The Kid Nobody Missed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay. So, anyway, what does that have to do with Mike vanishing?"

"If Mike didn't just take off, then he could have run into trouble with either drug dealers, or some girl's family or friends. This could get complicated."

Even though Artie didn't think it wasn't drug related, I decided to keep that possibility open in Sheila's mind.

She was quiet for a little while, and I could see her mind working on something. I figured she'd eventually share it. Besides, I was enjoying the quiet. After a while, she looked up at me and I knew it was time for whatever her brain was working on.

"Zack, I had a really good talk with mom. I've been thinking about this a lot on my own, and she kind of helped me come to a decision."

"This sounds big. Decision about what?"

"My life. I've been with my little commune now for almost four years, and now I feel like that time was completely wasted. I mean, yeah, I like sex and all the things we talk about, but it's really feeling empty, you know? I guess what I'm saying is, I think it's a bunch of crap that I bought into, and it's time to grow up."

"Really? I can't say I'm sorry to hear that. Back in the day you were someone I thought would take on the world and do great things. Seeing you in that hippie crowd shocked the hell outta me. What made you get involved with them?"

"Mom would say I was rebelling, and I think she's partially right. But, I'd say it was the sex. I've always liked sex, I mean, I like it a lot. The free and flower child lifestyle took away the guilt I always felt. Then, when dad saw me, it just sealed it in my mind that I was going to enjoy every guy and a few girls in any way I wanted. So, the group freed me to run wild with no guilt."

"And now?"

"Oh, I'll still want to make love as much as possible, but I want to be with just one guy who really loves me. But I have to find a way to break free from where I am, find a place to live, find a new purpose and start living my life as I should. I guess it's time to grow up."

"No more Moonbeam?"

"It's a stupid name, Zack."

I smiled when she said that. "Sheila, I think you're still a world-beater."

Unlike Moonbeam who couldn't be embarrassed, Sheila blushed and shyly folded her arms as she lowered her gaze towards the table. "I really wish you and I could make love, but I can see in your eyes that you don't think of me that way, do you?"

"Sheila, I'm sorry, but I have my heart set on someone else. I'm glad we're friends. Beyond that, let's see what happens."

"That's fair. I guess I need to start working on a plan."

Something popped into my brain and I needed to consider if it was a smart move or not. I found myself in a moment of weakness, and decided to throw it on the table.

"Sheila, I have an idea that may work for us both. I have a big, empty house, and a new business starting in a week. If you would be willing to work for me as a secretary, you could stay at my house rent-free. At first, I wouldn't be able to pay you, but I'd give you a room and I'd buy all the food and things we need. You wouldn't have any expenses."

"Would that work? I mean, you still wouldn't expect sex or anything? I mean, if you did, I would, but, well, you know."

"Come on! Knock that off."

Her blush was redder than the tablecloth. "Sorry. I'll behave."

"I don't want to complicate anything. If it works out, it could be good for us both. As soon as the business is going I would start to pay you as well. You could also help with some investigations when needed. You can use the time with me to decide what you want to do, and it would give you the freedom to go for it at whatever pace you'd like. Or, you may like this investigation stuff, who knows? What do you think?"

"Can I see your place?"

We did the grand tour. She saw her room that was actually my room when I was growing up. We finished in the office and I showed her the secretary's desk, and she turned and looked at me.

"Is this for real, Zack? Can I really do this?"

"You bet."

"When can I move in?"

"Now, if you want."

"I don't have much stuff. Can we go get it and I'll move in tonight?"

*****

Sheila and I drove to her commune home. We walked in and I nearly passed out from the smell of pot, body odor, the lingering stench of incense, and what I think was rotting potatoes. Sheila got into an animated, whispered conversation with some tall guy with long, greasy black hair. His madras shirt, drenched with sweat, was long enough to pass as a dress. Good thing, since he didn't have anything else on and I wasn't in the mood to see some hippie's pecker.

Sheila went to the back to pack, and grease-ball thought we should talk.

"Hey, man! You can't just come in and take Moonbeam. She's, uh, with me and River."

"River, huh? Like the Lehigh? Can someone belong to a river?"

"No, man. River. He's a friend."

"Oh, and who are you?"

"Eagle."

He didn't like that I laughed at his name. "Okay, uh, Eagle." I chuckled some more for effect. "Since you hippies all believe in love, peace, and freedom, I think Sheila can go wherever the hell she wants."

I stood tall and got into his face. Damn, his breath smelled like shit. "You believe in peace, Beagle?"

He stumbled backwards and fell into a pile of crap covering an old stuffed chair. "Hey, mellow out, man. It's all cool."

I backed away and he scurried off. You would think these enlightened butt-heads would know how to bathe.

Sheila didn't have much stuff. We took my duffle bag and it still felt empty after we loaded her few outfits, a favorite pillow and blanket, and a toothbrush. She argued with me when I told her I'd take her to Hess' department store the next day and get her some clothes suitable for the job, but she gave in when I pointed out that this was part of how she was being paid.

The next day we went back to her mom's house, told her of our arrangement, and retrieved a few more personal items. Her mom was sure that we had a budding romance, but I set her straight.

Hess' department store wasn't far from my house and Sheila decided she could walk there while I paid a visit to several of Mike's girlfriends.

The first, Shannon Gaines, worked as a waitress in a diner not too far away. Hoping to catch her at a slow time, I went for breakfast at 10:00 AM. I got lucky.

I sat and was greeted by a fairly attractive young waitress that looked like she had been suckin' on lemons all morning.

"What can I get you?"

"Coffee, two eggs scrambled with wheat toast. Can I ask, are you Shannon Gaines?"

She looked at me like I just shot her dog. "Who the hell are you?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anything. I'm a friend of Sheila Peters, and she mentioned you dated her brother."

"What's it to you?"

"I'm just trying to track him down, and I hoped to ask you a few questions, that's all."

"Yeah, he disappeared and good riddance. That guy is a pig and I hope he's rotting away somewhere."

"I get it. I really do. I've heard enough about him to understand why you'd feel that way. Please, just a minute or two?"

"Pound sand. I'm busy."

"Sorry, okay. Look, will five bucks buy two minutes?

If her expression could get any worse, now she had a real "Ah, shit" face. "Damn. All right. Let me put your order in, refill a few cups, and I'll give you two."

Little Miss Sunshine grumbled with every step while she carelessly poured coffee into several customers' cups, not caring if some splashed on the table or elsewhere. I never understood how people that live on tips can afford to be nasty. I wanted to get this over with.

"All right. You got two minutes."

"So, you dated Mike."

"Wouldn't call it dated. When he wanted to screw, he came to my place and barged in. Happened maybe a dozen times before I had a friend persuade him never to come to my place again."

"Persuade?"

"Beat the hell outta him. I loved watching."

That was the first and only smile I saw from Shannon.

"What was he like with you?"

"He liked to be rough. Real rough. And he got off on calling me names pointing out anything about me he thought was less than perfect."

"Less than perfect? I'm not hitting on you, but, you're gorgeous. What could he find flaw with?"

"Anything he wanted to just to make me feel small and for him to feel big. I got sick of it. The last time, he went too far and I bit his...well, I bit him. Bit him pretty hard, too. He slapped me, and stormed out. That's when I got Tony to help put him in his place. Never heard from him after that. Is that enough? I got customers."

"Yeah, that's fine. Thanks, Shannon. I'll be sure to leave a big tip."

"You do that."

My meager and overcooked breakfast tab was $1.65 plus tax. I left another five and headed for my next destination.

Linda Baines was Mike's girlfriend for about six months and, according to Sheila, they were still dating when Mike disappeared. Sheila said she was a sweet, innocent-looking girl and wondered what she saw in Mike. I was anxious to hear her story. I wondered if a friend or family member may have taken care of Mike to protect her if she was really as sweet as Sheila said.

Linda worked as a stock girl at Woolworth's five and dime near downtown. I found her in the toy aisle stocking beach balls. She was a mousey little thing, about five foot tall, and I doubted she weighed more than a hundred pounds. If Mike played her rough, I would think she'd have broken in half.

"Excuse me, are you Linda Baines?"

"Hi. Yes, I am. Who are you?"

Her voice sounded like she was talking to a baby, sort of high and airy. She seemed nothing like the type Mike would go for.

"I'm a friend of Sheila Peters, and I promised to help her try to find Mike. I understand you two dated and I wondered if I could ask a few questions."

"Sure. It's about time for my lunch break. Wanna join me for a hot dog at the lunch counter?"

"That would be great, if you'll let me buy?"

"You don't have to, but, okay. Let me tell my manager I'm taking lunch."

She walked with quick, baby-steps towards the back of the store and returned with a smile. "Okay, come with me."

Linda grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the lunch counter like a mother guiding her reluctant child. She led me to a stool at the end of the counter.

"We should be able to talk here. So, what do you want to know? Do you know where Mike is?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out. I understand you are his girlfriend?"

"Yes, at least I was. I wish I knew why he left."

"Can you tell me what he was like?"

"Most people would say he was a complete jerk. I guess you could say he was a bit rough around the edges."

"What do you mean? Like, was he nasty or too physical, perhaps while making love?"

I hated leading the person I was interviewing, but I wanted to get right down to the details.

"Well," she giggled, "when we screwed it was really rough and he would call me all sorts of nasty things."

"Forgive me for being so direct, but are you okay with that?"

"Yeah," she giggled again. "I love it rough. I mean, really rough. Does that shock you?"

"Well, yeah. You seem like a sweet girl, and I guess I don't understand."

"I'm not going to go into details, uh--you never told me your name."

"Oh, sorry. I'm Zack Masters. Please, go on."

"Well, Zack, as I said, I'm not going to go into details. But, I'd be glad to show you if you're up for it."

I felt a hand rubbing my johnson over my pants. She was as subtle as a canary yellow dress at a funeral.

"Mmmm. It feels like you're up for it, Zack. Wanna play after I get off work?"

I hated to do it, but I moved her hand away. "As, uh, fun as that sounds, Linda, I really just need to figure out what happened to Mike."

She pursed her lips but her hungry eyes made me feel like a lame gazelle surrounded by a pride of drooling lions.

"Well, let's just say I'm a bit of a different person in bed. If anything, Mike wasn't rough enough. I think I upset him. You see, I knew he wanted to be in charge, and I kept taking control from him. It made him mad, and he would get even rougher, which is what I wanted anyway. It's strange, really. The rougher I let him be, the less he was able to perform. I'm just glad I had other lovers who were able to do what I wanted."

"Just curious. Was there any friend or family member that may have been trying to protect you from Mike?"

She burst out into a high-pitched laughter that could shatter glass. "No. No chance. What family I have all live in Georgia and wouldn't blow their horn if they were about to run me over. And all my friends know my appetites well enough to understand that Mike was no threat."

"I appreciate you helping me, Linda. You've been very informative."

"Okay. Are you sure you don't want to play later? I promise not to hurt you."

"I'm sure. Oh, one more question. Did Mike ever share anything with you about his other female friends or his conquests?"

"Oh, yeah. He had a few around if he was in the mood. He'd also talk about getting women at bars and doing them outside when they were drunk. I told him I didn't like him doing that. I didn't care about the sex, but people should agree to screw, you know? I think he got off on finding something I found offensive. Then he told me about some girl he nailed at the Kutztown Fair last year. I think he made it up to piss me off and then he gave me a really rough night. I loved it, though. Come to think of it, that was the last time I saw him."

Linda was one of the strangest people I'd ever met. I guess the world is really full of varieties with quirks we'd never expect.

*****

I sat in Vickie making notes, and found myself talking to her. I guess it was good she never answered.

My instincts told me that Mike's bragging to Linda about his bed-notches had significance. I decided to make one more stop before calling it a day. I needed gas anyway, and it wasn't far to the station where Mike and Artie worked.

I pulled in and, as luck would have it, Artie waited on me.

"Hey, Artie."

"Oh, you again. What do you want now?"

"A fill-up of regular, and I have one more question. Did Mike ever mention something happening at the Kutztown Fair?"

He rubbed his forehead as if trying to get his brain working. "Kutztown Fair. Hmm. Oh, wait. Yeah he said he got lucky with some babe behind the porta-potty. I remember him sayin' she was a tight little thing."

"Any idea who she was?"

"Nah. Mike didn't know either. Said she was carrying some plastic dinosaur or something she musta won when he persuaded her to put out."

"Persuaded?"

"Mike usually went for drunk women at bars, but I got the impression she was very young and very sober. He was getting more and more careless with who he pulled into the bushes--takin' stupid chances."

"So, he raped her?"

"I don't know. I guess. I know he was doin' more stuff like that. Think something like that's what made him disappear?"

"I'm not sure, but I could see how raping some guy's woman could make some enemies. The one at the Kutztown Fair coulda been some farmer's daughter whose daddy had a big gun and lots of places to bury a body, ya know?"

"Damn! Never thought of that. If that were the case, I bet Mike is history. That'll be $4.78."

"Geez! When did gas go up to thirty cents a gallon?"

*****

Something really smelled fishy and I wasn't in a Catholic neighborhood on a Friday. Linda thought Mike made up the story about the Kutztown Fair, but Artie thought it was true along with other attacks on women. With the fair, I thought I'd at least have a chance to see if anything was reported. I just couldn't figure out how I might find information on what happened there almost a year ago.

I needed thinking time, and I had work to do to get my office up and running. I talked Sheila into finding a new place for dinner where we didn't run into her old hippie friends. We settled on a nice diner up near the airport. It was a short drive and I enjoyed getting Vickie out of the city and on some open highway.

I also decided to start keeping information on the case close to the vest. I hated not telling Sheila everything, but I didn't want her jumping to conclusions or getting false hope. My story was that I hadn't found anything new, and I was sticking to it.

On a whim, I decided to keep the same closed-lip policy with Liam. I wanted to trust my instincts, and if I shared too much he might shoot down an idea that actually had potential. If it was a dead end, I wanted to learn that by myself.

*****

Friday evening I had scheduled dinner with Liam, and I wanted to take Sheila with me so I could tell him about her working for me. The sound of happy diners and the smells from the Italian kitchen welcomed my senses as we entered our favorite Italian restaurant. Liam was already seated.

"Zachariah, who is this pretty lady with you?"

"Liam, call me Zack, remember? And I thought you knew Sheila Peters."

The look of shock on his face was priceless.

"Sheila! I thought you went by Moonbeam. You look...well, so different."

"Thank you, I guess. Moonbeam has grown up with Zack's help. How are you, Detective McMurray?"

"Please, just call me Liam. I'm fine. Are you two, uh, together?"

He shot a strange look my way. He was not happy to see her with me. I took the lead to answer his question.

"We're friends. Sheila will be working with me when I get the agency running."

"Wow. Well, Sheila, I hope things work out."

The conversation turned to idle chatter while we ordered and waited for the food. I realized I hadn't really found out much about why Aunt Nancy and Caitlyn left town, and hoped I wasn't out of line asking with Sheila at the table.

"How are Aunt Nancy and Caitlyn? Have you talked with them?"

"They're good. Yeah, we talk fairly often."

"Is there a chance they'll move back? I mean, you guys didn't actually split, did you?"

He looked really uncomfortable and kept glancing at Sheila. "I, uh, think they'll be back soon. Initially she went to help Nan's mom late last summer, but I think she stayed to sorta send me a message. She wants me to retire."

"You thinking of hanging up the badge?"

"I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm ready. Can we move on to some other topic?"

"Sure. Just thought you'd wanna know I really haven't found anything new on Sheila's brother."

Clearly uncomfortable, Liam looked at Shelia with sympathetic eyes. "Ah, I'm sorry. Like I told Zack, there's not much of a trail."

"Thanks, Liam. I know Zack is being nice and trying, but I guess it's a long shot."

The evening took on a weird feel. I couldn't read Liam's thoughts on Sheila being with me, and the fact that I was still looking into Mike's disappearance seemed to annoy him. Instead, we talked about my plans for the agency, and about Liam getting me set up to carry a concealed weapon. I already had a 9mm Smith and Wesson Model 39. I'd used an M1911 in 'Nam, but I'd be comfortable with the 9mm. I was as anxious as a kid on Christmas morning to start stirring up some work.

At home, Sheila asked why Liam looked so jumpy. I wasn't sure and told her so. She asked, "Do you think it's me?"

"Maybe. But I don't think so. He seems really sensitive talking about Aunt Nancy and Caitlyn."

"He doesn't know me well and probably didn't want to get too personal, you know?"

"It's awkward. Plus, he knows it's your brother we're looking for, but he explained how difficult it is to get results almost a year later. He doesn't want you to get your hopes up. Actually, he doesn't want that for either of us."

When we went to our rooms for the night, the discussion about Nancy and Caitlyn weighed on my mind. Caitlyn was five years younger than me and I used to babysit her. At first, we were more like brother and sister, but we grew even closer by the time she turned ten. I wondered how she was now that she was grown.