The King's Consort Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The young woman in his arms cried out in ecstasy, blind to anything but her own pleasure. It was then he decided to drink, forcing her to come as he drained the life out of her. She clutched at his huge arm, her eyes wide with horror. It lasted far too long for Caitlin and she had to bury her face in Kalen's shirt, feeling like a traitor to her own kind.

When she finally looked back up, the girl was slumped against Eamon dispassionately. He continued to drink until a paleness touched the girl's lips and even Caitlin knew she was dead. There was a moment of silence before Eamon spoke, wiping his mouth with a sleeve. "Now, onto business."

The young woman's vacant eyes stared out at nothing.

"Daughter-in-law."

His words startled Caitlin. She slowly raised her gaze from the dead girl to him, refusing to respond, though it looked as if he didn't require it. The room was even more silent after his show of power. No one spoke out against him.

He was King, after all.

"I've not forgotten our first encounter," he said, fondling the corpse on his lap, then relinquished it by the neck to one of the guards, who took it away. Eamon leaned forward and placed his elbows on the bench, folding his hands together, his cheeks rosy after the feeding. "You had my soldier kill a human in front of you, and now you've asked the same of my son. Ruthless as well as vicious, I see. But not fearless. And much too soft."

"Father," Kalen finally interjected. "This has nothing to do with Nadia's kill, or mine. Let's get on with it so the council can return to their real work. There's no need to waste their time." The last word was said with such an emphasis, Caitlin heard something else behind the meaning.

Eamon's beady black eyes shot Kalen a deadpanned look. "Ever rational, I'm sure." He glanced around to his council members. "Very well. We are here to sentence Caitlin Stone for accepting the Queen's blood. It was an unnatural breach of our law to give blood freely to a human without the intent to change them. However, as I have been unable to locate Amandine, it will be Caitlin who receives the punishment for these crimes committed. I haven't decided on a proper punishment that would best suit you, though, so the council will advise me on the matter." He waved a hand. "Do begin."

The council member next to him stood, first. "By permission of King Eamon, first of his name, I request the expediency of her death at the moment of the heir's birth. She should not be allowed to rule besides the-" His dark gaze flickered to Kalen. "-the prince. He's shown this council little regard in his decisions, taking the next consort without consultation from us. This child bride would only encourage his rebellious nature. And I fear for the kingdom at large." Shock coursed through Caitlin and her fingers went numb to shock. She gripped tighter to Kalen as the man sat down, looking all too smug with himself.

Eamon didn't hesitate. "Thank you, councilman James. I will take it into consideration. Does anyone else have anything to add?"

The woman with the gold circlet stood. "As a representative of King Julian, I strongly request that she is released to her home. From the lack of evidence, and with only the heresy of your contacts, I would advise you to stay your hand in this decision, King Eamon."

Eamon nodded, but a councilman in the purple robes of a priest stood across from her. "This girl is little more than a vessel for the next heir. She deserves no one's consideration, especially with all the trouble surrounding her." He threw out a white hand towards Caitlin. "Look at her! She's already shrouded with shadow energy."

"It is from the child." The severely dressed vampire stood, who looked like a widow in her black laced dress. "Do you not see it, Viktor?"

The priestly man shook his head. "Not only that. There is something else about her. Something... unnatural. I believe it is the Queen's blood which courses through her veins, or perhaps it is because she is Abraham's seed. Either way, the consort is tainted, and both she and the babe should be killed before it is large enough to claw its way out and lay claim to the throne."

A few of the council members gasped, and Caitlin felt a sense of lightheadedness. This was a lynching, not a pardon as they were promised. She swayed on her feet as Kalen held tight. He remained unusually silent, and she wondered what he intended to do, if all did not go according to plan.

Eamon's eyes glittered at the dissent, then the portly councilman spoke up. "Viktor is wrong. It was Gabriel's influence that put the darkness in her, as we know. She is tainted, but it does not affect the child, so I must agree with James on this point. The heir deserves a right to live."

But not me, she thought as exhaustion crept up on her.

Kalen's energy built steadily, and she felt almost an audible click as his sensibilities changed over to something more dangerous. "Father, I implore you-"

Eamon's face, upon hearing Kalen, turned sour. He stood and splayed his arms wide, bellowing, "It is not your place to speak here, boy! My council has the floor now. You will respect it, or I will have you removed from the council chamber and we will make our decision without you present."

Kalen's arm flexed around her. Caitlin could nearly taste his energy roiling over them both.

"Eamon." The widow woman turned to face him, her aged features, frozen by vampirism, creased with a smile. "What harm is there in letting the human girl live? If she dies during the childbirth, so be it. We should respect Kalen's wishes. I don't know that I agree to changing her, as she does not appear to be queenly material. But she may surprise us, before the end. She has nearly three years left, after all."

Eamon's jaw ticked, like Kalen's did when he was angry. "I have heard your advice. Is there anyone else that wishes to speak before I make my decision?"

The room was utterly silent again.

"Good." Eamon took his seat once more, cooling as if he never had lost his temper. "I am surprised no one suggested the alternative." His entire council, Kalen, and even she waited with rapt attention as he drew out the pause. "Perhaps this consort is tainted by her lineage. Perhaps the child inside her is unfit to take the crown, long after I am gone. But one thing I am certain of-" His smile returned, widening so his cheeks rounded and his eyes creased. "-is I would not fail to seed her, myself, if the child is removed from her ungrateful little body."

Only Caitlin gasped, clutching at her stomach in fright. Kalen seemed frozen next to her, staring unwaveringly at his father.

"Oh, don't look at me like that, boy. You haven't told her?"

"Tell me what?" Caitlin's wide eyes flitted to Kalen, then back to the King.

Eamon's smile grew wider. "As Viktor said, you are only a vessel. If we remove the child you now carry, you would survive so to be re-seeded. That way, the true heir would have a better chance at success than through his weak heritage. I made a mistake, siring a child with Amandine. Kalen is too impassioned, too gentle with humans." He spat out the last word as if it were a curse. "I would not make the same mistake, allowing the weak-willed mother to handle him." Eamon stood, and Caitlin nearly tripped backwards, only steadied by Kalen. He would not be so gentle with her body, he would not hesitate to feed off her as he did not so long ago. "It is my decree, then, that my surgeons remove the child, and the consort will be brought into my bed, for a proper seeding."

Kalen's hand on her shoulder squeezed so tightly, she was beginning to lose feeling in her arm. But she didn't speak, finally understanding his father's true goal. He never cared to hear his council's determination. He never intended for this to be a formality. It was all just an act.

Guards descended the steps and surrounded them with Kalen frozen to the spot. She buried her face in his shirt, possibly for the last time, when the doors behind them burst open.

Even the guards froze as a tall, pale figure entered, commanding the room with her presence. Only Caitlin roused from the surprise long enough to cry, "Amandine!"

Amandine paid her no mind, marching up to the high bench. Her midnight gown swept the floor, and the guards moved aside, despite themselves. Her target was only Eamon as she approached. "Eamon, you will not suffer this girl your wrath. You let her go this instant."

Eamon was also stunned as she stopped in front of him.

"My daughter had collapsed to the floor when I found her. I did all I could to save your grandson, who you are so eager to be rid of. I would not have her blamed for my crimes Eamon. If you so thirst for justice, take it from my flesh, instead." She opened her arms, as if welcoming him into a hug, thought the bench stood in their way. "You never hesitated before."

Caitlin reached for Amandine, but Kalen stopped her with the slightest shake of his head.

Eamon ignored everyone for Amandine, standing from his chair in a hurry. "My dear Queen. I have been searching for you for nearly half-a-century." He bowed low, a gesture he had not granted anyone else. "But this girl, this human is not your daughter. She's-"

"As much my family as she is yours, Eamon," Amandine finished. "Caitlin is not your pawn and if you attempt to use her as such, I will notify the other Kings of your tampering and you will lose your claim to the throne. You've done enough damage, my darling." She stepped closer still, putting her hands on the bench. "Do what you want with me, but leave her and the child out of this."

The councilman James stood as well. "My King, I would only point out that-"

"Shut up, ye bloody skite, or I'll rip your tongue out." Eamon didn't even glance over in the councilman's direction as James sat back down in silence. The King continued, his eyes full of reverence. "You would return to my side, Amandine?"

Amandine closed her eyes. "My gift to you. For sparing my daughter's life, and that of the heir inside of her. But only on your word they will not be harmed."

Caitlin could only shake her head. Amandine detested the King with every fiber of her being, she knew that much from their time together.

Eamon dipped his head again, relinquishing with a great sigh. "You know I cannot deny you anything, luv. You have my word." His eyes never left Amandine's as he gave a curt order to the guards. "Escort the prince and his consort to their car. We are done here."

The guards, which had since dispersed at Amandine's commanding presence, reformed and marched them out the door and back into the antechamber. Only one of the guards, their initial escort, led them towards the upstairs.

"Wait," Caitlin protested. "I want to speak with her."

Kalen stiffened at her side, then glanced down, his eyes a piercing black. "It is in our best interest to get as far away from my father as possible, lest he changes his mind."

That was more than enough to shut her up.

They passed with great expediency through the mansion, and out, to the waiting limousine. Kalen's driver was idling in the veranda for them, and she wondered how he'd already heard of their departure. He was only human; there was no way he could have overheard. But the question wasn't the most pressing one as she was led into the vehicle.

Kalen did not join her this time, opting to sit with the driver. She wanted so badly to call him back, but understood his need to recover from his rage brought on by the King.

With the mortal danger passed, she lay on the seat and began to tremble, holding her arms to her chest to keep them from shaking violently. Caitlin closed her eyes and curled into herself, realizing, by the grace of Amandine's sacrifice, she was free from Eamon's clutches.

12