All Comments on 'The Lazy Lemon Sun Ch. 01'

by Rehnquist

Sort by:
  • 189 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Good to have you back!

And up to your usual storytelling par excellence. Emotions engaged... Check. On tenterhooks... Check. And for all those about to say all the lawyering smacks of DQS, I say so what? A good read is a good read. I look forward to the rest of this story.

thefranzthefranzover 12 years ago
Get on the rollercoaster

Oh well, the king of matrimonial distress has done it again. Great characters, an intense setting and masterful storytelling. As always I'm looking forward to watch the heartbreak unfold. Thank you for your effort.

Lord_GroLord_Groover 12 years ago

I've never thought the "husband runs away" trope was particularly unrealistic. Flight as opposed to violence is probably a better choice, to give just one example. Better to run, I should think, than to put your hands around her cheating neck and just start squeezing... ...after all, we're talking about a person who is suffering from extreme emotional distress. There's a <i>reason</i> we talk about the "fight-or-flight response."

Still, after one installment, it looks like your usual competent work. I'll be interested to see where it winds up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
omg!!!

i h8 sounding like a 16 year old grl, but omg!!! very, very intriguing!!! i can't wait 4 d nxt chptr.... u get betr in evry outing.... like my other favourite writer, sirthopas....

Lewy123Lewy123over 12 years ago
You seem to have done it again

This is very good so far. Only problem is your sex scenes are boring, I actually skip through them..

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great story

Great story so far as usual from you. You need to spice up the sex scenes tho, I mean its hardly erotic is it?

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 12 years ago
Well you have painted a very compeling picture so far....

And I am looking forward to the next installment. Politics does make for some very strange bedfellows. Great job.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
I couldn't stop.

By page three, I was moaning that I had only gotten this far in the story and knew I didn't have the second part to continue.

I'm pretty good at foretelling where a story goes, but I'm not totally sure on this one.

The only critique I can muster is that as a member of the Bar, you probably have a higher tolerance for the judicial aspects then many readers. I enjoyed that section as well, being a fan of legal dramas. But for some, it may have dragged it down a bit. It DID add verisimilitude to the story.

And thank you for brightening my day by seeing another Rehnquist story is coming out.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
Hmm. Sex.

Oh...yeah...this is an erotica site.

I also fast forwarded through the sex scene, but not for any lack of skill in your writing. It is a sideline of the story. Tab C goes into Slut V. Read it before.

This is a personal quirk. But I do know you go an understated route with your sex scenes. Works for me! My imagination can supply any additional details.

BriteaseBriteaseover 12 years ago
What can I say?

I'm going to have to cut short my holiday to make sure I don't risk missing the next chapter! Great start.

zed0zed0over 12 years ago
Oh Boy!

I'm on nins and peedles! I can hardly wait for Ch. #2

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
Hooked Like A Trout! (( with a few reservations))

reservation no.1 - if your going to set this in Mississipi & Tenessee , please x 3 don't have ALL the characters speaking the King's English. One doesn't have to ape Faulkner where little clods of loam would cluster in crack of pages after some soliloquy from Pap' or Jed. I wanna hear at least one peanut oil fried euphemism from someun' fore this here story is out!

reservation no.2- would anybody let their dog run the streets , all hours of the night and day then feed the animal and let the beast use your residence as way station for next unaccounted for foray? Well that's what he's letting his so-called wife do. A woman isn't a dog , obviously .

But when you give a woman a ring & your name - she OWES you enough to pick up the Damm phone when you call. This piece of work can't even be troubled to lie . Its HIS fault because he let's her slide and just practices his Eric Clapton riffs until she comes home .

This guy may not be a wimp but by God , he's doing a first rate imitation! He didn't deserve to play a Taylor Guitar with that tude'. I'd snatch it from him and give him a spinet to tinkle sad minor key arpeggios away on till wifey graces him with her presence

Why am I ranting? Because I care. I care because I have gotten sucked into this story by the authors skill just as sure as Jeff Buckley did when he decided to do a couple laps on Old Man River.

Damm! It sucks to be caught in a trap.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 12 years ago
Setting a story up is the easiest part

of writing. Setting it up this well is not so easy. We all know that when we see the name Rehnquist on a story, it will be top shelf stuff and this is. I do think chapters should have their own category as they should be judged differently than complete stories, or not judged at all until the ending. Mark my word, this since this story is already posted and the Judge cannot change the course of history, or this story. In a few years, our hero will be down fishing below St. Louis and pull in a big old catfish. As he cleans the fish he will find his wedding ring and realize his true love still waits. Believe it or not!

LazylonerLazylonerover 12 years ago
Good start

I like this opening, it gives just enough information to tease about what is to come. I definitely am looking forward to part 2 tomorrow.

I should mention that I never agreed with Cloacas argument that the "husband runs away" plot line didn't make sense. You yourself pointed out a bit about how the legal system works in divorce and when you stop for a moment you might realize that a man facing that decision in an emotionally charged situation might choose to flee rather than to fight.

After all most people feel that Divorce courts favor the woman, so few men figure they are going to get a fair shake in court. I know for instance in California its not uncommon for a man in a divorce with kids to wind up getting to take home only one third of his income after alimony, child support and having to pay to keep the home for the kids until they are 18 and it can be sold. And that's with no guarantee that his ex-wife will allow him to see the kids regularly. I had one friend who had to fight with his ex just for visitation until he got a tape recording of her planning to entrap him into a crime in an effort to increase the child support. It was only after that that he received primary custody.

So the "husband runs away" isn't necessarily unrealistic, especially with the younger generation which is far more willing to throw away a bad situation and start over. Just get invovled in any online RPG like World of Warcraft for a while and you'll find dozens of 20-somethings who have little to no loyalty to the characters and guilds that they might have spent months building up. If they feel the situation demands it, they can and will drop it in a heartbeat and move on. For them, fighting to save something is far too much work.

dangerouslydeaddangerouslydeadover 12 years ago
Most Amazing Start

This is one of the best series story on the site in some time. Powerful, carefully worded, and with just enough background. I'm Lovin' it.

Fighting41Fighting41over 12 years ago
Just like that

And just like that I'm hooked on this story.

Cant wait to see how it will turn out

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Do like the start...

But somehow I sense a John D. MacDonald homage coming on...

Green-something

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusover 12 years ago
Cynical

No indication of time lines here. But then cynical political crap never gets old I suppose. Good writing!

curioussscuriousssover 12 years ago
Outstanding start

I do love this author’s work

The characters are real, fleshed out just sufficiently for story purpose. This is a very good description of a politically arranged marriage, a fact known to all but the groom; except that he really did know, yet chose to ignore all the coincidences and his own disquiet. The narrative exposed his minimally articulated reservations of all the other main players and their motives, yet he went ahead anyway, acquiescing tacitly to his possible future downfall and hoping for a life jacket.

The downside to such a skillful build-up is that I have known the story’s rough outline and direction from the first twenty-four paragraphs.

The upside is I await the figurative execution from the edge of my seat.

I’m hooked – damn this is great fiction. It’s a change from the ‘Grant City’ theater but just as well plotted and presented. This has the potential to replace one of Rehnquist’s other stories as my favorite.

bigguy323bigguy323over 12 years ago
They say that "Love is blind". In this story that is absolutely true.

All the signs are there, he's just too blind to see.

The story reads like another masterpiece.

huedogghuedoggover 12 years ago
Fuck that another BS. Start, I'm fucking tired of the husband doing his part and being fucked over

Another fuck the husband store, why can't the husband fuck the wife with our being a pussy

cw159cw159over 12 years ago
You got me.

I remember from college one of my English Comp professors talking about "setting the hook" in the first paragraph of a paper. If we think of part 1 here as the first paragraph, then you have definitely "set the hook."

Great description of the Southern politicians making me think of Huey Long and Herman Talmedge. But then aren't most politicians from south of the Mason-Dixon line in literature based on Huey Long? And the two mothers remind me of the old joke about the two flowers of Southern womanhood sitting on the veranda drinking iced tea.

All in all, another "I can't wait for the next installment" Rehnquist story.

Oh, by the way, I agree with others that the husband takes off is not that far fetched. Someone mentioned a friend divorced under California law. Robert Heinlein once described being a divorced male under California law as "similar to being an Alabama field hand shortly after the Civil War."

CW

dinkymacdinkymacover 12 years ago
Super

story!!!!!!!!!!!

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 12 years ago
First rate,

Wow - the first couple of paragraphs almost knocked my socks off! Maybe not Faulkner or Thomas Wolfe (thank goodness) - but close to Robert Penn Warren in the description of the 'lazy, lemon sun.' Rehnquist is putting the 'Lit' in Literotica.

Hard to wait for Chapter 2., and I'm already sad at the notion that this very likable character is going to be dragged through hell.

BTW - I disagree with Cloaca. I think that abandoning one's family is just about one of the cruelest things that one can do - so 'running away' is not a trivial way of dealing with an errant wife. In the era before 60-day divorces, it is surprising how many times men simply pulled up stakes and took off, leaving the wife to take care of the children, the house, explaining things to her family, etc. Indeed (lol!) I have a partially written story about that subject myself, so I'd better defend the concept!

Looking forward to the rest of the story; hope that it all remains at this level of quality.

StangStar06StangStar06over 12 years ago
Okay, how is anyone supposed to compete with this?

I think this is probably the best story on this site since that damp gray thing that I've been rereading lately. Ecellent job as usual. I really wished that you'd put it out all at once. I'm terrible at waiting to open my presents.SS06

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

I think that leaving, the wife coming home to an empty house, is a powerful and effective statement. Having a husband take his personal things and leaves behind all the the mememtos and photos of their time together is a scene that words cannot describe.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
just...............WOW!

incredible opening...as alot of people have already stated, I was totally drawn in form the opening paragraph. Can't wait to see where this goes. Oh, and as a life-long resident of The Great State of Tennessee, this pretty much hits right at home...Bravo!

NucleusNucleusover 12 years ago
Expressis verbis

Great opening. As Harddaysknight says: "We all know that when we see the name Rehnquist on a story, it will be top shelf stuff and this is."

There is nothing to add. I am sure I will enjoy the following chapters just as this one.

Thank you for really good entertainment.

katibkatibover 12 years ago
Superb

A really professional job. Great use of dialogue. But I noticed that you southern gentlemen are beginning to blur the distinction between the verb "lend" and the noun "loan." Can't wait for the next section!

angiquesophieangiquesophieover 12 years ago
i guess i'll have to...

...start writing in dutch and put my stories in europe to even get close to this. but then again, who would read it and understand? damn...

tastesgreattastesgreatover 12 years ago
As Always...

You ARE the best!!! Can't wait for the remaining chapters.

RHinSCRHinSCover 12 years ago
Good

It seems strange to me that he is saying he is sorry to a woman who has been missing in action for three months. A woman who will not give her whereabouts. I will read to see who slams into the bridge first.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great Writing

This first chapter is superb. Your eye for detail and foreshadowing builds suspense and a desire for more. Bravo!

You mentioned the drafts from different points of view. Could you pick a portion of the story and publish each of the views (versions) of that portion as you labored on your way to satisfaction?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Fantastic Start

As always a great read!

Mousse9Mousse9over 12 years ago

Strange, I both look forward to, and dread, what is going to happen. Maybe it's because I can get so into a story, and the characters, that I as well, get upset (mainly in empathy with the main character, the husband, and since this is his POV, even more). It's gonna be a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

And seriously? Being gone herself for 3 of the 5 months, it's the pot calling the kettle black. And not just gone for work or anything, but not available AT ALL. And ofcourse, it's always the husband apologizing. When she apologizes, he interrupts her, saying to forget it. Pavlov, everybody. Train someone (like, a husband) to say sorry every time, and even when he's in the right, he still has to say it. Train someone (like, a wife) to NOT have to say sorry after being wrong, well...she'll think it's OK.

Just look at any old romantic comedy Hollywood movie. The sexism virtually explodes from the screen. Go watch Hitch for example, or that other movie where a guy vows not to have any sex at all, and everybody tries to make him break that vow (it was so bad, I forgot the name of that movie).

With all the premonition going on in this story, I smell a rat. And it stinks. Can't wait for the next part.

rainbow001rainbow001over 12 years ago
Nice Start

Just the right amount of background IMO. Thank you for sharing.

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 12 years ago
just an idea.

On thethe problem stated at thethe start, how about not starting at the end of the tale. There are a lot of great stories and books written in the first person that do not give away any details ecept as they happened. We don't have NEED to know that there is trouble in paradise. You can reveal exposition in bits and pieces if you want.

killerwhale681killerwhale681over 12 years ago
A sense of impending disaster?

Well, get ready for it.....all the clues point to a major implosion.....and he's already been measured for the altar of political expedience. No, really, he'll fit just fine on the on he's gonna get framed with.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Just a "me too"

A great start to what I am sure will be a great story.

SKHPSKHPover 12 years ago
You got me hooked

Outstanding story. I can't wait for the continuation!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
No surprises!

It's your wonderful story- telling at it's best. As soon as I saw your name, I thought, great, another emotion filled tale to look forward. Please, don't make us wait too long before the next episode.

CW_addicted_readerCW_addicted_readerover 12 years ago
Welcome back... Rehnquist

Another great beginning to a great story. I have a feeling that the next Chapter will bring the story and your reader to a new height. Could not wait to have chapter 2 online tonight. You are unbelievable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great start

I really enjoy the premise, and am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Excellent work!

kelchakelchaover 12 years ago
Too Damned Short

Came to the end and I just about screamed in frustration. Was so into the story and the end of this section just was there. Really Judge, post future stories in one piece. At my age I am in heart attack country and can't take a lot of frustration.

Loved the story. Wife is true to her family but perhaps not to her husband. Dynasty building requires giving up a lot and it appears she has done so. For her, he is a pale second best compared to brother - at least for now as we see her. Husband is innocent dummy who didn't pick up on clues as to family plans. That said, I really liked the character and I know you are going to do right by him cause you believe in justice. Right?

Don't agree that running away is overdone. In real life people do it all the time. It's called desertion, or depression, or suicide, or murder. Sometimes one just has to get away from the other by any means. When you are just a ball of pain you sometimes do bad or stupid things.

brujaybrujayover 12 years ago
Wow...........Great Start and a Cliffhanger!

Thank you for again raising the literary standards of LITEROTICA.

This is the best………the absolute best! We are all looking forward to the next installment.

Huma412Huma412over 12 years ago
Awesome

Great story, great read. Never expect anything less from you. Thanks for the outstanding effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Flight or Fight?

<p>It looks like we're off on another great story!

<p>Flight isn't a bad option when the choices in the sort term come down to flight or murder. Thirty years ago with my first wife, I chose flight over homicide. I found a woman who is my partner, friend and lover. I have a couple of great kids. I sometimes shudder at how close I came to giving that all up for a momentary satisfaction getting violent revenge on a woman who didn't want me and wasn't worth a cup of warm piss.

<p>The really amusing thing was she moved in with her lover. The two of them, both of whom could find faith, trust and fidelity defined in the dictionary, proved to be a worthy punishment for each other.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
ITS NOT ALWAYS THE 1ST WIN

that counts the most or tells the whole truth. TK U MLJ LV NV PS THIS HAS THE MAKINGS OF A FIRST CLASS NOVEL.

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
Hindsight2020

I understand what you are saying. However, this catagory is 'Loving Wives'. So how exactly is is a shock that maybe the wife fucks around at some point? We know the destination already; all we are doing it enjoying the ride as we get there.

I tell a lie. There ARE times when I am surprised by a loving wife story: when the wife or husband DOESN'T cheat! I recall a story where the wife went off to Chicago to work and ruined her health and marriage but never cheated. It was misplaced and the surprise wasn't pleasant (though the story was well written)

So there is only so much surprise you can pull in this catagory.

mikothebabymikothebabyover 12 years ago
ok so here is my opinion

Minus the few errors in comma use and all.... I refuse to fall all over this story just because the great Rehnquist penned it as many of the other commentors have. We already know the bitch cheated so why draw it out for another 3 chapters? The cat is out of the bag so to speak, so now I have to ask myself, do I want to invest all of the time in reading 3 more installments to learn that he left her as he should? I actually think not. She is a cheater and he told us in the first few paragraphs that the man runs away - so why bother with the rest. It kind of spoiled it for me with being given the ending before I even got the beginning. But that is just my humble opinion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
three words

I am hooked

netviper21netviper21over 12 years ago
Glad to see you back!

It was a very interesting first chapter, and with all this dark lurking makes me think that was the real reason for the hard sell on this story. So many turns, how in the world could they all be real! I do wonder though if you were going to make it see like the brother hadn't actually died but saw the writing on the wall and got out of dodge!

chytownchytownover 12 years ago
Good Read!!!!!!!

Nice and steady and entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 12 years ago
Terrific first chapter. . .

Really enjoying this so far. Very well written. It's an amazing compliment to read that other excellent writers feel Rehnquist outdoes their own stories . . . I do think that Hubby is a bit wimpy, maybe because he feels as though he does not really deserve Sandy, his wife -- she is so pretty, and his brother was the tall, confident one, so he is second place. Thus, he does not stand up to her or really confront her. What did she think the work hours would be for a young lawyer at a prestigious law firm, just starting out? Were I the lawyer, I would have hired a detective to find out what Sandy was up to, especially when she did not come home during normal hours, and when she would not answer her cell. I think we'll learn soon enough that Sandy, like a lot of other very pretty women, needs constant stroking and attention, and if she doesn't get it from hubby, she goes looking for it elsewhere.

jasonnhjasonnhover 12 years ago
Great start

Of course there's a lot of unexplained issues and we'll just have to see how they play out. I like Mark because he's quirky. He comes from a powerful and privileged family but is only peripherally interested in it all. Sandy is a bit odd. It's hard to figure out how sincere she really is. There always seems to be something playing out in the background.

And it's Sandy's behavior that bothers me the most. Sandy is a part of a political family. She knows how power works and the demands it puts on people. Her husband is a lawyer and that can be a demanding profession.

So why does she pitch a hissy fit when his job demands a lot of his time? She doesn't seem that shallow. She also seems very willing to support a high visibility, high demand lifestyle. I'm not staying that some women wouldn't be understanding of career demands but Sandy is very comfortable in this environment. Her attitude makes no sense. This may all be explained later, I hope so.

It's a really engaging read.

greowulfgreowulfover 12 years ago
I probably don't comment as I should

But this first installment got me hooked. For me, the engagement in these stories is the conflict in the characters, and how they may react to the different situations. This comment was promted by Miko (I love what you've done for Stang's stories, and I thing the editor bashing has been over-the-top). I would prefer a 12 page story, but respect the Author's choice here. If the Judge wants us to digest, I will. In contrast to many multi-chapter stories lately, I don't think much here was superfluous.

I also don't think the opening kills the story. Many other authors start in the middle, and I predict here that the "Tossing of the Ring" is not the end. I could be wrong, but the complexity of the characters lends itself to many possible endings. A few authors here have surprised me lately, and I hope to be kept guessing. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Running away is not always running in a straight line.

Regardless, I am along for the ride. Thanks, Rhenquist.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzover 12 years ago
Welcome back

As you told me earlier this summer, "you were working long and hard and did not have the time you wanted to properly write a story."

Glad to see you have time again, hope the story flows quickly

I like what you have written so far. People are saying why bother to read the rest as you have already 'telegraphed' the final conclusion in the beginning. Having read many of your stories I tend to doubt that you did.

I am waiting for more.

Did you give any more thought to writing a story based on the joke I sent you? I would love to see it.

PTBzzzz

Scarecrow51Scarecrow51over 12 years ago
I do not not like it at all

How can he be a lawyer and still be as dump as a box of rocks. He is being use by Daddy and Mommy and the in-laws and his cuckolding wife and even his bosses are useing him. When they are done they will all just throw him away and then he will run and hide like the dumb shit that he is. Wake up people this is an insalt on all males.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I wonder how?

I love reading your stories. Will you stay true to form and include Whitney Patterson in this....

CharlesintallyCharlesintallyover 12 years ago

I liked it, but it felt like a sham relationship from the very beginning... "And there's no way this arrangement would ever work." calling the beginning of the relationship an arrangement would have sent up red flags, not to mention the way the parents were pushing them together, using them, and the such, it doesn't seem to be the way a rebellious son, who was set to go against his father about his job, would have acted. Other than that, it is the beginning of a very good story line, setting it up, wondering who, and where, and what she was up to while he was doing his job. I cant wait to see what happens next.

GimletEdgeGimletEdgeover 12 years ago
To Scarecrow51

The story is not as insalting to males as your spelling is to everyone regardless of gender.

Stop insalting us, hear?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

You've left a number of gaps with her to be filled, notably during the months of him being focused elsewhere. He's on a limb, and the ways and number of people to saw it off are many. Hopefully he has no children and the property settlement is divide the furniture, split the proceeds from sale, shielded from the harm and walk away to a happier life.

bdoggriffenbdoggriffenover 12 years ago
great start!!!

Can't wait for tomorrow! Wow!

MacdaKnightMacdaKnightover 12 years ago
Great Beginning

Great Start. Really nice cliffhanger, you left holes in the story to filled in later. I can't wait to find out what she was doing all that time she was away and what comes next.

ChagrinedChagrinedover 12 years ago
Riveting! Simply Riveting!

He did it again! I love Rehnquist's stories! This is the way this should be written! Das whut ahm tawlkin' 'bout!

I do have one question counselor: Did you read Travis McGee as a youngster? When I first saw your title, I immediately thought of The Dreadful Lemon Sky. :))

Can't wait for the next chapter!

Very Best Regards

C

juanviejojuanviejoover 12 years ago
It's great to see real quality once in a while!

Once, long ago, having been called upon to present a sermon in church, I had to follow behind two very inept speakers, who had nearly lulled the congregation to sleep. Despite the challenge before me, I gave it the best I had to offer. After the service had concluded, an elderly visiting clergyman walked up to me and softly said, just loud enough for me to hear: "Thank you for adding a little dignity to this meeting."

I guess that is sort of how I feel, when I see such a fine story as this is, which is fairly typical of your work, presented here among so many other efforts of far less quality. I just simply want to say, THANK YOU FOR ADDING A LITTLE DIGNITY TO THIS SITE!

Scarecrow51Scarecrow51over 12 years ago
Ha Ha Ha Ha

Don't you just love it!!!!!!!!!

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
He's baaack

Excellent as always. Looking forward to the next chapter, even though I think I am not going to like the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great writing!

Really enjoying this. But I think people are being a bit hard on Sandy at this point. I mean what happened to innocent untill proven guilty? I think she does love him but there is much more to this than we realize.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
TOO

YOU KNOW, Your stories are TOO LONG, Get to the point and leave out the total fucking BULL SHIT. Maybe you should write a fuck, smut book that nobody will buy---GIVE US A BREAK LIMP HAND--MAYBE you should WACK your cock more.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 12 years ago
LEGALLY this story has some problems

I dont get it.

Really I dont... focusing JUST on the LEGAL aspect of this story it is clear from the author's writing that there was a lot of extra evidence outsoie of the confession.

PAGE 3

....Next, the Supreme Court reversed the appellate court and found the confession was, in fact, inadmissible. However, they continued, no grounds existed to overturn the conviction because *****there was ample alternative evidence to convict.****

the fact that the confession may be been faked and forced doesnt mean he is Innocent.

Yeah sure he should be release because the Police really fucked up.

I have No problem with that. But that is NOT what the author writes... The tainted confession does not prove that Bonaroo is innocent.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 12 years ago
about the STORY it self-- Sandy's behavior hard to explain

the writing is fabuolous and the dialog superb inb every way. I have saidthis before and I will say it again

NO one here captures real conservation better than Rehnquist. No one.

Its just makes the whole story a JOY to read. You can see and feel your self in the room...perhaps as the husband.

Wth regard to the story SANDY coming from a very powerful political family cannot be this childish because he has to work late hours.

Her reaction when he came home was OBVIOUS. She was STUNNED to find out that he was REALLY owking ona freeing and INNOCENT man.

It never occurred to Sandy that he might be doing just that.

Even worse how can she be this ANGRY for 3 months???

How could she never talk to him at work -- for 3 months?

or at home ???

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Anonymous (TOO)

Go down to the local convenience store and buy a skin mag. Look at the pictures and whack off. Leave a written story with an acutal plot to people with IQs above room temperature.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 12 years ago
A great storyline

Very believable story and characters, along with being a very good and interesting read.

The author has set the stage for whatever trouble is in store for the young attorney, and anticipation for the next chapter is strong.

Five stars all the way through.

thanks for the good read.

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiover 12 years ago
Sounds right, y'hea!

Getting the southern style in characters is a lot more than throwing in a yall, or even the plural, all yall. When I left the cities of the Northeast to go to college in Texas back in 1961 I began an education process in a whole 'nuther species of Americana and Southern style. I think the Chief Justice has caught the style perfectly and built his characters with a subtle slow drawl that is clearly distinct and apart from the midwestern farm twang his Illinois characters exhibit in other stories. That shows serious skills to my way of thinking.

This looks like it is the start of another first class story and I am looking forward to the rest of it.

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
One word

Brilliant

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years ago
Looking for the next installment

Aside from the apparently important aspect of "suthun" nuisances (thays jus ah buncha 'ol singing hillbillies), I found the story to be very well written and decidedly realistic.

I look forward to your next installment with much anticipation.

Pardon the crack about Tennesseans, it was a poor attempt at humor, as those folks are some of the kindest and most likeable people I've ever met --even if they are hillbillies.

ohioohioover 12 years ago
Just great writing

Nothing more to say that hasn't been said better already. Hooray for His Honor! On to the next chapter!

Thanks,

ohio

xtremeddxtremeddover 12 years ago
Wow! A written stage as a story unfolds.

R,

Gripping but holding on with a small hope Sandy and Mark' love is strong enough. What little there is or not for their marriage to survive.

Great writing R. Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

sunlover813sunlover813over 12 years ago
The Best

Your writing is fantastic. I love how you use charaters and places from previous stories. Your stories feel real with real emotions. Please keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
So far, this is as real as it gets.

I was born and raised in Alabama. I am not quite 60.This story is as familiar as the back of my hand.I was literaly sweating when the judge ruled.I felt like I was living it. You are the best! Thanks.

movermoverover 12 years ago
Great......again

Just reread this after Chapter 3. Suspicions confirmed. None better, thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
No confrontation or questions

His case is over, he tells his wife that he wants to spend time with her and has the next 3 days off. She doesn't say anything, she leaves and doesn't come home for the weekend. He does not know where she is. When she returns she tells him nothing and he takes it! How is this possible? He should have had it out with her or if he doesn't care what she is doing, he should have left her and got a divorce.

I don't see how having the younger brother marry the dead brother's fiance is good politics. Its kind of creepy and incestuous. My comments notwithstanding, you know how to bring the reader in and wanting more. Bravo! 5 stars!

juanwildonejuanwildoneover 12 years ago
You had me at "bourbon"

Nice job Chief. I have to add my 2 cents to the clamor of many of my fellow Literoticians;

IT'S ABOUT TIME & well done

I like the pace you're setting. This isn't a sprint to a "happy ending" you're in this for the long haul (oh damn you already said that.)

Ah Hell...where's the Maker's Mark?

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
Beautifully Wrought

It is wonderful to find such a story on the site. My only problems are: 1) I do not agree with Cloacas especially if the timeline is in the eighties; 2)the initial observations of the author should have been made after letting the cat escape... ; 3)These people will never be understandable, who would prefer a bourbon over a Gentleman Jack.

Thanks Rehnquist for your hard and wonderful work. Having had a heart attack on Saturday, I find a lovely present on the site today...

GualterioGualterioover 12 years ago
Excellently written

My my ... the descriptions, the dialogue, bits of humor ... this is really really good. I haven't read the other chapters yet and can hardly wait.

count2threecount2threeover 12 years ago
Nicely written.

I must say I am not sure at this point how this will play out, because I have some problems at the moment accepting him as the fall guy in this story. I mean: He just selfishly sacrificed his mariage for his job; and thats just such a stupid thing to do, with the bill due to be presented to him. But ok, he is still young and the young have the tendency to take things for granted that the older and wiser know to be most rare and most precious in this world.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Interesting and Addictive

Loved the humor, the character developments, and story line.

I am looking forward to the next chapter and those following. You have a gift for telling a story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great Start

been gone for a month. nice to have a new Rehnquist story to read.

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 12 years ago
Beautiful

I knew better than to comment before reading 2nd time, or the last chapter. Now I can sympathize with Sandy easier. A bit like Mark, I was clueless as to why she got so mad and left for 3-5 months and an affair. Like any good story teller, you did a great job leading Mark and Sandy back together even after you got me sidetracked with Rebecca.

Bravo

Gus AsparGus Asparover 12 years ago
Great story

What a great story. This promises much, I think,and I look forward to reading it all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
WOW !

not much good about wrtting comments. I can only say THIS IS GOOD! 5* I would give this more If there any more to give

. thanks for a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
like a true story

it really represent a good character but absence of romance and sex is quite not digestible after all the story is in LOVING WIVES column //

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 12 years ago
Re- reading this

So I know what is coming and I still want it to be different -

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Arrangement

For a lawyer to be. Not vey smart. Just read this installment and already wary of the use of the term arrangement to describe their relationship.

fevermanfevermanover 11 years ago
Wonderful piiece of work.

Simply put, this a wonderful bit of storytelling. It as fine a piece of writing as I've read in a long, long while, beautifully written and thoroughly enjoyable. The story conveys the ups and downs of Mark's and Sandy's life together with enviable writing skill. As a fellow writer, my hat goes off to you. This is top notch. You have every reason to be extremely proud.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
great story

a truly great story.I read your bio and have enjoyed your tales.I see that you havent written in over a year on this site.I hope you come back to us.you are probably making money writing and selling books.I cant blame you for that.I hope that life treats you well. ron from the U.S.A.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Excellent Beginning

Great tale so far. If I read this correctly, it's only going to get better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
2 **s

probably the best yet

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
take the time

First of all, I rather liked the first part. Although, I wish you would still allow him time to be the next Stevie Ray or, since you are a Chicagoan, John Mayer. I'm not sure here if he was aware and didn't want to knowor was blind to the fact that his wife was surely stepping out on him. You are so much more forgiving than me, but then again, it's your story. But bending over and spreading for 5 months, while he busts his ass, earns her my boot up her ass. Screw the governor, and his family, but most of all jettison the blonde slut. Once again though, I like this one alot. Just don't fuck him over too bad.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous