All Comments on 'The Lost Hours with Annabelle'

by RetroFan

Sort by:
  • 33 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

An intriguing read, well written and entertaining. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

god i loved reading this....i was so captivated by the era and the Melbourne of the sixties, and the story. it was sheer genius, especially as we are none the wiser as to what really happened. and the ending, also seems perfect. sad and reflective with tears and still no recollection by anyone as to where the missing hours went, just so enjoyable to read. also well written. hopefully you are going to produce more of this outstanding writing. thankyou so so much. regards Tim

RetroFanRetroFanabout 2 years agoAuthor

Hi - thanks for reading my new story and to those who have commented so far, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I enjoyed writing it, even though the ending is sad.

RetroFan

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I too, was born in 1944, except my birth place was Canada. It was impossible for me not to realize parallels with my own memories.

In reading your unusual tale, my mind has constantly been thinking back to the "what ifs" of my own experiences. Although I am thankful for what I have and for knowing the people who have crossed my path, there are things that I regret and wonder about.

You have developed a plot that is unique in Lit. That requires skill and a thoughtful mind. Your writing was quite emotional for me and it brought tears to my eyes as I neared the end. I felt a combination of sadness and satisfaction when I realized that all your characters had had happy lives despite the deviations and developments from what they would have dreamed.

I gave you five stars!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Just a bit overdone. Too much work put into the did they or didn't they line. Did I miss the part where he and Annabelle were hypnotized to set up the lost time scenario?

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 2 years ago

A unique tale in this Fantasyland. I thought you were going to succumb to the temptation of showing a connection between the original Annabelle and the younger one at the fair and the young Jim. I have had ESP experiences that I am sure are not imaginary and can only be the result of some paranormal occurrence. This story reminds me of them and the great unknown that the mind really is. 5*

Davester37Davester37about 2 years ago

I really enjoyed this story on several levels. The plot is clever and engaging, and a bit mystifying. The characters are interesting, well-developed, and likable. I especially appreciate the setting. I love to have an actual setting described so that I can look up new places and see what the area is like. Well done!

Thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

extremely well-written, interesting and unusual. i gulped when he read the obit, wondering if she ever had the same dream

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I’m sorry, but for the first time ever I have to rate a story lower than Overcritical. Others have commented about how well written this was and I quite frankly disagree. There is a repeated butchering of the correct pronoun use that, though not critical, is like a pesky mosquito ruining the enjoyment of a glass of fine wine while sitting on the patio watching the sunset.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Was 6 pages too long, at least. Idea was good though.

rayironyrayironyabout 2 years ago
No lack of virtues

The temporal scope was ambitious and nicely integrated.

Good characters decently developed.

Some ruthless editing would have been helpful.

All in all, pretty good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Beautiful

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Excellent!! Disappointed that Jim and Annabelle didn't end up together. I have a weakness for tall girls.

JoEcksJoEcksabout 2 years ago

Nice one! Kept me interested till the end. I write pretty much in the ‘historical reminiscence’ vein myself, so I greatly admired your command of detail and creation of period (!) atmosphere. I don’t know Australia from personal experience, but felt I knew it just that bit better seeing it through your narrator’s eyes. Oh, and the sex was good, well handled and put into a coherent context, which to my mind is very important for credible erotic writing - or indeed, any writing at all. Thanks, and congrats on the competition win!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Each reference to a song brought back another memory of listening to AM radio during undergrad days in the Midwestern US. I wish the author had paid closer attention to the use of 'me' rather than 'I' in the objective case. Another reader said it was like a mosquito, ruining the pleasure of the moment. I agree. Otherwise, well done.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 2 years ago

Very interesting!

5

GongguyGongguyabout 2 years ago

Great story, well told. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Well done, quite enjoyable

StevieDallasStevieDallasabout 2 years ago

Beautiful and moving!!! Well done.

Richard1940Richard1940almost 2 years ago

Strange but intrguing. Very well written and kept my attention completely focused

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Strange just having lost my wife of 52 years gave me comfort as I am going through the grief but

This is well written and blesses me!!! There is no greater stress in our lives than to lose a spouse🙅🏽👄‼️🙏🏼✝

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

There are always points that people don't care for, but this was a magnificent story. I see a tie to 22nd April 1962 (Easter Sunday). I don't see any tie to 1st April... but perhaps "April Fool" just meant April, not necessarily 1st April.

If the teenaged lovers would have been able to remember their sudden lovemaking, they might have been embarrassed rather than pleased. Both of them took up with their life partner within months, so perhaps it is just as well that they did not remember.

P. S. My father was born just after midnight on 1st March 1932. He missed being a 29th February baby by 15 minutes. I love all the Australia references in your stories and hope to visit Australia someday (now that I have the money and holiday time to make it worthwhile to fly almost halfway around the world).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Too much trivial BS which added pages to what could have been an interesting storyline.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Incredible story, it takes be back to another time when I was also young and in love with a beautiful blond young woman. Well Done!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I was impressed by your narrative. Great characters and you truly set the age with your wording. Well done So I came here looking for erotic stories and found actual literature

ScottishTexanScottishTexanalmost 2 years ago

First off, if you're going to name real people in your story who were famous, please be sure to spell their names correctly!!! It's Bruce Channel with two "n"s. You misspelled it twice, like the women's perfume No. 5. We Texans are proud of our own who make good!

I also found your ending unsatisfactory in the extreme. You left us all hanging with nothing but speculation. You took the time to throw in the hypnotist but didn't really go anywhere with it other than a trigger causing Jim to either dream up a fantasy or suddenly recall the memory wipe. But you didn't resolve anything in the end.

I hated it. You freaking wasted my time. 1/5

RangeExpanderRangeExpanderalmost 2 years ago

Quite a nice long buildup and backstory

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Liked it, thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very compelling story. I started out looking for the sexual content, but got hooked by your charactors, and a refreshing plot. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It is as if something prevented the time loop from unwinding until one of them had passed away… as if the Universe would not allow Anbabelle and alternate Annabelle to exist simultaneously. I would have preferred the two of them living an entirely different life from 1962 forward… one where they got and stayed together for life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

After reading the nasty comments left by some “persons from Porlock”, I implore you to damn the Porlockians and continue your writing in your own style.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very good story,couldn’t stop reading

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Too much fantasy magic bs, you dont just both forget what you did for 5 hours for no reason. And then remember every detail decades later. Too contrifed and needlesly complicated

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous