The Last Lightning Bug of Summer

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They say getting old is not for the faint of heart, and I could see why. The periods of decline seem to come on all of a sudden and proceed at a hair-raising pace. Then you get to level out for a while as you adjust to your new reality, just long enough to let out a breath of relief and say, okay, I think I can handle this, right before the rollercoaster plunges into another sickening drop.

I don't know, I'm guessing, is all; but judging by the way Frank was choosing his steps across the yard, the last few years look to have been a freefall.

"Frank. How are you? Been a while since I saw you."

"Hi, Freddie. Doing good, considering."

"You looked like you were heading over to my place?"

"Yeah, yeah I was. Wanted to pass along some news and maybe ask a favor, if I could."

"Of course. What's up?"

"Well, it's been a tough year. Joan's not doing well. They gave her a diagnosis of Alzheimer's about eight months ago."

"God, Frank, that's--that's awful news. I'm very sorry to hear it. Is--"

"Thanks--"

"Is Joan, I mean, is she doing okay?"

"Well, it's been coming on for a while, you know, with hindsight you can see the signs, kind of connect the dots you hadn't noticed before. But ever since the diagnosis, for some reason, she's been heading downhill."

"Ah, that's just--awful. And she seems so young for something like that."

"She's sixty-eight next birthday. They say it's not that uncommon. It doesn't even qualify as 'early-onset,' which they tell me is a thing. That's anything under sixty-five, they say."

"Damn."

"Yeah, so anyway, I've kinda got my hands full right now. Not sure how long she'll be able to stay at home. We'll see how it goes. But the reason I came over, I wanted to ask you to keep an eye out, you know, just if you happen to be home. She's starting to wander, you know? Gets out of the house and can't find her way back. It's not too bad yet, like I say, but they sure as hell don't tell me it's gonna get any better. So--"

"I understand. And sure, I'll be on the lookout. But hey, if there's anything else I can do, you know, whatever you need, just let me know, okay? If you need something from the store, maybe. Or even if you just need a break to get out of the house yourself."

"I appreciate that, Freddie. We don't know each other so well, but you've been a good neighbor all these years."

"Hey, maybe that's why. You don't know me well enough to figure me for the asshole I really am."

"Ha. That's good. But no, I got a good feel for you, Freddie, and it's good to know you're willing to help."

"Of course."

"Okay then."

"Give my regards to Joan, okay? I wish you both well."

"I'll do that, Freddie. And thanks again."

"Take care, Frank."