5* could have been 6*, but for a few loose ends. Who was Thomas - not a warlock? How did the flames self-extinguish, sparing the manor? How will they dispose of all the cellar corpses and not arouse suspicions, much less hire replacements?

Your writing was so very good that not once did you use the word 'wolf' but we all knew what they had/will become in the moon light.

But will Hope ever get a husband?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great story

A really gripping story well written as per usual for you.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Litterateur

You Sir ! Are a professional writer just screwing with us , admit it ! LoL 😂

Thank you for sharing! Long live the king of Lit.

cloakndagger772cloakndagger772about 5 years ago
just confirmss what I always knew...

...you are a superb storyteller. Well done!

CaOldDogCaOldDogabout 5 years ago
Awesome as always 5*

Fantastic story - well written and very entertaining!

GirlintheMoonGirlintheMoonabout 5 years ago
I love your writing.

Another fantastic story. Thanks so much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Again!

Thank you again for sharing your time and talent with us.

Dick

Lord_GroLord_Groabout 5 years ago
John Carradine...

...would have been the perfect casting for Thomas, rather than Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee. Hammer always tended to put him in the supporting roles, rather than as the lead.

The story, on the other hand, was excellent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Fucking awesome

5 Stars!

newtinmplsnewtinmplsabout 5 years ago
Okay, if we are going to cast this thing...

Hope .... Ellie Fanning (watch the movie within a movie of Super 8)

Isobel ... Angelina Jolie (maybe a tich too old now, so second choice would be Karen Gillian

Tillie ... Grace Park (not sure why, just I think she could do it)

tazz317tazz317almost 5 years ago
THE SUPERNATURAL VERSUS THE UN-NATURAL

in ye olde days of the past...the lores were true to for the believers and non-believers, TK U MLJ LV NV

Pappy7Pappy7over 4 years ago
I would think John Carradine for

the lawyer. Good job, as always. Hit the genre right square in the middle. Thanks for the story.

pappy

arrowglassarrowglassover 3 years ago

Quite an interesting read! Picking actors for the parts would be fun...so many to fit the characters.

Siteseeker020Siteseeker020over 2 years ago

Love the twist at the end. I usually avoid horror stories, if I wanted that all I have to do is watch the news. Sadly it seems that almost anything imagined in a story someone will either do, or attempt in real life, or it has already been done. With the exception as far as I know of the supernatural elements, and some days I'm not so sure of that. With that being said it is a very good story and I enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

A superbly understated horror story with a totally unexpected twist. 5 stars for you yet again.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69about 2 years ago

Lovely twisted tale!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

The tone and language was perfect!

RiverMayaRiverMayaalmost 2 years ago

A masterpiece, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Could be a movie it is so great.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

My Squad mates and I use to wonder if their was Vampires and Werewolf . After all how do all those suppressions start . We did not come to a conclusion as We had to go out on another mission . 5 out of the 6 of Us did make it home . The smartest amongst Us got hit by a Stray shot . We will always say a Prayer for him . I was faster then him but he was a better shot with a rifle . I beat him with Pistols almost every time .

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thus was a very unsettling story but superbly crafted.

5💥

RimmerdalRimmerdalover 1 year ago

Such would be at the least fantastic narrated and voice actors for the characters.

texlootexlooabout 1 year ago

Bloody Brilliant

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Damn. This is good.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Wow. Out of your element, stil a home run.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Edgar Allan Poe would be so pleased. You seem to have loyal friends as well as fans. The gestalt is still impressive. Much admiration for the gifts you give us.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 1 month ago

I certainly wasn't expecting how this story went as I didn't expect a thing other than a typical LW story. It was written rather well but it took awhile to comprehend what was happening. The lawyer and the inheritance was interesting I felt good for the mother and her daughter as they seemed to be at the end of their rope. Then they discovered the cellar and then the butler and I wondered how they were going to get out of that. Then everybody turned into something else. Quite a surprise as I finished the story. Very good writing as usual not in my wheelhouse though although I have read a couple of werewolf stories that were written quite well. Our author never ceases to amaze me with with his and his missus talents. Keep on keeping on, I'll keep looking for more!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories