The Maiden and the Quest

Story Info
The Queen's lady-in-waiting becomes part of a quest.
10.8k words
4.55
2.7k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PickFiction
PickFiction
1,433 Followers

All of my writing is fiction, and the stories and characters are products of my imagination. They were created for my fun and, hopefully, your enjoyment. Some of the events in the stories are not particularly condoned nor encouraged by the author but are there to create and enhance the story of the imaginary characters and their lives. Comments are always encouraged and carefully reviewed. All characters within the story that need to be are 18 years of age or older. I hope you enjoy! And take a second to vote and comment.

This is a new twist for me, writing a story that takes place in the Middle Ages. I hope I've pulled it off. It does have a modern touch in that there's a strong female character at the center of the story. It's rather a romantic adventure story. Let me know what you think and if the language style bothers you or makes the reading difficult. I hope not.

Doing the research for this was fascinating, and I may try something similar in the future.

~~~

"My Lord, 'tis good to see thee feeling better this Monday morn."

"Sir Gregory, 'tis good to be rid of that dreadful plague that's besieged me these past few days."

"Has My Lady stayed well?"

"She says yes, but I suspect she's not so well. But she should be by and by."

"I pray that be so, My Lord, for she is well-loved by all the people."

"Aye, me thinks her more so than me." A gentle laugh from the king.

"Thy people love thee, My Lord." Randolf always strove to stay in good favor with his Liege.

"That's not my worry today, Randolf.

"I pray thy worry not be serious, My Lord."

"I too pray that, but I'm not sure, my faithful knight."

"What might it be that troubles thee?"

Randolf received a long look from Gregory. "Prince Hedley has disappeared."

"How so?"

"If only I had the answer to that."

Randolf waited for his king to continue.

"Yesternoon, he bid his mother goodbye, saying he'd be riding his horse to the lake to rest and perhaps to swim. This morn, she told me that she'd realized he always told when he'd return, but he'd said nothing this time."

"What can that mean, sire?"

Gregory looked around carefully, ensuring they were alone. This knight was the singular one he trusted to be discrete.

"The prince has been acting aloof and distracted the last fortnight, and the queen worries that something is amiss. I worry that Crispin is involved in some misadventure involving the prince."

"I shudder just hearing the name, Crispin, my lord. Should an arrow find his heart one day, I'd not be one to mourn."

"Nor I, Randolf. Nor I."

"Surely, My Lord, you have a plan to, well, find the prince."

"I have an idea, and I pray that yourself, Kenric, Orvyn, and Ricard might bring it to the conclusion we're hoping for."

"I'll gather them together later today, Sire, that thou might detail our quest forthrightly."

Randolf began his own quest to find the other three knights, which might be more challenging than one might imagine. None were married; thus, finding them was a problematic task, as home was not where they would likely be. The ale house might be a good place to begin.

The ale house of Leytonstoke was simply a house that served ale, a residence where part was set aside for serving the beverage, which was brewed by the owner. Ale varied greatly by house, but most patrons were more interested in alcohol than they were in taste.

Randolf's visit was fruitful, however, as both Kenric and Ricard were there, drawn no doubt, by the proprietor's bonny and maiden daughter, who often was there to serve its patrons. They were both intent on monopolizing the curly-haired beauty's time and attention, she obviously enjoying the knight's dalliances while knowing nothing serious would come of it.

"Kenric, Ricard, come. The king has need of us."

"And we have need of this enchantress, good Randolf."

The enchantress giggled but stepped away, not wanting to be in the center of disagreeing knights.

"Me father calls," she said as she backed away and slipped through a door.

Kenric chuckled. "A trip into the wood with that wench would be rewarding," he said, still looking at the now empty doorway.

"I think I shall lure her there before you," Ricard boasted, clearly challenging his fellow knight.

"Sir knights, the wench won't be leaving the ale house for the woods, but your king is waiting. And we must find Orvyn."

"He was going to the river, probably to scrub away the stench that's accompanied him through most of his life. We might find him there."

The three of them met Orvyn returning from the river, very clean as someone had given him a bit of soap, not readily available to all.

"Randolf, why does the king have need of us? A new war, perhaps?"

"There will be no war. But King Gregory will explain the quest we must embrace."

~~~

"Regina, what shall I wear today?" Queen Mirabel stared hopelessly at the room full of colorful and regal clothing.

"Your grace, that's not a question I often hear. Something must be troubling thee."

The Queen stared at her lady-in-waiting. " Yes, thou art right, of course." She closed her eyes. "Prince Hedley is missing."

"Your Highness, how can that be?"

Mirabel looked at her lady-in-waiting. She was taller than most ladies, more beautiful than most ladies, and much more clever than most anyone as well. This was why she was the Queen's lady-in-waiting. She was not of the nobility but had become known to Her Majesty through a friend of the court who'd intended having her as a servant but could easily see she was meant for a higher calling. Queen Mirabel would be forever thankful for his foresight.

"He left for a ride yesternoon and has not returned. The king fears that Crispin may be involved."

"Your grace, I fear that name, and to hear it in this manner is even more frightening. What might Crispin do if he indeed has the Prince?"

"Gregory fears he may make some horrific demand such as marriage to Princess Annora for the return of the Prince."

Regina gasped. "Oh, Your Majesty, could he do that, and would the king consent?"

"He could indeed, but I think not on the king's consent. And I believe Prince Hedley would not want that either. He loves his sister and would not condemn her to a life with the craven Crispin."

"Has the Prince's horse returned?"

"I've not heard, but Gregory has called Randolf and some of the other knights to a gathering to conceive a plan for finding or rescuing Prince Hedley."

"Will Milady be there as well?"

"I may not be invited, but I will be there. The prince be the son of both of us."

Regina smiled. She enjoyed the occasions when Queen Mirabel displayed courage and a bit of stubbornness. But there was more.

"Regina, why that look?"

Regina's head was bowed as she sought the proper words.

The Queen smiled, knowing Regina well. "You want to go with me."

Regina nodded. "I'm curious about everything, Your Majesty. And..."

"And? You expect you might outthink the knights about this?"

"Milady, I would never be so presumptuous."

"Perhaps not, but it would be no surprise if you did. Some knights are dolts. Some more so than others." The Queen touched Regina on the arm. "It would be unusual, but I think the scarf I'm wearing may need a slight repair, and it can't wait, so thou shall have to accompany me in my defiance of our culture."

This time, Regina chuckled. She loved her Queen, who recognized her for what she was.

~~~

"My wonderful Queen, I don't recall summoning you to this council," Gregory said as Queen Mirabel entered the council room. His expression was kind but definitely puzzled.

"Your grace, I took the liberty of inviting myself since the council involves our Prince."

Gregory grumbled, unwilling to banish her but feeling a bit disgruntled by her mild audacity.

"And your lady-in-waiting?"

"My scarf needed repair, and Regina was in the midst of that task when I heard of the council, so she is continuing her work."

Five male frowns answered what she'd said.

"She is perfectly faithful and reliable, and I would trust her with my soul," the queen assured them.

Regina trembled slightly at her Queen's words. She'd never heard that said before and bit her lower lip to keep from shedding a tear.

"She is the Prince's mother," Gregory finally said, casting a stern eye at the four knights. "And her prayers will be sincere and heartfelt." This time, he smiled at Mirabel.

"Randolf, we need a plan."

Regina whispered to the Queen.

"I was told his horse has returned," Mirabel said, eying the five men.

"True," replied Gregory, "and we sent men to search. In the meadow by the river, they found a single glove but nothing more."

"Except many hoof prints and crushed grass," Randolf added.

Mirabel looked even more concerned.

"It has to be Crispin."

Seven nodding heads confirmed that simple statement.

"And catching Crispin is like catching a darting butterfly. He's never where you think he will be."

"And he be anything but a butterfly."

"Yes, Crispin and his nefarious crew must move often to avoid sheriffs, angry mates, and cheated merchants. He leads a charmed life, it seems."

"Charmed but cursed. And we four are the ones who'll apply the curse once we find the lout."

With unforeseen temerity, Regina spoke. "Why not allow it to be we five?" she asked boldly.

A moment of silence, then loud laughter from the knights.

"We are warriors," Kenric exclaimed, "and you are a mere damsel, if indeed our Queen's lady-in-waiting." Words needed to be chosen carefully when around royalty.

"I am stronger than most damsels and bigger, and my brain is constantly full of ideas. And," she added with a smile, "I am able to do things that warriors cannot."

Both the King and Queen's eyes were wide. They'd never experienced such imprudent words from a commoner. Still, each understood what she was saying and implying.

The four knights huffed and shook their heads, feeling no reply was needed for such foolish words.

Regina said no more and feared she had already said much more than she should have. A quick smile from the queen reassured her.

The knights were mumbling among themselves, arms waving and heads shaking. A maiden accompanying knights on a quest was unknown and unpopular with the chosen four. While the four quibbled, Mirabel confided in her King.

"Sir knights!" Gregory's stern voice quieted the group, and they listened.

"Randolf, what is it that produces the greatest hatred of Crispin?"

"His thievery and his untoward treatment of women, Sire."

Gregory simply looked at Regina, then back to the knights.

"Milord, are you suggesting that Her Majesty's lady-in-waiting be a lure?"

"Were it only that simple, Sir Randolf. Before dealing with him, the crafty Crispin must be found." Gregory turned to Regina. "Her Majesty speaks highly of thee, Regina. What say thee now?"

"Milord and Lady and Sirs. I am but a commoner serving Her Majesty. Her joy and happiness are my reward. Our Prince is gone, stolen away by the paragon of evil and greed, and I pledge to do whatever is asked of me to secure his safe return. I submit myself to whatever decision is reached."

Ricard, who had been mostly silent to this point, spoke. "All of my being rebels at the thought of having a wench join our quest. But looking and listening, I see Regina as no ordinary nor common wench."

The oft foul-smelling Orvyn spoke next. "No person would believe that His Majesty's knights would be joined by a wench, especially a wench such as this one." He smiled at Regina, who was now holding her breath.

Kenric spoke again. "I said we were warriors, and that is very true. But warriors may not be able to tease a tale from an ale-clogged friend of Crispin as our comely maiden could easily do."

"Randolf, your fellows have spoken. What say you?"

"I turn to my Queen and her lady-in-waiting. There is danger ... much danger when it is Crispin."

"Regina?" Queen Mirabel questioned.

"I've had my say, Milady." Regina bowed her head, awaiting her fate.

"She is a brave maiden," the Queen concluded.

Thus, it was determined that there be a most unusual quest with four brave knights and perhaps an even braver maiden.

Regina couldn't contain a broad smile.

The gathering adjourned to prepare, and Regina and Mirabel returned to the Queen's quarters. The Princess Annora awaited them.

"I have been hearing things, my mother, and I'm aware that Hedley has disappeared. What's to be done concerning that?"

The Queen looked at Regina, who had her eyes on Annora. Despite their difference in social status, they had become friends inside the castle.

"A group has been organized to search for the Prince."

"A group?" Annora questioned.

"Four honorable knights ... and an exceedingly brave maiden."

One look at Regina gave Annora her answer, a small gasp escaping her open mouth.

"How can that be?" Annora knew that a maiden on a quest was unheard of. But she also knew something else that only she and Regina shared, and she was not about to break that bond.

"Regina spoke wisely enough to sway the knights as well as His Majesty. Her bravery is beyond even what I'd imagined, and I know her well."

"My prayers will accompany you, Regina, and I anticipate reuniting with my beloved brother even before I begin to miss him." She moved to Regina and hugged her. "Godspeed, my friend," she added.

~~~

Five horses stood at the ready, pawing at the ground, seemingly anticipating the adventure that lay ahead. The sixth horse, heavily laden, stood steadfastly with the others, accepting his assigned task with stoic fortitude.

The king and queen were there, bidding the adventurers a timorous farewell. Confidence was one thing; dealing with Crispin was another. But they felt certain there was no way of avoiding it.

"Shall the lady be riding as Her Majesty does?" Sir Randolf asked with a smile, lightening things a mite.

"I can if needed, but for now, I shall ride as the knights do." She returned his smile, having received the nearly unqualified support of the knights. She gathered her skirt and was quickly on her steed, waiting for the others.

They mounted, bid the Royals farewell, and disappeared into the forest, leaving Leytonstoke behind. The extraordinary and somewhat bizarre quest had begun.

The group had used their combined knowledge and experience to be aware of every settlement, tavern, inn, and ale house that might provide information or knowledge of Crispin. Their challenge would be to use that knowledge and their talents to find and rescue the Prince.

They rode in silence the first hour, each pondering what might be happening next.

"Sir Randolf, what if Crispin is innocent of kidnapping Prince Hedley?"

The clopping of the horse's hooves filled the silence of the unanswered question.

"I pray that not be true, Regina, for if it is, we need to start anew, and I have no ideas regarding that."

The three other knights nodded in unison. That what she was doing might be in vain caused Regina's stomach to rebel. She missed the prince and was already praying for his return.

Another hour and Randolf signaled for a stop. He immediately dismounted and ran toward a copse of small trees. Kenric and Ricard followed at a leisurely walk. It was clearly an emergency relief stop for Randolf. Regina spotted a clump of bushes and, after disappearing for a moment, was back with the horses. She'd anticipated this situation and planned for it. She was thankful for the chivalrous behavior of the knights.

As the three walked toward her and the horses, she said, "You walk straight and tall, like knights."

"We are knights," Kendrick countered immediately with a smirk.

"For this place and in Leytonstoke, you are a knight, but for the villages ahead, you must be commoners."

"Listen, wench," Randolf immediately said, anger in his voice, "you do not tell four knights what to do. Shall I send you back to the castle to be a lady-in-waiting once again?"

"Your honors, I mean not to direct thees what to do, but rather merely and humbly to suggest what might accomplish our quest. Shall I then remain silent forthwith?"

Randolf was about to agree to Regina remaining silent when Orvyn was quickly beside him, speaking softly into his ear.

"My good Randolf, the wench speaks wisely, I believe. The people of the village who might have knowledge of Crispin would be fearful for their own safety speaking of him to a knight, even if they be fuddled enough from ale to slide beneath the table."

"Ah, yes, but to a commoner ... " Randolf paused and nodded but did not apologize. "We shall slouch, shuffle, and care little about dirt." He glanced at Regina, but she had no reaction, which told him she agreed with what he'd just said. He remembered Her Majesty, the Queen, taking him aside to assure him that Regina was strong and wise and to use those virtues prudently. He needed to honor that request. "What more, Regina?"

"In the village, thou, Sir Randolf, shall go to the tavern first. A bit later, Sir Orvyn and I will enter. Later, Sir Kenric and Sir Ricard will enter. We should be friendly travelers and listen carefully. Should anyone find promise but reluctance, signal Sir Orvyn, and he will appear to be drunk." She paused, the reality of what she was about to say impacting her once more. "After he leaves my side, I shall do all I can to retrieve the necessary information."

The four knights nodded, willing to sacrifice their lives for their king and queen, but having no basis for understanding what Regina'sI shall do all I can might mean for her.

It was less than an hour's more ride to the first village, and when they drew near, they separated as Regina had suggested, all finally inside the rather long main room. There were probably thirty others already inside enjoying some late-morning ale and a stew of some type of meat and vegetables. There was loud talking and much laughter.

The five joined in with both the laughter and the talk, Regina drawing much attention due to her size and her beauty. Casual questions about thievery and other mischief received almost totally negative responses. Crispin did not seem to be active in the vicinity of this village.

When Regina and Orvyn had seated themselves at the large table, it had been empty. Now, all ten places were filled, and Regina was certainly the center of attention. The proprietor leaned in close to her ear.

"Lass, if thee come here each day, it would be a tankard of ale and some days a meal as well." He had visions of advertising that this beautiful lass would be there to be viewed.

"Alas, my good man, I am a simple traveler and me and my mate must keep moving."

He scowled at Orvyn, who certainly didn't appear to be one who was qualified to be her "mate."

"So be it, then." He moved on to serve another table."

"My good man, surely you're not about to take this damsel from us," one of the men at the table said.

Regina spoke immediately. "I am certainly not royalty," she said, "just a frail traveler."

"Ye be not frail by any notion," another said. "Ye be buxom and delectable for certain."

Regina nudged Orvyn under the table. He took the cue.

"Come, wench. We need be moving along. We've far to go before darkness. What is owed?" he called to the proprietor.

"For such a splendid lass, twill be eight farthings. And stop again when thees return," he said as Orvyn handed him the fare.

They left the tavern and returned to the grove of trees where they'd left the horses, the others already there and waiting.

"It seems they are not bothered by Crispin here," Randolf said.

"But our Regina, who proclaimed me hermate, was offered a daily tankard of ale just to be there."

PickFiction
PickFiction
1,433 Followers