The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,653 Followers

"Empathy," I replied, "I think she uses ours and seeks those in need." I dropped my eyes to the ground and thought a moment, "I think that's where all the power comes from. It comes from us and channeled through her. She's more the mirror than the source." I looked up to see Hank staring into space as his mind worked.

"It makes sense," Hank agreed, "how could a baby decipher it all without experience. I guess we should be thankful she found such sane parents." I caught myself from spouting out that I was an asshole before I met her. My empathy was wrapped in self-pity before the accident. It was the first bonding that had me looking outward. There was more to it than simple rules could define. Stinky was my angel.

"The government contacted me," Hank said, "specifically a Captain Hodges. They are aware of what happened yesterday." He let that sink in for a moment before he continued. "They want to make a deal, one that I think you can agree to."

"Which part of the government?" I asked.

"The military," Hank said, shrugging his shoulders, "though I think other branches may be involved."

"They know where Teegan is?" Natalie asked with concern.

"I suspect they may have followed you," Hank said.

"They can't have her," I said, trying to lower the anger that was building.

"Da!" Teegan called and ran to me. She had felt my anger rising and didn't like it. I pulled her into my arms, knowing I would risk everything to keep her with Natalie and me.

"They don't fully understand how strong she has become," Hank continued, waving his palms to calm us, "they think you've been combat trained," he said to me, "they want to keep tabs on her, not control her. I think the offer is a good one, but then I get see her more." He smiled at the last part.

"What's the deal?" I asked.

"You agree to a couple of things, and they give you both new identities," Hank said, then looked at Natalie, "your legal license will follow you," he looked back at me, "you'll receive a birth certificate that names you and Natalie as Teegan's biological parents." He looked again at Natalie, "it includes enough cash to let you start over though it won't fund more than a start."

"What do we have to agree too?" I prodded. I was sure it would be something I couldn't accept.

"One, you never speak of her actual origins to others," Hank replied. I nodded. "Two, she doesn't leave the country." It was acceptable until she was an adult. Then again, our agreements aren't hers when she becomes of age. "Three, I see her four times a year and report back to them. Her current location will be part of that report." I waited for part four, but it never came.

"They'll stay away?" I asked with some disbelief.

"I suspect they'll keep better tabs than they claim, but you'll be free to raise her without any direct interference."

"And you'll report what?" Natalie asked.

"Her capabilities and...," Hank stalled for a moment, "a threat assessment. The military uses crude terms but rest assured the analysis will be mine."

"If we refuse?" I asked.

"You'll have to hide again," Hank replied, "which will be a lot more difficult now. I'll help you either way." I looked at Natalie with concern. Hiding would only last so long. Cooperating with the government held its list of problems. Teegan wrapped her arms around my neck, and the bond took hold, pulling Natalie in with me.

If the government knew Corbett had found Teegan, then they had allowed the kidnapping. They thought Corbett could be controlled by greed. Natalie's thoughts mixed with my own. They and no idea that Corbett had meant to ultimately replace the government with his own. They had no clue he was insane. Our escape meant they were losing what control they thought they possessed. Direct action was difficult given the number of people involved. The mansion's staff and the vets couldn't all be controlled. We were a quantifiable bonded entity. Our concern seemed to rest in Teegan's welfare, something they also desired. Two people who had already bonded were a lower risk than attempting another research lab full of scientists.

The alternative struck Natalie and me simultaneously. They could just remove the risk. We couldn't stop a concerted effort to end Teegan's life. I looked at the girl in my arms and felt Natalie wrapping around the two of us. Teegan, and somehow I knew it was her, pulled in our son. The family must remain intact.

"We agree," Natalie and I said in unison. It would allow an adversary to remain at arm's length, and afford us the autonomy we desired. Teegan would not become a victim of ignorance. Our love was too great for that.

"You don't want more time to consider?" Hank asked with surprise.

"The alternative is too grave," I said and looked at Natalie, who nodded in agreement.

"You used the link," Hank said, "you two had a discussion and decided."

"Yep," I replied, "it's what families do. I guess this is our Magna Carta."

"And Portland is your Runnymede," Hank laughed.

It took some time to explain the humor to the others. Natalie enjoyed hearing her mother's name. I enjoyed making her remember. After all, it is as much Rose's legacy as ours. She would have seen the value in the agreement.

Chapter 30 - Sam

Sometimes you can take humor too far. In our case, we used it to pick our new home. Natalie had said that any old town would do as long as we were together. So I hit the internet and found Old Town, Maine. It was far from anyone who would know us and was surrounded by all the nature we could ever want. Our time in the cabin had given us an appreciation of the woods and the changing seasons, something we wanted continue to surround ourselves with. The fact that the University of Maine was only a short drive away sealed the deal. Getting a degree was still on my agenda.

We had acquired a decent sized house that backed up to the woods. Though the house needed work, Natalie and I instantly thought of it as home. Teegan thought it was an excellent place to explore. The first thing I did was put a latch on the basement door so she wouldn't explore her way down the wooden steps.

The government was more than willing to help settle us. It gave them comfort to know where we were. We took comfort in knowing that they would keep their distance if we cooperated. A legal job miraculously became available in a small firm 20 minutes away in Bangor. They had a sudden influx of government work and needed another associate. It didn't pay as much as Natalie was used too, but the hours were good, and they were instrumental in getting her licensed in the state. We weren't sure how much Lawford, Hickens, and Chapman knew. I suspected their curiosity was held in check by the new dollar signs. It was real work, so Natalie was happy. She enjoyed conversing with other lawyers and fighting the good fight.

We were busy cleaning up the house, checking off tasks on a list prepared by Natalie. Teegan was helping by following us around and making things twice as difficult.

My mother was coming, and Natalie was nervous. Throughout all the changes, the two hadn't met. She got it in her head that she might not measure up. I couldn't convince her that my mother's approval wasn't necessary. Telling her she was already beyond any expectations my mother had for my future was useless. Cleaning seemed the only thing that calmed her nerves.

Our new identities as a married couple, Mr. and Mrs. Fuller, also afforded us secure transfer of my mother. Giving up her trailer in New Mexico was not a hard sell. The snow in Maine almost dissuaded her, but Natalie's pregnancy sealed the deal. Like us, she had to cut all ties. It wasn't difficult since all her old friends were drunks and she was now sober. She couldn't see them anyway.

I found my mom a small apartment half a mile from our house. I was thinking of having her move in with us, but I didn't want to put that much pressure on Natalie right away. If they hit it off, I would broach the subject. If not, half a mile was close enough.

"I think that's the doorbell," I said with a sigh.

"She's early," Natalie panicked, "I haven't had a chance to shower and there's still dishes in the sink."

"It will be okay," I said. I cradled Natalie's lovely face and kissed her lips softly. I cheated and sent a burst of love through Teegan. I was getting so good at it I didn't have to think about it.

"I should, at least, be clean when I first meet her," Natalie commented.

"She's family," I said, "we'll all see each other at our worst, and, right now, you're as beautiful as ever."

"Liar," Natalie said, moving in front of a mirror. The doorbell rang again. "Oh, don't make her wait," she added, pushing my off so she could primp a few more seconds. I picked up Teegan and headed toward the door.

My mother was in worse shape than Natalie. I could see the fear in her eyes though her smile was real enough when I opened the door.

"Sam!" mom said as I opened the door fully. She had done something different with her hair. It was shorter than when I last saw her and a bit fuller. It looked less haphazard.

"Come in, Mom," I said, "this is Teegan." I bounced Teegan on my arm as if it would help identify who I was talking about. As always, Teegan gave a big smile.

"Oh, she's lovely," mom said in a grandmotherly tone I didn't know she had. She looked around quickly and asked nervously, "where is Natalie?"

"She'll be down in a minute," I said, "she's looking forward to meeting you." I wondered why we never told the truth in these matters. We throw around white lies thinking everyone would be better off not knowing how nervous everyone is.

"I was thinking," mom whispered as she leaned close to me, "maybe Natalie doesn't want me intruding. Maybe my coming here isn't a good idea." I was shaking my head, trying to make it look like it was a silly idea with my smile, "she may not want a woman like me near her children. I wasn't exactly a good mother."

"Nonsense," I said.

"I wouldn't blame her," my mom continued, "she's educated and probably thinks I'll be a bad influence. I don't want to ruin things for you."

"Natalie doesn't..." I started to say.

"She's a lawyer," my mother rambled on, "I dropped out of high school." She put a lot of thought into her argument. "Maybe if I just visit once in awhile and keep my distance." I could see water forming in her eyes. I wanted her to stop. "No one wants an old drunk around their family."

"Mom that's silly..." I started to argue, but my eyes caught Natalie off to the side. Her hand was covering her mouth, and there were tears in her eyes. She must have heard most of it. My mother turned to Natalie, and they both started crying. I had no idea what to do.

The two women faced each other for a moment, then collapsed into each other's arms crying.

"Children need their grandmothers," Natalie sobbed.

"You're so pretty," my mom cried.

"What just happened?" I whispered to Teegan. My two favorite woman were hugging and crying as if I wasn't in the room. I could have sworn they were afraid of each other just a moment earlier. In unison, they opened their arms and beckoned me to join the hug. To be honest, I was hesitant to join. Their faces were still distorted with the crying, and I think they expected me to cry also. I was confused, not tearful. It wasn't as if they gave me a choice, so Teegan and I squeezed in.

Their tears had made me forget about Teegan's new past time. She had gotten into the habit of kissing cheeks, mostly because the affection would make us smile. I didn't have time to warn my mother when Teegan pressed her lips to mom's cheek. Mom's expression changed and her teary eyes widened as the link flowed into her.

"Oh my," Mom said as her smile appeared. She took a step back, separating from us. "The way you described it, I thought it would be more subtle," she said to me, "she really is your daughter."

"She does love him so," Natalie said, wiping her tears and adding a smile.

"How does she do that?" Mom asked, "for a moment, I could see everything so clearly. The love you two share, the problems I thought I had aren't problems at all."

"We don't know," I replied, "we just accept it."

"How come I'm not bleeding like you were?" my mom asked, wiping her nose to make sure.

"Feelings are free," Natalie said almost laughing.

"It's anger and forcing the link that takes a toll," I clarified, "there's no cost in just loving her."

"She must be an angel," Mom said with a big smile. Teegan laughed and reached out for her. Mom took her in her arms without hesitation. Now my eyes teared. Memories from deep in the recesses of my mind awoke. The early years with my mom, before the drinking, when happiness was the order of the day. I saw it on her face again as she held Teegan. Natalie moved next to me and circled her arm around my waist. She sensed my need for closeness, even without Teegan spelling it out. I pulled her close as I enjoyed the mother I remembered.

At that moment, life was perfect.

Chapter 31 - Epilog

The room was cased in old wood paneling that was hand planed 150 years ago by a master craftsman. It had been well preserved with oil keeping its luster, a source of pride for the owner. Shelving, a little darker than the walls, lined the bulk of the perimeter holding leather-bound volumes that may have been as old as the walls. The trim along the top of the shelving displayed hand carved rose blooms that further enhanced the wood.

Four exquisitely detailed reading tables were laid symmetrically in the center of the room, each with two antique green glass shaded lamps. Plush claw foot chairs, four surrounding each table, completed the luxurious functionality.

Seated at the front table on left were two elderly men. Both long in years, but rigid in stature. Before them lay many pictures scattered beneath the lights. One wore an Italian tailored gray suit that seemed to fit the decor. The other, simple jeans and a sweater. Both were waiting patiently in silence with a stilled confidence that extruded power.

The door to the room opened on silent hinges. A middle-aged man in butler livery led in a tall, well dressed, black man. The butler left with the same silence with which he had entered.

"You lost it, Anthony?" The suited man asked the man who had entered. It was plain that he already knew the answer. It was more of an accusation.

"I assumed I had more time, Mr. Blackstone," Anthony said after he stopped before the table with a small bow. "They recovered her quickly. I was misinformed about the man's skills. I was led to believe he was uneducated and untrained. That was not the case."

"You had no opportunities?" The man in the sweater asked.

"I passed on one, thinking another less risky opportunity would arise," Anthony replied. He bowed his head lower in shame. "Poisoning its food would have identified me immediately. I'm sorry I failed you, Mr. Sabbatini."

"You failed yourself," Sabbatini sighed, "and humanity as well."

"It's done," Blackstone added, "and can't be undone. How was she removed so quickly?"

"The woman, Natalie," Anthony said, "she turned both of the guardians and somehow impaired Corbett."

"Or it did," Sabatini spat, lifting a picture of a small child from the table, "demons can be very tempting. We won't underestimate it again."

"I have had hints that General Podgorski may have involved himself," Blackstone said.

"That Jew!" Sabatini said, waving the picture at Blackstone, "first they stake our Lord to the cross, and now they work for humanity's ruin."

"Calm yourself, Nicholas," Blackstone said, "we will find it again. Then Anthony will redeem himself." He looked at Anthony as if it were a question.

"I shall, sir," Anthony said, "even if God calls for my life, I will rid the world of the hooved one."

"Then find it and kill it," Sabatini ordered as he ripped the picture in half.

***************************************

Preview: The Link 2, Chapter 1 - Teegan

***************************************

I am human, mostly. That's what they tell me though I seldom feel normal. My friend Samantha tells me she doesn't feel normal either, and she came into the world the old-fashioned way. I guess it is part of high school. I might feel better if I had a date for prom.

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,653 Followers