The Infinite Bk. 04 Ch. 06

Story Info
Noah and Aithorn pursue a lead to the plague's origin.
10.9k words
4.89
8.3k
18

Part 37 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On the Horizon

"You look tired," Valia said as she and Noah ate breakfast.

"Well you do tend to wring me out like a washcloth at night."

"I'm serious, you look like you barely slept."

"I've been racking my brain, trying to remember drugs and compounds from past lives. I've memorized plenty of useful recipes over the millennia, but it's been a long time since I needed them like this."

Aithorn appeared almost moments after they were finished eating. "Are you two ready?"

"Indeed, let's go check up on our patient," said Noah.

They made the trek to Balil's house, finding Meralda giving him one of many different medicines. "Good morning. How are you feeling today?" Noah asked.

"The same as yesterday," he groaned. Even with all the drugs and potions he took, his symptoms refused to vanish completely. Though not invulnerable, this disease's tenacity was unrivaled.

"Well for now, let's check on the bacterial cultures. Meralda, if you would please?"

She nodded and clapped her hands together, conjuring a green magic circle. The nearby wall, made of the tree itself, opened like the spreading of curtains, revealing the heating cabinet. Noah began looking through the glass containers and immediately stopped, something Valia and Aithorn noticed.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Valia asked.

Noah showed her two blood samples, one from Balil and another from his friend. The control sample was immaculate, with only a single speck of bacteria, likely due to cross-contamination. Balil's, however, looked like a rainbow splatter of disease.

"This was around twelve hours ago, and there shouldn't be this much variety in the bacteria." He checked all the other samples, but everything from Balil was a bacterial smorgasbord. His blood, urine, stool, and spinal fluid were utterly riddled with nonidentical germs. "At most, there should be a few tiny dots of a single bacteria, but all these strains are multiplying faster than E. Coli and cholera. How can he be infected with all these different diseases at once?"

Aithorn looked them over, following Noah and careful not to open the containers. Though he did not fully understand the nature of disease or how to fight it correctly, the discrepancy between Balil's samples and the others was impossible to ignore. Noah was providing proof of their enemy's identity, of its severity. Though he did not trust Noah's character, the fact remained that he knew what he was talking about, certainly better than anyone else.

"So what now?" Aithorn asked.

"I need ink, paper, some fertile soil, and a bucket of charcoal."

Just like before, Noah busied himself writing alchemic formulas while the materials were gathered. Once finished, he mixed the water and charcoal in a large basin and had Aithorn cast the spell, producing a thick white mush that left Meralda perplexed. "What is this?"

Noah picked up a soupy glob with his finger and tasted it. "Ooh, that's sweet. It's sugar, the perfect growth medium. You folks can try some if you want." The elves tasted the mash, and their eyes widened. "It's good, isn't it? I taught this to a friend of mine in Colbrand, and she uses it to make sweets. Now, for the next step. Meralda, I'll need you." Noah then took a handful of the gathered soil and sprinkled it across the watery sugar. "Use your powers to make the mold and fungi in this soil grow. Stop when the patches are about coin-sized."

She held her hand over the basin, murmured a spell, and green mana flowed from her palm like fog. It settled over the basin, and bits of color began to appear in the field of white. Feeding on the mana and sugar, the colonies steadily grew over a matter of seconds, and then Meralda stopped when they reached the proper size.

Noah removed the fungi that didn't look right and had her continue the spell. The mold resumed growing with the periodic purging of unwanted species. Soon, all the sugar had been consumed and turned into a bluish mold, secreting an opaque liquid. Noah gathered the liquid, filtered it, and poured it onto a bottle.

"What is that?" Meralda asked.

"This is called penicillin, a very powerful drug made from common mold. I come from a place without magic, where creating this takes several days and requires large fermentation tanks, operating under very precise temperatures and with specific ingredients. However, with druidism and alchemy, I can make this liquid miracle in minutes using nothing but dirt, charcoal, and water. Hopefully, this will be able to stop the bacteria from growing."

He had Meralda create a room within the tree where he could work in isolation. Before, he had only worn gloves and a mask, when Balil's affliction didn't seem contagious, but seeing how fast the bacteria multiplied, he wasn't taking any chances. He now wore clothes soaked in alcohol and dried, covering his entire body except his eyes. This sterile burqa was the closest he could get to a biohazard protection suit. One by one, he carefully opened each sample, prepared slides, and examined them closely under the microscope.

They were flourishing in the soy agate he had prepared, and he could see them producing an unknown substance. In all likelihood, they were toxins suppressing Balil's immune system and damaging the surrounding tissue, hence the temporary effect of the poison cures he'd received. Though Noah didn't say it, when he received Balil's urine sample the day before, it was evident his kidneys were struggling.

Along with penicillin, Noah also had many potions and medicinal plants. He'd expose the bacteria to each potential cure and observe the reaction. Once again, elvish medicine proved quite potent, but penicillin was the most effective in stopping the bacteria. Despite that, some strains seemed to resist whatever he threw at them and only died when subjected to pure alcohol.

Eventually, he had to stop. Though properly dried, his clothes still produced alcohol fumes that stung his eyes and made him dizzy. Once he stepped out of the workroom, he released a deep sigh and removed his suit.

"So what did you learn? Is my husband going to be ok?" Meralda asked.

"Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a case like this before. Were you not taking care of him, Balil would never have survived this long. I can't even imagine a human lasting more than a day with this. However, this is still an enemy that can be fought." Noah handed her the bottle of penicillin. "Give a spoonful of this to him daily. It won't cure him, but it'll deal a heavy blow to this disease and buy him some time. I think that Balil..." He stopped and sneezed. "Ugh, I might need to whip up something for myself. Right now, I really need some fresh air."

He stepped out of the house and crossed the walkway, leaning against a railing and looking across the city. "You know, you remind me a lot of Valon," Valia said as she joined him. "He spent so much time hunched over a desk, scribbling runes or making magical contraptions. I helped him through so many crazy experiments... I didn't realize how much I'd miss it and how happy I'd be to help you. I just wish there was more I could do, other than the heavy lifting."

Noah nudged her shoulder with his head, like a cat rubbing against a table corner. "You do plenty, but right now, the less involved in this you are, the better."

"Is it really that bad?"

"Honestly, you should be more afraid of the stuff growing in those dishes than of any monster."

"I remember you called people who fight disease 'doctors.' Is this what it's like?"

"Pretty similar, but the equipment was much better. I was a warrior, fighting enemies smaller than a grain of sand. But there were other times, when rather than fight it, I developed it."

"What do you mean?"

"Biological weapons. You may have heard of it before, armies hurling dead bodies over castle walls, spreading sickness to their enemies. That's how it started, but in the worlds I come from, the practice is far more advanced.

Governments would grow and enhance the deadliest diseases you can imagine, just waiting for the opportunity to lay waste to their enemies. I worked for them, spending countless days looking through a microscope, watching my plague progeny grow and mutate. One of my germs even managed to wipe out almost the entire human race on one planet."

"Why in the world would you do something so horrible?"

"Because it was interesting. Why else? I wanted to see what I was capable of creating, what the deadliest possible disease would be."

"Didn't you think about the people?"

"There was no point. There are infinite versions of every reality and every person, so none of them have any real value. No matter what you do to someone in one universe, there are infinite versions of them that are completely unaffected. Look over there. See that woman?" Noah pointed to an elf walking on the forest floor. "Imagine if you were to accidentally kill her. Maybe something falls from your pocket right now and cracks the top of her head. You'd feel guilty, wouldn't you?"

"Of course I would."

"What if you then learned that she was just one of a hundred identical copies? Picture them, a hundred clones of her, each of them exactly the same, from their memories, thought processes, scars, everything. Logically, you should only feel 1% as guilty. Now imagine a thousand copies. Ten thousand. A hundred-thousand. A million. See what I'm getting at?"

"But her death would still hurt her loved ones."

"Then you find out there are also a hundred copies of each of her loved ones, just like her, and their feelings now matter only 1% of what they did before. Out of an infinite number of different versions, how much does it really matter if one of them dies? You could kill her a trillion times in a trillion worlds, and that would still be like removing a single drop of water from an endless ocean."

Valia shook her head, trying to keep her anger from infecting her tone. "I can't accept that. I can't accept you doing whatever you want to people just because there are copies of them elsewhere."

"That's because you haven't seen the copies. I have. Imagine living your life with someone, laughing with them, crying with them, loving them, mourning them. Then imagine dying, being reborn, seeing them again, and realizing they have no memory of you, because they've never met you.

All those memories, everything that happened in your past only happened to YOU, only matters to YOU. You might as well have just dreamed the whole thing, a dream you inevitably forget. As an elf, you should understand this to some degree. You should know what it's like to watch people die and be forgotten."

She turned to him with an icy glare. "There you go again, assuming that because I'm immortal, I have the same bleak worldview as you. Don't try to use me to justify your sins."

"Why should only my sins follow me beyond death? If I'm cursed to leave all the good behind, then I'm allowed to leave the bad."

Valia continued to stare at Noah, now seeing him in a light she wished she could extinguish.

The arrival of one of the queen's private guards interrupted the moment. "Sir Noah, Her Royal Majesty wishes to speak with you. I'm sorry, Lady Valia, but this is a private invitation."

"Go ahead and take him. I can't look at him right now," she hissed before turning around and storming off.

Noah sighed and followed the guard up to the queen's palace. Inside, he found her standing by one of the many open windows, gazing out across the forest. She wore a beautiful sky-blue gown, one of many priceless elven garments belonging to an empress of such grace. She turned around as he arrived, and her heart fluttered when she laid her eyes on him. She had forced all thoughts of her dreams out of her mind, or, she thought she had.

Even for elves, dreams were quickly forgotten, like the morning fog vanishing under the sun's rays. Yet, Elisandra could still remember the sensation of hands caressing her naked body so clearly. She felt like she could still taste Noah's lips on her own, and her tongue remembered the feel of his against it. For a moment, she dared wonder if this was just another dream and if the Noah before her was a figment of her imagination, one that would touch her in ways she dared not speak and give her such sinful pleasure.

Elisandra turned away from him, worried that her reddening cheeks would give away her inner conflict. For that matter, she couldn't let her guards see her like this. "Leave us," she said.

"But Your Majesty," Noah's escort stammered. There were other guards in the palace, and they, too, seemed hesitant to obey.

"I'll be fine. I wish to have this discussion in private, and I do not want Sir Noah to censor himself to avoid your reactions. Go, now." The guards reluctantly departed, each one giving Noah a cold glare as they passed him by. Only once he and Elisandra were alone did she speak, still with her back to him. "I heard from Leuca that one of my citizens attacked you while you were treating Balil. I am truly ashamed for a guest to be shown such discourteous behavior under my watch."

"You need not apologize, Your Majesty. I hold no ill will towards you or any other elf. If anything, it was amusing. I applaud his sense of timing. He got me right in the middle of a sneeze, when my focus was at its weakest. I hope it was intentional."

"You hope he intentionally attacked you when your guard was lowered?"

"I hope I was struck in a moment of precise timing, rather than an emotional but lucky haymaker. Competency is something I cherish and respect, especially in those who oppose me."

"Then I have no need to fear you seeking revenge on Clemens or myself?"

"I've lived for thousands of years. It would take far more than a punch to offend me. Contrary to my reputation, I strive to be a patient and forgiving person."

"I don't want you to think badly of us. Guests in Sylphtoria are rare, and I won't tolerate them being mistreated."

"It's been fine. You needn't worry. Being here is a true privilege, one I am deeply grateful for. Most people who come here would be enticed by your weapons, treasure, magic, and women, but just yesterday, I got to meet an elven glassmaker, and experienced the honor of watching such a master of the arts at work. I've tasted fruits and vegetables nourished by ancient magic. I've lain on silk sheets while the Nadoku sang me to sleep. This city is truly paradise, and I'm thankful for every moment I can spend here."

"Your words honor me. Time has given you a well-honed sense of appreciation."

"More a matter of perspective. I have lived long enough to see the best and worst worlds that reality can offer. I don't believe in luck, but I do recognize when fortune has smiled upon me, giving me the chance to see and experience things that most only dream about."

"I wish more people had such a mature mindset. Like you, I have lived long enough to see golden ages and dark times. I have witnessed so much bloodshed due to fear, anger, and desire, born from small minds that know nothing of the world upon which they walk. Generations grow with hopes, dreams, and solutions for the future, only to become the very evil they fight against. But you should know this better than I do, don't you, Sir Noah."

"It's true. In all my years living among people, I have learned that they are not driven by desire, morality, or purpose, but fear. They covet because they fear not having enough, they love because they fear being alone, they hate because they fear being hurt, and they worship because they fear their own insignificance."

"When you put it like that, we elves are no different. Myself especially. Even with all my power, fear clings to me like moss to a tree, fear for the future. All leaders worry about what is to come, living in anticipation of tragedy, but mortals only have to hold on until sickness and senescence frees them of responsibility. They can die peacefully, never living to see the worst of what is to come. Elves don't get that privilege.

We are blessed to live forever, and cursed to die in a flash. Free from age and disease, the only fate left for us is violence. Inevitably, someone takes our lives from us. For all our power, for all our defenses, the fact remains that over a long enough span of time, conflict is unavoidable.

I myself will live long enough to see hundreds, even thousands of years of history and turmoil, and die in war or at the hands of an assassin, just as my predecessors did. It's only a matter of time. Forgive me, I've strayed onto an unpleasant subject. You should not be burdened with such things."

Elisandra silently scolded herself. What was she doing, talking about such things with a stranger? Not even Lour knew of her forebodings. Being a leader meant concealing her anxieties, not allowing anyone see any shred of weakness, be they ally or enemy. So why, why did her words, locked for centuries in iron, so easily slip free in front of Noah?

Noah walked over and stood beside her, looking out across the forest. "You need never apologize for speaking your heart. I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough to tell me these things. I've spent so much time around humans, listening to their problems, watching the most mature and educated turn into screaming toddlers fighting over a toy, devoid of patience and understanding.

It's nice to finally talk to someone with a wider perspective. I finally feel like I'm talking to an actual adult instead of just petulant children with wrinkles and beards. I know what it's like to have so much you want to say and never having the chance to say it, no matter how many eons pass."

The queen glanced at him in the corner of her eye, hoping her cheeks had lost her redness. He truly was a fascinating soul. "Have you ever encountered elves in any previous lives?"

"Not elves exactly, but I have encountered other humanoid races. Many reached my world after traveling across oceans of stars. Others were the result of mutations, new species branching off from the human race, the same way the races of this world originated from the Enochians. There were even races made by humans themselves, using technology that blurred the line between sentience and soul."

"Fascinating. From up here, everything seems so vast, but if what you say about multiple universes is true, then the world is quite tiny and insignificant instead. I have lived over a thousand years, yet I've seen and experienced so little compared to you."

"Believe me, you should be grateful for the discrepancy in our lives. You don't want my memories, to know the things I know. My goal is to break my curse and finally rest peacefully, but until that time arrives, I am blessed to be a guest in this elven kingdom, able to speak with the personification of grace and beauty. And should I fail, and resume my journey across the infinite, I hope you will remember me, just as I will remember you."

She finally turned to him with a warm smile. "How could I ever forget you?"

Noah returned the smile and bowed. "Thank you. Now, what can I do for you, My Lady?"

"I want an update on Balil's condition, and your search for a cure. Though Leuca is still wary of you, he told me that he trusts your judgment. I believe I should as well."

"Unfortunately, Balil's condition is dire. Elvish medicine is keeping him alive, but I don't know for how much longer. His affliction is both disturbing and mysterious, as every symptom he shows is the result of a different disease. It's like trying to cure the bites of a dozen different snakes at once."

"Is there room for hope?"

"There is, and I'm not giving up."

"Then allow me to offer you some. Leuca said you inquired about the beast Balil and his team investigated."

"Yes, but they said they destroyed its remains."

"A messenger bird just delivered a report of a similar creature moving about in the northeast. I want you, Valia, and Leuca to track it down and determine if it is related to Balil's condition. Hopefully, you can learn something that may help you find a cure."