The Line of Succession Vol. 02 - The Divorce

Story Info
The Second part of Caleb's and the Crown Princess's romance.
9.9k words
4.75
6.2k
16

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks for reading. Again, my first Sci-Fi submission.

There is some background, a little explanation, and some history. I rewrote history as it is Sci-Fi and my story. I also tried to make the legal stuff sound good, and be correct- for my world. Maybe it should be like that in the real world. Hope it all works for you folks. The Bear thanks you. Very, very little sex. Next part, I promise.

Volume 2, Chapter 1- Back Story

The Larocyn broke out of hyperspace on the coordinates of the old planet Saturn's orbit. The planet had been destroyed by the combined efforts of the old Russian Federation's Space Fleet and the Chinese Celestial Navy. They had been warring for almost seventy-five years over the minerals and chemicals found on Saturn when one or the other's fleet hit enormous pockets of chemical gasses on the surface. The resulting cataclysm destroyed the planet and wiped out 95% of both countries' space forces gathered for the fight over the planet.

Thankfully, the gas giant Jupiter shielded the inner planets from the vast majority of the destruction. The United States Space Force was busy patrolling and protecting the U.S.'s interests on the Earth's moon, and the asteroid belt, so they were not engaged at Saturn.

But it took more than 400 years for the planet to recover. China and Russia both fell into economic ruin, and social turmoil that they did not recover from, and slipped to 3rd and 4th rate world powers status respectively. The American government prospered, but soon was caught up in a world 'lack' of politics and was soon replaced by the existing Monarchy-with a democratic bent.

The laws of the time were replaced, by a peaceful revolution, with a much more sensible and logical group. Everything from tax rates to divorce and custody regulations, due process of law, voting laws, and citizenship regulations. While still governed by the Constitution of 1776, a much more sensible and equitable face emerged in society. The exploding economy and the expanding presence in outer space greatly enhanced the stability of the Earth and Moon-based populations. The 'Empire', as they came to be known, started immense terraforming projects on Mars, and built large military space stations out in the Saturn orbit area, as protection.

Then, the Lomaxxes arrived, looking for slaves and plunder. The attacking fleet deployed around the home planet but neglected to account for the moon. When they sprung their attack, they were hit by the United Nations Space Force (formerly The United States Space Command). The Lomaxxes were severely outnumbered, but their weapons were superior. As the battle raged, Earth took more and more hits from space, further annihilating the mainland Asian countries.

Just when it looked like Earth could handle no more destruction, and was looking to sue for peace, the Bassin battle fleet arrived. It was small, compared to both the other two, but they were loaded for bear, having chased the Lomaxxes across four star systems.

The Bassins were basically a peaceful race, although they were a warrior civilization. And they were relentless. They were tracking the Lomaxxes after the destruction of three of the Bassin's home planets. They were consumed with revenge and went about ship-to-ship combat as well as hand-to-hand. Immediately the United Nations Space Forces sided with the newcomers and tipped the scales decidedly.

There were no prisoners.

It was merciless and bloody. Atrocities were the rule, and it was over quickly.

But when it was over, two small space fairing races were fast friends and allies. The Earth was extremely grateful and made room on several Lunar colonies, vast areas of Earth itself, and Terra-formed areas of Mars. For their part, the Bassins gave the Earth -- faster than light travel. The expansion into deep space began with a bang. It was also when the United Nation's Space Forces became the Imperial Trionian Empire's Navy.

Earth felt that given they were not the only intelligent species out there, they needed to get out and make their mark. AND QUICKLY!!

This took place approximately 750 years after the explosion of the Planet Saturn. History rolled along, not without its bumps and wiggles, but steadily and methodically. 1400 more years passed, and here we are.

VOLUME 2, CHAPTER 2 - Divorce and Romance- Trionian Style

Year of the Empire, 4572 Actual

So, the Larocyn broke out of warp on the far side of Jupiter. They were met by the Home Fleet of the Trionian Empire-- all 350 of them.

Also, because of freedom of the press, Newsies were vying to be the first to cover the arrival and broadcast-- they didn't know what to the expanding kingdom. (Typical newsies!)

The Larocyn was met by an Imperial Cruiser- Class ship, the IMS Shepherdess. Sleek, fast, and formidable, she was the fastest of the newest class of Naval craft. She rendezvoused with the Larocyn and several individuals boarded the Dreadnought. Two returned and the Shepherdess departed for deep space, mission Ultra Top Secret.

A bit of info- Faldavian class Dreadnoughts were the older ships of the line. They had been replaced by Morrison Class Dreadnoughts. They were huge, longer, and more massive than 20th-century aircraft carriers.

Six of the ships were kept for use by the Imperial Branch of the Government- the Larocyn, the Noriss, the Bellplaine, the Androw, the Yamato, and the Enterprise. The Larocyn had been accompanied on the cruise by the Bellplaine and the Enterprise, as well as several Destroyer Class warships.

Security was tight, and as soon as Shepherdess left, Task Force Imperial 1 (as it was now known) left for the inner solar system.

##################################################################################

The Shepherdess had left on board the Larocyn Vice-Admiral James Matoocos, from the Navy JAG Bureau and attorney Roger Tremaine. They met up with Major Caleb Lomer and began to construct his divorce challenge countercase. They were not too concerned with the divorce petition and were more interested in the 'other' case. They intended to slide into the case against the traitorous military and civilian concerns that had precipitated the attack at Folsom, resulting in the deaths of more than 5000 personnel, including the Emperor and the Crown Prince.

The Major was relieved of his guardianship of the Crown Princess and again 1st Lieutenant Sanchez was her guardian. Captain Alvin Dowss was moved to the Empress's detail and put in charge, being sworn to secrecy. He was also fiercely loyal to the Major and the rest of the unit.

The two lawyers sequestered themselves with the Major and grilled him mercilessly about the attack and the ensuing mop-up. They wanted any details and they went over and over the stories, looking for tie-ins.

Caleb was a little concerned about the path the inquiry was taking.

"Major, we have enough evidence to have this action thrown out before they have the time to address the court. But we need it to start the ball rolling as they say. It will let us get the court involved in the action at Folson," explained the Admiral.

"We know you have a vested interest in the out-come of the action against the Crown, and we appreciate this fact," said the Vice-Admiral with a small grin. "We want to make the biggest impact on the public when we drop the bomb on them. With your help, we can do this."

James Tremaine started then. "Caleb, we've got the goods on your current wife. There will be enough testimony against her, and for you, that it will make you a hero, and the object of a lot of compassion for your situation. We are going to take them to the cleaners. You know about the legal principle of "Restitution" in divorce and civil actions. We are set to file on the grounds of adultery, and perjury, and we feel confident that the judge will rule favorably for us.

Now, as far as Restitution is concerned, here is what we are thinking. If you would like something different, just let us know."

Now, the Restitution the lawyers were referring to was an outgrowth of the legal reforms from the last 1400 years. People were tired of many of the inequities of civil law, and society took the opportunity to right some wrongs. There were many 'starts and stops, as it was, along the way, but it was done legally and fairly. (Isn't THAT something?)

The rule of law was implemented fairly in many civil and criminal cases. The premise was that it was unfairly biased against mainly the male population, but, many times, against females. The instituted changes tried to be gender and color-blind, and as civilization expanded, species blind.

It did not sit well with many, hence the 'starts and stops' with changing the laws. But after 1400 years the courts and the legislature had made great strides. One of the changes was the "Restitution" punishments.

In a criminal case or civil case, when the guilty party was determined, the punishment could be severe. No longer was "alimony, or spousal support" allowed as a matter of course. Adultery, if proven, was considered in divorce cases. Both ways. Many argued that this led to many cases of homicide rather than letting the convicted party argue the moral case.

With the preponderance of evidence generated, Major Lomer would make a good case for "Restitution" in his damages. And he could push for decent punishment, by law.

So Caleb needed to determine who was going to get what punishment. We settled on 100,000,000 Cr against Lorna and her father, based on her promiscuous behavior, the existence of the one-sided prenup agreement he had been forced to sign, and the wealth of the two individuals involved. There were also at least 14 individuals that they could document her carnal indiscretions. It was later determined that the number was 20, including her attorney.

The evidence was cast in stone. All of them were aware that she was married; 10 of them were married, and 8 with children. Her lawyer was violating several different ethical and legal statutes and thumbing his nose at Caleb both in bed and out of it. So they agreed to 10,000,000 Cr against 19 of them and offered legal representation to the aggrieved spouses in exchange for more damning testimony against Lorna et al. (If that was possible.) That left only Conrad Doughy. Caleb had special plans for him.

***********************************************************************************

The Larocyn achieved planetary orbit around Earth and docked at the Imperial Space station. The Major and his legal team disembarked and went planet side and got rooms in the BOQ quarters at the New Bethesda Space Port. Two days later they left for the Naval Headquarters facility at Washington Spaceport Naval Yard, got rooms at the BOQ there, and met up with Command Sergeant-Major Cwasir Taolid.

Both Marines were happy to see each other. Cwasir said he had taken leave and was there to support his friend. He was happily married, to one Yoin Glassu. They had been married, or 'joined' as Bassin culture referred to it, for 17 years. Not only that, they were the parents of 12 offspring. Caleb was the 'protector', as Bassin society referred to as the Godfather, of Cwasir's 11th child, a son, who was 6 years old.

Caleb often hoped that one day, his life would mirror his good friend's.

Cwasir stood 6' 6" tall, and was at least 270 lbs. His diminutive wife was only 4' 11 1/2" tall and weighed maybe 100 lbs., soaking wet. But she ruled the roost and was madly in love with Cwasir, and Cwasir adored her. She was the eldest daughter of one of the ruling houses of Bassin society.

They convened a lunchtime strategy session and worked until dinner time. Breaking for supper, they resumed until 2130 hours, and then called it a day. Tomorrow would be the first day in court.

***********************************************************************************

Day 1- Superior Imperial Court, Washington District

At 0900 hours, Vice-Admiral Matoocos, Roger Tremaine, Caleb Lomer, and Cwasir Taolid entered Courtroom 121-B, Superior Imperial Court for the Washington District. They made their way to the defense table, at the Judge's right. Cas sat behind me, put his left hand on my shoulder, and reached for my right hand, shaking it. Two Imperial Military Police investigators joined him.

"We got this, my brother. Don't worry."

Ten minutes later, Lorna Lomer, nee Golan, her father Reginald Golan, her attorney Conrad Doughy and the 'cast of thousands' hangers-on and assistant attorneys and paralegals, along with the two principal partners, the Honorable John McGregor, Esq., and the Honorable Richard Lewis, Esq. entered and made their way to the plaintiff's table, on the Judge's left. Trailing them was a team consisting of forensics experts, P/I's, and security people. (Cast of thousands.)

Caleb was slightly in awe and worried that they may have underestimated the enemy. The Vice-Admiral grinned, and Roger chuckled and said to Caleb, "We got them right where we want them."

'I certainly hope so', thought Caleb. He had the same feeling he had had in the Holden Embassy, as the ambush unfolded and Cwasir took two rounds in the abdomen. He had made peace with his Creator and then put it all aside and turned the tide on the Cromen rebels and conducted a fighting 'advance to the rear' and withdrew. (Everyone knew that Marines didn't retreat, so it must have been an 'advance to the rear'.) It was where he was wounded also and Cwasir had donated his blood and several square inches's of his scaly hide to save Cal's hide.

The bailiff rose and barked, "ALL RISE! The Superior Imperial Court for the Washington District of the Trionian Empire is now in session, on the matter of the dissolution of marriage between Lorna Golan Lomer, plaintiff, and Major Caleb Lomer, defendant. The Honorable Rosemarie Banckquo presiding. GOD SAVE THE EMPRESS!!"

"GOD SAVE THE EMPRESS!" the courtroom responded.

We stood as Her Honor entered and bowed to the picture of the Empress hanging on the wall behind her bench. She turned and ascended to her bench and sat down.

"Be seated", she intoned.

"Are the parties ready?" she asked. Lorna's lawyer/boyfriend stood.

"Conrad Doughy, representing Lorna Lomer, your Honor. We are ready to proceed."

Roger Tremaine stood, and spoke.

"Your Honor, if it please the court, Major Lomer has made a counter-proposal to his as of now, WIFE. We have not heard from her or counsel regarding the proposal and we would like the Court to inquire as to the status of this proposal." He turned his smile to Doughy.

The Judge was reading the proposal and it was silent for a moment. It was only one and a half pages, and was pretty cut and dry.

"Mr. Doughy, this seems like a pretty fair offer, with only a little inducement to settle." She raised her eyes to James and asked, "Are you sure about this??"

"Absolutely, your Honor. We feel this is a ridiculous attempt to besmirch the Major's reputation and destroy his career. Therefore, we have tendered the proposal to give Mrs. Lomer the opportunity to settle this travesty. If she persists in this case with these charges, we will be amending the suit to reflect charges of adultery, perjury, and fraud against her and several co-conspirators, including her presiding council."

If it was possible, Roger's smile got wider as he leveled it straight at Doughy.

Lorna's lawyer lost most of his bravado and the smirk sort of evaporated.

Lorna's father coughed and whispered to Conrad "Get on with this; they have nothing." Conrad's senior partners traded looks and swallowed hard.

Conrad's complexion started to go south. Lorna went pale and she started to hyperventilate. She turned to her father with panic-strickenen look on her face.

Caleb realized that his legal team were a sight better than he had thought they were. He grinned and then cleared his mind and expression and stared straight ahead.

The Judge got everything rolling again.

"Counselor, are you with us? How do you respond to the amended charges?"

Doughy gulped and turned to the judge and said that their position had not changed.

The Judge turned to Roger Tremaine and said,"Are you prepared to proceed with your amended plea, counselor?"

"Absolutely, your honor." His grin would make you sick, like you had eaten too much chocolate cake. (Is that possible??)

"Alright then, gentlemen. Let's proceed. Let the record show the amended counter-charges. Mr. Doughy, you may proceed."

"Your Honor, we call Lance Corporal Dawes to the stand."

Timothy Dawes was one of Caleb's Marines. He was an exemplary recruit, from the planet Souy in the Regulas system. He was an orphan who had gotten in trouble with the law, and been given the option of jail, or enlisting. He chose military service and seven years later, he was a decorated combat veteran with the rank of Lance Corporal.

He sat in the gallery with three other marines, enlisted ranks, and Gunnery Sergeant Seamus O'Hara. Cal was not aware of the guys sitting there in their dress khakis but the Vice-Admiral smiled at him and said "Deep breath. Don't sweat it."

So Timothy rose and approached the witness stand, executed a parade ground bow to the Empress's picture, and stood in the dock. The bailiff came and swore him in, and asked him to state his name, rank, and unit for the record

"Lance Corporal Timothy Dawes, IM 5456653341, currently attached to the 13th Imperial Marine Strike Force."

The bailiff nodded and told him to be seated.

Conrad approached the witness box, and started his questioning.

"Corporal, do you know Major Lomer?"

"I'm sorry, sir, it's LANCE Corporal Dawes.

"Yes, sir. He is my commanding officer."

Doughy gulped hard, and straightened his tie.

"And do you know of his 'marital situation'?"

Timothy turned and looked at me. "I know he is being sued for divorce by his 'wife'." He swiveled his gaze to lock onto Lorna's face with malice in his glare. "But I am not privy to his personal and private state of affairs."

Doughy back-pedaled a minute. "But weren't you on the IMS Palladin when you called at the planet Rosten, for shore leave?"

Rosten was the pre-eminent 'pleasure planet in the Galaxy, having exceptional weather to go with it's beautiful beaches, mountain peaks, forests, and casinos, cosmopolitan cities and luxury resorts and villas. Oh, yeah, it was also a cornucopia of bodily pleasures and libidinous pursuits. (Translated: unlimited sexual excesses, nothing prohibited. It stretched the imagination what you could do on Rosten- for enough money.)

"Yes, sir, I was."

"And wasn't Major Lomer attached at that time?"

"Yes, sir, he was commanding officer of the 13th."

Doughy smirked again and turned to stare at Caleb, as he phrased his next question.

"And didn't the Major join in the 'festivities' on Rosten when the entire unit went planet-side for a little 'fun'? Wasn't he there partaking in the sordid destruction of his marriage vows?"

Tim looked at me, grinned, then cleared his expression and stared at Conrad Doughy as he answered.

"No sir, he did not."

Doughy's head snapped around so fast Caleb thought for sure there would be medics in attendance to treat him for spinal trauma. He resembled an ambushed terrorist on Beta 26, when we went in to save the local colonists from massacre.

Dead on his feet.

"Corporal, didn't you make a sworn statement about this 'escapade' to our investigators?"

"Again, SIR, it's Lance Corporal. Got it??"

The Vice-Admiral chuckled and whispered, "Now it gets embarrassing -- for them."

Doughy's completion paled. He turned to the platoon of investigators who were rummaging through reams of paper reports, and checking tablets for reports. They handed him printouts from their laptops and he turned to face the Lance Corporal. His face brightened.