The Librarian Pt. 03

Story Info
The end of Micheal Starne's Odyssey.
12.3k words
4.7
33.6k
79

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 02/19/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Librarian- Part 3

This is the end of John Dorne's/Michael Starne's odyssey. I apologize again for the time lag, but life sometimes interferes with your hobbies. Mrs. Bear thanks the several people who offered condolences on her sister's passing. Marion was 82. She had a long, happy life.

This is Mike's last chance at normalcy. I hope he gets it. I also apologize for the mix-up in the Lovebirds children. It should be three sons and three daughters.

Again, please enjoy.

***********************************************************************************

Stepping down from the cab, Mike surveyed the surrounding countryside. Rolling hills, pristine forests in the back ground running up to the foothills of the Northern Rockies west slope, and gently undulating fields were spread before him.

"It sure is peaceful,' thought Michael. 'Might be a good place to finally get lost in.'

Over the last two to three hours, Penney had been on her cell phone. They had swapped places and she was again back in the sleeper, so Michael couldn't quite hear the gist of the conversation. She had been on the phone with her oldest son, Hiram Jr., a Highway Patrol Lieutenant, Jethro, #2 son, an Assistant District attorney for Shasta County, and 'Doctor' Penelope Sawyer, their daughter, a Nurse Practitioner at the local hospital asking them to come to the house for some counsel. She told them in no uncertain terms to 'haul their backsides to the house ASAP; Daddy and she needed them and their 'expertise.' She had an idea. It would bring to a head the plethora of facts that were festering in her consciousness.

Mike worked his stiff muscles and turned to help Hiram with the cab. He pulled out the garbage bags and the 'luggage', such as it was, and drained the small onboard toilet. That had been an eye opener, as he didn't realize that a sleeper had one, or needed it. He was familiarizing himself with the lay of things when he saw the approaching cars coming towards house. The first one was just large, nondescript looking SUV, a Chevy Tahoe he thought, blue with steel wheels. Nothing fancy.

The second vehicle, however, got his attention. A Ford Explorer, black front and back with white driver's and passenger's doors, with the markings of the California Highway Patrol. The brush guard front bumper and the light bar left no doubt. COPS. Actually, CHIPS if he remembered correctly.

SHIT!! he thought. He looked around and quickly estimated his chances of running to the trees on the far side of the lawn. Too late. Now what??

The small caravan pulled up and the Explorer's driver door opened and a tall, younger version of Hiram stepped out, complete with stetson and boots. He grinned at his mother and swept her up into a warm hug.

"Welcome home, mom," he grinned. He turned to his father and tipped his hat and extended his hand. The affection exuding to his father was unmistakable.

"Welcome home, dad. How was your trip? Did you behave yourself?," casting a backwards glance at his mother. Penny blushed down into her cute cleavage, as her two daughters burst out laughing. His father grinned.

"Always, son. But your mother, well........"

Choruses of 'EEWWWW' and gag sounds resounding from the two daughters-in-law and the gathering of grand children echoed around the group, while both sons roared in laughter and Penny continuing to blush even more, if it was possible. She stared at her husband.

"HIRAM LOVEBIRD, that is enough of your ribaldry. Just wait till I get you alone later," she intoned with mock seriousness. All to a chorus 'LA, LA, LA, LA' from daughters and grand children who plugged their ears while her sons laughed even harder, and Hiram grinned and wiggled his eyebrows.

#2 son, asst. District Attorney Jethro William Lovebird, stepped up and hugged his mother and kissed her cheek.

"It's good to see you, mother. I'm glad you didn't get arrested this time." He turned to his father and shook his hand. "Thanks for taking care of her, dad, and keeping her 'out of trouble'." He was grinning stupidly and chuckling.

'There a story there, someplace', thought John.

Hiram was laughing and the beaming affection both sons lavished on their parents was something to be hold. Their two daughters-in-law were obviously included as one was hugging her father-in-law while the other was fussing over her mother-in-law who was cuddling a small infant.

John shifted his feet. "I thought you had three sons?", he asked politely.

"That would be Micheal James. He works for Northern California Power and Light," piped up Penelope.

This was followed by a chorus of, 'He was a lineman for the county...' amid squeals and roars of laughter. Obviously a usual occurrence when Micheal's job was mentioned, as even the grandchildren joined in with a humorous rendition of, 'Wa Wa Wa WA'.

Everyone was having a good time and I was a forgotten entity. Until Penney snapped everyone to the forefront and turned to introduce me.

"This is John Dorne. We 'found' John in Sturgis, and he followed us home. We are going to keep him, if he wants us."

I was terminally embarrassed and the children and grandchildren looked at me like I was a 'rescue dog'.

Hiram Jr. was the first to speak.

"Well, if mom and dad are willing to feed you, wash you and make sure your shots are up to date...." the Crowd broke down in gales of laughter and my embarrassment escalated.

"We had basically this conversation on the way here, and I see that my status has not changed- yet," I said. Hiram looked at me.

"Told you you were toast. You just didn't listen."

We left for the big house with # 2 son saying he was hungry.

"Of course", said his father, "as always." More laughter.

A huge early dinner was set up in the huge eat in kitchen. I was immediately sucked into the family. The grandchildren were curious as to what I did for a living, what was I doing in Sturgis, did I have a motorcycle, did I have a family.

The two lovebird sons were silently checking me out. Ever wonder what it was like being grilled silently by a State Cop AND a prosecuting attorney? I volunteered innocent snippets of information. But I knew it was coming. And I was right. After the meal and the dish's were being cleared, Hiram Sr. rose and picked up his Coors (YUCK) and led the way to the back door and onto the patio. Two large Northern Red Oaks, each about 40 feet tall, shaded the flagstones. We pulled up chairs and gathered around in a close semi-circle.

Let the interrogation begin.

***********************************************************************************

Meanwhile, back in Washington D.C.

Special Agent Lance Fresno hung up the desk phone and looked across at his two visitors. Alexander Colton and Timothy Ross were sitting across from the agent's desk, drinking coffee, and waiting for the update on the Starne's case, which was rapidly going- nowhere.

"Well, the ballistics report came back just as we figured it would. The gun used in the shooting of one Jeremy Hun Chang came back and there's nothing. It 's not in any files or data bases. The ball gag and zip-ties are a bust. You can get them just about any where. They did find some DNA on the ball gag, but it was in conclusive. If you take the letter and DVD we got from Micheal's attorney, it would appear that this is the one who killed Mike's daughter. I have no reason to doubt it, but the evidence is pretty flimsy.

"However, the heroin found in his apartment and the hypodermic needles are a match and from the same batch as the ones we found in Samantha's apartment. We sweated him and he folded. He rolled up on Lorna Duschense and her law firm and implicated the Chinese Embassy.

"Then he rolled on Jason Wilkes, but we already had the DVDS that Mike sent us and his grand jury testimony. Not that it did us any good, but it was just icing on the cake. But SOMEONE took Mr. Wilkes out. Normally I would be looking at the Chinese, but whoever it was didn't get to him until after we had everything we needed. Unfortunately, the Asst. Attorney General cut a deal and he almost would have walked. Not that it will do him any good. He did give us enough to nail Lorna Duschense; she will not be getting a deal. Unless you consider being sent to Super-Max in Arizona a deal.

"So here we are, no closer to knowing what to do other than institute a nationwide manhunt for a broken man who I would consider a hero. The rifle used to take out Wilkes was a non-entity, untraceable. We don't know where it had been the last 15 years. We have all Mike's weapons, even his service piece, and nothing matches anything.

"What about the truck?," asked Ross.

"What about the truck?," said Fresno. "It's Mike's, alright. We went over it with a fine tooth comb. Nothing. Just what you would assume would be in a guy's daily driver."

Then the phone buzzed.

Agent Fresno, it's Di Julio, line three."

"Hang on, it's the field team."He picked up the phone and spoke.

"Yeah? There is, huh?... No go ahead and process it....... Thanks..... O.K., keep me advised." He hung up.

"That was Adam Di Julio, one of my best." He chuckled. "They found a hidden 'cabinet' if you will, behind the gun safe. Hidden by the safe. It was on an electric sled and was accessed by a switch on the bar. It appears that's where Mike kept his 'secret stash'. All that was left was some 50 cal ammo and some 380 rounds. He must have taken everything else.

"We looked at surveillance videos from the fast food restaurant and saw who we assumed was Micheal walking away from the truck, but that was it. We're canvassing the area, but so far nothing.

"That's not doing us any good. We know who, we just don't know anything else. And quite frankly several of my agents are just going through the motions. Can't say as I blame them...."

Alex shook his head.

"I understand their feelings, Lance, but this still a criminal investigation."

He sighed. "It's just one I wish we didn't have to do."

***********************************************************************************

Back in Palo Cedro

The 'interrogation' was just getting started. Hiram took the last sip of his beer (gotta get the guy some Bud) and placed the bottle on the ground next to his chair.

"All right, boys, I know you have questions. You get to ask them and John has to, or doesn't have to answer them. This could get ugly, but it is the price for his continuing to live here.

"What he didn't tell you in front of everyone else was that he's the guy you've been hearing about on the t.v. I think, though, that there is more to it then meets the eye. Jethro, I'm sure you have a few legal questions, so it's on you, son."

His son looked at his glass of iced tea. Some how he figured he would need to keep his wits about him. His older brother was also drinking, but he too had a Coors. He also had a higher tolerance for alcohol but it was only his second one.

"Mr. Dorne, who are you, really. If you're the man on the t.v., the name John Dorne has never been mentioned."

"It's Micheal Starne, isn't it, Mr. Dorne?". This from his older brother. "The FBI sent out a BOLO for Micheal Starne. Armed and dangerous. Approach with caution."

Hiram Jr.'s eyes locked on mine, but no judgment-...yet.

Jethro's eyes never left Mike's face. Mike fidgeted and looked at the ground. 'Right to the crux of it', he thought. 'There's a cop over there and a D/A sitting across from me and I'm sure that there is enough muscle amongst the three of them that I'm pretty much screwed. Oh, well, I never thought I'd get this far. I did every thing I set out to do. I guess it's over.'

He sighed and raised his eyes.

"You got me. Let me tell you my story and than you can arrest me."

He spilled his guts and told them everything. His kidnapping, the torture (such as it was), Lorelei's betrayal, her adultery, his kidnapping, the death of his daughter, the confrontation with Jeremy Hun Chang, his leaving him bleeding and possibly dying, and the execution of Jason Wilkes. As he spoke, he seemed to feel a weight lift. A peace descended on him. Hiram Sr. softened as his sons had never seen before. He leaned forward and grabbed the man's arm and squeezed. He had seen this in 'Nam before and it brought back memories.

Mike finished his tale with tears in his eyes. For the first time since he had looked down at his daughter's face he was crying. "My baby!", was all he said.

It was silent on the patio. Deathly silent. Hiram Jr. spoke first.

"For what it's worth, Mike, Chang didn't die. He lost both lower legs, below the knees, and both testicles, but the FBI got to him in time. He was arrested and charged and is in Federal custody. He seems to be singing, but according to what I learned, admittedly not much, he implicated the Chinese in his torture. Not YOU."

"Don't care," I murmured.

Hiram Jr. resumed with, "Well, from what I can see, the only real crime is splattering shit for brains shit for brains all over that patio. That's my opinion as a man, husband, and father. As a cop, murder is still murder. So that's where we are. Now, we know who John Dorne is. So as far as I know," sneaking a sideways glance at his dad and brother, "No harm, no foul." He sat back and said nothing else.

His brother stared at him. 'Thanks for nothing, Hi.!' using Hiram's nickname in his mind.

He turned back to their guest.

"My brother seems to be all right with the circumstances. And as a husband, father, and a man, I agree with him. To a certain extent. But as the Assistant District Attorney for Shasta County, I don't know if that's a viable alternative." He stared at his father, then at his brother, then at Mike.

His father sighed, reached down for his empty bottle, and rose.

"I need another beer. Any body else??"

Hi held out his empty bottle and both Jethro and I handed him our glasses. He adjourned to the kitchen.

Entering the Lovebird kitchen, he encountered a group of women, four to be exact. His wife and two daughters-in-law had been joined by their daughter, the nurse practitioner. As he approached, what resembled a defensive huddle on 4th and 2 in a close game broke and confronted him. They were much better looking than football players, but the determination was the same. You get the idea.

Hiram continued to the refrigerator and got four more beers. Than he rinsed the two glasses, filled some ice, and refilled them with iced tea. He turned and found he had been hemmed in by four of his favorite women. 'What did I do to deserve this, Lord? Whatever it was, I am deeply sorry, and I promise to never do it again', he thought. He plastered a smile on his face and said, "Ladies? What can I do for you??"

His daughter, Penelope Anne, smiled at her father.

"Sorry, daddy, I got here as quick as I could. Mother says you have a surprise for us. What, or who, did you find on your trip to New York?"

Hiram studied his daughter and smiled.

"We are not through speaking yet. When we have this all hashed out, we will all sit down and it will all be explained. Until then," and he fixed his wife with a severe stare, "let it be. It is for everyone's good."

His wife started to speak but the look on his face made Penney, for the first time in her life, stop and stare, mouth open in shock.

"NO, PENNEY, NOT YET!!"

He turned and went back out side.

Penney Anne shook herself and turned to her mother and sister-in-laws.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?? I've NEVER seen dad like this."

Her mother turned to her.

"It's a long story, dear. Let's go and talk, girls."

Meanwhile, back outside, the three young men were still sizing each other up.

Finally, Mike spoke, looking at Hiram Jr. and Jethro.

"Look, guys, I can't put you in this position. I didn't mean to. It wasn't my intention. You have been nothing but kind to me without knowing what you were signing up for. Please, arrest me or let me run. You can still plead ignorance about who I am, even just denying that I was ever here."

Jethro shook his head.

"Not my call. Dad will pass judgment. I'm not saying it won't go just like you said, but it's not my call. Hi??"

"He's right, Mike. I'm not going to go against my father. Besides," he shrugged, "something tells me even HE isn't calling the shots."

Jethro's eyes widened.

"MOM??"

"Wouldn't bet against it. I think when it is all laid out that she will still have the final say. I wonder if this is another 'lost puppy' situation? Mom loves those. Dad, not so much. If that's the case, Mike, you may want to think about calling the FBI now, let Hi arrest you, I can call Virginia and get the extradition started, and you can 'escape' into custody unscathed."

He was grinning as he said it and Hiram Jr. was covering his mouth trying not to explode in laughter. He was beginning to like this guy and he got a feeling his mom and dad too. His brother was having a field day, a lot like when they would gang up on their youngest brother when they growing up.

Not so much anymore as Micheal had shot up to 6' 3 1/2" and 265 lbs. And he looked it. But he was mild mannered and a push over. He was married to 5' 1" little thing of Mexican descent, Rosita, and they had three adorable children, and he would do anything to protect them. But enough of this.

Hiram Sr. returned with the drinks and regained his seat.

"O.K., fellas, what do you have? Any 'earth-shattering' insights as to what we should do? Anything I can use to save him from your mother's nefarious scheme, and spare Mary from his clutches??"

Hi and Jethro recoiled and looked at each other.

"OH, SHIT!!" they both said at the same time.

"Yeah, your mother is scheming again. Our 'lost puppy' is your mother's next project."

He turned to Mike.

"Sorry, Mike."

Mike looked at the three men sitting in front of him.

"Okay, level with me. Is this woman so bad, so horrible, so damaged that everyone is scared to death of the scenario?....OR IS IT ME??"

The three Lovebird men looked at each other and then Hiram Sr. shrugged and sighed.

"A little bit of both, Mike.

"Mary is cute. She is 31 yrs. old, 5' 6", brown hair, brown eyes." He hesitated. "She lost one eye, her right one. She has a daughter, Jasmine. She's 7 years. old, almost 8.

"The young woman is a rock. Slightly cracked in places because of her trauma, but surprisingly solid emotionally.......Most of the time."

Jethro spoke up.

"She has been through a lot, Mike. The rape, the beating, the abandonment afterwards, but she put it all behind her and stormed through. Her daughter was her anchor. She lives here, on the 'farm' and she has a job in town. She is well liked, loved even. People take care of her."

"What does she do?," I asked.

Hi answered.

"She is the asst. head Librarian at the city library. My kids and most of the other kids in town think she is the greatest thing since P B and J," he chuckled.

I thought for a moment.

"So here I am, a spy, a killer, and a Federal fugitive, and Penny is trying to fix me up with a SAINT??"

Hi laughed, Jethro howled and slapped his knee, and Hiram Sr. smiled.

"Like I said, son, you're toast," snickered Hiram.

**********************************************************************************

We sat for a while and commiserated on my state of affairs. I was beginning to wonder if I was better off staying free or not. My new friends were having a great time at my expense, laughing and joking at my plight, and finally subsiding into reflection on my status. Hiram Sr. brought us back to the reality of life.

"All right, guys, we need to figure out what we are going to do about Mike's future." He looked around at his sons and Michael and let his words sink in for a moment. He turned to Jethro.

"Jet, the man is an accused felon. He killed someone. Whether the prick deserved it or not, he killed someone. And I for one don't condemn him for it. I probably would have done the same. But he broke the law."