The Lineage Ch. 03

Story Info
Arriving in Underhill, the elf is introduced to a new world.
9.7k words
4.69
5.8k
10

Part 3 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/30/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The travelling pair were awoken by a loud slamming sound from above.

"Alright ya two lovebirds! Rise and shine, your kingdom awaits ya!"

The two stirred and Zenna yawned loudly. Marcus reached for his belongings and his blade, placing them back at his waist.

"I cannot believe it has been two whole years already... considering how long I've been gone there has to be at least a few changes here and there. You should look out the window, Underhill is a wondrous sight."

After blinking her eyes a few times, Zenna opened the curtain on the window and was blinded by the morning sun. She adjusted to it and became awestruck at her surroundings. They were passing through deep farmlands which grew every crop imaginable - the fields stretched far beyond the horizon, with a few cottages dotting the landscape. People just beginning their workday were peppered amongst the greenery.

As they proceeded closer to the city, it became apparent why Underhill was a superior nation. Its gleaming alabaster-white stone walls stood proud, hundreds of feet tall and seemingly as powerful as a mountain. The marvelous construction went far as the eye could see in either direction, but eventually bent backwards and met up on the other side of the city, forming a perfect circle. Towers covered its peak every so often, giving uniformity to its strength. Looking closely, Zenna could see guards adorning the battlements.

"Good to see we have not fallen to a foreign foe while I was away," Marcus spoke with a laugh, "but I doubt any country would be foolish enough to try. Not since Sunborng, at least..."

The wide dirt road the carriage travelled on broke into neat stonework and was littered with other carriages, horse riders, and those unlucky enough to have neither, either making their way in or out of the city. The wooden gates stretched nearly as tall as the walls themselves, and although it was mainly for show, it emphasized the might Underhill wielded. The kingdom's crest adorned a banner stretched across the top of the giant door. A smaller, more aptly-sized door was built into the larger one for daily usage.

"Woooaahh! Stop right there, you!" the coachman called, reigning in his horses. The carriage came to a halt in front of the gate and a pair of guards approached.

"Business?" one of the guards asked quickly with a voice laced with disinterest. It would be a question he would ask dozens of times today, and he would hear dozens of menial, pointless answers.

"Not mine to say, man in the back would know," the carriage driver motioned behind himself.

"Let me talk to him," said Marcus, motioning Zenna away from the window. The guard approached the window and looked in to see the pair. His eyes darted slowly between the two, clearly enjoying looking at the elf, but also more interested in speaking to Marcus.

"My name is Marcus Throydill, I have returned from a two-year journey, sent about by none other than our lord, King Trinas."

The guard raised an eyebrow at the man, unrecognizable under his overgrown beard and hair, "do you have any proof of this?"

Marcus stood from his seat and opened the carriage door. The guard stepped back, allowing Marcus to drop onto the ground nearby. As he came to face the guard, Marcus could see the details click in the man's mind. His eyes light up like lanterns, growing massive instantly.

"Indeed! You are the war hero, Marcus Throydill! I would know that armor anywhere sir, I served in the war right alongside you! I was even there when you struck down that Sunborng bastard a decade ago! Please forgive me for holding you up and give the king our best for me! We all appreciate your service, sir!" the guard saluted Marcus and motioned for his men to allow them through.

"Thank you, carry on soldier," Marcus nodded to the man.

Marcus reentered the cart and they rode through the gates and into town. Zenna was amazed at the sheer intricacy of the city. It was clearly an old place, built by hands with a sense of pride hardly rivaled today. But the modern inhabitants respected their metropolis with buildings just beginning to grow taller as horizontal space inside the walls became a luxury. The buildings themselves had stood for so long they became weathered by the sun while vines grew along the brickwork. An artificial aqueduct passed from one side of the city to another, causing them to go over a bridge as they travelled down a street. Music and cheer echoed along city blocks until it filled her ears. A market which sold every food imaginable wafted its concoction of potent scents through the air, allowing the blue-haired elf to imagine tasting the nourishment. Her mouth watered a bit, nearly wanting to jump out of the cart and sample one of everything she saw.

People of all races passed by each other as equals without a second glance, and overall the metropolis had a far less threatening atmosphere as compared to where she met Marcus. It seemed to be an entirely different world. Marcus could see the amazement on her elven face and allowed her time to take it all in.

Still looking out the window, Zenna spoke, "So, you are some kind of local hero here? That guard respected you greatly for those you killed during your service."

Marcus sighed, "no one becomes a hero by killing people. I led our people to many victories, that is how I want to be known."

"But you did kill people?"

"Yes. Many."

Marcus, wanting to change the subject, turned his attention outside the window, "I want you to closely inspect the people. Study what you see, what you hear. What is missing?"

Zenna scanned the marketplace as the carriage continued deeper into the capitol city. The people all seemed normal, going about their daily lives, walking with friends or family. Her eyes saw humans, elves, a few spatterings of dwarves, even an orc or two - clearly peoples of all races were accepted here. People came and went from shops, restaurants, metalsmiths, carpenters, cobblers, guilds, butchers, mage guilds, and everything in between. Eyes lingering on a few specific individuals, she saw nothing out of the ordinary, but Marcus asked for something that was missing.

Now using her ears, she closed her eyes and processed each sound resonating off the city walls. People talked, ate, clanged metal, birds chirped, wind blew, and water flowed. All the normal sounds you would see in a city, except...

"...there's no children?"

It was true - there were no audible noises of children playing, laughing, running between buildings, or any other sounds one associated with adolescence. The latest people she could see were young adults such as herself.

"That's right. It looks as if there are still no children being born in our country, and the curse is still in effect. Do you believe me now?"

Zenna pulled in from the window, instead looking at Marcus. His demeanor was all business as he anticipated her answer.

"Well... I didn't doubt you... but I could have never imagined what it would actually be like."

"No country should go through this, especially not the one I call home."

"I'm sorry it had to happen to your country, knight."

"Please Zenna, do not apologize for things that are not your fault. I simply hope that the sights you are taking in now show you how much we need a savior such as yourself."

His choice of words made her blink, and a huff escaped her nose. Heat welled in her chest.

"And if I say no? What would you do with me then? Lock me in some dungeon and drain me into a husk?"

Her comment was jarring enough it made Marcus pause. He had to fight down the surprise on his face as she closely studied him - any indication that such an event would come to pass would be detrimental in his endeavor to convince the elf.

"No... gods no, Zenna, please never think of that again. I would never..."

"Okay, you would never. What about your king? If I truly am your last hope, he might have his guards take me away and have me enslaved again. That would make the whole show you have put on for me this far pointless. How can you sit there and promise me that would not happen?"

Marcus gulped audibly, watching her fiery eyes glow in the morning light, as if the flames within them wanted to swallow him whole. Yet, he felt humbled by the elf, as if commanded to answer.

"My lord Trinas would never do such a thing. It would disappoint him greatly if you chose not to help us, but he would never..."

"Every human I've known so far has either enslaved me or wanted to use me. Even you are no different, knight."

"I promise you will..."

She nodded negatively and turned her eyes back out the window. The conversation was clearly over, but Marcus still felt a gnawing sensation in his chest.

They rode in silence the rest of the way to the palace, which stood like a monolith over the empty city blocks that surrounded it. Pillars rose into the sky, not quite as tall as the walls protecting her, but still impressive, nonetheless. Ornate would be an understatement - the building nearly appeared to be constructed by the gods themselves as a symbol of appreciation for Underhill's centuries of accomplishments. On every face there were carvings of ancient kings and heroes that were the size of buildings. Guards stood everywhere there was an angle to do so, lightly armored and carrying a spear. The carriage began to slow as it approached steps which led up into the palace.

"I think this be far as I can take ya," the carriage driver started, bringing the carriage parallel to the steps and opening the door for the pair, "now, there's gotta be the matter of my payment? After all, I did agree to only partial payment up front... as you did promise tha' rest upon arrival..."

Marcus assisted the elf out of the carriage before turning to the man, "you will be well compensated, I assure you. I need only to go into the palace and..."

"Yeah, we gonna have a problem with that, see," the carriage driver interrupted Marcus, placing his hand between them to silence the knight. Zenna stepped aside, not wanting to become involved in the argument that was rapidly brewing.

"It looks like your name carries some weight around here. If I let you out of my sight, I'm sure these guards here gonna run me through if I try to collect. Gonna be needing it now, m'fraid."

Marcus huffed as he sized up the man. Clearly, he was smarter than he looked, and he had a point.

"Alright, I don't have your fee on me now, but let me go inside for a bit and bring it back out."

The coachman folded his arms, clearly unconvinced.

"I'll leave her," he motioned his arm towards Zenna, "here as insurance that I will return. Deal?"

Zenna looked at him, shocked at the proposition, but Marcus did not meet her gaze.

"Looks like that's the best I'm gettin'. Deal," the carriage driver shook hands with Marcus, "better be back out here quick, need to find a good stable for the night."

Marcus nodded and lumbered up the steps and into the palace. Zenna watched his back as he went, noting how the guards parted when they saw who he was. Travelling her eyes up further, the scale of the palace only became more and more apparent. Her head nearly spun trying to grasp its enormity - as if it could be the home for her entire village. The pillars and towers above the central mass of the building nearly seemed to pierce the sky itself. Zenna could not even imagine being so high above the ground, and it made her want lower herself. She took a seat on the bottom step as the driver went to work inspecting the carriage and his horses. The coachman finished after a few minutes and placed his back against the cart, causing dust to pour off it, having been caked on during their week of travel.

Zenna looked forward at the carriage while the man was looking down at her, not wanting to make eye contact with the hustling dwarf. The driver knew she was a stunningly beautiful creature, even if only her head was visible atop her bulging clothing. The way his eyes came to rest on her body, Zenna knew she was being undressed again but made no move to stop him.

What in the gods name is she smuggling under those garbs? Shit looks built for an ogre, not a pretty young thing like her, thought the driver to himself.

"I don't think we ever got to speakin, you and me. Name's Clayton. Yours, miss?"

Without looking up to him, she answered with simply her name.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful lass. What's your business with that knight, anyway? When he hired me, I know he asked fo' no questions, but seeing as our business is about to conclude...?"

"I'm... just travelling with him. We only met the same day he hired you."

"That so, huh?" Clayton looked over Zenna again, licking his lips as the wheels turned. Guards a short distance away only saw this interaction out of the corner of their vision.

"Well, tell ya what, seein' as we will be partin' ways soon, how'd you like to come with me soon as I'm paid? Journey like this rewards well, I could certainly show the young lady a good time."

Zenna considered this for a moment.

Wait, should I take this chance? To just leave? I'm free from being a slave now, I don't have to worry about that. What Marcus is asking is just... just insane! There's no way I would be able to help him anyway, right? He just wants my body; he doesn't actually care about me. All these humans are just disgusting pigs, not that this dwarf is any exception. I'll just go with this man after Marcus pays him, then he'll take me to his bed, then I'll just shock him with my monstrous, disgusting form like everyone else, and he'll run away crying. I'll be out on my own, but at least I'll be...

"Here," said Marcus sternly, tossing a heavy tied-shut bag to Clayton. He fell against the carriage as the momentum of the heavy sack caught him off guard. Zenna spun around to see Marcus had appeared behind her silently. He did not look down at her.

"ZOOOOWHEEEEE!" exclaimed Clayton loudly, pulling attention from everyone within listening radius. He was running his fingers through the bag, clanking heavily with wealth.

"This is... this has to be... nearly five times the fee we agreed upon! What's the big deal!?"

"Honest pay for honest work. You have done more for us than you'll ever realize. Now get lost."

"Damn right, I'm gone!"

Clayton placed the heavy sack into a trunk under his seat atop the carriage, slapping his horses sharply with the reins and he was off, leaving a trail of dust behind him. He had forgotten about the elf, but he would later lose all memory of her in a mountain of booze and womanly friends his newfound wealth would fetch.

"They're waiting inside, let's go."

Dumbfounded at the spectacle that just took place, Zenna watched Marcus take a few steps before standing herself. She looked once more out into the open but decided if she were going to make a run for it, it would be later on. Not that she had the ability to run, anyway.

They travelled up the steps and passed through the two-story high wooden doors of the palace, which were opened by guards and then closed after they passed through.

"Hope he didn't bother you too much," Marcus said, still walking briskly through the palace entrance. He looked over his shoulder as Zenna lagged behind him, noting she was still walking with an exaggerated short gait, as to not disturb her sensual body parts.

Zenna did not answer, she was too busy marveling at the insane height of the throne room, which seemed to encompass the entire palace from this view. If the outside of the building was impressive, the inside was astounding. Pillars rose tall as buildings on either side of them. Stained-glass windows depicting men battling every race imaginable, even dragons, shone beautifully as the sun passed through them, painting Marcus and Zenna all sorts of colors. The wood adorning everything was hand-carved and looked monumentally expensive.

They climbed another albeit smaller staircase and were met by the most impressive sight yet. Two cavernous tables ran the entire length from where they stood all the way to the throne. Seemingly hundreds of chairs stood empty, ready for a massive feast. The elf could not even believe that furniture on such a scale existed, and yet, here they were. Dark wooden tables the length of city blocks, lacquered as to protect the table from damage, and the people who sat at them from splinters. Only a few seats were occupied by people who spoke and ate, with a handful of them taking note of the pair as they passed. Marcus continued to lead Zenna forward as she witnessed the largest window she had ever seen sitting above the throne, a stained-glass masterpiece depicting a king and his queen atop a mountain surrounded by their subjects. The sun's rays were greatly amplified through it, causing a rainbow of color throughout the throne room. Guards stood in a semi-circle around the thrones, which were raised a few steps above the rest of the great hall.

Zenna took note of the king and queen sitting on the matching pair of wooden thrones. The king wore a small but brilliantly colored crown that was adorned with many jewels. He seemed to be about Marcus' age, if not slightly older. He appeared to be a large, densely-built man under his robes, but age had weathered down his once muscled body. The brown hair he possessed was combed neatly under this crown, and his sizable beard was the same. Small black eyes looked upon the pair with interest under thin eyebrows. The expression on his face was impossibly neutral.

Sitting beside the king was his wife -- the queen. She was a beautiful woman, a fact not easily overlooked. Her blonde hair would cascade down to her waist, were she standing, and sea-blue eyes combined with a light smile would fill anyone with a loving sensation. Her fair, undamaged skin contrasted to the king's tanned and weathered appearance. Although invisible under her robes, the queen possessed a tall and curvaceous body, with a sizable bust and child-bearing hips, but not even close to rivaling Zenna's body in any way. Her face was lightly wrinkled with age. The edges of her lips were slightly raised, even that small of a gesture made those in the room feel more contempt.

"My king!" Marcus shouted loudly, tossing his cloak off his armored self. He dropped down to one knee, placing both hands directly under his shoulders as he knelt in respect. There was a slight echo through the enormous room as his metal leg clanged against the floor. Zenna looked to him, unsure what to do, and Marcus nodded his head downward, indicating she should follow suit. She dropped quickly without thinking, but exclaimed a grimace when her package was squeezed between her knees. Rising back to standing, she performed an unprofessional bow instead, allowing her blue hair to drape forward over her reddening-with-embarrassment face.

"MARCUS!" boomed the king's voice, ricocheting off the walls of his palace. "Rise, my boy!"

Marcus stood and Zenna cranked her spine into vertical, twitching her head so the blue locks would come off her face. The noble couple stood in unison, but only the king descended while the queen simply smiled at them, her hands meeting at her waist. Marcus approached the king and Zenna trailed close behind, using the knight for protection. King Trinas brought his arms out to greet Marcus in a brotherly hug, the two men hitting each other's backs.

"It's been too long, my lord. I hope I find you well?"

The king released Marcus, speaking, "well as you left me!" the king laughed heartily. Marcus returned the favor.

"While I am dying to know what you have been up to, I also know you must be weary from your travels, so I will not hold you here for long. When they said the name Marcus Throydill, I flew down from my chambers faster than I've run in years! The guards could hardly keep up with me. I will have a feast for you tonight, and you can tell me all the details of your journey then. There will be rooms prepared for you and your... uh...?" the king looked around Marcus to Zenna, cowering lightly behind him.