The Last Shapeshifter Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Trevor had been to this city once when he was younger, and knew it had a subway system. It's how his family had gotten around, since his father had refused to drive in it. Trevor understood why now. It was madness. First chance he got, he exited the main thoroughfare, and stopped at a place to grab lunch. From a waitress, he found the closest subway entrance, and asked where he could leave his car. She told him of a place close by that charged by the day or hour. He thanked her and gave her a generous tip when he left.

At the subway terminal, he studied the map, and tried to correlate it to the place where he thought the thread was leading him. He took his best guess, and then hopped on the appropriate train downtown. At every stop he paid attention to the size of the thread. It was much larger now. He knew he was close. And with that knowledge, dread began to seize him.

It was one thing to want answers. It was another thing to pay a terrible price for them. Trevor felt a little more compassion for his mother just then. She might have hid her whole life, but she had also stayed alive for centuries. The self doubt he had faced many times over the last few months all seemed to rush back a thousand fold. He didn't have to do this. He could go back. No one was looking for him. He could just resume his normal life...but there was no such thing. Understanding this helped him step past the subway doors. He exited up some concrete stairs, and took in his surroundings.

It was mid afternoon. Trevor was glad he had left his car as he noticed the early beginnings of rush hour. He closed his eyes and saw the thread in his mind. The person had to be within a thousand yards or so. Maybe that person knew he was already there. He suddenly felt like he had a target on his back. He tried to shove his paranoia down. His quarry almost certainly didn't know he was there. It was his plan to find his target, observe, and eventually confront, hopefully in the most public place imaginable. This would make pinpointing the exact person tricky, but it would be safer.

There were swarms of people everywhere going about their day. Some were running errands, leaving work, walking dogs, all just going about normal lives. None of the people jumped out as if to say, look at me, I'm an evil archvillain type hellbent on your destruction. He followed the thread, being careful to weave in and out of the throngs. He wondered if it was just this time of day, or if this many people were always out and about.

He had walked almost a city block, when he saw the thread would lead him into a hotel. That wouldn't do. He didn't want to get caught waiting in a lobby. He wanted to observe first, and from afar. Would his target come out soon, or had they turned in for the day? It seemed reasonable they'd come out to get something to eat. Would they order room service? Did they even eat? There were so many unknowns, and he really didn't like the prospect of lengthy surveillance again. That hadn't gone so well the last time, even with friends to help.

Across the street from the hotel was a cafe that had outdoor seating. It seemed like a good place to start. He bought a paper from a street vendor so he could seem otherwise engaged, then crossed the street and got a table. If his target came out of that hotel in the next few hours, he'd have a front row seat. If no one came by then, he'd find another hotel, one that was as close as he dared.

His waitress came appeared. She was a pretty young thing, petite with short black hair. Her personality made her shine though. She either loved her job or was a very good actress. "Hello, sir, my name's Georgia and I'll be your waitress. Can I get you started with anything to drink?"

"Just a coffee for now."

"Are we waiting on someone..." she followed his gaze as it stuck like glue to the hotel entrance.

"Sort of, but, no, not really."

After he didn't elaborate, Georgia said, "I'll have it right out to you." And she did. And she refilled that coffee more than a few times. A couple of those times she thought maybe he was sleeping. He was sitting upright with his eyes closed. He had instantly responded to her presence though. Maybe he was meditating. She'd seen all kinds though in this city. Nothing surprised her anymore.

Trevor had to consciously remind himself to look around every once in a while, and read his newspaper. It was hard for him to tear away from the thread in his mind's eye. There were two other threads close by. They had been on his map, but they didn't glow, and seemed far enough away not to matter. But as time passed, he noticed one of those threads getting larger, meaning it was coming his way. Fear and doubt made one more assault on his psyche. He wondered if he was already found out somehow. Either through bravery or idiocy, he stubbornly kept his seat, and waited.

Around the time the person attached to the copper thread would be coming into view, he saw that the gold thread was on the move. He shoved the fear down. He'd run if he had to, but he wanted a visual, on both if he could. His eyes darted in the direction of each thread, first in his mind, then with his eyes. There were still so many people around.

Trevor saw the person attached to the gold thread first. It was a man. A rather ordinary man at that. He didn't sparkle, or have fangs. He wasn't bad looking, but he wasn't a model either, he was just, a guy. Trevor did not expect the disappointment that he felt. It was like when the supervillain gets revealed and they are not at all special or imposing. He let the emotion pass and reminded himself that just because the man didn't have two heads, didn't mean he wasn't a monster. That possibility increased as he saw that the man was crossing the street, and then coming into the outdoor dining area Trevor sat in.

Trevor was prepared to bolt or make a scene, but calmed slightly as the man spoke to the hostess. It looked like he was just coming here to eat. He wasn't here for Trevor, or, that's what Trevor kept telling himself while he gripped the newspaper tighter. But that's when he saw the owner of the copper thread. It was a mousy woman with glasses and auburn hair. She was walking towards the man with the gold thread, and he gave her some sort of greeting. It wasn't the type of greeting old friends would do, but one that was more akin to first introductions. The hostess led them both to a table just three away from his own. It was close, but the noise of the city would make overhearing anything impossible. That was fine. He was good with only watching.

By the time their appetizer arrived, the disappointment was back. Georgia was serving their table as well, and everything had been boring. Trevor tried to measure his expectations. His imagination had predicted two otherworldly goblins holding court, but in reality it was only two normal looking people enjoying a meal together. Maybe he was being stupid. Maybe all of his mother's lore about people to watch out for was based on a misunderstanding. Maybe he should go over and introduce himself and try to clear everything up. Maybe that was the stupidest idea he'd had yet, but he still considered it, right up until the entrees arrived.

Georgia expertly carried two steaming dishes that Trevor assumed was fish. She began to say something, probably if there was anything else they needed, but then the man reached out and touched her hand. He didn't do it in a creepy way, more of as a way of getting her attention. But Trevor watched perplexed as Georgia's body began to shudder. It lasted for a second, maybe two, and Trevor might have missed it if he hadn't been paying attention. But it had happened, and it reminded him of a memory he had once seen that belonged to another.

He didn't have time to mull that over though, because Georgia was talking again. She gestured to the man, and he stood up. She took his seat, and proceeded to talk to the woman as if she were continuing the conversation. The woman seemed to be doubting whatever Georgia was saying. She laughed at first, but then frowned. Georgia just smiled and nodded, then touched the man's arm. It was the man's turn to shudder. His whole body shook from head to toe for just a moment, then he began talking, and gestured to Georgia that he'd like his seat back. Georgia stood up, listened to one more thing the man said, and then walked away.

Trevor decided to risk calling attention to himself, and as Georgia passed close by, he said as loud as he dared, "Miss?" She kept walking as if she didn't hear, and he took another shot. "Refill please?"

She stopped and looked at him. Well, that wasn't quite right. It was more like she looked through him, as if he wasn't there at all. Her eyes were glassy and unfocused. She slowly came over to him, and loudly, Trevor repeated,, "Refill? Whenever you get a chance."

"Okay," Georgia answered serenely, like she were in a dream.

In a much quieter tone, Trevor asked her, "What did they say to you over there?"

She still didn't meet his gaze, but looked through him as she said, "Over where?"

"Uh, nothing, never mind."

She returned a few minutes later with his coffee, but Trevor would not even register her presence this time. He had gone back to watching the other table. The man and woman seemed to go from talking casually, to arguing, then the woman stood up as if to leave. The man stood as well, as if to bid her farewell. But instead of a formal goodbye, he touched her shoulder as she passed. Trevor watched the woman shudder. This time, when he saw the shudder begin, he closed his eyes and watched the threads. The golden one passed from the man, and laid atop the copper thread of the woman. Trevor wondered if this was how gold threads got made?

When he opened his eyes, he saw that the woman had sat back down. She started talking to the man. He had that same glazed over look that Georgia had earlier. The man took his seat, and then they both just sat there for a moment. Trevor thought all of this very strange. Then his blood ran cold as the woman looked right at him. Her eyes drilled into him, and he watched as she frowned, then looked away as if Trevor was of no interest to her at all. She continued to act odd though, as she reached behind her back and unfastened her bra. Trevor couldn't even pretend to look away as she reached underneath her shirt and extracted it. She placed it on the table, then touched the man's hand, which caused that familiar shudder.

Trevor checked the threads, and both were back in their original hosts. When he opened his eyes, the man had extracted something from his pocket. He fiddled with it for a few seconds, then looked right at Trevor again, who was too confounded to pretend to not be watching them. The man frowned, shook the thing he was holding, then put it back in his pocket. After that, he looked away and just watched the woman, for what, Trevor did not know.

After a couple of minutes, the woman seemed to begin talking very fast and asking questions, probably about why her bra was on the table. The man motioned for her to lower her voice, which she did. The man took out a card and offered it to her. She hesitated briefly, then took it. Shortly thereafter, she got up and left.

As Trevor watched the woman exit, Georgia returned to Trevor's table. "If you were waiting for someone, I think you've been stood up. You want some pie or something?"

"No, I... I'm good," he muttered, as his eyes fixated on the man again.

Georgia didn't say anything else, but headed over to the man's table to give him his check. She put the ticket down. She was talking, but the man acted like he didn't hear her as his eyes met Trevor's. Georgia was silenced as the man touched her arm, and a shudder went through her. The waitress turned on her heels and began marching back towards Trevor. Fear lit through him as he closed his eyes and saw that the gold thread resided in her now. He opened them in time to see her give him a big smile, then take the chair opposite him.

"So, what's your story?" She said it sweetly, casually, but there was a dark presence that hid behind her smile.

Trevor had to remind himself how speaking worked. "Um, what do you mean?"

"I mean, you were looking over at that table where that man was sitting. You looked at him an awful lot. You might have thought you were being conspicuous, but you weren't. So, what's up? They owe you money or something?"

"No. I...I just like to people watch."

Georgia leaned forward in her chair and gave Trevor a hard look. Then she asked a question, but it was not delivered in her high, chipper octave. It was a lower, deeper voice, that of a man, and it was cold and harsh as it passed from her lips. "Nevyn? Is that you?"

Trevor blinked, and began scootching his chair back from the table. "What is happening right now? Am I supposed to know who that is?"

Georgia's face lit up with anger. "Do not play games with me? It's you. It's got to be." Her eyes narrowed. "How are you blocking the signal?"

Trevor didn't say anything in return. His heart was pounding. He was trying to put the pieces together, but nothing made sense.

Georgia continued. "It doesn't matter. We can put a stop to this dance once and for all." Her hand lunged for him.

Trevor kicked with his feet and the top of the chair flipped backwards, but Trevor was ready for it. He landed on his feet, and ran. Behind him, he heard Georgia give chase.

Trevor sprinted like a frightened animal, but one that had to be constantly aware of their surroundings. A wrong touch could halt him in his tracks and make him vulnerable in more ways than one. He had done a good job so far in the city of making no physical contact, but he had been taking his time then. Now he was darting between and around people and having some very close calls. At least his legs were longer than Georgia's. He just hoped she wasn't a good runner.

His plan was to get back to the subway, to get to his car, and maybe just hide for the rest of his life. Clearly this guy, or Georgia now, saw him as some kind of threat, or thought he was someone he wasn't. It didn't matter. The intent against him was not good, especially if... the possibility that came to him defied reason, but it was the only thing that made sense. This person could hop into other people's bodies. It was crazy. But probably no crazier than him being a shapeshifter.

He was approaching the one busy intersection he'd have to cross before the subway entrance. There were people there waiting at the crosswalk, forming a tight, huddled mass. He took a chance, finding a gap in the middle to squeeze through, and he felt his hand brush skin. He didn't feel any change, but all he might be numb to everything except the blood pumping in his ears as he stepped into the busy street. He got two steps and almost got hit by a car. It honked its horn as it came to an abrupt halt. The occupant began to roll down the window to say some colorful remarks, but Trevor kept moving, having one more close call before he got to the other side. He looked at his hand. Nothing was there. His luck had held up.

He chanced a look across the street. A tall man that wasn't Georgia was also attempting to run across. That man did not have Trevor's luck, and got clipped by a car. The vehicle had braked as it saw the reckless pedestrian, but not in time, and the man smashed into the windshield.

Trevor couldn't help but gawk at the accident, and almost forgot to see if Georgia was still pursuing him. The driver of the car, a middle aged woman, got out of the car and asked if the man sticking to her windshield was okay. She touched his arm, and a moment later, the woman began to shudder. Then she made eye contact with Trevor.

Trevor closed his eyes for an instant. The gold thread was in that woman. He opened them and resumed running towards the subway steps. There was no doubt now. This person didn't shapeshift like Trevor did, but could possess people. How did you fight against someone like that? You didn't. You ran. You hid. His mother and all the rest of them before him had been right. He had to get away before it was too late.

He flew down the concrete steps. He had purchased a card for the subway. He stopped running but still walked briskly as he tried to fish the card from his jeans. He briefly wondered how his molecules could reform themselves and clothing could dissolve and reappear, but he still had trouble taking stuff out of his pockets.

Trevor's shoulders slumped as he saw the line for the turnstiles. Why were there so many damn people! He looked back towards the stairs. The middle aged woman was coming down them quickly. He felt the card and pulled it out, then pushed through the line. A few people began to protest, and he noticed that a security guard saw the disturbance he was creating. Then he felt skin on skin contact again. Panic arose as he felt his skin ripple. Desire flared in him, but fear kept it at bay.

A train was arriving. It didn't matter where it was going, he had to be on it. He'd find a horny person on board and let them douse the fire growing inside with a flame of their own. It wasn't a great plan, but it was something. He was through the turnstile.

The security guard was there, holding a hand for him to stop. "What do you think you're doing pushing past all those people?"

"Sorry, family emergency!" Trevor lied. The security guard said something Trevor didn't hear as he glanced back, looking for the woman. He didn't see her, but he saw something else. One by one, people in the line were shuddering. It happened so fast. It was like a wave coming towards him he couldn't escape. He watched as it caught up to the person behind him. Trevor pushed past the security guard. The guard received a touch of his own seconds after and began to shudder himself.

Trevor saw open subway doors directly ahead. He could do it. He could get through. But no. He shouldn't. He needed to go back. Someone back there needed him. Well, not him, but who they wanted him to become. He could be whoever they needed. Trevor realized he was walking now, and the brief lead he had narrowed considerably. The doors were closing and the guard was just a few yards behind.

With a burst of speed, Trevor threw himself through the doors. They snapped shut behind him. Trevor grinned stupidly at the security guard.

The security guard grinned back, then grabbed the walkie talkie that was fastened to his hip. He pressed the talk button and said, "Possible security issue in train B, going to need you to open the doors."

Trevor thought for a fleeting moment that the train was going to begin moving. Then to his horror, the doors reopened, and the security guard stepped inside. He'd lost. This was it. This was where it all ended. The desire to please surged in him though and dulled the panic he should feel. His reason abandoned him, and he tried to walk past the security guard. A strong arm ground him to the spot, and the doors slid shut again with them both inside.

At the sign of a potential altercation, people had made space in their car, but everyone was looking at them. The security guard announced loudly, "For the safety of everyone here, I'm going to need all of you to exit to the car closest to you. Now!"

At this command, people quickly began leaving. A few tried to stick around, but one fierce look from the guard, and they followed suit.

Trevor tried to wiggle free. But the man held him fast. "Please sir," he protested. It didn't sound like him though. His voice was much higher. He could feel his body changing. He hoped know one saw or understood what was happening as breasts began to form on his chest. He had to stop fighting it though. If he continued to fight it, he'd lose his free will.

The guard's eyes widened as he found he was now gripping the arm of a beautiful young woman. "Uh...what just... How?"