The Journey Of Alanna Ch. 02

Story Info
Alanna goes to her new home.
2.3k words
4.63
2.7k
3

Part 2 of the 14 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 09/22/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alanna was feverishly packing her meager belongings into a burlap sack. She knew she was leaving tomorrow, so she had already made some preparations, but she had no idea she'd be this excited to leave. 

There wasn't much to take with her. An extra set of ratty clothes, the old comb she used to keep her hair somewhat presentable, a very old book about adventurers fighting monsters she had outgrown years ago. She continued to treasure that last one nonetheless. Imagining going out into the world, defeating monsters and claiming both fame and glory was one of the few things that kept her going when she was younger, and still believed new parents would one day take her home.

No more imagining, no more fantasies, she thought. This time she was actually getting a new home. Somewhere she'd be appreciated, taken care of and would never have to worry about her future again.

"Hey," she heard from behind her. It was Naji, avoiding her gaze, but her expression was pensive, and she shifted from foot-to-foot, as though uneasy. Alanna smiled as she stood up. "Hey Naji. I'm so excited I managed to get adopted! I kinda wish I'd been adopted as a daughter and not as someone's assistant, but-"

She was interrupted as Naji stepped forward and squeezed her into a tight hug. She even felt Naji's long tail coiling around her legs to press them together even tighter. "I'm so happy you didn't get kicked out, but I'm gonna miss you," Naji said as she tried to bite back sobs. Alanna was shocked at first at how hard Naji was taking this, as the two of them had talked less and less about her eighteenth birthday as it drew closer, but she realized this couldn't be helped. No matter how many times you tell yourself your friends are gonna leave this place one day, almost certainly without you, it doesn't take away the hurt of being separated. Alanna felt her own tears welling up and spilling over, hugging back her only friend in the whole world. 

"I'm gonna miss you too Naji. Please take good care of yourself, okay? Someone will adopt you, and even if they don't I'll use the money I make to make sure you have food and somewhere to stay. I'll come visit. I promise."

She felt Naji squeeze just a bit tighter hearing that promise. 

"Okay, I should let you go," Naji said as she reluctantly let go of Alanna. "You're the kindest, sweetest person I know, Alanna. Don't let your new successful job working for the Duke's Daughter change that," she said, chuckling a little bit. 

"Don't be silly," Alanna said, trying to muster up a laugh as well. "But I'll promise that too. Stay safe Naji."

With that the two separated and Alanna took her bag to the Headmistress' office. Headmistress Sonya was ready to receive her, handing papers to both her and Liriel, though Liriel quickly transferred these to her attendant Alistar without even reading them.

"These are the adoption contracts," Headmistress Sonya stated aloud to both parties. "They are not complex, merely stating that as far as the law is concerned Lady Liriel is now Alanna's legal guardian and that our Orphanage of Sylvarra's Grace has been absolved of any responsibilities towards her."

She looked down on Alanna. Sonya was tall, as many elves were, and her face was nearly always set in a stern expression. Even after so many years under her care Alanna found it hard to tell if the Headmistress was pleased to have placed another orphan, or was reflecting on what an ordeal it was to get Alanna adopted at all.

"I wish you all good fortune, and a long prosperous future together," she said, before turning and leaving for her office. 

"Excellent!" Liriel exclaimed. "Alistar, let's go home." She began heading towards the entrance, a spring in her step, humming a tune the entire time.

"As you wish, madam," Alistar replied. The older gentleman beckoned Alanna to follow as he began to follow Liriel. There was a strange look in his eye before he turned all the way around, one of resignation. "You will be riding in the carriage with Lady Liriel," he stated without facing Alanna. "Please speak only when spoken to. Being this close to Her Grace is a privilege you should not take lightly."

Alanna obediently followed close behind Alistar. "Understood," she said. She understood very well just how lucky she was and had no intention of ruining this opportunity that got thrown in her lap.

The carriage looked as though it was made just for Lady Liriel, elegantly shaped like it was straight out of a fairytale for young girls, made of unblemished white wood inlaid with gold decorations and trim, and a green birch leaf displayed prominently on the doors. Alanna suspected the leaf had meaning, but didn't know what. The children were not allowed outside the orphanage, so this was her first step outside in a very long time, and most of her knowledge of the outside world had been filtered to her through the lessons of the caregivers and what books they allowed her to read.

Liriel had run far ahead of them, but waited impatiently outside the carriage. Alanna couldn't quite figure out what she was waiting for until Alistar arrived and opened the door for her, after which she climbed inside. Alanna then climbed in and sat opposite of Liriel. Soon after Alistar closed the door she heard the horses being goaded to move, and she had to suppress her excitement at finally leaving the orphanage behind, and in such luxury too! The seats had pillows on them that felt like she was sitting on a cloud, absorbing every bump in the road for her, and the windows, which looked to be entirely dark on the outside, were entirely clear from the inside.

She looked in awe as the city passed them by. At first the houses were much like the orphanage, made of a mixture of brick and wood, rarely rising above two stories tall, with large crowds moving to and fro a respectable distance from the carriage. Soon enough however the houses became distinctly elvish, made of trees that were grown aided by magic and then had their heartwood hollowed out to create a home within, leaving the tree alive. 

The cityscape was hypnotic to her, as she had only been able to see it through the orphanage windows or fences, and she struggled to pull her gaze back to Liriel. In the sunlight she had glittered like a gem, from her locks all the way down to her shoes, almost making it painful to look directly at her. In the half-light of the carriage, she instead seemed to shine with an inner glow, as though her clothes and skin had captured some of the light outside and it was now slowly radiating from her. 

She's so pretty, Alanna thought, and it set her heart fluttering. Liriel, meanwhile, had been looking out of the other window seeming quite bored, until she noticed Alanna was looking at her. That seemed to make her grin knowingly. 

"Don't worry. I think you and I will get along swimmingly," she told Alanna, who moved her gaze away when she realized her face was heating up. Even so, she couldn't help but hear something... Predatory, in Liriel's voice. It briefly reminded her of the fat merchant that she saw earlier that day, but she squashed the thought. Lady Liriel is nothing like that man, she told herself. She's the beautiful, kind person who saved me from ending up on the streets.

Soon, the rest of the city fell away to reveal a more open area that ended in tall walls. An ornate gate, guarded by elven men wielding slender halberds and emerald armor, loomed up ahead, though the carriage did not even need to slow before the gates were opened. Looking through the back window she again saw the green birch leaf symbol on the gates as they closed behind them. 

The garden around her was magnificent. A neatly manicured lawn dotted with several fruit-bearing trees, though most prominently were the two birch trees near the entrance to the manor. It was the largest structure she had ever seen, dwarfing even the church to Sylvarra in the quarter of the city that held the orphanage. It was a monument to wealth and influence if she ever saw one, with every windowsill lovingly carved into the shape of plantlife, wildlife or shapely elves, and every window opened up to a room filled with beautiful furniture or had its view hidden by frilly curtains. She saw stables to her right, large enough to allow two of the carriages she rode in side-by-side to enter, and to her left what looked like an attachment to the manor itself, a squat apartment block that while less lavish than the manor itself was certainly no eyesore.

"This whole area belongs to my father," Liriel said proudly. "Each tree was planted here by one of my ancestors, and was named after the one who planted it. You should consider yourself lucky, most people in the city will never get to see this place." Indeed, every tree they passed had some kind of placard attached. She presumed the writing on them, too far away for her to read, would state the tree's name. Interesting way to keep track of your family tree, she thought.

The carriage stopped before the main entrance, a pair of huge double doors each twice Alanna's height, upon which were carved a mirror image of an elven man wearing a wreath caring for a tall tree. A birch tree.

The door to the carriage opened, Liriel stepping out with her umbrella unfolding in one fluid movement."Alistar, be a dear and show the new girl her room and get her ready to work. I will be in my room."

"Of course, Lady Liriel," he said. He walked her to the massive double doors and opened them, Liriel stepping through and disappearing into the manor. 

Alanna was waiting patiently at the carriage. Alistar approached her, looked her up and down, then... Sighed? His expression hadn't actually changed, but by his tone she could have sworn that sigh had been an expression of aggravation. 

"I'm sorry sir, is something wrong?" she asked. 

He blinked, which she thought was likely as much surprise as he was capable of expression. "No, nothing is the matter. What was your name again?"

"Alanna, sir."

"Very well, Alanna. Allow me to welcome you to the Singor estate. I will be your supervisor while you work for the Singor family, so if you have any questions or problems you can come to me, understood?"

"Yes sir," Alanna stated attentively. 

"Good. I'll show you to your room. You'll be able to get redressed there. It may be your first day, but there will be no slacking."

Alistar began to walk and Alanna hurriedly followed after him. They turned to the left towards the squat, blocky apartment building. Alistar pressed the door open to reveal that within was even more humble than outside. There were many other workers here, moving in and out of their own rooms, carrying laundry, food or tools or conversing amongst themselves. It almost felt like a miniature city within the city, except that everyone here was an elf.

Alistar, however, was focused on the task at hand. The crowd parted before him, the other workers offering him a polite greeting as he passed, though they gave her a strange look. She realized she stood out and her ears drooped. She desperately wished she could make them disappear.

"Here we are," he said as he pushed the door open to a small room in the corner of the building. Within Alanna saw a comfortable, if plain, wooden bed, a cupboard with an oil lamp atop it, a wardrobe that already had several uniforms hanging in it, and a foldable wooden screen behind which she saw a tub, already containing a sponge and soap.

"It's not much, but depending on how well you do in service to Lady Liriel, we can look at getting you a room closer to Lady Liriel in the manor itself in the future."

Alanna stepped into the room, quiet for only a second, before turning to Alistar. "Are you kidding me?!" she said, her smile so wide she felt like her face was going to split open. "I get my own room? My own tub?" she ran to the closet, feeling the sleeves of each uniform. There was a frilly maid's uniform clearly meant for the cleaning staff, a rougher set of overalls for gardeners. They didn't look like they even fit her, but in the moment she was so happy she didn't even care. "My own clothes? This is the best day of my life!"

She turned her attention to Alistar, walking up to him and grabbing his hand, shaking it rapidly. "Thank you! Thank you and Lady Liriel! I promise I won't mess this up and will work hard every day!"

Again, that blink of surprise. "You're... Welcome," he responded, slowly picking his words. "One of the maids will be over to take your measurements. She'll bring you a new uniform so you can get started. Please get washed, dried and redressed. I'll be back in thirty minutes."

"You got it!" Alanna said before she caught herself, putting a hand over her mouth. "I mean, understood sir," she corrected rapidly.

Alistar nodded briefly, then stepped out of the room. Alanna went to the bed, running her hands over the sheets. They smelled wonderful, like a flower bed in spring. She couldn't resist and laid down on the bed. She couldn't believe how soft it felt, like drifting away on a gentle stream.

"Finally home," she whispered to herself.

Alistar left the servant's building. The day was only halfway over and yet he already felt like he needed a rest. He took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. He felt another migraine coming up, and in his mind already visualized the much-needed cup of peppermint tea he desperately needed.

"What a mess," he muttered to himself as he put his glasses and his professional mask back on.