The Keeper and The Dragons Ch. 31-33

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ooona walked in front of her sister. Her downcast eyes kept sneaking looks at him. Quinn realized she was terrified.

"Mistress Tooli, please tell your sister not to be afraid. I won't hurt either of you. Just lead me to where you took them and you can go about your day."

An hour later, Ooona stopped at a nondescript building, moved close to her sister and whispered in her ear.

"This is the place. It is the guild's old labor exchange building. Ooona says they delivered them here."

"Through that door?"

"Yes, master. They took them down into the basement. Two levels down, there are some holding cells."

"Thank you." He reached into his pack and fished out two rolls of pennies and handed them to her. "Go now. A word of warning, Mistress, if you have any sisters and brothers nearby. Warn them to go far from this place. The old dragon cometh.

Two levels down, Quinn made his way through a dim hallway lit by coal oil lanterns. Two muscular female dwarfs who were stoking a coal furnace gave him a dismissive glance and went back to their cheerful gossiping as he walked by.

At the end of the hallway, he found four doors, each barred with massive white oak four by fours. The Guildmaster must have been serious about keeping whatever species he imprisoned locked up. Quinn methodically checked each room.

He finally found them in the third room.

They were sitting in the middle of a chalked circle, holding their heads. Apparently, they were hurting bad enough that they didn't notice his entrance. He stood watching them with a grin on his face. They were usually so smug, so collected; it was a nice treat seeing them in disarray for once. There was also a vast sense of relief that they were okay.

Quinn started to introduce himself when he caught a movement out of the corner of his and moved just in time to avoid the blade that flickered past his face.

Wraith.

"You might as well come out, Mousie. I see you over there."

Another blade came flickering at him. This one he caught.

"Damn it, stop throwing things at me."

"Lachlan Quinn, stop yelling at her," shouted Elisabeth, then closed her eyes and moaned. "Oh, what a headache. You guys, okay?"

"Okay," Niamh whispered. "Just stop shouting."

"Spell shock," Katherine said. "I've heard of it, but I had no idea it was this bad. What are you doing here, Lan?"

"I thought it was obvious, I'm rescuing you. What happened to you? I told you to be careful."

"We got drugged and ended up here." Elisabeth said.

"One of the dragons drugged you?" Quinn stopped, thinking that another piece of the puzzle had dropped.

"Yes. It had to have been."

Niamh interrupted his train of thought. "Lan, Katrinka was here with us. While we were unconscious, she's gone. Tell him Elisabeth."

Quinn felt himself transforming. His worst fear realized. If she was hurt, it was 100% his fault. A flash of self-hatred came. And went. Burned away everything. And left behind—Purpose. The Other surged to the fore. With a shriek, the Dragon's razor snapped out looking for prey.

Elisabeth screamed.

Katherine and Wraith immediately responded. They stepped in front of Elisabeth. Niamh shifted and crouched beside them, her tail twitching.

He fought for calm.

"Wait," Elizabeth shouted, then winced. "You surprised me, that's all. Let's settle down and talk."

Quinn finally gained control. The rage burned out. Only ice remained.

"Please accept my apologies," he said stiffly, his tone remote. "Of course, I mean you no harm. I'd cut my arm off first. Please fill me in, Elisabeth, if you would."

"Sweet mother," Katherine said. "What the hell are you?"

"He is the Shadow Walker," Wraith snarled. "The troll women's pet assassin."

"Never mind that. Please tell me exactly what you saw and experienced. Did you find your scroll?"

"Yes, and a lot more," Elisabeth told him what she'd seen.

"Sweet Mother, he's fucking insane. Creating a thinning into here from Niflheimr will be catastrophic. What the daemons don't destroy, the Sidhe will when they go to war to remove them. Elisabeth, do you think you have any chance at all of breaking the hex at the bank?"

"I don't know. I'm going to try. I told her I would."

"Okay." Quinn's eyes were cold. "The only being that can destroy that portal is the old dragon himself. You must free him. I'm going to see this Daoine and get Katrinka. It's me he's after, anyway." He turned to Niamh and Katherine. "Would you lead her back to the bank?"

Katherine nodded. "Of course, Lan, you're not going to do anything stupid, are you?"

Wraith snorted, "Of course he is. I'll go with him."

Quinn ignored her. "Say to the old dragon, the soul-eaters are coming. Invasion."

He walked out with Wraith following.

12