The Legend of Bo Keap

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After things settle back down, the silence is filled with singing and dancing late into the night. As the night ages, and the little ones are falling asleep, mothers and sisters gather the youngsters and tuck them away inside. The old men sit and talk about what this might all mean. In that discussion, Tavasi tells them of his experiences with white men. Bo sits aside and can only guess what is being discussed based on facial expressions and such. Finally, the meeting seems to be over and the men walk to their homes. "What did you tell them Tavasi?"

"I told them about how much that gold would buy from the white man's store. I told them more and more white men are coming near here every day. I told them of the thirst the white men have for gold in the ground. I told them about what you and I do when we take some of the gold from men who are not honest -- not good men. I said to them that we all need to be awake and start thinking about how to secure this land that has been ours since before any man can remember. I did not tell them this yet; that we must speak for ourselves in front of the white man's chiefs. I will tell them that another day after they have had time to think.

Bo, my friend -- my brother, I have dark things in my mind after seeing what I have seen being with you. These people here, my people, they cannot yet see the numbers of the white ones. My time with you has opened my eyes, but still I cannot see clearly what might come from all of this. If another white man finds gold close to my people ... I have seen the hills around CrippleCreek covered by men just like ants on their mound. I have seen their guns, I have seen their dynamite -- I have seen their greed and thirst for more ... what can I tell them?"

Tavasi is always a serious man, but this night it's like he had seen something that is beyond his ability to alter -- beyond his ability to fight. Bo tells him; "Brother, all that you say is true. What you said about speaking to the white man's chiefs is very important. I have read where the white man's government has already started taking people's land away. They say the people already here don't need so much land. What I read said there is a new law called the Dawes Act. This new law gives the white government the right to divide the land already set aside for the people -- in short, they want to cut it up into small plots for each family. Tavasi -- Brother, they are trying to turn all of you into farmers. All I can say is that you and all your people need to speak against this if you want to remain as the Creator intended. Tavasi, my friend it has already happened in the east of here. You have probably heard this, but they have already stolen most of the land to the east. I can only believe that they intend to take it all. You know that it is impossible to fight them. I think all you can do is raise your voices where the white chiefs sit. I hate to say such bad things, but you must know before you can act to stop it. Perhaps with the money you gave your people you can buy land for your people. I'm sorry that I don't know much about doing that."

"Bo, I thank you for what you have said. Tonight we will sleep here ... but I do not want to bring trouble to my people here. Tomorrow we must go away and hide in a better place than this. Maybe the slot-canyon house?"

"I agree Brother. Be sure to tell the elders to hide the gold and don't spend it too freely. That would draw attention to them and someone's likely to come asking questions -- or even steal it."

Bo sets up a small tent and settles in for another night on the hard cold ground.

Tavasi and Pingjarje stand and walk to their shelter and slip through the door flap. His heart heavy, Tavasi sits for awhile in front of the small fire in thought. He silently offers prayers to those who watch over his people, asking for wisdom to go in the right direction. His wife, Pingjarje watches from her place under the blankets. She easily reads the worry he is in, but has no words to take the worry away. After awhile, Tavasi stands up and removes his clothes -- Pingjarje lifts the blankets exposing her nakedness so her man could join her.

Tavasi forces aside his worry for another day and pulls his wife close to him -- warm flesh against warm flesh and soon that warmth grows and spreads as the desire for connection pushes aside the worries of what might come out in the white man's world. She takes one of his hands and places it on her body and he begins to push aside his worries so he can be thankful for this time.

After a time of reconnection, Pingjarje spreads her legs for her man and he settles himself on top of her. As she encircles him with both arms, he holds his hands under her head and they lay there in silence as their connection grows strong. When the time is right, he guides himself into her open body and they lay there as one being. When the time is again right, Tavasi starts to breed her -- she raises her legs in order to spread them wider. Pingiaje clutches him tight as if desiring that his entire body might enter her -- that they might truly become one. Tavasi does his best to grant her desire -- thrusting deep and steady into her. When her time comes, she lets out a soft moan of pleasure -- a pleasure in which he joins with her as his own time quickly follows after hers. No doubt the others nearby heard and approve of the couple's reconnection.

Afterward, they lay close together and whisper softly about the many things happening around them. The changes are easy to say, but the solutions to what they would do are not so clear. The worry weighs heavy on both. "I have talked to Bo about our worries and he has said we must all talk about how things are changing too fast. For now, I believe the best thing for me to do is stay with Bo and the others to get more gold and money for us all. If things change in a bad way here, we may need to move away and we will need gold and money. We should save as much as we can of what I can gather -- it will be for everyone, but must be used wisely. I will speak to the others on this tomorrow. Bo has bought a large piece of land south and west from here. He has said I can go there with him, and you too. I have not decided, but it feels wrong to leave everyone behind. You should think about this too. My time around the white ones shows me that our people do not really know much about them."

Early the next morning, Tavasi talks with the older men and tells them about the things he has seen. He tells them what Bo has said about the white man's leaders and that it would be good to try to speak with them -- try to explain our way of life and our need for the lands we have always lived on. That our ways are not the same as farmers. He also tells them that it would be wise to keep the gold hidden, to hold it for a day when the people might need it more than they need new pots or new blankets and things bought at the trading post. The people seem to understand and agree about holding the gold in hiding. They will go hide it this very day.

The two leave late that morning and by midday the sky is clear and the day is warm when they stop again. The country around them is even more rugged, the canyons are deep and winding with many a dead end of shear walls of rock. But to Tavasi, it's like coming home. It's in these canyons and forests that he was raised. It is in this twisted maze they have made many safe places to lay low. This one that Bo and Tavasi go to is a slit in the rock wall that is virtually impossible to see unless one knows where to veer off the easier ground and lead the horses around and through the ancient boulders and the mixed brush and trees. Once through the couple of hundred feet of slot canyon, the place opens up into a bowl formed by the shear rock wall towering all around them. There is one small spring that feeds crystal clear water into a small catchment Tavasi had repaired years before he met Bo. Nearby is a dwelling of the ancient people that is made of mud bricks enclosing a low overhang shelf of the rock wall that towers above. It is here that the two men can find some peace and rest for awhile. It's not the first time they have hidden in this place and it is here that they discuss and plan on the next moves to make.

"I'll take care of the horses Tavasi, if you'll get some grub going. This place is starting to feel like home old friend."

"You can't cook. Do the horses and I'll make something we can eat."

***

With the animals taken care of, Bo takes his rifle and backtracks down through the slot opening. There is a perch up in the rocks that affords a good view up and down the main canyon they had come through. Of all the times one of the men has sat here on guard, no other person has ever been seen. It's the part of this life that wears on a man -- the constant worry and looking over the shoulder. His Papa had said when he was a youngster, who like most kids, would take a stick and poke at the cow patties; 'Bo, you play in cow shit long enough, you're bound to get it on you.' This life is just like cow shit -- eventually someone is going catch up to me ... and likely Tavasi and the rest of the men too.

But it's in these quiet canyons that the worries can flake off a bit. It's here in the silence where thoughts about a normal life can run free. It's here when the thoughts of the ranch land he bought down in northern New Mexico Territory can be taken out and dusted off ... 'when is enough, enough?' It's also here in this peaceful refuge where thoughts of Lou can be opened and explored ... 'I wonder if she's really interested in me enough to start a life together? Wish I had more time with her where we could just talk and dream. I'm tired of hiding -- I've got enough to get a new start somewhere. Be lonely as hell to be there in New Somewhere all alone....' As the afternoon begins to fade into early evening, it seems that no one is tracking them and Bo works his way back down and retraces his steps to their shelter. Night comes quicker in these canyons -- the chill comes quicker too.

"No gunshots Bo. Did we make it safe again?"

"Well Tavasi, there's thirty or forty soldiers down there waiting for us to come out -- but I don't see that as a reason to worry."

Tavasi rewards Bo's joke with a chuckle, "If it's just thirty or forty we should eat and get in our bedding. I started a fire inside and it'll be a warm night's sleep Bo."

"Thanks Tavasi. I couldn't do any of this without you my friend."

"We're brothers. You have helped me and many of my people with the gold we lift off those bastardos. Come, grab some food and we go in."

Tavasi sits on the red rock floor near the fire and I join him nearby. The interior of the small dwelling always feels sacred for some reason. It's not fancy, but it is very ... peaceful and functional. The small fire in the corner of the mud brick wall vents the smoke out though an opening and leaves most of the warmth inside. The meat is dry-tack seasoned with things only Tavasi would know, but I know it's delicious. "I was thinking about the place down in New Mexico earlier. You ever decide if you'll be going down there with me when the time comes?"

"I think I wanted to Bo. It's getting crazy around here with all the gold -- all the new people coming here. But after talking to you and being at home with my people, I think they need me here. I'm torn between wanting to go and caring for my people. After what you said about the white men and their taking all the land, the choice is hard. But I have been wondering; Are the white people and gold hunters also in the place you want to go? "

"I hadn't thought that far Tavasi, just sort of getting the feeling it's time. But no, when I was down there I didn't see any sign of the things we've seen up in Cripple Creek. Are you thinking maybe all your people might be safer down there? Is that a place your people have ever lived?"

"I know my people have been all over this land for many days ride from here. We know of old places, some like this one, where the ancient ones lived long before us. I would need to ask the elders if they know about this place you go to. But from the way you describe it, I believe my people have lived there but before my time. It is a place that puts us closer to the Apache people but not too close if it is the place I am thinking of."

"I was wondering about Lou. Do you think your woman Pingjarje -- any chance she might want to go?"

"It would be good if they would both come. I have talked to Pingjarje, have you talked to Lou?"

"I've sort of put off making the call to end this that we're doing. I'd love to take down the rich bastardos before we leave -- I guess just being out here where it's so peaceful makes me think the time is getting closer."

"So, that's a no? You haven't talked to her about going with you?"

"Damn you Tavasi, you always see right through me. No, I haven't talked to her."

"It would be good to talk to her, then you would know."

"Yep, I know. I just wonder why she would go. She's built her own business and I have no idea if she even wants to go away with me."

Tavasi just nods with a squashed smile on his face. "The food is good, eh?"

"It's perfect my friend. Thank you for everything you've done ... I'll talk to Lou next time I can."

"That would be good. Then we can decide more. And also, I need to talk to the elders of my people too... and also to Pingjaje more."

"You know Tavasi, that place I bought down south -- that's a big chunk of land. I would think there is room for everyone."

"I will ask them. Our way of living needs a lot of space. Too little land and it becomes spoiled -- the animals and plants need their space too if they are to be healthy. That is why we move with the seasons."

"Do what you think is best Brother. The offer is open."

Thank you Bo, this is a good thing you have offered."

After eating I gather the dishes to wash in the stream and Tavasi takes his nightly walk around our camp. I don't know where his circuit takes him -- I just know I trust his ability to spot trouble out here more than I trust mine. We come together again at the horses and prepare them for the night ahead. I look up, the worries resting heavy on my shoulders ... 'The sky is clear and the stars innumerable above us. In this light I can see the rim of rock around us and it makes everything about mankind seem so small and insignificant... out here gold means nothing. Here, life is honed down to a razor edge of basic needs -- trusted friendship -- the love of a woman to share life with. I'll talk to Lou next time I'm in town.'

*****

Scene#9: 1893 -- Cripple Creek - Early Fall One Year earlier 1893 -- Henry and Charlotte Grow Closer

Henry saunters down the street after leaving his room above Archer's store. The Lucky Strike Saloon is his destination with high hopes of seeing Charlotte again. He knows it's not right -- he knows what she does for a living -- but his heart isn't interested in reason. It's not just all the good local information she shares either. He hasn't bedded her because it just seems out of sorts to pay her for something like that. It's not just lust that drives the desire, it's deeper than that. It's something he's wrestled with these many nights alone in his bed.

Charlotte spots Henry before he sees her and let's Ming know that she'll be busy for awhile. Ming nods knowingly and goes about his business of keeping The Lucky Strike running smoothly.

Henry's still searching for his ... is it sweetheart? Charlotte reaches around his waist from behind and whispers, "Hello stranger, can I get you something to drink?"

Henry turns, with a delighted smile on his face. "There you are. Why don't we get another bottle of your favorite wine and find someplace quiet to share it?"

"Sounds lovely, Mr. Armstrong. Take my hand and I'll find us a place."

With the wine in hand, together they weave through the crowd and up the stairs to the rooms. With Lou and Charlotte's arraignment to glean information from Henry, the smaller of the two sitting rooms is set aside just for her. The room is cozy, created with the more affluent customers in mind. Getting information from Henry takes precedent over that and is kept at the ready for just such an occasion as this.

"Have a seat my sweet, I'll pour us some wine."

"You're so thoughtful Henry, I could get spoiled by you I think. And what have you been up to -- any new leads on Bo Keap?"

"Well, that's one of the reasons I've come to see you tonight, I do have other reasons of course. But yes, I think I do have some new information and wanted to run it by you. I've been told that Bo Keap stepped in to protect a miner who discovered a rich vein a few weeks back. Rumor has it that a fellow by the name of Chester Ryan was getting roughed up by four men employed by Rodger Eldridge. From what I hear around town, Bo and his men surprised them in the act one night. I don't know the details, but word has it that those four men suddenly decided to move out of the territory. You hear anything about that?"

"Yes, I've heard some talk. It's not uncommon though. I hear a lot of stories along those lines. People will talk, and The Lucky Strike is a popular place to gather and talk. The other women here also tell about such things happening. And I know for a fact that Bo Keap himself came in here one night to give a hefty sack of gold to one of the women here who was roughed up and abused by a bastard of a man."

"Sweetheart, your not the first person who's told me of such things. And you say you know for a fact that he helped that woman. I know I can trust your story. And this presents quite a quandary, my dear."

"Why Henry? What's the quandary?"

"Well you see, pretty lady, I came out here to write the story about an outlaw that was raping the district. Now I'm not so sure who's the thief and who's the hero. In short, it's getting much more complicated than I first imagined."

"What will you do Henry?"

"At this point, I can't be sure. But you confirmed in my mind that I need to dig deeper and find out what the real story is. Can I count on you to let me know anything you hear?"

"Of course. I'll just listen and tell you what I hear and let you figure out if it's rumor or truth. More wine?"

"Yes Sweetheart, let's put Bo and tycoons out of our minds. You're a wonderful help to me Charlotte ... your friendship and company has transformed an almost unbearable situation into a very pleasant one."

"Henry, I feel the same about you. I want you to believe me when I tell you that you have brightened up my life. I love to sit and talk with you. You're so different than all those other's down there. You're a true gentleman and I've never been treated like this before. I want to thank you for that."

Henry's heart pounds in his chest. His need demands that he make his feelings known. He pours another full glass of wine and drinks deeply of the courage building tonic. He sets the glass down and moves close to Charlotte. "Sweetheart, I know nothing of this life that you lead here. I know very little about you. But I do know that you are in my thoughts everyday. Ever since that first night, you've been on my mind. Is it possible that we can be together? I mean in an exclusive way?"

What had started out as an assignment for Lou, has evolved into something no one envisioned. Charlotte is torn between her loyalty to Lou and her growing love for Henry. Lost and without a good answer, she looks at Henry with damp eyes.

Henry sees her emotion and instinctively draws her into a kiss.

Charlotte, closing her eyes, returns in full the embrace and the kiss. It's a real kiss -- a kiss that means something. Her chest feels as if it might explode as their lips communicate in unspoken truths. She once again thrills in Henry's gentleness, his sweet clean scent is like a perfume, his lips and hands soft on her face. "Henry, hold me. I've never known anyone like you. I know I'm not the kind of woman you would want. It breaks my heart that we didn't meet before life took me down this road I'm on. You asked me if we can be exclusive -- is that possible for you?"

1...345678