The Landlord Pt. 01

Story Info
Managing an apartment building for the community's benefit.
752 words
3.11
23.8k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I grew up as a member of a wealthy family in a mid-size town. Our family was a well-known name in the timber industry for many generations. Owned thousands of acres of forest lands. Logging operations as well as paper, lumber, and plywood mills. We were kings among men.

Back in the 1980s, my father saw the writing on the wall. Environmental concerns were driving profitability out of the industries that our family captained. Mills were sold off to mega-global corporations. Most of the lands were sold off to real estate developers. Logging operations were shut down and equipment was sold. I still don't know how much money was made but it was enough that a family trust was started and there was a shift to community activism philanthropy, and politics. He knew that our community that had been dependant on timber for so long needed to be led toward a new chapter and he wanted to help lead the way.

For myself, I graduated high school and went off to a prestigious college with only one guiding concept from my father: "Don't learn about how to be successful today. Learn about how to be successful tomorrow." With that in mind I finished college with an MBA and a strong interest in technology, computers, and a new thing that, at the time, we were calling the world-wide-web though sometimes we just called it the internet. I was one of "those guys" who saw the future. At a time when most people thought of the computers and the internet as something nerds did, we saw the potential. So I embarked on a lucrative career in the tech industry before we even called it that. I worked for and/or started just about every tech company at one point or another. Hardware, software, you name it. I worked for them all and was well compensated. By the time smartphones took over and phone apps became the focus of innovation I had accomplished everything I wanted to, had made more money than I could ever spend, and wanted to follow up in my father's footsteps. I left the bay area and returned to my hometown in the PNW.

Despite my father's best efforts the town as a shell of its prior self. No industries had ever replaced the all-mighty timber dollar. The mills were still there but no longer paying family wages. No one prospers here. They just struggle to exist. No one ever has a reason to move here. Just people who are too poor to leave. I've talked to the friends I still have in the tech industry. I know I can get them to move some operations here. To do so they need people they can hire, an infrastructure that will support them, and a local government that will offer the incentives they need to make the move.

A year ago I called for a meeting of the minds. Members of my family who are the caretakers of the family trust and who also happen to have positions of influence in the community. They are as follows:

Jan, Sister, The Mayor
Peter, Brother, Local District Attorney
Bobby, Cousin, Police Chief
Greg, Cousin, County Sherrif
Marsha, Cousin, City Planner
Cindy, Sister, City Council

During the meeting, we reviewed the status of the family trust and when I asked how it's being used to fulfill my Father's vision of rebuilding the community. No one had an answer. That's when I unveiled my plan. I told them that, with their permission, I will use my fortune and the family trust to buy land. Renovate and rebuild residential areas for people earning strong family wages in the tech industry. I'll also invest in commercial districts so that the tech companies will want to move here. "To pull this off I need your help. Jan and Cindy, I'll need you to work with the local government to get the tax incentives. Marsha, I'll need you to fast-track permits and zoning issues so we can build what needs to be built. Peter, Bobby, and Greg, I need you guys to focus on getting rid of drug addicts and the other criminal elements. Guys, We can do this. We can save this community. We can make this a beacon of prosperity and return our city to glory"

They all agreed. The cabal was formed. Of course, I didn't tell them about my personal motivation. My side project. Something I always wanted to do ever since I saw the movie Sliver.