The Little Phoenix

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lisa cursed under her breath. She knew this time would come, but she didn't want to face it like this...not like this. But it was time, for time, to have its way.

"Skyler Bronson doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground!" Lisa spit. "No sweetheart, you are in no way shape, form or fashion adopted. I have 8 ¾ hours of labor pains to prove that."

"Nicky Riddenger said I was ugly because I'm so dark."

Lisa's teeth grit. If she heard anymore, her anger would turn them into powder. She had tried her best to give her a world where this was an impossible conversation. A world so different from her own childhood. But she had failed to see the world for how it truly is. A place where ignorance was passed down from generation to generation.

"Baby...listen to me. Don't you dare listen to a word those evil kids say. They don't know anything. You are the most perfect, beautiful little girl on this Earth. There is nothing wrong with you at all."

"But my teacher Ms. Lowell said I'm not white. When I filled out some papers the other day. She got mad. I told her I was white just like my mommy. I'm white aren't I mommy? I'm white just like you."

Lisa had to hold back the tears again. This was the part she NEVER wanted to confront. The part she thought she had left behind. The part she dreaded to discuss. But it was time.

"Yes Thaelor, you are white...but only in part. Thaelor honey, I should have told you this a long time ago. You are what people call "mixed." You are my daughter and I am white. But sweetheart, your skin will NEVER look like mine. Your hair will NEVER be as straight as mine. Your eyes will NEVER be as blue as mine. Because while I am white, your DADDY is BLACK. Those kids were taught an evil thing. The idea that unless you look like them or like me, there is something wrong with you. Honey, you come from two different worlds that according to them, should never mix.

"But Mommy..."

"Let mommy finish honey. I'm sure you heard a LOT of stupid things at that school. I was wrong for hoping it would be different. But I see now that I only hurt you by not being honest."

Lisa took another deep breath, looked into her daughter's eyes and told her tale.

"Honey...to these people we are different. That's because we aren't like them. In fact, we are NOTHING like them. I'm not even from here. I was born in a small town in the South. The people you know as Uncle Greg, Aunt Killie, and Grandma Shelley, aren't even related to you. They were just people who loved your mommy enough to help her out when I got here.

Your REAL Grandparents are Karl and Brenda Leigh. You have an Uncle named Charles and two Aunts named Jessica and Kelly. But, according to them and the way they think, Mommy did something VERY BAD. Absolutely unforgivable. When I was in high School mommy fell in love with another black boy. He was kind, gentle, and loving. He loved me, and I loved him. He lived in another town close to mine and we would meet in secret. One day, we made love in a field. But your Aunt Kelly saw us. She ran back and told my daddy. When I got home, he beat me for almost an hour. But that was nothing compared to what he, my brother and his friends did to my boyfriend. They beat him so bad, he almost died. That very night, I ran to the hospital to see him. He was so bad...his parents wanted to hate me. But they knew better. They knew what kind of world we lived in. So, they let me stay at their house a couple days, then my boyfriend's father gave me a little money, drove me to the next town, and put me on a bus out here.

When I got here, I had no one. I knew nobody and was completely alone. I had to stay at a shelter for a couple days. Then I found a job as a dancer. I wasn't proud of it...but it gave me a little money and I met a few friends. One night at work, I met this black man. He was tall, handsome, loving and had a little money. He took me out, he bought me nice things. We went on expensive vacations. He acted like he loved me. He reminded me so much of the boy I knew back home. Then I told him about you. How I was pregnant with his child. How his child needed a father. How I needed a man. That's when he told me about his family. His wife and kids. His other responsibilities. I cried. I told him he needed to be a man. He needed to take care of his child. That I couldn't do it alone. But he did love me a little. He has helped me...helped US a few times. But I knew you needed to have a future. A future I couldn't give you on my own. A future that you deserved. A future where you are loved and cared for. My love, you bridge two worlds. One white and one black. You are the best of both those worlds. Never think there is anything wrong with you. You are perfect and perfectly made. And your future..."

Lisa's gaze went off into the distance. Her mind was calculating at a million miles a minute. Then her face changed yet again. Her steely blue eyes became locked. Her jaw tightened. Reaching again into her purse, she pulled out her cell phone. Dialing in the number, she waited. Her breathing becoming unnervingly calm, but stern. The person on the other line picked up on the third ring:

"Hello?" came the familiar disembodied voice.

"Hey Shelly, it's Lisa."

"Oh, hi dear, are you still dropping Thaelor off this evening?"

"Hey Shelly, uh...that thing we talked about earlier, never mind. I have come up with another idea to take care of that issue. I just wanted to tell you; thank you so much for everything you have ever done for Thaelor and I. We can never repay you for all your love, guidance, and help."

"Oh dear, that's no prob..."

Lisa hung up the phone. She no longer had time to waste. Her course was clear, her mind set. Turning the car back on, she backed out of the lot. Turning left, she headed back into the city proper. Rights, lefts, over bridges and under road, the scenery continued to change. The businesses gave way to beautiful homes, situated on large acres of land. Perfectly manicured and maintained. Thaelor had never seen grass so large and green. Trees providing precise shade in certain areas. Walls made of some of the finest bricks and metal providing security from unwanted outsiders, yet also adding to the overall beauty of the area. Landscape turned into art.

Eventually, they happened upon a huge white building set off to itself. Sitting upon even more acres of beautiful land. This building even dwarfed the fine establishment they had been at earlier. It was huge. Longer than even the street that Thaelor lived on. Pulling up to the front of the building, Lisa got out and came to the passenger's side. No sooner did Thaelor exit the vehicle, she snatched the small suitcase from the back of the car. The valet walked up and asked,

"Hello ma'am...can I park your..."

"Don't bother." Lisa replied in a clipped tone. "Just keep the engine running. I promise I won't be very long." Reaching into her purse, she produced a crisp, new $100-dollar bill. The attendant took it and nodded with a huge smile on his face. "You got it." He replied gratefully.

Grabbing Thaelor by the hand, Lisa stormed through the entrance of the fine establishment, half guiding and half dragging. From all around her, Thaelor heard some of the nicest, softest music piped in from all directions. She had never seen such opulence in her life. Beautiful water fountains occupied by huge fish, shops on either side of her displaying fashions of all types and in all different colors. Marble benches occupied by some of the whitest people Thaelor had ever seen in her life. Before long; Thaelor was dragged to the front of an open-air restaurant. The concierge greeted them with a huge, smile.

"Good morning Ma'am." He said with a practiced smile. "Do you have a reservation with us today?" Looking down at Thaelor, he next remarked; "What a lovely little girl."

"No, unfortunately I do not. But I must speak with one of your guests this very instant. It's an urgent matter of life and death."

It was only then that the man noticed the blood stains covering the front of Thaelor's dress.

"Ma'am, we don't want any trouble here."

Lisa reached back into her purse and withdrew another crisp $100-dollar bill.

"I will just be a minute, Is he here?"

"Please Ma'am...if this is a family matter."

Lisa retrieved another $100-dollar bill.

"Please I must speak to HIM."

"But Madam..."

Lisa took out another $100-dollar bill and pushed it into his hand.

"Francois, you know me. You've seen me here with him 1,000 times. If it weren't of the utmost urgency, I never would've come here, asking you to jeopardize your job. But this isn't about me. Do you see this beautiful little girl? It's all about her. I give you my word, there won't be any trouble. I'll only be here 10 minutes. Please, I'm begging you...is he here?"

Francois shook Lisa's hand and pocketed the money. Looking her dead in the eye he said,

"Yes, he's here. At his usual table, with THEM. Please don't cause a scene."

Lisa kissed her friend's face ever so gently. "Thank you."

Moving with purpose, Lisa dragged Thaelor through rows of tables. Curious onlookers staring at the new arrivals. Some only looked up from their plates, while others stopped eating altogether. Finally, Lisa let go of Thaelor's hand and with the deftness of a street magician grabbed two separate chairs and placed them at a table of 5 African Americans eating in silence. She placed Thaelor in the chair next to hers and glared at the large man seated at the head of it.

"Hello Robert." She said in a cold tone.

"Bitch...have you lost your rabbit-ass mind?! How dare you come here...of ALL places." The statement was made in a tone that could only be taken as a serious threat.

"You know, in actuality, you're not too far from the truth. But how dare YOU lie to a little girl. Have you NO shame?!"

"We had a deal, remember? You and I were never to be seen together again. I paid, you disappeared. That was the deal."

"And YOU remember, that the last time we lay together, that your DAUGHTER could come to her brother's party. No familial introduction, just a meet and have fun. You never made the arrangements. Robert, I could care less if you lie to me, about how you feel about me. I'm not stupid. I'm a grown woman. But when you lie to your daughter...all bets are off."

Just then the buxom, dark skinned woman across from Lisa spoke up.

"I really don't give a shit which of Robert's whores you claim to be. I am his wife! I will not be disrespected like this by ANYONE!"

Without taking her eyes off of Robert, Lisa answered in a calm, assured way.

"Believe me Sharmel, it was never my intention to disrespect you in any way, shape, form or fashion. But your husband has an obligation that he must follow through on, and I do so intend to see him do just that."

The older looking teenage girl next to Sharmel spoke up next, "What do you mean "familial" and "brother?"

"Oh yes...I almost forgot. Thaelor, let me introduce you to come very important people who will be in your life from now on. The young lady sitting across from you is your big sister Monica. The two boys next to her are your brothers Travis and Ryan. Today is Ryan's birthday too."

Thaelor looked at the young people across from her. Monica was a beautiful black girl looking to be at least 17. Next to her, was the biggest teenage boy she'd ever seen. Travis was tallish and built like the side of a tractor trailer, the few qhisps od hair on his lip the beginnings of a mustache. At the endof the table, was a sheepish looking black boy whose mouth was currently full of eggs, wearing a "Happy Birthday" hat. There was no doubt, he was Ryan.

"Next, this beautiful lady is Sharmel Morrison...but Thaelor; this big, black, handsome man is your father... Senator Robert James Morrison."

Thaelor's eyes grew wide. She had had dreams of what her father looked like, (though she never brought them up to mom). He was a huge man. Sitting in a custom tailored black suit, with cream colored shirt and accentuated by a beautiful pink and cream silk tie. He had deep brown eyes and a goatee that was just as perfectly manicured as the lawns upon which the building they were in sat upon. Even sitting in his chair, it was evident that he was tall. His skin was the color of chocolate, and just as smooth. Looking even closer, she saw the slightest hint of resemblance to the little face she had seen earlier this morning. There was no doubt in her mind...this was her father.

"Daddy?" she said.

"Well...now that we've all had our introductions, I think it's high time we introduced your skank ass to the police!" said Sharmel.

Like a bolt of lightning, Lisa's hand shot into her purse and produced a wicked looking, blue steel black handled automatic pistol. It immediately hit the table with the business end pointed right at Sharmel.

"I think we can forestall that little idea for a minute longer honey; and for goodness sake watch the language. There are children present."

Immediately, the people seated next to Senator Morrison's table scattered. Knocking over chairs and other people making their escape from the scene. Robert for his part, hadn't moved a muscle.

"So, what the hell is this all about? Are you trying to shake me down for more money? I'm already paying you $5,000 a month to take care of your little bastard. You also know there is no way I'm leaving my wife and children. We had that discussion years ago, and so what I lied to you about the party Ryan was having. We agreed they would never meet. So exactly what the FUCK do you want from me now?"

Lisa's eyes grew cold, darkening in shade, the end of the gun moving directly in Robert's direction.

"Don't you ever...talk about YOUR child like that again. You can put on a front for these people all you want Robert, but I know how much you love children and I'm telling you: you WILL love this one. You should be so lucky as to have her. She is smart, kind, pretty, talented, funny, and loving. She has more love in her than you and I EVER have known in our lives.

And no...this is not a shakedown for more money. Believe you me, I have kept and used that money you sent me for HER benefit. In fact, most of it is sitting in a nice, healthy trust account for her once she reaches 21. Furthermore, I personally don't want anything from you. Despite my feelings, I made my peace with our relationship a long time ago. Yeah...you are one hell of a lay in bed. I give you that. Last week was actually one of your best times. But see Robert, for me it was the best because I don't have a lot of time left. I am dying Robert. I have an inoperable tumor that is growing in my brain. The doctors say I have no more than 8 months to live. Six if I'm not lucky. Either way, I am a goner. There is nothing that can stop that now. So, the "best piece of ass you've ever had" is going away permanently. I will miss you regardless of your foul treatment of me, and I have always felt sorry for you Sharmel. Because as much money and fame that he spreads and spends on you... I have his heart.

No Robert... I am here because it's time YOU took some responsibility. With me gone, Thaelor needs someone to look after her, and what better person to take on that task, then the man who helped give her life. Her father. I need you to take care of the only good thing that ever could've happened between us. Raise her to be a good, healthy, decent woman. All girls need their Daddy and she is no exception. She also needs a family, so I need you kids to welcome her, and let her love you like she's one of your own...because she is.

Lastly Robert, I was going to take this situation in a whole other direction...just die and disappear off into the sunset. I was going to hold up my end of the bargain. But I kind of hoped you would pull a stunt like you did today. This way, I could die with a clear conscious. Don't even THINK of doing something disgusting like "deny" our child and leave her stranded in this world alone. To take care of that, I have forwarded all the information of birth certificate, DNA results, emails, EVERYTHING to my lawyer, your lawyer, the courts, but most importantly, to every major NEWSPAPER and journalist I've met in this state. I even sent a few to some of your colleagues in the Senate. Quite a few have just been chomping at the bit to use it against you in the next election cycle."

"You're full of shit. If you have Cancer, how do I know that. You never mentioned it."

Pulling the tissue from her nose, Lisa allowed the blood to flow freely. Within seconds, the front of her own blouse was soaked. For the first time since the beginning of their meet, Roberts eyes widened, if only slightly. Lisa caught the look of hurt. Robert was now very concerned. It was almost imperceptible, but it was there. Her stance and voice softened. Reaching out, she touched his cheek.

"Yes baby, I'm dying, and there's nothing our secrets, your position, or your money can do to stop it. But I beg you... if you ever truly loved me, if you ever truly meant all those things you said to me in those private moments; the best thing you can do to honor me...to honor US, take care of our child. Protect her in this crazy world we brought her into. Teach her the ways of the world. Teach her about herself and your people. She is a product of you and me. She is lost and innocent. I have done everything I can to this point. I need you, SHE needs you; to be the man I know you can be. A loving, guiding, nurturing father. Give her what WE never had. Cause if you don't...I make you this solemn vow...I will haunt your sorry ass for the rest of eternity."

With that, Lisa turned to Thaelor; her little face awash in tears, her heaves of anguish heartbreaking.

"I'm sorry my sweet love. I never meant to leave you. If I could I would turn back the sands of time to spend as much with you as I could. I am also so sorry for lying to you and leaving you unprotected against the realities of this world. But I will ALWAYS be with you. In your heart and in your spirit. I hate to leave you like this, but sweetie where I'm going...you can't follow. I love you with all my heart and soul."

Blocking Thaelor from latching on, Lisa kissed her daughter for the last time on the forehead and bolted for the door. Stopping just long enough to wipe her nose, she kissed Francois on the cheek, leaving him with tears in his eyes saying: "Thank you."

Eyes streaming, nose bleeding; Lisa ran for the entrance to the country club. Her legs striding as fast as they did back in Alabama for her track team. The sounds of sirens in the distance filling her ears as onlookers gave her room. Her eyes began to blur as she reached the entrance, her car filling what was left of her vision. No doubt, she was losing consciousness from loss of blood. The all too familiar ache of her ailment beginning to creep up on her like the hand of death. "Oh no you don't," she murmured to herself.

"There's nothing you can do to hurt me now."

Sprinting past the valet, Lisa ran to the driver's side door and got behind the wheel. No sooner than she closed the door, her exit was blocked by police cars in the front and back of her still running VW Bug. Large police men surrounding the vehicle with their guns drawn. But she couldn't hear them say a single word. The lights in her eyes dimming as life dripped constantly from her nose.

"She's safe." Lisa said. "You can't hurt me anymore. She will rise like a Phoenix."

At the table in the restaurant, no one moved a muscle. All eyes locked on the newest member of their family. The latte colored, hazel eyed little girl named Thaelor Renee MORRISON, sat with muted tears among a whole new family. That all changed as both Thaelor and her father, almost broke their necks at the sound of the single gunshot.

12