The Legend of Bo Keap

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As long as it takes, I suppose. I'd like to be around when the law finally brings Bo Keap to justice. Does he ever come into town?"

"I've never seen him so I wouldn't know. But I kind of doubt he would. Do you have a plan to smoke him out?"

"Not really ... not yet anyway. I still need to get myself acquainted with the way things work here. What can you tell me about the local law -- are they up to catching Bo?"

"So far they don't seem to have much of a plan. Bo doesn't rob locals in town. And they say that he only robs the rich -- some even say he gives what he steals to poor people. But it's all gossip and rumors, so who knows?"

"You'd be surprised at how accurate a lot of rumors turn out to be. As a newspaper man, rumors are like the smell of a home-cooked meal."

Charlotte giggles at his wit, "You're such a relief to be around Henry. We don't get that many educated men in here. So, what got you going on Bo Keap?" With a practiced skill learned too young in life, Scarlett snares Henry and looks forward to the coming game.

"Well, as you can imagine, being with a big news outfit like the Kansas City Daily Gazette -- here, take my card so you won't forget me. But, we get news from all around the country. When my boss kept seeing these reports about Bo Keap come across the wire, he asked me to come out here and see what's really going on. And now, after a grueling trip, I'm here. I doubt it'll take long to get the facts I need."

"Oh, that must be such an interesting job -- and you get paid to do it. Do you have any leads yet?"

"Well, yes and no. The local newspaper owner and I have talked. He seems to think there's more than one crook in Cripple Creek -- those elected to make sure the laws are followed to be candid. Have you heard anyone talk about that?"

"Oh, heavens yes. It seems to be pretty common knowledge that the big mining companies -- I think they call them conglomerates. It could just be local grumbling, but it get's talked around a lot that the big ones are eating up the small miners. I don't understand all of it -- I bet you could figure it out though. You want another beer -- or there's also some wine available?"

"Lets have a glass of wine together Charlotte. You choose your favorite."

As Charlotte goes to get the wine, Henry looks around the saloon smug with himself and muses; ' I'm finally here ... it's everything and more than I imagined. This could be my big break. If I can get in with the sheriff and the power-brokers ... that's where the real information is. I wonder if I should get a horse and try to be there with them when they catch Mr. Bo Keap. That would be wonderful -- first hand reporting ... maybe even write a book.'

Charlotte's voice brings Henry back to reality. "Here's your wine Mr. Armstrong. I hope you like it, it's my favorite -- you're such a gentleman."

"Oh, it's nothing dear -- and do; just call me Henry."

"Thank you Henry, that is much nicer and more intimate. Now, where were we?"

"Yes, it is easy to forget such things as outlaws and robber barons. But I think you had mentioned that there are some of the bigger companies working behind the scenes to swallow up the small independent miners. And already I have heard some talk of Bo Keap being some kind of do-gooder and gives money and such to those in need."

"Oh yes. As you can imagine, I mostly just hear the grumbling of the men who patronize the Lucky Strike. But then there's been a couple of articles in the local newspaper about small miners getting roughed up and suddenly pulling stakes. And then there are some who proclaim Bo as a hero. But for actual first hand information, I'm afraid that's not something I would know."

"Charlotte, to a newsman like me, these kind of rumors are just like the smoke that warns of a fire. Between you and me, I wasn't even aware of this other big story until I got here. You're the second person that's mentioned it now. I may have a bigger job here than I imagined. Mr. Keap's story sounds very similar to that novel about Robin Hood and his gang of merry men -- taking from the rich and giving to poor and such. It was published about ten years ago -- and Howard Pyle wrote it, as I recall. Have you read it?"

"No, we don't always get the latest of anything out here. Mostly it's just the necessities and such. But it sounds like a good story. Just be careful Henry, this isn't a story book out here. From what I've heard, some of these rich men don't even live here. They have hired help -- and some of that hired help are the ones that bully and threaten the small guys. If you want, I could maybe introduce you to some of the smaller miners and they could tell you more. Now please don't use my name in the paper, but from what I've heard, the big operators are much worse than a small timer like Bo Keap. And this is something I've heard too; The city officials are in on it all the way up to the mayor."

"My goodness! I had no idea of the depth of the corruption and lawlessness. Speaking of that book about Robin Hood gives me the idea of maybe writing my own novel once this all gets settled."

"For the sake of all the hardworking decent men and their families I hope you can expose the real crooks. If I ever hear of anything that might help you with Bo Keap, I'll be sure to let you know... and you should maybe tell me what you hear too, so I can listen around to what others say. Then I could let you know if its good information or rumor. Is there a place where you can be contacted, Henry?"

"Yes, yes -- certainly. I have a room over Archer's Dry Goods. It's just up the street, I'm sure you know it. And I will most surely run the rumors I hear by you. Good idea, local knowledge, and all."

"Oh, of course, I know Archer's. Do I ask at the store for you?"

"No, there is a stairway leading up to the rooms. I'm in number four. Lucky for me it just came available and overlooks the main street. Please feel free to come by -- come by at any hour if you have urgent news. May I ask a personal question?"

"Of course ... I may choose to not answer it if it's too personal though."

"Oh no, no -- it's nothing like that. I was just wondering if you have any free time ... time where we might visit outside of the Lucky Strike. Maybe a dinner together on occasion to keep in touch?"

"Of course Henry. Lou isn't a slave driver. To be honest, I'd love to spend more time away from here. I'd consider it an honor."

"Well, then I'm glad I asked. You have been a surprise and a delight Charlotte. It's time I get back to my room and get some notes written down. You have been most helpful -- I think I need you as a local guide to help me get to the bottom of all of this crime."

"I'll be happy to help you do that Henry. I can talk to Lou and see what she hears too. Goodnight, and good luck on shining a light on the darkness here."

Henry and Charlotte stand up at the same time and Charlotte steps close and kisses Henry on his cheek. "I'm glad you came to Cripple Creek Henry. I hope you can bring some good luck to some of those who have been pushed down. If you have time, I'd be happy to show you around some of the camps around here."

"I would love that. Let me know when you have the time to do that."...'She's so close now. Her fragrance intoxicates me more than the wine. Her eyes seem to speak to me -- but dare I hear those words? Her eyes speak once again ... Henry's lips gently touch Charlotte's lips and with eyes closed the noise and clamor of the Lucky Strike Saloon fade to silence as Charlotte's arms pull him closer ... 'his kiss is so soft and gentle. He smells so clean ... he's treating me like a lady... Charlotte lays her head on Henry's chest and they just stand there for some unmarked time. As their moment of connection fades, she steps back as his arms hold her and they look again into the depths of each other's eyes.

"Well, this has been a very unexpected pleasure my dear -- a very wonderful welcome to Cripple Creek. I look forward to our next visit."

"Me too Henry. Goodnight ... and good luck on your investigation."

*****

Scene 7: 1892 -- One Year Earlier -- Cripple Creek -- Light In The Darkness

The night is dark, on this mission it's just Bo and his one real friend Tavasi who tie their horses in a thicket near the tent encampment. They wait in silence until they hear the signal -- three soft hoots of an owl. The wind is cold and they bury themselves as much as possible in the heavy coats as they walk to the rendezvous. When they get there, it's just head nods and the man leads them to the place. When he points at one tent, Bo nods again and passes a leather bag that is heavy for such a small size.

As the man disappears into the darkness, Bo and Tavasi approach the tent. The smoke of many stoves hangs low and dense in the air. Lamp light projects distorted shadows on the canvas wall before them, harsh voices can be heard. The ground is hard -- that place between a hard frost and frozen ground -- and it crunches under their boots with every step. But the angry voices are louder than their footfalls and then they're at the tent door flap. With a quick slash, Tavasi's knife opens it and they step in with guns in hand. "Don't be stupid and you might live!"

The two men standing, and the one sitting under their angry scowls freeze as they stare into the bores of the pistols. No one moves, and no one says a word. Tavasi moves his gun to tell the two standing to move away -- they understand perfectly. Even though both Bo and Tavasi have their faces well concealed, everyone knows who's who. It's Bo that breaks the silence and says to the man standing to the right of the sitting man. "If I'm not mistaken, you're Isaac Penn." Turning to the other man standing. "And you're Robert Carter. Have I got the names right boys?"

The two look at each and must have come to an agreement. The one named Isaac nods yes.

"Okay then. Now that we're all acquainted, almost like old friends -- I'd like to know just what'n hell you think you're doing here?"

The two men standing stare bug-eyed at one another for awhile and must have come to another agreement. "We're just doing what we're told mister. Just trying to make a living like everyone."

"Well the thing is Isaac, that's the same thing my friend here is doing too. And here I come to visit him and you two look like robbers to me. You know if I shoot you right now that's what you'll be -- two dead thieves. So who told you to come down here and rob my friend -- or was it your own idea?"

Again the two talk with their eyes and agree. "We work for Golden Bonanza. Look Mister, we're just doing what we're told to do -- you know?"

"So what was the deal Golden Bonanza was offering my friend?"

More eye talk, but not as long and Isaac takes the lead, "Okay. You got us flat footed. We was told to run him out so Golden could swallow up his claim."

"Okay, now I'm seeing things better. I didn't think you two looked like the type to rob a man -- so, who told you to come down here and do this?"

"Look, we're just small fish mister. And to tell the truth, the guy who told us to do this isn't much bigger. It all comes down from Denver or some other city -- and them ones don't get their boots dirty. Ain't no way to stop 'em." It was the one named Robert who finally spoke the truth.

"What do they pay you to run someone off their claim Robert?"

"It's an extra ten bucks for both of us."

"And you feel some loyalty to these men up in Denver, do you?"

"Hell no! We both come out here to try and get a break -- truth is, we're both about to say to hell with this place."

"Damn. I didn't think I was going to like you two very much ... but now I see that you're getting rolled the same as they wanted you to roll my friend up. Any chance you boys are ready to take that rich man's collar off?"

It's clear the question throws the two off. There's some shrugging of shoulders as they do their eye talk again. Issac seems to be the leader. "We're not sure what you mean."

"I mean, are you two ready to toss those Denver boys onto the rails? Do you know anything about their shipments -- when and how they move their gold? The gold that men like you two sweat and die for trying to pull it out of the ground. I'm giving you a chance to break free of them and make some gold for yourselves."

"Can I speak to Robert for a minute?"

"Sure, take your time -- this is a big opportunity."

The two huddle and whisper back and forth for a couple of minutes. When they come back from the corner they had retreated to, it's the leader Issac who speaks. "Okay. We're in. You're right, those bastards are playing us the same as they're playing your friend here. They won't be happy till they own every nugget."

"I think that's a wise choice men. Here's the deal. You pay attention to when the processed bullion is being moved. They may be on a schedule, maybe not. In two weeks, there'll be a man in the Lucky Strike wearing a coat made of wolf hides. You'll sit down with him and just act normal. While you talk, you can tell him what you've learned. Now there's one thing you have to do; when I send you word, you're going to slip away and meet us at a place you'll be told when the time comes. You see, you're going to be with me if and when we lift that gold. This is the only way I can help you. Once I can trust you more, you just feed us the information and keep your heads down. You'll get equal shares of whatever we lift from Mr Denver. Can we shake on that?"

This time the nods are more sure and the decision made more quickly. "Let's shake on it -- you never said your name."

"Just call me boss for now."

"Okay Boss, put 'er here."

"Well, that takes care of our business ... what are you going to do about my friend here?"

"I ain't sure. They expect us to rough him up if he don't get."

"Okay, I guess you tell 'em what they want to hear -- you roughed him up and he's bound to go a'running real soon. Isaac ... Robert, it's been a pleasure working this out. I don't think you two are bad men. Please don't make me regret being soft on you. I'm telling you what I believe; you'll be richer in the end if you work with me."

And then they were gone as silently as they had appeared. Neither Bo nor Tavasi thought this would solve the bigger problem in the dig-gin's. Nor did they think they could beat the tycoons in the end. The best they could hope for was to help a few folks along the way and put away a big enough nest egg to get out of the game and disappear some day soon.

***

Scene #8: 1893 -- Present day --The Winding Trail Home

Bo and his closest friend work their way out of the district on a trail Tavasi knew by heart. It isn't home safe, but it's safe enough for a few nights. That dammed newspaper called the Cripple Creek Crusher was stirring up trouble and bringing even more attention to the outlaw Bo Keap. It was Tavasi who convinced Bo to get away for awhile.

The temporary camp is a little more than a two hour ride in the dark. Bo leaves the lead up to Tavasi. He's one of a few men who he truly trusts in the whole district. When they first met it was on another trail west of Cripple Creek and before anyone thought of becoming outlaws who robbed the rich. When Bo first saw him, his instinct was to draw his weapon. After all, Indian's killed white folks, didn't they? But Tavasi had just sat his horse and stared into Bo's eyes with no fear. They sat there waiting for what would happen next until it was Tavasi who spoke; "I'm hungry and was about to make camp and cook some meat -- you want to eat?"

That long ago evening around a warm fire they had talked and a friendship was born. Also that night Tavasi had told Bo that he had been watching him for awhile before showing himself. When Bo asked why he had come out, Tavasi just stared expressionless for a long minute, then said it was just a feeling that he was supposed to. It was that night that they joined up and it was always Tavasi who was the most level headed of the two.

It had been quite awhile after their first meeting that the men shared their past -- Bo told of his parent's robbery by crooked rich men -- Tavasi told of his parents robbery by crooked rich men. The shared pain strengthened their bond. It was more than a month of sharing a trail and a camp at night that Tavasi finally told Bo about his parents. His father was a respected leader of a small group of Ute people and his mother was of Spanish lineage. His childhood was one of love and peace in the general area where they now roamed and further south and west. He knew it like a man would know his own town and it was always Tavasi who knew where to go to disappear for awhile. In a way and over time, they became brothers in heart, if not in blood.

Early the next morning it's the cold that always defeats all the warmth the human body can muster and drives them out of the blankets. Since Tavasi considers this a safe place, the two take the time to tend to the horses needs as a small, almost smokeless, fire boils water with crushed coffee beans. For now, this and some dried meat will do and later they should be at Tavasi's village where there is more distance between them and Cripple Creek. With the newspaper putting out more stories about them it seems a good time to disappear for awhile.

The detour south to Tavasi's home area will satisfy two needs, the first being to put more distance between themselves and those who might still be searching for them. The other, more pleasant reason, is the simple desire to settle for awhile and rest in a place where there are many other eyes on watch for intruders. It can also be said a third benefit, if not the main reason, to go deeper into the wilderness is to simply be enveloped by the raw beauty and peace of the place. This land is ancient and home to the decedents of the first people. Just being here, surrounded by the bare rock canyons, the forested mountains, the animals and the clean earthly aura -- these change a man -- these heal a man. If he is a man with a good spirit, he finds deep solace and inner peace. If the man is one with a dark spirit the place becomes a menace filled with fear and uncertainty. On the open prairie, the distance might be covered in two days -- but this isn't the open prairie and the four days it will take seems rushed.

Of course, Tavasi's people knew on the second day that they were coming ... but this is their home and given the times and the many new people invading the area, the need to be aware is growing more acute. So, it's all prepared when Tavasi and Bo finally approach the settlement. It's one of several places where the community can find all their needs met -- Tavasi, being part of this community knew generally where they would be at this season. It seems a fearsome welcome, had Bo been alone he would have turned his horse and raced away as fast as possible. But what appears as fearsome to Bo brings feelings of joy and peace to Tavasi.

The pair are surrounded with people as they dismount and walk their horses into the encampment. Little children stay back in obvious fear of Bo, the older boys run in to touch him and then dart quickly away. The adults slowly gather around them, two men take the horses and tied them nearby. Tavasi's mother had hurried to meet him and touch him to be certain he is alright. And to Bo's surprise, a young woman comes from the crowd and she and Tavasi embrace. Turning to Bo he tells him, "This is Pingjarje, my woman -- you call wife." He turns to her and says, "This is Bo and he is a man I trust. We will stay some days here -- we will all talk, and eat."

That night they did indeed eat and talk. Bo isn't sure of all that's happening, but it seems that he is built up as someone Tavasi likes and trusts. After the eating tapers off, Tavasi stands and retrieves his saddlebags which he had secured in his wife's shelter. He walks to, what appeared to be, the main leaders of the clan. "Fathers and Mothers I have been given something that is to be given to you all." With that, Tavasi opens and empties the contents onto a blanket in front of the elders. There's not a sound until the gathered people see the gold sparkling in the firelight. A quiet roar, or perhaps a loud gasp says it better -- it sweeps through the people and is quickly followed by loud shouts and calls that Bo can't know the meaning of -- but it's obvious that Tavasi has given them all a great gift.

123456...8