All Comments on 'The Last of Her Kind Ch. 02'

by writerannabelle

Sort by:
  • 61 Comments
ender2k2kender2k2kover 4 years ago
Very interesting chapter

I was young at the time this story is set in. The only thing that felt off was the sheriff having a bottle of water in his car. I think that didn’t become common until much more recently. Love your writing and looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks.

SorchakSorchakover 4 years ago
I would be happy to help

with details of the 70s, but I was born at the tail end of 1973 (Quite literally. I was born an hour-and-a-half before midnight, New Year's Eve), so I have nothing to remember of 1974. Nor do I remember much of '75 and '76, if anything.

It would be nice if Ana somehow makes it to the House, but since she's not there with Mike now, it's not going to happen in this story, obviously. Patiently waiting on your next chapters for HfHM and this.

SmutolSmutolover 4 years ago
Afterthoughts

Must admit it did not go exactly as i hoped. We have here great start where both our heroes are pushed low by simple life. Huge potential for them both to climb up and see them struggle along the way. But then this bestial heat comes and takes all the choices away. She barely controls herself, in stead of push toward him she struggles to simply function. Not a fan of that must admit. I know its just a story but making it more believable would be a plus for me( more human like?). I hoped that these hunters and the danger they present along the subtle effects of the heat would be tasty combination to draw them together. But now this looks forced. I guess i hoped for more romance here.

jpz007ahrenjpz007ahrenover 4 years ago
Instincts

There are some good ones and some bad ones. To be fair to the Arachne, spiders do give plenty of people the heebie jeebies. So having instincts to turn a mate into a meal afterword makes a fair bit of sense. A human seems less likely to serve as a protector for your children as the extra food would, especially when your own body is far superior to a human. But like many things, the modern age turns lots of instincts on their tail by compelling us to act in ways that aren't as useful as they once were.

I wonder what the cute puppy has to say about Darren, and if we'll get to see the conversation. ^.^

Sad to think that atm... Darren might welcome it. Hope they are able to help heal each other. Looking forward to the next 5 chapters, as you put it. Feel free to take longer in telling the story if you want. ^.^ I won't hold it against you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
What a web you weave

This is definitely a different kind of story and a different tone than HFHM. I'm really enjoying it. The story seems more character driven and your writing skill really shines. You've really given good depth to the characters backstories.

I have to agree with another comment about the water bottle. they may be ubiquitous today but not so much in the 70s.

You're very good at writing action scenes and I did get the Spider-Man reference about witty banter while fighting the bad guys. (was wondering if you would do that)

Ana struggling with her instincts about mating and seeing humans as food is at turns sexy, dark, and altogether fascinating. Her instinct induced libido and how she deals with it may come off as a tease to some but I find it very sexy and she's clearly more than just her mating urges. I just hope she doesn't end up eating Darren, now Cyrus and Jeffery on the other hand...

The folding sword sounds like Sofia's maybe ?

The story seems to be moving in possibly a romantic direction and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. We know they don't end up at the house so I'm assuming Oregon unless they stay in town.

If you have any other side stories that you're working on or thinking of please feel free to write them.

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 4 years ago
Excellent!

I graduated high school in 1974, joined the Army in 1976, so feel free to use me. Retired after 26 years in the Army.

Intriguing, excellent story!

InkhornInkhornover 4 years ago
Love this kind of story

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out!

dwoelfledwoelfleover 4 years ago
A delicious tangle

Thoroughly enjoying this. Two wonderfully complex characters. Staying with this for sure.

Thank you

luedonluedonover 4 years ago
Worrying

When will come the big reveal to Darren, our potential saviour, and how will he cope? After the inevitable mating (this is, after all, an erotic story site) will her spidery instinct take over? Or will she be able to eat the enemies rather than her mate, and will they provide the right type of nutrition?

And, finally, after she does mate, what will the offspring look like? What will they do? How will she feed her babies?

Ah, Annabelle, so many questions that you raise with this story. It has complexities that your house full of "fuckable monster girls" doesn't.

I look forward to how you resolve these dilemmas.

Lue

Ps: But my goodness, you do write well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Loved hearing from good Auntie Em

As always great story, I can’t wait for more

gemman1gemman1over 4 years ago
Great Start

Annabelle, you are showing what a great writer you are. Fantastic story so far, keep up the good work. I lived through the 60's and 70's and so far you depictions are fine. Being a Vet (not of Vietnam), I can tell you that some of the anti war/anti Vet sentiment hung on until the late 70's. I remember seeing signs in peoples yards in Norfolk, VA, where I was stationed that said "Sailors and Dogs keep off the Grass". Now admittedly that could have been because Norfolk is a Navy town, but hey it still kinda hurt. We (active duty Military) also had interesting encounters in Airports if we had to travel while in Uniform. The attitudes more or less started to reverse after the US Embassy in Iran Crisis was resolved. But the wounds caused by our own countrymen and women were still raw for the Vietnam Vets. Just my thoughts.. keep up the good work, you are doing great!!!

Gemman

(also one of your Patreons)

shiboshiboover 4 years ago
Good work

I do love your stories, they are really good and entertaining..... Thank you for that

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 4 years ago
Great

Enjoyable and intriguing.

msnerdmsnerdover 4 years ago
Only 5?

So, a total of seven. Is that the same number as the Infinity Stone in the Marvel Universe? If not, it should be. Each of the chapters thus far are up to Stone standard.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Hooked, despite myself.

Okay, okay, I'm hooked. This type of story is not normally my kind of thing but I appreciate and are fully invested in the protagonists of this one.

NighttymstoriesNighttymstoriesover 4 years ago
What’s up with town?

This little town seems almost to perfect. The waitress is to efficient, a Sharif who is to nice to a Vietnam vet and a head Librarian almost to scary to be a librarian. I am just wondering if those “strays” weren’t actually animals but were beasts?

ArcTalyxArcTalyxover 4 years ago

Wow this story keeps getting better. The tension is so thick with the Order and biological need. A positively delicious read.

arrowglassarrowglassover 4 years ago
Cannot wait to read more!!!!

You are indeed talented. Have been a fan since I read the first Home for Horny Monsters!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Michael56Smith

I know you straightened out the Olive drab Fatigues vs Camo style with the black T-shirts (circa 1980's), with some of the Darren art for the light novel. Early in this chapter Darren goes out for a run in old army clothes that would not be available for over a decade (mid 80's). Remember, the army historically (at least during the 20th century) always prepared for the last war. Thus camo gear and steel plates in the soles of combat-boots came after the Vietnam needs for them, however desert gear in Mideastern war zones in the early nineties was pretty quick. (us state-side grunts had to keep making do with the camo/black T-shirts through to the later 1990's as much of the desert stuff went first to those deployed overseas. So, a white T shirt and plain old O.D. fatigue pants for early 1970's Veteran Darren. TTFN

RossamunderlingRossamunderlingover 4 years ago
protect the sexy spooder.

Yes that's right, always great with the build up. I'm eager to read chapter 3.

FieroGT1988FieroGT1988over 4 years ago
After a year in RVN and 8 months in other (un-named )parts of SEA

I can almost feel his pain. Sounds, and Smells are the major triggers for me, and I found your use of them almost too close to reality. Well Written. 5s

MollyB25MollyB25over 4 years ago
Good

Love the story

AvidReader47AvidReader47over 4 years ago
DAMMIT

You got me again! HFHM sucked me in just like this is doing. Thanks.

SuggestionSuggestionover 4 years ago
Good stuff

Well done, as we have come to expect from a (published!) author. I won't repeat the comments about camo from those more knowledgable than I. I will only add to it that water bottles were also not a thing back then. Plastic bottles, in general, were not available. Carrying water was usually a canteen or a thermos, sometimes in a rinsed out gallon milk jug (an exception to the plastic bottle rule, as I recall). Soda was equally likely, coming in 8 glass bottles of 16 oz each in a carton. Many states required that the sellers offer few cents refund for returning the bottles to the store.

Good writing. I look forward to more.

msavagewagmsavagewagover 4 years ago
Close to Home

Enjoying this story. I spent a few years in Vietnam 70-72. My memories are very different because I was in the ASA(Army Security Agency, we were called spooks,or ghosts)a communications spy sort of. But you're spot on for the way returning soldiers were treated!

DaddyTXDaddyTXover 4 years ago
Perfect Blend

Your storytelling skills are on full display for this chapter. I've seen comments about authenticity and making sure the subtle nuances are adhered to. To those I would say, let this be your indulgence. This is a story of an Arachne and a PTSD soldier. It is fiction and very well written in my humble opinion. Indulge, enjoy, and revel as we are carried through this wonderful tale.

On a side note to you dear author; I am reminded of the works of Kim Harrison, Anne Bishop, and others who also tread the waters of fantasy. To this I want to say your scope and skills are easily on par with them. Please continue your beautiful craft for today and many more to come. I am hooked on this rich world you are bringing to life in the theater of my mind.

Thank you for sharing HFHM and now this story as well. I shall wait until the next installment with much anticipation.

EmmeranEmmeranover 4 years ago
A detail that is out of era

Sheriff hands him a MC a water bottle - nobody had bottled water in the '70s. Would have either been a canteen of some sort or a water bag. Maybe even one of those half sized coleman water jugs that were really popular back then.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
On bottled water.

Bottled water has been sold in the US since 1767.

Lenny20Lenny20over 4 years ago

It was really cool to see Emily make and apperance outside of Mike's story. Although I wonder where in the HFHM timeline this falls exactly. I hope that will be answered sometimes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Bottled water...

Previous Anonymous: While bottled water has been around for centuries, pretty much nobody carried a plastic bottle of water with them in the early 1970s. Heck, single serve plastic bottles barely existed! I assumed the bottle in question was a thermos bottle or something similar that had been filled from a well or faucet.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Very nice story

Enjoying the story so far, interesting take on human magic use.

illwindillwindover 4 years ago

That was intense! Wasn't expecting a confrontation between Ana and the Order guys to come quite so soon. Though it does make it hard to justify her sticking around now. Honestly, she should have only gone home long enough to grab Emily's note and then get out of town.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A heartfelt 'Thank you!'

for providing some fun reading stuff for my old age. I always liked HfHM, but this one seems to come along as something else. So I'm eager to get to the next chapter(s). Thanks again!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Liking it so far

I'm enjoying this one! The portrayal of the male lead's PTSD is plausible, and both of the lead characters are likable -- always a plus.

I take issue with the bit about the grenade, though. A hand grenade has less than a 10-second fuse, and someone who has been trained to throw one knows to wait a bit before throwing so that the bomb goes off on impact or shortly after. IOW if the user knows what they're doing -- and any combat veteran would -- there isn't time to throw it back.

DivwayDivwayalmost 4 years ago
The drama builds

Love the link back to Emily. You have wonderful knack at making the complex characters also very vulnerable. The order sound a bit more sinister than the society in your other story Annabella. Again your story telling has me addicted.

GeminijinnGeminijinnalmost 4 years ago
Another Great Saga

@anonymous...liking it so far. Remember, friend, that this is a tale. A fantasy written for your enjoyment. The characters are able to do anything the author wishes them to do.

@Annabelle another amazing tale. A great story.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
Warming Up

Didn't quite expect the drama that soon so it's getting more interesting. Just wonder why she hasn't high tailed it out of town yet.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
love your story telling it's amazing

she used a stamp to get off?

so you could say she

"STAMPED OUT HER HORNYNESS

BY STAMPING HER PUSSY OVERDUE FOR AN ORGASM!"

;3

I'M SRY HE HE HE

JasonRTaylorJasonRTaylorover 3 years ago
Addicting!

Bed now, but this is really good.

I'm loving the details!

J

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I don't usually comment, but...

You have the rare talent for great storytelling. It would be a sin for me to read and enjoy your writing, without at least trying to encourage you. Thank you for the escape.. It's so nice to have during these times.

Quiet_WandererQuiet_Wandererover 3 years ago
Excellent

Your writing really connects. Many kudos 'Belle.

anewfananewfanover 3 years ago

Reading this as R.E.M's 'Everybody Hurts' plays in the background. Sorry about your time in Nam Darren. And the real Darrens.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Rule 34 rules!

t6greent6greenover 2 years ago

I hope we have some happiness.

shyspudshyspudover 2 years ago

its good, but if im honest nowhere near like your main monsters books which grasp you immediately plus, im waiting for the sex

Redneck_390Redneck_390almost 2 years ago

Really enjoying this!

Hearthfire223Hearthfire223over 1 year ago

Wicked development!

madcrimsonmadcrimsonover 1 year ago

I'm really curious about Cyrus and the Oracle

ET270ET270over 1 year ago

I'm enjoying the story line and it seems to be a bit of a prequel to hfhm. A small bit of advice would be to gather more information on a time-line you haven't experienced, the price of the meal was to high and the didn't have Single serve water bottles then. Truly enjoy your writing tho.

SilverPlatedSilverPlatedabout 1 year ago

I'm loving the slow slow reveal both characters are going through. Another element that's amazing is that you've humanized the order, making both of Ana's hunters feel more fleshed out than one demential obstacles. Thank you for sharing this, can't wait for more steamy fun!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Keep writing, please!

NutsterNutster12 months ago

Those body in the library don't know what they are missing. The Hardy Boys books and the Nancy Drew books mostly used the same set of authors, with each series using the same pseudonym for the authors.

Tomorrow, the Sheriff's department will start investigating the brush fires and rockfall after the fire department finds that evidence of human activity. "These ignition points on the trees were just too precise. The rock fall into the lake had a epicentre at one point at the top. It is consistent with explosives. You should check that out." Oh, boy are the guys from the Order going to be in trouble.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Ah!

The Urge at the library only someone that has been there knows how unstopable it is.

Details like this one and that warm moment in the kitchen meke of you the great writer you are.

Please don't stop writing, enjoy it and thak you so much for these delightful stories.

Procurator9Procurator99 months ago

I don't know if so ever gonna look at stamp the same way again 🤭

Procurator9Procurator99 months ago

At it conception the idea behind the Order was probably a good thing... but....

JodailyJodaily8 months ago

Five stars as usual. But I gotta say I think I may have misread the title. Mom always said I'd need glasses if I kept up my bad habits, and lo and behold, she was right. Still love my bad habit and all of your stories haven't slowed me down at all. Anyway,, I think I got sidetracked, I could swear the title of this was "The lust of her kind". 😂

yuk yuk. Fitting title I think.

As a!ways your stories are great! Thanks. And my optometrist thanks you too 😋😅.

The_Bob69The_Bob694 months ago

I really love your writing. Continuity gaff, in the 70's the Sherif would not have bottled water to give the sweaty jogger.😅

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I love your writing. I started with HFHM then read Dead and Horny. Now, I'm reading Last of Her Kind. All keep me captivated from start to finish. You could change M16A1 to just M16. Soldiers would say M sixteen with no reference to the last part as A1.

mrlurkmrlurk4 months ago

Really liked the action in this shows off Ana's cunning. Good tension.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwriterannabelle@writerannabelle
Get a free ebook from me! www.annabellehawthorne.com/signup Talk to Lily-bot at https://bit.ly/4aj1nSf Buy my books at https://wetleafpress.com or https://annabellehawthorne.com/books Chapter 115 of HFHM is scheduled w/e April 26th Chapter 116 of HFHM scheduled w/e May 11...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES