The Luckiest Man Alive Ch. 01-02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My celebrity petered out about then. About a week after my trial, I ceased to be news. There were fresh scandals dominating the headlines. One of the Imperial princes had been photographed kissing another man at a resort. The Twincestuous Terror (that's me) was out. Gay Prince George was in. A week after that, I became a point of largely forgotten trivia.

With the death of my celebrity, also came the end of my special treatment in prison. I lost my own cell and was cast back into general pop. I was fed nothing but bland gruel and water.

I knew my fate. I was now destined to be sent to some hell where I could fight over food with other damned souls while we all worked ourselves to death to avoid the lash. That was now my life. I was eighteen years old and that was all that was left of it. I finally broke down and had a good, long cry the night before my auction. No one cared.

Gaia -- I could still see her in my mind's eye. I remembered walking arm in arm with her into the vast ballroom of my father's estate. The Empire's finest were already lining up to gift us money and trinkets. I remember the touch of her soft hands and the single kiss that we had shared later that night. She'd be starting Collegium soon. My trial, my processing -- they had taken weeks. Summer was nearly over. I wondered if her friends ever did carry out their mad plan to be her slaves. I hoped not, but I'd probably never know.

I wondered then, in the long dark of my shared holding cell, if even a wretched murderer like me could somehow be united with her again once I passed beyond the veil of death. Or would she instead find love in the years to come with someone else? Would her and her prince spend eternity together in the fields of Elysium while I languished in a loveless hell?

Where was Jupiter, divine arbiter of justice? Would one of his lightning bolts blast me out of this prison and free me from this bondage? The sky, when I could see it from a window, was dark and silent. No gods answered my worthless prayers. Did I really believe any of this shit? Did I believe in the gods? I was no longer certain.

All that I could be certain of is that I saw no prospect for joy or hope or love in my future. The night before I was scheduled to be sold was a stygian abyss of mourning and misery. One of my few remaining possessions was a prisoner's shirt. I wondered if I could braid it into a noose and hang myself before my morning of humiliation. Probably not. I was property now. I had no right to privacy. I was monitored day and night. There were guards close by who would "save" me. After all, a dead slave is worth even less than the death-marked.

The next day, I was singled out from the line of my fellow manacled wretches. That surprised me. I had expected to be herded into a lot and sold unceremoniously. No one explained why this was being done. Slaves do not need explanations. They need to obey or they get the lash. I wondered what fresh indignities I had been specially selected for.

I soon learned the answer to that. I was stripped naked, hosed down in the presence of three armed guards and ordered to clean myself. I was provided with harsh lye soap and the coarsest, roughest towel I think I had ever encountered. Gods, I knew what was happening. I was being sold into sexual slavery. Me, a young eighteen year old death-marked slave -- I could only imagine what playful hell my new owner wanted me for.

I was kept naked, herded out of the showers and displayed on a podium before a camera. Slave auctions these days were largely done remotely. I could be inspected personally if the buyer insisted, but that didn't happen today. I was ordered to raise my arms over my head and slowly rotate. The auction concluded quickly and I was announced as having been sold. A stamp of sale was put on a piece of paper and I was placed in a new holding pen, still naked, and waited to be picked up.

A lengthy legal statement was read to me first, though. I was really coming to love those. I don't remember it all verbatim. The gist was that I was reminded, in case I forgot, that I was no longer a person and no longer entitled to a trial by my peers or really any legal rights. If I engaged in any future violent activities, I would be summarily crucified. I was to obey my new owner in all things even unto death. Failure meant lashes. Or again, crucifixion.

Have a nice day.

This completed, I was fitted with a tracking collar and given a bright orange sackcloth garment with big black letters spelling out 'slave'. I was marched to meet my owner. There at the end of a bright corridor was my buyer, backlit by the sunlight streaming into the darkened prison hallway. The figure stood alone, silhouetted by a halo of light and hooded.

She pulled back her dark blue cloak and I looked upon the face of my new master.

It was Gaia, of course.

Chapter II

"You bought your brother?!" my father bellowed.

I sat outside the study of the Baron Hadrian Vetronius, my father biologically speaking, though he had recently disowned me. I was forbidden entry to his inner sanctum. This was not a matter of trust. Two of the family guards watched me intensely. I knew both these men since I was a child. This did not seem to make them like me anymore this morning.

They both held Aquila 9mm machine pistols at the ready and father had told them mere moments ago that they could shoot me if I did anything ... What was his chosen word? Ah, yes ... funny. I felt somewhat fortunate that they weren't currently pointing the guns at me. They did however bar my access to the study, in case I felt like doing anything rash like leaving my appointed chair. What they could not do was contain the yelling. Father had been doing a lot of that this morning.

I could even occasionally make out my twin sister's Gaia's comparatively calm responses. "I know he's disgraced you, father, and he's been punished most severely. He's lost his freedom and he'll never be baron. But he is still our family!"

"He's no family of mine! Not anymore! He chose his path!"

There was a third voice mixed in with the conversation. That one was the most reasonable and thus the hardest to make out. That was my father's second wife, the Lady Augustina Vetronius-Villeneuve. I think she was trying to calm down father. At this, she was failing miserably.

"She wasn't thinking, Hadrian. Clearly she still holds a great deal of affection for her twin brother. Is that so hard to understand? Especially after the loss of Magnus? Still, this was rash, Gaia. You should have spoken to us first... asked permission." I'm guessing on some of that, but I think that's the gist of what the Baroness said.

Father again. Loud and clear. "She didn't ask permission because she knew I'd never give it!"

There was more muffled conversation. I couldn't make out any of this bit. But then father returned to the fore. "You act like I disowned him for no reason! He kills at will, Gaia! You saw the tape! He cut down that Brontius idiot in seconds with the sword I gave him! The sacred name of Vetronius is more important than any one of us!"

There was a lot more, but most of it was either unintelligible or repetitive. The entire exchange can be boiled down to this. Father was both pissed and disappointed in Gaia, but was unwilling to disown her over the matter of my now finalized purchase.

He then threatened to have me shot, this very morning, on some trumped charge. That did make me consider fleeing, but that would have been intensely stupid. Instead I just sat in my chair and smiled weakly at the two armed guards holding guns who could also hear their liege-lord's barked suggestion. Gaia declared the very idea dreadful and beneath my father (hah!) and that she'd never forgive him. That was enough to save my life. She did something I had always been terrible -- she stood up to him. Thus she got to keep me.

But father made it perfectly clear (repeatedly) I wasn't welcome at the family estate EVER or at any family gathering. To quote father, "Supporting this cur comes entirely out of your allowance! I'll not spend one damned denarius feeding that murderous dog. You want a new slave? Fine. But you watch this one, Gaia. He's dangerous!"

Finally as the door flew open and Gaia was exiting, "And keep the bastard out of my sight!" I think that last big baronial bellow was meant for me.

Gaia left the study obviously upset, her face streaked with tears, her blonde hair slightly disheveled. Gods, even a mess, she was still gloriously beautiful. Her exit did not silence father who was clearly still on a tear.

She held up a stamped receipt in front of the two guards with guns and fearlessly declared, "He's mine! He's coming with me!"

The guards did not look at the receipt, they just looked at each other and then did nothing. They both said to the future baroness only, "Hail Vetronius!"

She spoke softly but forcefully to me, "Come on, Gaius. We're going."

That's exactly what we did. We left the home I was born in that day. I wondered if I'd ever return.

***

It was sometime later that Gaia finally spoke to me. She was clearly furious, I just wasn't entirely sure at who. We were seated in her brand new, custom, just washed, fully loaded, very practical sapphire blue 4-wheel drive Silvanus, heading south along the highway. The color, in addition to being common on family heraldry, also almost perfectly matched her eyes. She was driving, of course. That was another thing I wasn't allowed to do any more -- my driver's license had been revoked. Slaves could normally, with their owner's permission, drive but not death marked slaves. We were too dangerous, you see, to be behind the wheel.

"What happened, Gaius?" she finally asked. "Can you explain to me how any of this makes sense?"

"If you mean the attack," I said meekly, "I know... I know no one believes me, but he attacked me. He charged yelling some incoherent gibberish. I promise you, I never wanted a fight with Marcus Brontius. Not after father's threats. But when I drew my sword hoping to keep him at distance, he impaled himself on my blade."

"He impaled himself?" she asked incredulously.

"It sounds ridiculous," I said exasperated. "Gods, I know. But it is what happened. Look, if you don't believe me, I'll understand. No one believes me. The jury, the judge, father, even my own damn lawyer ... they all think I'm full of shit."

"I believe you," she said softly.

I smiled weakly. "You have my eternal gratitude, by the way. And not just for having some modicum of faith left in me. A thousand thanks for putting out your neck, standing up to father and saving me from hell. I owe you a debt, my dear Gaia, I fear I can never repay."

She only nodded to that. "I'm just glad you're alive. But, Gaius, you've got to stop calling me Gaia. Domina. You've got to get in the habit of calling me domina. I know it's hard. It's not what I want, but a slave calling a master by their praenomen in public is a crime. You could be lashed or... gods, even crucified."

"Yeah," I nodded. I knew that. In prison, they had made sure I knew that. "I mean ... yes, domina."

"Look, if it's just us..."

"You don't have to explain," I said. "I understand, domina."

"Shit," she said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I was so looking forward to seeing you again. I missed you, Gaius. I can't even tell you how much. I missed you all summer and... Gods, what a hypocrite I am! I've always said I hated slavery. I swore I'd never own even one and now I have four. I'm a fucking slave owner. Of my own brother, no less. How fucking twisted is that?"

"I can't speak for your other slaves, domina," I said softly, "but this slave is eternally grateful that you bought me."

That seemed to console her.

"So, you bought Zandra, Stella and Cat...er, domina?"

"What? Oh, yes," she said, still wiping away a few last tears as she drove. "I seem to end up owning everyone I'm fond of. How fucked up is that, Gaius? That was weeks ago. That's how I knew how to buy you, actually.

"I waffled for days about buying the three of them and then Stella's wonderful excuse for a father had her evaluated for sale. The man had his own daughter stripped naked in front of a stranger, photographed and graded like an animal. Beautiful, innocent little Stella! Can you believe that?"

I simply nodded. I was no longer capable of being shocked by the human capacity for cruelty.

"Then Zandra sent me pictures of the old men, her prospective husbands, she was getting to meet. Anyways, long story short, yes, I now own four slaves. That's where we're headed, to meet up with the girls and tomorrow, we'll get my dorm room set up for the semester. I was going to hire movers, but now..."

"But now you're broke, right, domina?"

She shrugged as she continued to guide the car down the highway through the sparse traffic. "Yes and no. It's a strange time, Gaius. I'm both wealthier than I've ever been and yet have no access to my money. I put aside ample spending cash for the semester, but now I've spent virtually all of it at fucking slave auctions."

I nodded. "Right."

"Of course," she sighed, "I also put six million damn denarii into my trust fund from birthday presents alone. But until I'm twenty five, I have no control over that money. I'm on a strict allowance controlled by father."

"And he's not feeling generous right this moment," I said.

"Gods, I wish I'd pocketed a few trinkets I could hawk for spending money," she said sorrowfully. "All I've got is Mom's jewelry."

"Wait, what happened to my money?" I asked.

"All your personal wealth went to the House Brontius as restitution for the killing," she said.

I nodded. "Of course. I knew that. Well... you have a dorm room and we all have meal plans at the Collegium, right?"

"Yes," she answered.

"Food and shelter," I said, "We'll get by. And don't worry about the work. It's the least I can do for you, my sister. Whatever you need, I am literally at your disposal."

"You forgot the 'domina', Gaius," she said glumly.

"I definitely did not forget, domina, and rest assured I'll never forget all that you've done for me today, my dearest Gaia." I smiled at her and she smiled back. It was the first time I'd seen her smile since before my imprisonment and it immediately cheered me. I was surprised how much.

Look, don't misunderstand me. This was not a great day. I was still a branded death-marked slave whose own father had called me a dog and a bastard to my face just an hour ago. But at least I was out of fucking jail! I could feel the cold coastal air on my face when I rolled down the window. We stopped and got lattes and fucking muffins at a coffee shop drive-thru. Yes, my father hated me, had disowned and abandoned me. The world considered me a non-person and only property. But I was once more with her.

We drove all day, more than ten hours. We crossed into South Austrea about half way into our trip. By then we were chatting like old times. We listened to music. Her new car had a strange contraption called a compact disc player. She fed the gadget a small shiny metal record and to my delight the car began playing "Moving Pictures" -- a favorite album of mine.

She then gave me all the news from home. We had to stop several times for food or toilets and I largely kept out of sight, avoiding our fellow highway travelers. I had no idea if anyone would recognize me, but equally had no desire to find out.

Gaia, on the other hand, received several 'my ladies' from clerks and attendants. I was not sure if they recognized her or just assumed someone who looked like her must be nobility. She was, as always, a vision. She was dressed casually -- designer sunglasses, a perfectly pressed button down silk shirt of deep cerulean, tight pale denim jeans and black leather laced boots that went up to almost her knee.

Of course, the real giveaway that she was noble was the large golden Vetronian signet ring. One of the serving girls at a diner near the border knelt and kissed that ring. Gaia only smiled and blessed the girl and her family for their loyalty. The girl asked her if her first child could be born healthy, please.

Gaia smiled and said she would pray to the gods that the baby would be.

She was a goddess.

Her golden hair was tied back and braided, long and lustrous. The jeans perfectly framed her curves and fine supple ass magnificently. She was effortlessly perfect. By comparison, I was a disheveled slave dressed in sackcloth and marked as dangerous. Even when I was the heir to the half of a province, I was uncertain if I would ever be worthy of my sister. I could be certain now that I was not. But at least I enjoyed her company, if only as her possession.

When we crossed into South Austrea she declared herself at the checkpoint, "Lady Gaia of House Vetronius plus one slave."

She flashed her Imperial credentials and that was it. The guards scampered to do her bidding. The centurion of the gate even came out unbidden, bowed and formally welcome her to the province.

"Hail Vetronius!" the legionnaires all declared in unison, while saluting her. They never even looked at me. I was simply cargo.

The Four Queens were reunited in a small motel just off the highway near the Collegium later that night. After my journey and previous travails, I gave a few quick greetings, ate some pizza, took a long hot shower, quickly jerked off and went to bed. Gaia had called ahead and gotten me my own room. She had also had one of the girls run out and acquire me the essentials -- toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, deodorant and the like. These were all waiting for me in my small room. A goddess!

At the start of summer I would have condescendingly called this motel a cheap, dinghy, out of date dive. Now it felt like an emperor's accommodation. If anything else happened that night, I cannot say, but I doubt it. Everyone was clearly tired.

For the first time in weeks, I slept soundly, alone, well and unwatched.

***

We got in late on Venus' Day and got up early on Saturn's day. Gaia had to meet the moving truck that had all her personal possessions at 7:00 am. We were soon glad though for the early arrival. It meant we beat the long procession of vehicles that were soon fighting for space at the loading docks. The Collegium Septem Stellarum was the preferred prestigious college for the highborn of the west coast of the Empire. That mean that today an ocean of luggage, furnishings and finery was being unloaded into the dorms. When I saw the size of Gaia's quarters compared to the amount of furniture we had to fit in that room, I had to laugh.

"Everything in that van is going in here, domina?" I said incredulously.

Gaia shrugged. "When I picked out everything, I thought it was going to be just me and maybe one valet."

Don't get me wrong -- by college dorm room standards this place was a palace. It had a damn balcony. What dorm room has a balcony?

But into that single room we had to fit Gaia's queen-sized four poster canopy bed, a large hardwood desk, a wheeled office chair, a small filing cabinet, a half sized refrigerator, a microwave, a bookshelf, an entertainment center complete with big screen TV and stereo system, a six drawer bureau, a sofa, a full length mirror and three sizeable chests full of clothing and personal effects. Father (before he was furious with her) had even gifted her with a two foot tall marble and silver-based statuette of her patron deity, Mother Gaia, engraved with "Di Vobiscum Semper". May the gods be with you always.

Oh, yes and somewhere amongst all of that, the five of us had to live.

Worse, Gaia's assigned student residential building was five stories tall and predictably, our room was on the top floor. It was an older building, so no elevators -- only stairs. It took hours of hard labor to get the moving trucking unloaded and all the stuff up and in the room. Then it had to be unpacked and arranged for maximum efficiency. Then all the packing material had to be hauled down to the row of dumpsters beside the loading zone. This was a hard day's work.

1...34567...9