The Lawyer and the Killer Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course," replied Susan.

"There's the Commandment, 'Thou Shalt Not Kill.' Actually the real interpretation is 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Murder.' Shawn has killed people for his country, but he's actually murdered no one."

"What about all those people the FBI told me about?"

"I don't know what the FBI's been saying. Shawn has killed this many people." He held up one finger. "No more."

"What about those young women, and that family with all the children, and those card dealers?"

Sam sat back, "My, my, they have filled your head with nonsense. He killed one man who was posing as a dealer. There were two young women someone sent him out to kill. They're both still alive, and from what I've heard doing well. Both are waiting for the chance to tell their families they're all right. The stuff about a family, or other card dealers? It sounds like somebody's either got their facts wrong, or was trying to scare you."

"Shawn told me he was a hired assassin." Susan was genuinely confused.

"He is. He works for my government agency. Is he a syndicate killer? They think he is, but like I said, he's got only one notch working for them."

Then Shawn, my Shawn isn't this dangerous killer on the loose."

"Oh, no I didn't say that! He's a very dangerous man. He's a killer. He just doesn't work for people in any syndicates. They think he does, or did, but he works, or worked, for me."

Susan had lost all patience, "Come on. Tell me who he is."

"OK. First, he's a man who's in love with you, and I can see why. Second, he's a government employee who used to be a CID agent. He doesn't do that anymore, not after today. He also has worked for various UN agencies. Right now that's where he's supposed to be headed.

Susan was disturbed. She was expecting a call from Shawn sometime later that night, "Is that all?"

"No that's not all, if that was all I wouldn't have come here. Here's the rest, or at least the rest of what I can tell you." Sam got out of his seat and walked over to the sofa, "I know you love him. I know, after I finish what I've got to say I'll know I can count on you."

Susan sat very still. The only sound between them was the sound of her daughter suckling.

"Shawn is in great danger. Greater danger than he's ever been in before. The people who thought they used him to kill you know who he is, what he looks like, and where he travels now. He has no cover, and they intend to kill him. If you'll pardon the use of a hackneyed phrase, he's a sitting duck."

"You said he was going to New York, to the UN. Won't that be the end of him?"

Sam saw she was scared, "That's the best place for him. He'll be in the public eye. It'll be harder to kill him. Don't forget, my guess is a couple countries, the least of which is the Sudan, will want to keep him safe. If he were killed, people might look at them. New York, the UN, that's the best place for him."

"I'm going to New York!" Susan had made up her mind.

Sam put a hand on hers, "No you can't. You have another job."

"He's going to need me. I'm going to New York."

Sam squeezed her hand. He hated to do this, "No you're staying here, and going to work for me."

"For you!" Susan was incredulous.

"Listen to me. The man who most wants your Shawn, our Shawn dead, is the one man who has the most to lose if he remains alive. That man will be contacting you, if he hasn't already." He paused for effect, "You are listening."

"Yes. But I'm not working for you."

Sam was doing his best, but it looked like he was going to have to tell her more than he'd planned, "The man who wants Shawn so dead is the same man who thought he was using him to kill the people who really aren't dead. The two young women I mentioned are connected to syndicate higher ups. Higher ups who have no idea what happened to the girls. The only man, other than me, who knows who and where they are, happens to be Shawn McClellan.

If Shawn is dead the bigger boys will never know one of their own arranged the deaths of two of their own people. But here's the rub, another man has found out the girls are alive. You see, why he wants Shawn dead? It's not that he didn't kill you; it's because he didn't kill them."

Susan shifted Shawna to her other arm, "Go on."

"Now our dangerous syndicate boss is close to finding out where the two girls are. The deal for him is simple, get rid of Shawn, the two girls, and go on."

"What has that got to do with me, and wouldn't it be better just to relocate the girls and find a safe place for Shawn and I?" asked Susan.

"No we want the main man, and that's where you come in."

"Me where?"

"The main villain is Oscar Camulos!"

"Oscar Camulos! That can't be. He's a prominent citizen. I know for a fact he's the man who found the $400,000.00 that got me free." Susan was convinced someone was pulling something on her.

Sam exclaimed, "No Susan. Shawn raised the money. Oscar Camulos is man who got the $400,000.00! Camulos is the man we're after!"

"No, no. Todd told me!"

Sam stopped her, "Todd Bitterman is one of Camulos's stooges. He's being paid to get you to work for Camulos. Why exactly I don't know. You don't have any special legal skills he could use. You're only value to Camulos is as bait, the same value that led to your second kidnapping."

Susan started to speak.

"Yes we know about that. Don't forget Shawn works, or worked, for us." He held up a hand before she could speak, "That goes to my first statement, "You said you loved Shawn."

"Yes."

"Then you must be the bait, but not for his trap, for ours. Camulos wants an inside track with the inner forces of the syndicate he's involved with. Thus far he's only been sort of a dispatcher for murder. He wants to get inside where the real power is. We want him inside too, but we want someone to go inside with him. That person is you!"

"Me!" Responded Susan.

Sam laid out the frightening details, "Camulos, or probably Bitterman, is going to contact you. We're sure of it. They want you for some reasons we understand, and for other reasons no one can fathom. What I want you to do is cooperate with him. Get inside, gain his trust, his confidence, then when he gets what he wants with the bigger ones, we get them all through you."

Susan thought it over, "So I join Oscar Camulos as your spy. I keep you informed, and when the time is ripe we trap them all."

Sam sat back, "Right!"

"What about Shawn and me?

Sam sat there looking at her. She was a beautiful girl, and that was a beautiful baby in her arms. He could see the three of them together, her and the baby and Shawn. They'd make a perfect family, a happy family. He knew it would fulfill most of Shawn's personal fantasies, probably a lot of hers too. Yes, under normal circumstances, in a normal world, they'd be on their way to a happily ever after, "You have to tell him good bye."

"No."

"Let me explain."

She wasn't listening. "I won't do it. I can't I'm not going to do it. He and I love each other. I've been through too God Damn much bullshit for this! He's my man! He's going to be my husband." She was yelling, and every time she said my man, my husband, there was special emphasis on the word my.

Sam tried to stop her, "Wait a minute."

"No I won't wait a minute! Your wait a minute! I'm not waiting one single second! Not one fucking second! Hear me! Not one F.U.C.K.I.N.G. second! There I've spelled it out for you. Is that clear enough? He's mine!" She pointed to the little girl, who'd started crying, "She's mine! They belong to me!"

Sam was in way over his head and he knew it, "Just wait a minute." She wasn't listening, he could tell, "Wait a minute!"

She looked at him. She calmed down a little, not much, but just a little, "We'll run away. You'll never find us."

"You don't have to run away. I said say good bye. But not forever!

She stopped perseverating. "OK what then?"

"You two need to stay apart for a while. Just until we get this thing worked through. We can't have you two together. It would be too easy for Camulos. You two stay apart for a while, just a while until we nail the real culprits. Once we get that done, why the two of you will be safe, free, home clear! Shawn will start his new job, a new safe, boring, uncomplicated bureaucrats job pushing papers, stapling packages, watching the clock, and waiting for the time when he can get home to his wife and kids." He watched her for some response. He thought he was starting to get through.

"You're talking about something temporary."

"Only till we get this done."

"Then we can get on with our lives?"

"I'll attend every Christening, bring presents every Christmas. Maybe you'll let my wife and I be God Parents?"

Susan broke down. She started to cry, "Mr. Houston, Sam, I love him so. I want him so much. She was shaking all over."

He knew now he had her, "Susan what you'll be doing will be very difficult. Your life will be in great danger. Not just from possible exposure, but from Camulos generally. He's a psychotic. We don't know what he's capable of. You'll have to be on guard all the time. You'll have to careful about everything you say, everything you do, even every nonverbal act. You don't have to do it."

"Will it save Shawn?"

"I believe so."

"Will we be allowed to live our lives afterward?"

"Absolutely."

"Then it's a no brainer. What am I supposed to do?"

Warrant Officer Houston had just finished the most difficult part of his job, "Do nothing. Just wait. Somebody will call. Probably Bitterman. When he calls that will start the ball rolling." He looked at her one last time, "When it starts you'll be the one person we can't protect."

"And Shawn?'

"Well Shawn is Shawn; he is what he is. We'll have him under constant surveillance. But you must break the news to him. Keep him at arms length after you do. We don't want him sneaking back to see you. That will be his death and very likely yours too. Understand?"

She was still sobbing, "Yes."

Warrant Office Sam Houston got up.

Susan got up.

They walked to her apartment door together. He turned around and kissed her on the cheek, "It will be tough sledding for a while, but this time, when it's over it'll really be over."

Susan had nothing to say to the man, "Good afternoon Mr. Houston." She closed the door, while he descended the steps.

At 7:00 sharp that same evening Susan got a phone call, "Susan, this is Shawn."

"Shawn, where can we meet?"

"Anywhere you want. Bring Shawna with you."

"Let's meet downtown at the Galleria." Susan was

thinking they shouldn't try to get together that

night there was too much to do with Shawna.

"When?"

Susan responded, "How about tomorrow, say 11:00?"

Shawn answered, "We'll meet in the dining area. I'll get a room."

They both hung up at the same time, but neither

knew why the other had closed the conversation

so fast. In fact they both independently sensed

someone might be listening in. Shawn didn't know it for sure, but he correctly guessed Sam had her

phone wired. Susan didn't know who, she was just

being extra careful.

The next morning both were at the Galleria early.

So was an unidentified CID agent, but the couple

had no idea who or where he or she was located.

Shawn came in and watched as he saw Susan enter from the elevators. She looked lovelier than ever wearing a pale green cashmere V-necked sweater over a vividly white long sleeved silk blouse. It looked like a slightly ruffled peter pan collar unbuttoned at the top.

She had on very dark green slacks, and high heels, an overlarge purse of one shoulder and very large something that looked like a big shopping bag hanging off the back of a baby carriage. She was wearing glasses. He thought she always looked extra sexy when she wore glasses; sexy and smart.

Her hair was in its typical French braid. It looked like she had something in it, maybe some ribbon. He noted it was green, the same color as her sweater, and it seemed to curl around and hang loosely beside and little below the braid. He thought that was one woman who knew how to dress.

He watched her as she crossed through the crowded floor. He watched other men as they watched her. He bet they were wondering who the lucky guy was who belonged to her. He would have thought 'the woman who belonged to the man once' but not anymore. She owned him. Boy did she own him, and was he ever happy about it; slave for life and glad of it, even proud of it.

Shawn made his way across his half of the eatery. She espied him as he moved forward. She wanted to wave but hesitated. She watched him as he lithely worked his way through the tables. She laughed to herself, not real long on looks but he made up for it in personality.'

She laughed to herself, 'he might not be Johnny Depp or George Clooney, but he walked on water as far as she was concerned. Besides,' she thought,' who would want all that garnish and grease when they could have real steak?'

They met in the middle of the tables. He picked up her scent, that wonderful aroma that was distinctly her. He didn't know what kind of perfume it was, if it was perfume, but if he did he'd buy a thousand shares in the company.

She was smiling, talk about a face launching a thousand ships; she was Helen of Troy, Aphrodite, and Lily Langtry all rolled into one. What a beautiful face!

They closed in and gave each other a peck on the lips. She thought, yeah still wearing Old Spice, and still as rugged as ever. My kind of man.

He asked, "Do you want to get something to eat, or go upstairs and order in?"

She responded, "Did you get a room?"

"Of course." Was his answer.

"Let's go upstairs. I want to be alone with you. And, yes, I want Shawna to be alone with her Daddy too."

He looked down into the baby carriage. There she was. His daughter. His baby. The great wonder that he and this woman created together, "Can I hold her?"

"She's yours, I don't know why not."

Shawn leaned down and picked up his daughter, "She's beautiful. Can I carry her upstairs?"

Susan suppressed a happy giggle, "I don't know why not?"

They got on one of the elevators. He hit the button for the sixth floor, "How Is she getting along with Tom?"

"Tom's scared of her. I thought there might be a problem at first. I heard how cats like to get in baby's faces and lick the milk. He hasn't done anything. He avoids her. When I put her on a blanky on the floor, he runs into another room."

Shawn was cooing at his daughter, not seeming to be paying much attention to what Susan was saying. He turned around and winked, "Good then Tom will get along well with the puppy we're going to get."

Susan's eyes widened, "Puppy?"

"My little girl's going to need a puppy." He got real close and wriggled his nose on Shawna's.

"I'm glad you let me in on it. What kind of dog did you have in mind?"

Shawn grinned at Susan, "Any kind you want as long as it's a yellow lab."

Susan laughed, "Good, I was afraid you'd want to get a big dog."

Shawn answered, "Labs are big dogs."

Susan laughed openly, "I know that."

The two of them leaned over and kissed right there in the elevator. The elevator door opened, and Shawn stepped out first. He bowed and proffered his free hand, "My lady?"

Together they walked down the hall to the room Shawn had acquired. He opened the door for her, but she hung back, "What's the matter?"

She smiled coyly, walked over and put her arms around his shoulders, "You're holding our baby."

"Why yes I guess I am."

She reached up and kissed him, "And I'm holding you."

He smiled, "Yes I guess you are."

She kept smiling, but pulled him closer, "So tell me Shawn McClellan. Who is kidnapping who today?"

Holding the baby, being held by Susan, standing awkwardly at the door, "Susan Slattery I want to tell you this is not a kidnapping. This is a rescue. If I didn't have you," he looked down at their baby, "and little Shawna here there wouldn't be a reason for me to even get out of bed. All I want is right here. This isn't a kidnapping. This is a rescue."

"I love you Shawn McClellan."

"I love you Susan Slattery."

They went inside together. Shawn put their baby back down in the carriage and turned again to the great light of his life. Unfettered by convention, by fear, or by the immediate constraints of time they embraced again.

He wrapped his arms around the woman he loved. He snuggled his face in her neck and in her hair. He loved her smell, the way she felt, her warmth, her soft texture, the exquisite shape of her shoulders, her ears, her temples.

He pressed a kiss against the side of her face, not a wet messy kiss, not a hard rocky kiss, a hungry forceful kiss. He took his right hand and cupped the left side of her head against his face. He couldn't get enough of her.

Yes he wanted the sex. Yes he was starved for the heat and the pressure of her firm woman's body the inner recesses of her feminine being, but he wanted hold her as much as anything, to cherish her, feel her face against his, her breasts pressing against his chest, to feel her arms wrapped around his shoulders. He kept saying over and over and over again, "Oh I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you so much!"

Susan was as desperate as he was. She'd had their child. She'd been holding the proof of the beauty of their existence in her arms for weeks. She wanted to share Shawna, but she wanted him too, just him.

She wanted him just this way; wrapped in her arms, entwined with her flesh, pressing against her body. She wanted to rub her hands up and down his strong arms, press her hands along his chest, to squeeze his firm backside. She wanted to touch, to hold, to kiss, and enjoy his manhood. All this she had been dreaming about, telling her darling baby about, whispering about in her nightly prayers. Now he was here. In her arms.

Nothing would tear them apart, at least not today. Tomorrow would come soon enough. They had today, tonight. Tomorrow there would be a reckoning. Tomorrow's morning sun was her enemy.

Tomorrow she had to begin her last and most desperate labor; a labor that would dwarf the pain of Shawna's birth, for tomorrow she'd have to push Shawn away, away for a short time, long enough to face their common foe and defeat him.

Because she loved this man she'd have to hurt him a little. But in hurting him a little she'd be able to save him, really rescue him. She'd secure him, and her, from the clutches of the evil one whose lackey had called that afternoon. But they still had today, now, this minute, this time, "Shawn I love you. I love you so much. Make love to me. Help me today. I want to make Shawna's first little brother or little sister. I want to do it now."

He lifted her precious body in his arms and carried her to the bed. He laid her on the coverlet. He whispered in her ear, "With you I'm everything, without you, nothing."

They lay down together. It was their time.

------------

No it's not over. We couldn't possibly leave them now. But we need to step away for a moment. Next

time we'll play the voyeur. Next time we'll see how they grapple with the dangers ahead.

Please don't hesitate to contact me. Any and all comments and suggestions are most welcome.

12