The Legend of Bo Keap

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bo whispers in Phillip's ear as they give each other a farewell hug, "You're always welcome. And if you ever need anything -- more money or whatever -- you just let me know. I'll send you a letter once we're settled to let you know how to get there."

***

Scene# 14: 1893 -- Early Fall --The Capture of Bo Keap

You have to give 'em credit, the Sheriff and the five men with him are as cautious as the scout who followed Lou to the camp. They dismount well away from the target and with one last warning from the Sheriff for absolute silence, they move out to form a circle around the summit of the little hill. The posse closes in the instant the Sheriff's gunshot into the air signals the charge.

With Lou nearby, Bo's first instinct is to push her to the ground and cover her with his body. Very quickly he sees the situation and if it were just him and his men, he would have some options to fight back -- with Lou in danger he quickly accepts that he has no other choice but surrender. "Hold your fire," he calls out. "I surrender!"

Lou, in a panic tries to stop him, pulling him to urge him to lay down she says, "No Bo! Can't we make a run for it?"

"Shhh, it's too risky Lou ... my love, I'm sorry but I think it's over for me."

"No...no...no, don't say that. We can fight out way out!"

"No, not this time. I just want you to know that I love you and that you have given me more joy than anything else in my whole life. But I don't think the best lawyer in the world could get me out of this one. Just remember; You knew nothing about me except as a customer who you took a fancy to. You have to promise me -- I would die before you got dragged down with me." Standing with his hands high, Bo shouts again, "I surrender!"

The Sheriff and his men emerge from their hiding places, each with a Winchester lever-action pointed at the couple. In short order they have their hands tied behind their backs and are led, one by one, to the horses where they are made to sit on the ground. After getting the horses tacked out, Bo is boosted aboard and tied to the saddle. Lou is treated with more respect and isn't tied up.

The ride down the hill toward town is the saddest ride of his life, much like that ride to Austin with his sister so long ago. The whole trip down, Bo keeps asking himself why he didn't get out of this game sooner -- and now it's too late -- now, it's all over. The pain of loosing his family had weighed heavy on him his entire life -- but in a way that seemed odd to him, the loss of his life with Lou down on the New Mexico ranch burns hotter ... 'we were so close ... but it's all lost'.

Arriving in town, the Sheriff makes the decision to allow Lou to walk free. It's strictly a self-serving decision. Considering the division in the citizens, it's a calculated political move, knowing that Lou is a popular person in town -- and she'd also just be extra work tending to. But Bo is locked up and mocked by the Sheriff and his helpers. In fact, it's a celebration complete with self-adulation all around.

As the word of Bo's capture spreads through the town like wildfire, fights and confrontations between the sides grow. Within half an hour, things have turned into a riot. The Sheriff is forced to go into the streets and try to calm the growing storm. Little did he realize that Phillip had made it his job to, not only contribute to the crowds anger, but to also stay close to the Sheriff's office in order to keep an eye on the him that night. And as luck would have it, he was able to watch in silence from a distance as the Sheriff and three of his men parade into town with their catch.

But now, with Bo locked up and the Sheriff distracted by the near riot conditions in the town center, Phillip casually walks by the Sheriff's office taking note through the front window of the situation inside. The Sheriff had taken all but two deputies to quell the uprising -- two new deputies by the look of 'em. The young deputies seem to still in good spirits over their success this night.

But what to do for Bo and his people? Phillip ponders for awhile trying to think of some way to get his friends out. The best plan he can settle on in such short notice is to try to get the two deputies out on some made up ruse. Deciding that time dictates action over careful planning, he rushes inside shouting," A group of men are beating a deputy just down the street! It's ten against one and we better help em!"

The plan worked, but probably not for long. Phillip pulls back as the deputies rush to help their comrades and then quickly gathers all the keys hanging on a peg -- as fast as possible he goes though them trying to open Bo's cell door. Finally one opens it, Bo quickly recovers his guns and the two turn to disappear in the crowds. -- "Hold on a second Phillip! I want to see what's in this locked drawer that's so important to the Sheriff. Watch the door. Bo takes his pistol out and shoots the padlock and it's hasp off the large bottom drawer. Quickly, he pulls it open to find a leather pouch. He picks it up and sees numerous hard back ledger style books. Pulling one out and having a quick looks lifts his spirits like nothing ever had -- except for Lou. "Okay Phillip, let's get out'a here!"

Getting Bo's horse out of the livery requires another ruse to get the stable keeper to come out and give an opinion on Phillip's horse that was limping earlier. In the short time the stable employee was looking at the horse, Bo locates his own horse and tack and leaves by the back doors and through the corrals. When Phillip figures that Bo's had enough time, he thanks the young man for his help, mounts up and rides away, meeting back up with Bo near the holding pens.

"Okay, Phillip old friend, now we have to find Lou."

"I already figured as much and talked to Jess at the Lucky Strike, she's in her rooms."

"That makes thing easier, thanks for all the help Jess. I'm worried that your face has been seen too many times tonight. I think I'll try to get her attention from below her balcony. If you'll keep hold of my horse I'll try to get her attention. If you're hip is up for some more, I could use a lookout while I'm trying to get to her."

"Not a problem Bo. I'll keep an eye out while you're exposed -- I figure I'll tie your horse a ways off until you need him. I should also go get the horse I got for Lou, don't you think?"

"Yeah, you're right Phil. Let's go while we might still have a chance."

***

Scene# 15: 1893 -- Early Fall -- The Escape Toward Freedom

The town all seems to have gone mad. As the two men use the back streets, walking and leading their horses to best blend in, the sounds of the angry crowd can be easily heard. Dogs are barking all over town, folks are outside their homes trying to see what's going on. Gunshots can be heard every once in awhile. There is an angry crowd in front of the courthouse calling for the ouster of the Mayor and everyone under him. All of the turmoil is spreading the Sheriff's men thin all over town.

Phillip breaks off to get Lou's new horse -- Bo tries to walk his horse as quietly as possible to the spot under his love's balcony. Cripple Creek's main business district isn't that big and soon he's in the spot he wanted in the darkness behind The Lucky Strike Saloon. Unsure about how Lou might be guarded inside, he'd already picked up some small rocks on the way, and now carefully tosses one toward the balcony doors -- it hits the railing instead and falls back to the ground. Another toss -- another miss. Deciding that a gentle toss maybe isn't the way to go -- Bo backs his horse away from under the balcony and a gives a harder toss at the doors -- breaking the glass in the process. But it's worth the noise and risk when Lou opens the door and steps out.

"Psst, down here Lou -- it's me. We gotta get out of here pronto!"

Returning the low whisper, "I'll toss my bag and meet you by the back door to the kitchen."

"Okay. Try to hurry. Is there a deputy watching you?"

"No, they don't seem interested in me. I'll be right down." The whispered conversation sounds loud to Bo's ears, but it can't be helped -- he has to get Lou even if it costs him his life.

And she does hurry, she tries for a moment to find Charlotte, but fails. Then, leaving it all behind she walks out and into the arms of the only love she's ever known. "How did you get out?"

"No time now. Phillip was to have a horse for you but it looks like he isn't going to make it. We gotta ride, now."

"Who's that coming Bo?"

Looking back over his shoulder, "Thank God, It's him, see the horse he's leading. Lou, we have to get these ledgers to those newspaper guys. I got them out of the Sheriff's desk. I just glanced at them, but that was enough for me to know that this will break this cycle of corruption -- there are lists in here with names and the amount of money each has been receiving to do the gold kings' bidding. The stupid bastards kept accounting records. Run back in a give these to Charlotte to give to Henry, here and I'll be right back."

Lou turns and hurries back inside, not wanting to hunt for Charlotte, Lou gives the ledgers over to Ming with precise instructions about making sure they get to Henry, the newsman. "Charlotte can help you, just be careful no other person knows about these ledgers Ming. I love you dear friend, goodbye." The two hug for a brief moment, the first and only time they showed their affection for one another.

Quickly mounting up, Bo hurries to meet Phil. "Phil, you made it. I was afraid you got caught. Here, I'll take it from here and you can get out'a here."

"Bo, pain or not, if you'll have me I'd like to go south with you all."

"Old friend, that's music to my ears. Let's get Lou and ride."

The two men are at the back door of the Lucky Strike as Lou walks out. And after getting Lou on her horse, ride they do. The Moon is with them and once out of the glare of the towns many lamps, and once the traveler's eyes adjust to the dark -- they ride through the night on one of their well known trails. They stop at dawn in a secluded canyon and take turns at sleep and watching their back trail. With all that's going on, Bo is thankful that Phillip decided to ride along with them. He'd always felt a need to take care of him after his injury ... and now, knowing that he can lifts his spirits.

After a few days with no sign of anyone, it was agreed that the pace could safely be more leisurely -- and the spirits could be lighter with a new life ahead.

***

Scene# 16: Epilogue -- Late Fall 1893 -- The Ride West And A New Life

In the end, it's over a month before they arrive at the New Mexico ranch. Over the last several days the weather has turned noticeably colder. Bo had always hoped to someday get back to this place ... but in his daydreams it had always been much nicer weather. He hadn't intended to do anything with the old adobe brick ranch-house except to turn it into a storeroom -- now with the winter closing in they would have to patch it up and make-do for now. As Bo and Phillip work on the structure they would need before winter, Lou makes sure there is food and drink -- and does her best to make their temporary "canvas home" comfortable.

In anticipation of the day he would leave Cripple Creek behind, Bo had already divided the accumulated gold and cash among his men. Everyone agreed it was time to bring this chapter of their lives to an end while they still had freedom -- and now enough capital to live wherever they wanted. It was a somewhat melancholy end to a wild ride -- but it was time. Now, in hindsight, Bo was thankful that he'd divvied up the stash of gold, coins and paper dollars when he had.

After the first winter on their ranch land in the New Mexico Territory, it's more months before they have the new place livable to their satisfaction. It's most definitely not the comparable luxury of the LuckyStrike Saloon, but that sacrifice seems insignificant compared to the wide open beauty, the clean air, and the fresh pure water cascading though the canyons. Also as an unexpected benefit, Bo and Lou experienced new and wonderful feelings of relief at being free of their past responsibilities.

But it's the nights that each look forward to the most. For Lou, laying with her man is the realization of the dreams she had as a young woman -- a young woman who had been forced to learn the realities of hardship and compromise when the death of her parents left her alone in this big world. She had learned the hard way that the love and kindness she knew as a child didn't exist everywhere. But she also knew it was those very same hardships that had shaped and fashioned her into the woman she became. While feeling some remorse for eventually becoming a saloon and brothel owner -- self-forgiveness is the best option she has. At the least, she can be proud of the fact that she took good care of her girls ... and without her, it's very likely their lives would have been much worse. And yet, with all of the hard work and slow progress there are still some regrets that sometimes cast a cloud over her joy of being free. But then Bo returns from whatever project he's working on and with the man she loves with all of her heart ... each day any regrets fade a little more under the bright New Mexico sunshine.

It's at night when she and Bo snuggle close together naked ... she loves the way he brushes her hair before bed -- even more, she loves the way his lips and hands brush against her skin. She loves the way he lingers, in no rush to satisfy his own needs. Most of all she loves the way he kisses her ... first her closed eyes, then her lips -- followed by a whispered, 'I love you'. A reassurance he never overlooks or forgets.

Then, once love had been proclaimed and reaffirmed, his kisses move back to her neck, always bringing a tickle and chill bumps to her skin -- awakening her nipples to stand hard and sensitive in the cool night air awaiting his kisses. He is a master with those lips, knowing just when to pleasure her breasts -- and when to follow the trail lower as he encourages her to spread herself for him. In all of the years and of all the men she had known, only Bo never sees her as a dirty whore. At first, she had tried to prevent him from kissing her there ... ironically, because she felt despoiled and dirty. But with his tender persuasion and tender assurance that she is perfect in his eyes, she finally relented and sank softly into a deeper love and a greater appreciation for the man many consider a killer and thief. The greatest gift of all was finally learning -- after all the johns and all the drunks -- learning that making-love could be the most wonderful of all the gifts the Creator gave to humans.

In her years before buying the Lucky Strike, it was the job -- get it done and move to the next guy. But once she was her own boss -- once she had made love to Bo that first night.... No, with Bo it was with eager desire that she took him into her mouth -- gently returning the intimate expression of love that he had given her. It was something she refused to do as a lady of the night -- -- not with the riffraff who gravitate to the 'houses of ill repute' -- not willingly, anyway. There had been those few who became violent, and self-preservation dictated a compromise. But that was only in the earlier years so long ago. Years and memories that fade more each day here on this ranch -- a new life filled with clean air, peaceful silence ... except for the soft song the wind plays in the Pine trees.

Bo so often feels as if he's in a dream -- a dream too wonderful to be true. He loves offering his ministrations to this woman who, for some reason, fell in love with him. His life after avenging his parents robbery and, to his mind, their murders ... well, that life had been hard. No home, no family nearby and few real friends over the years. The only way he found to scrape by was as a drover on the cattle drives from various parts of Texas north to the railroads in Dodge City, Kansas. His sister Kathryn thankfully had a place in St. Louis with their aunt. They had corresponded over the years, but circumstances never brought them close enough to actually see one another. Now, it seemed it would be like two strangers meeting if they ever did.

And it had been almost a year of months before letters were exchanged with those others left behind -- Henry and Charlotte got married shortly after Bo and Lou had left -- they have a little boy that they named Bo. Once the rabble-rousing newsman, as Bo fondly called him, got out of CrippleCreek he knew Henry and his family should be safe. There was no need to look over the shoulder now -- no worries about corrupt gold barons or crooked lawmen.

In fact, Henry and his family should be relocated in Denver by now. Last they had heard on the gossip in the wind was that, Henry has a top notch job as a lauded reporter in Denver -- 'The man who uncovered the corruption in Cripple Creek'. Perhaps a bit over lauded, but Henry always had a way of getting on the good side of folks. His articles, first published in the Kansas City Daily Gazette, had been well received by the public and had been read far and wide.

Finally life settles into a comfortable routine for Bo and his family. His own family and childhood had been cut short -- but it seems that fate had plans for some of that pain and suffering to be relieved by having this ranch and a family of his own now. The only thing still pending is the trip west that Bo's younger sister Kathryn hopes to soon be making. That and the hope that Tavasi might drop by one day with news of his people. Yes, the Keap family had too many rough sad years -- those years are past though and the future offers bright hope, honest work and happiness that has been too long postponed.

The End

Your comments and your ratings are always requested and appreciated ~ yukonnights

1...345678