The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sammy," I heard in the distance, "what's happening? Oh God, please don't die, baby."

I forced my mind deeper, struggling to the depths of what was possible. The woman was nothing, but the man behind her controlled things. I drove into his mind as my head throbbed. I grabbed what I could, everything that mattered that I could get quickly.

I smiled and sent my love to Teegan, trying to assure her I wasn't giving up. What flooded back was packaged heaven, so much more than I gave. I sucked in my breath and severed the link.

"They tapped your phone," I slurred, looking at my mom's image fading in and out. My head felt like it was full of cement. I tried to stand and found my limbs useless. I fell into something soft, and everything went black.

Chapter 19 - Sam

"None...No there's no more. I dumped everything. I swear, there's no more in the house." The voice was pleading and invading my dreams. I had a vague memory of its tone, something familiar I could barely place. My eyes were sluggish and fought the light when I tried to open them.

A person, the voice, was pacing at the foot of my bed. A woman, my mother, was talking on the phone. I closed my eyes when she turned, desperately trying to understand the call.

"Sammy," my mother called to me. My eyes shut too slowly. "I got to go, he's awake," she added before pocketing the phone. "Sammy, please wake up." She moved to the side of the bed and sat down. I felt her warm hand against my face. Memories, pleasant ones, came back to me. I was so much younger the last time I felt that hand's safe embrace.

"Hello," I said, trying to smile. My voice was raspy, and my lips felt chapped.

"Thank God," Mom sighed. She bent over me, hugging me close. It was strange how the past can swim back upstream and invade the present so quickly. I was ten again with a brief desire to never grow older.

"Who was on the phone?" I asked, trying to return to the now. Mom sat up with her sober smile. I had missed its strength. It was so...intentional.

"My sponsor, Pam" mom lost her smile and paused a moment, "I was thinking I needed a drink. She's been calling me every couple of hours." She bit her bottom lip, and her eyes went sad, "I'm still not good at it alone. Pam knows and made me pour out all your liquor." My eyes must have looked confused. "It's the stress," mom added quickly, "I didn't know when you'd wake up. Betty told me that it would be today, but the temptation was there. I'll pay you..."

"Don't worry about the booze," I interrupted, "you look good." Her smile returned, stronger this time. I received another hug that was as enjoyable as the first. "Betty was here?"

"She helped me get you into the house. I was going to call an ambulance, but she seemed to know what had happened." Mom looked at me and tilted her head, "What did happen? I barely understood what Betty was telling me."

It was hard to get started. I knew both my girls were okay for now. Fishing in the man's brain on the helicopter had told me how important their safety was. I also knew I was expendable, now ignorable. The one blessing is they didn't know how strong Teegan had become. They didn't know I could find her anywhere. They had brought Natalie along to limit the number of new people that would bond with Teegan. Natalie would be her 'governess' for lack of a better word. At least, they would have each other until I could get them back. The morons thought me an idiot, a petty criminal. I bet they didn't know where the Magna Carta was enacted.

I was on my third cup of coffee before my mom was satisfied with Teegan. I could tell she doubted some of what I said but trusted that I thought it was true. Most of her questions were about Natalie. The thought of a grandchild made her eyes sparkle.

"So the government took them," Mom summarized.

"No," I clarified, "it was a guy by the name of Douglas Corbett."

"The billionaire guy, Corbett Industries?"

"That's him," I replied, "he bonded with Teegan after she was born and sees her and her progeny as a profit stream. He somehow feels it is best for all."

"But you didn't see them. How do you know it was him?"

"I fished in one of his men's minds. The guy who orchestrated yesterday's kidnapping," I said, "it's what made me pass out."

"You can read minds?"

"Sort of. If I'm angry or determined enough," I replied, "it usually just feelings, and only those of Natalie and Teegan." I smiled at the memory of some of those feelings. "You can't do it for a living. You saw the side effects."

"So, we have to get them back," Mom said, "Betty told me not to call the police, but I don't think we have a choice."

"We?" I said, I was having trouble holding down my smile. I liked sober mom.

"If you think I'll let some rich asshole hurt my grandchild...well...I just won't," Mom said with more than a little fury.

"I don't think he has intention of hurting Natalie," I said calmly, "he needs Natalie to take care of Teegan. Though, I have no idea what will happen when he realizes Natalie is pregnant." I wondered if he would see another child as a hindrance to his plans, someone Natalie would care for more than Teegan. Maybe leverage. I shook off the thought. "We are going to get them back."

"So we call the police?"

"Nope," I shook my head, "they would push us to the side and take Teegan."

"But they would help us get Natalie back," Mom said.

"I need them both," I admitted, "we've adopted Teegan and no one is going to turn her into a science experiment." I knew my mother thought of Teegan as just another kid. I couldn't blame her, but it wouldn't stop me from insisting I have it all. Mom sighed, resigned to my decision.

"How about some breakfast, or lunch," Mom said, looking at the clock. It was nearing noon, and I was famished.

"I'll take either," I said. Mom's face lit up, and she began to dig into the refrigerator. I was about to help and then thought better of it. I think I was part of her recovery. She wanted to be a mother again, no matter how old I was. Besides, I was still exhausted, and she looked like she was having fun.

"I have to go to Portland," I told my mother as I was finishing the sandwich she made for me. She had sat and watched me eat, smiling the whole time. Nothing for herself, insisting she wasn't hungry.

"Is that where they took Natalie?" Mom asked. I nodded, chewing the last bit of the ham and cheese. Her smile disappeared when she continued, "you can't do this alone. They have helicopters, and God only knows how many men, Sammy. You have to call the police."

"I can't," I said, taking a deep breath, "I'll figure it out when I get there."

"When we get there," Mom said strongly. I shook my head.

"I need you to stay here for a day or so," I said, reaching out for her hand, "call your sponsor, Pam isn't it? Let her know I'm furious, but have no idea what to do. Let her talk you down from the stress, stop you from drinking."

"What? I'm going with you," Mom insisted, "what happens if you pass out again? I won't let you go alone."

"I need to surprise them," I insisted, "they're monitoring your phone. They have to think I'm here and out of options." I said it softly, trying not to ruin what little re-bonding we had done. I had no idea what I was going to do when I got to Portland, but having my mother along wasn't going to help. Having Corbett think I'm nowhere near would help.

A rumble of motors interrupted my mom's next protest. The sound increased as more engines pulled to the front of the cabin. I moved quickly, thinking Corbett had returned to remove me from the equation. My mind was working quickly, trying to figure a way to get my mother to safety. I cursed as the third women in my life was now at risk. I moved the window curtain slightly, attempting to peek unseen. I smiled, things weren't as grim as I had thought.

"We have guests," I told my mother. She was white knuckling the table with the same fears I had been thinking. She relaxed when she saw my smile as I went to the door.

"Betty!" I said when I swung open the door "and you brought friends." Betty kissed me cheek and waved to my mom. Mom was as relieved as I was.

"Good to see you up and about," Betty commented moving to my side, "This is Todd Renault," she said, introducing a rather large man with a serious demeanor. He had to be at least six-five with a set of Elvis sideburns that fit the leather jacket that must have cost two cows their hides. He held out his massive hand, and I shook it, noting it completely swallowed mine. "He started The Lifers about ten years ago and has been running it ever since." I could hear the pride in Betty's voice. The group meant a lot to her.

"Betty tells me you got a problem that needs fixing," Todd said. There was a confidence in his voice that made me think there was little he couldn't fix.

"It's a nasty problem," I admitted, "not likely to please the police, but I intend to correct it anyway."

"You took care of our sister once," Todd said, nodding toward Betty, "we're here to return the favor." I smiled, seeing the porch fill with four more vets with the same offer on their faces. I couldn't help but smile.

"I could use the help," I said, waving them all inside.

Betty quickly introduced my mother and me to the rest of the gang. Monty looked like one of those workout nuts and wore a smile that flashed charm. I was sure he thought himself God's gift to women. Thomas and Harry still wore Army sanctioned haircuts. They possessed that starched military stature most people would find uncomfortable. I could see they were mission oriented and didn't understand the word failure. Devlin was the only normal looking one of the bunch. He was about my size and had a relaxed look about him. I sensed he deferred to the others, but would follow them to Hell's gate if necessary.

It took about an hour to bring everyone up to speed. There was some apprehension in their eyes, but they trusted Betty, so they trusted me. I was pleased to learn that Harry was ex-Special Forces. We devised the first part of a plan and would figure out the rest when we got to Portland.

Natalie and Teegan had a small army.

Chapter 20 - Natalie

The first thing I felt was the drool running down my chin. I adjusted my lips and lifted my head, trying to slow the flow. I blinked quickly, then slowed as my eyes began to adjust to the light. I saw a lamp I didn't recognize. It was sleek and expensive, not something that belonged in a cabin.

Memories flooded back.

A man, short and stocky, sat in a chair opposite mine. Shirt and tie, but no jacket. My only thought was enemy. I tried to stand and found my hands well secured behind the chair. Panic seeped in, and I screamed as I attempted to kick at the calm figure in front of me. My calf knotted in pain. My feet were secured as well.

"I would like to untie you," the man said calmly. My breathing increased as my awareness became clearer. It was a sparse office, missing all the trappings of one that is in use. No papers on the desk, zero plants and no pictures of family members.

"Where is Teegan?" I demanded, the memory of the invasion now fully returned. My voice came out raspy, forcing me to cough and clear my throat. I could feel a cord chafing my wrists as I struggled to free them.

"The child is fine," the man stated, "it is our goal to return her to you." I stopped struggling. It didn't sound like a lie. I was sure it wasn't everything, but it seemed like he believed what he said.

"You kidnapped her to give her back?" I said incredulously.

"To be accurate," the man said, leaning forward, "you have been kidnapped. The child, who Mr. Donaldson and you kidnapped, has been returned to her rightful owner."

"Children aren't owned," I spat. The mere thought of his disregard of her rights swelled my anger.

"Semantics," the man said, shaking his head, "the fact of the matter is, she is safe with us, and we would prefer you to remain at her side." My head was still trying to shake off the fog. I relaxed in the chair and let the situation unfold. I couldn't fathom why they took me. I thought it in Teegan's best interest for me to remain at her side. Sam needed me here as much as Teegan needed me near.

"Sam!" I said loudly. I wondered if they took him as well. I remembered the fight in the cabin when I tried to stall for his return. I was outnumbered so quickly though I did make them pay.

"Mr. Donaldson is no longer in the picture," the man said and raised his hand at my shocked looked, "not dead, I assure you, just not involved anymore." Sam didn't know where we were. I didn't know where we were. I closed my eyes and slowed my breathing. When I opened them again, the man was still sitting, waiting patiently with a blank expression. I hated the way he had greased his jet black hair. Almost as if it was folded, not parted, across the top of his head. Hitler had a better stylist.

"Untie me," I demanded. The man chuckled. So he was human.

"It is my understanding you took out three trained men," the man said, "and with the child in your arms. I would hate to see what you would do to me with both hands free." His revelation took me by surprise. They had no idea that Teegan had lent me those skills. Knowledge was power.

"Please untie me," I said calmly. I added a smile which he matched. He leaned forward and placed his hands on my knees. My first thought was to try and bite his nose off. I shelved the plan. The whereabouts of Teegan had to be ascertained first. I tried to relax further.

"You are still tense," the man said, releasing my knees. "We'll talk a moment longer, and if I am assured of your compliance, I'll release you." He leaned back in his chair.

"When you are released, you will remain on the grounds," he said slowly, "it will be a condition of you seeing Esmeralda. Or Teegan of you prefer. Attempt to leave or contact the outside, and we'll revoke your rights, send you out and you'll never see her again."

"I can leave?" I asked.

"And never return," he said, nodding his head. He watched me as plans ran through my mind. I could find Sam and return. Contact the authorities as a last ditch maneuver. "We have the ability to move the child someplace you would never find her," he continued, "The child doesn't exist according to the government, so proving she was taken will be difficult. Sort of like a murder with no body."

"I can see her if I stay?" I clarified. He nodded.

They had no idea how much Teegan and I loved Sam. Had they known, I wouldn't be here. A smile crossed my face as I remembered the feelings that Sam could send to me through her. So much honesty. Nothing hidden in our feelings.

"I understand she is addictive," the man said, misinterpreting my smile, "you, and everyone concerned would be better off if you stayed and cared for the child." My smiled deepened. They wanted to limit Teegan's exposure. Control me and lessen the chance of collusion. I relaxed in the chair. Time was to my advantage.

"If you let me care for her, I'll agree," I lied. For the first time in my life, honesty seemed worthless. The man looked at me for a moment, trying to judge my truthfulness. I gave the best drunken addicted smile I could.

"If I cut the ties," the man clarified, "you're not going to get violent?"

"No, and please call me Natalie," I said calmly. He smiled and pulled a pair of wire cutters out of his pocket. He leaned forward and snipped near my left ankle and repeated it on the other. I let them stay where they were, giving him the confidence to rise and snip the plastic zip tie around my wrists. I pulled my wrists forward slowly to rub them.

"My name is Frank Sorenson," he said, holding out his hand. I shook it weakly.

"You're not Mr. Corbett?" I asked, my eyebrows rising on their own.

"No, though I suspect you will be meeting him in a day or two," Frank said with a friendly smile, "would you like to freshen up before you see the child?"

"Yes, of course," I replied, thinking a bathroom was exactly what I needed. I had no idea how long I had been out, but my bladder was telling me it was more than a few hours.

I spent a long time in the bathroom. I had dried blood on my face, a mascara disaster, and my hair had a lunatic thing going on. I straightened up as best I could, wishing I had my purse. I would need some clothes and toiletries if I was going to stay for any length of time. I wondered how long it would take for Sam to find us. I didn't even know where here was.

"Well you look a lot better," Frank said. His smile had that used-car salesperson feel about it.

"I'll need some clothes and things," I said, smoothing out my shirt. It had some blood stains on it that I didn't think were mine. I was thankful it was flannel and not one of my white blouses.

"Of course," Frank said, his hand leading the way down the hall, "Abigail, who you'll meet a little later, will acquire whatever you need. You'll find Mr. Corbett very generous." I smiled, thinking I might try to find out how generous. The asshole could afford a new wardrobe.

I noticed that Frank was keeping his distance from me. I've never had anyone afraid of me outside of a courtroom. It was empowering. I almost raised my hand quickly, too see if I could make him flinch. I decided not too when I noticed a couple of larger fellows waiting at the end of the hall. These guys were a lot larger than Frank, and it didn't look like they were hired for their business sense. Both wore skin tight black shirts tucked into black slacks. They didn't lack for muscle.

"In case you made a different decision," Frank said, answering my unasked question about the two men. I was more of a prisoner than it looked. I wondered if the offer to go was real, not that I would leave Teegan alone.

The hall opened into a large bright room, three stories of windows lined the far wall with a sleek modern spiral staircase leading upward on the right side. The room was designed for entertaining with plush couches and tables strewn about a large circle fireplace in the center. The colors were earthy, which blended well with the old growth pines that lay a stone's throw outside of the windows. The left side housed a bar that would be the envy of any drinking establishment. Beyond the windows, a stone patio held seating for another twenty people with a large fire pit built from large irregular rock.

Frank smiled thinking I was impressed. I feigned indifference though I desperately wanted to shout to see if there was an echo. As much as I claimed that wealth didn't hold much appeal, I was impressed. The top of the bar looked liked it was cut from one large pine and stained to bring the grain out. It must have been a monster of a tree. As we walked past, I ran my fingers along it, finding it smooth and quite beautiful.

"The tree that it was carved from came from this lot," Frank said. I hated that he saw me admire it. I didn't want to like him, the owner, or anything he owned. "Mr. Corbett hated to waste such a magnificent living thing. You'll find parts of the tree throughout the house as molding, picture frames, and even a rocking chair."

"It was probably more impressive before he killed it," I said without warmth. Frank gave me a knowing chuckle. My offhanded insult was understood and ignored.

"The child is on the second floor," Frank said, pointing through the double doors next to the bar.

"The child's name is Teegan," I said, "and why not the spiral stairs." They looked intriguing, and I had a childish desire to climb them.

"Those stairs lead to the guest portions of the house," Frank said as I followed, "Teegan is located in the private section. Close to Mr. Corbett's room when he is in residence." We walked through a huge kitchen, bypassing what looked like a small theater room, and began to climb a more normal staircase.

1...1415161718...23