The Maiden and the Quest

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And a meal," Regina added to laughter from the four.

"I think Her Majesty displayed royal wisdom in sending this lassie," Kendric said as Randolf gazed at the sky.

"Tavern number two, where we will rest tonight, is still a half day's ride away."

They rode on with only a quick rest stop. The tavern meal was very good, but the questioning provided the same results as they had found at the first. Randolf secured a room, and after two tankards of ale each, they retired to the room, Regina stumbling on the stairs twice, hoping she remembered in the morning that one tankard was still more than she was used to and the most her body would tolerate.

The knights, being of higher rank, had wool blankets, as did Regina due to her position. She'd slept with her brothers at home but had her own tiny room at the castle. Sleeping in this small room with four strangers was irregular, but she was not concerned. There was honor, and there was the certainty of the wrath of Their Majesty's should bad behavior happen. The king had been generous with money since the extent of the quest was unknown. After a small breakfast, they settled with the tavern, the bill amounting to two shillings and three pence.

They traveled most of the morning in the bright sunlight, then entered a thick forest, so dense it seemed that it was dusk and not afternoon. The track was narrow, and they rode single file, with even the horses showing care in where they stepped.

"Were Crispin choosing a den, this miserable wood would do well," Ricard said, glancing around at the thick trunks and dense foliage that seemed to be swallowing them.

Regina looked around, too, feeling a chill go up and down her spine, almost as though she were being watched. It was something she hadn't experienced before and had her looking around carefully, watching for any movement or color that didn't seem to belong.

Randolf raised his hand, and they stopped. He appeared to be searching the woods, his head moving back and forth.

"This be a strange place," Orvyn said. "I'm wary of wolves, bears, ... and the phantoms that are lurking about."

A murmur of agreement sounded, and Regina shivered. Once more, the reality of what she was doing and might be doing assailed her. She almost wished she were back at the castle attending the queen. But she was able to picture Prince Hedley, sweet Prince Hedley, and that helped her refocus on her task.

"Someone approaches," Randolf warned. They were able to clear the road as the sound of hooves filled the silence.

An old man on a donkey appeared.

"I have no money," he called, "and there's no reason to harm me." He raised his arms in submission.

"No fear, good man. What brings you along this road?" Randolf asked.

"I flee the village of Gwenlynde and have challenged the Frostford Woods to do it. I pray I have not fallen upon ill fortune now."

"We travel to Gwenlynde ourselves, and you are nearly free of Frostford Woods."

"Tis not a kind place," the old man said as he looked from face to face. "Particularly for the lass," he added, nodding at Regina.

"Why say you that," Orvyn inquired.

"The evil common men of the village who think themselves gentry are no respecters of women, particularly those with a face like thine," he said directly to Regina. "And bury thy money in the forest, hoping that thee may return to retrieve it."

"Such ominous words, fellow traveler."

"If thees must go to the village, hide the lass in the forest, though some of the evil band roam there as well."

"Evil band?"

More looks from the old man whose donkey seemed anxious to move on.

"Ye be travelers, so the band may be unknown to ye. The most vile one of them all leads the band. Crispin are his name."

"We know the name, Goodman, and your ass paws at the earth, like you, anxious to leave the forest."

"Fare thee well, travelers. May thee avoid that rascal, Crispin, as I was able to do."

The donkey and the old man soon disappeared from sight.

Randolf turned his horse toward Regina. "You and Orvyn shall return to the castle," he said very decisively.

If only they knew Regina thought to herself. She was frightened, and she understood that courage meant going forward even when frightened.

"His Majesty added me to the quest, Sir Randolf, and only he can remove me."

Regina held her breath, awaiting the expected tongue-lashing. She was a commoner, indeed a very special commoner, but it was beyond her station to speak to a knight in that manner. She strove to sit tall in the saddle despite her trembling. Should Randolf order her to return, she'd have no choice.

Randolph was confounded and deep in thought. The other three knights awaited the always sagacious response of their leader. What could he say?

"Regina was sent to possibly tantalize men and gain information from them. She is not like any woman I've known. Her courage is notable, if eventually foolish. Our queen has testified to her capabilities. I was perhaps hasty to almost defy our queen and this lass. If she should choose to stay, I stand with her decision. Regina?"

"Sir Knight, our quest is to rescue the prince, and I am part of the quest. When I return to Leytonstoke, I shall do it in the company of our prince." She could barely wait for that to happen, as other things would happen as well.

"Then on to Gwenlynde we go," said Randolf as he turned his horse back to the road.

Silence filled the air as they approached the village. They stopped at the edge of the forest, and Randolf looked hard at Regina.

"Fair lady, I know not what may lay ahead for thee. Inside the tavern, we shall be there should anything amiss take place. Should thee choose to leave the tavern, perhaps with someone, we shall follow closely."

"Thank thee, but remember that I have a voice and can scream loudly if needed. And would any of you have a knife that I might carry beneath my dress?"

"Lass, a knife?"

"As a youngster, my brothers and I had many contests of knife throwing, and I often won."

Having gotten to know Regina a bit due to this quest, none of them doubted what she said, and Orvyn produced a knife from his pack and handed it to her.

"I pray this knife stays hidden beneath thy dress, and thee has no need to use it."

"I pray the same, Orvyn, but I shall not shy from that task should it be necessary."

A few more words of caution and they resumed the ride to the village, now able to be seen in the distance.

Fearful of having all their goods stolen while they were in the tavern, Ricard was designated to stand watch with them. He vowed to react quickly should he be needed.

There were the sounds of much shouting and laughter from inside the tavern, and nothing changed upon Randolf's entry there. It was much different when Regina and Orvyn entered.

"Look at the face on that one," someone shouted.

"And the teats, too," sounded another.

"She be tall and a tussle to bed, no doubt," said a third.

"We'll see to that before the day be over," another added.

Regina's blood ran cold at the words she was hearing. She realized, though, that it was why she was there. Loose tongues were more likely around her than the others. The two of them found a table, sat down, and shouted for tankards of ale.

Despite their words and their shouting, the men of the tavern recognized Orvyn to be big and strong and not one to anger. Only the one who'd admired herteats seemed brave enough to seat himself at the table with them.

Regina noted that he was of moderate height-she might be taller-had at least two missing teeth, and his hands were not grimy, unlike most of the others, but very much like the four knights. His clothing was simple yet clean. He was not a farmer nor a laborer. She pondered the obvious.

"Be this your tavern, sir?" she asked.

"I am no sir, and no, this be Alden's tavern, the one with no hair and drinking his profits." He pointed.

She smiled, as did Orvyn.

"Where be ye traveling to or from?" he asked, his voice now gentle and seemingly very friendly.

"We come from Leytonstoke and head on to Greysonbend."

"Good that ye have stopped here to rest, then." the man assured them. "And I, Burchard, am here to serve thee."

She remembered the look on Burchard's face when she had entered and also his comment. The one talking now was the same ... but very different, and she was wary but thought he might be the key to locating the prince. Her foot nudged Orvyn beneath the table, who glanced over at Randolf.

"I shall return in a moment," he said and went to join Randolf.

"Be he your husband?"

"No, he travels with me to care for me. He is but a friend."

"The forest near Leytonstoke, be it like the one here?"

"Tis a fine forest, but not as deep and dark as this one be." She turned her head to look out the door. "I see it curves around the back of the tavern."

"And it be a place of wonder as well. I spend much time there amongst the trees and the animals."

"What animals?" She was doing what she'd come there for but wasn't sure who was leading the other astray. She was sure she'd soon find out.

"Big ones, wolf and bear and deer, but many small ones, too. Do thee fancy animals."

She didn't, but she was about to.

"We have some around our village, but mostly rats."

"We have our rats too, but before you travel on, would thee enjoy seeing some of what we have here?"

Another chill ran down her spine, and she sensed the danger in the innocent words of Burchard. She had her knife and her wits. Would that be enough?

"My friend has found his friend, so perhaps just a few minutes."

"If we are fortunate, we can see a few special creatures in that time. Come," he beckoned.

They exited through a side door and were quickly in the forest, Regina surprised at how quickly the space around her darkened. Burchard took hold of her wrist. She prayed that the four knights were following.

They were moving quickly through the trees, and Burchard was making no move to show her any animals.

"Do you live in these woods?" she asked.

"Some," he answered, "but I have a cottage as well."

"Where are the animals I'm meant to see?" she asked, suspecting what the answer would be. She also thought if she spoke, the knights might hear and be able to stay near.

"Much further along," he said as he tugged her wrist, ensuring that she'd follow.

"Perhaps I should return to my friend," she said, struggling to free her wrist.

Burchard surprised her by stopping quickly. Somehow, a knife had appeared in his hand.

"We shall be going to my place in the forest," he said, the friendly look gone. "And I shall soon be squeezing thy teats and more."

Regine ceased struggling to free her wrist, once more praying the knights were behind them and hoping for a chance to force this man to take her to the prince. That was why she was here.

They came upon a small clearing where there had been a campfire and the appearance of being used as a gathering place. Could this be where Crispin and his men savored the spoils of their ill-gained plunder? It seemed to fit.

Burchard searched the area with his eyes. "They be gone, but that's for the good since I won't have to share thee."

Regina cringed. Share her? She knew what that might be and wanted none of it.

"My friends will find you," she said, struggling to provide some time for the knights to appear. She could only hear the sounds of the birds, the breeze through the leaves, and the buzzing of some insects. Where were they?

"Now, lass, shall you shed your clothes willingly, or will I have to do it for you? That will, of course, cause you some pain and the demise of the clothing for certain."

He was standing away from her, not worried that she'd try to run. She took a step backward.

"Ah, the lass teases. Perhaps I shall let you run and then chase you. T'would be entertainment, for sure."

Though trembling, Regina gathered herself. "Thou thinks thee must force me to do thy will, but perhaps I may surprise thee."

That brought a smile to Burchard's face.

Regina took a deep breath, hoping she could actually say what she was planning to say.

"I challenge thee to catch me if you can."

"That be not much of a challenge," he snickered.

"I shall remove my dress, which will give me more freedom to run; you will give me a head start, and then you chase. If, perchance, you catch me, I can show you what I've learned in my still very young life." She hoped he couldn't detect her trembling.

"The lass believes she can show me something? She can show Burchard something?" He laughed loudly. "Such spunk thou does display, lassie. Shed your dress or more, and a head start will be given. Beware of when I catch thee, though. I shall be showing thee what I have learned, as well." He laughed loudly.

If this didn't work, Regina was aware of what lay ahead for her. At least she was wearing something beneath the dress, if only a small strapped linen chemise. She stepped further away from Burchard, turned her back, and carefully removed the dress. When playing with her brothers, she'd run quite a bit and hoped her long legs would serve her well now.

She turned to face him, noting thehungry look on his face.

"Count to fifty for my start," she said, wondering if he was able to count.

"You ask too much. Forty it shall be."

She wasn't about to argue, fearful of getting no start at all. She knew that there was only one outcome that would save her, as there was still no sign of the knights. She hadn't anticipated doing this alone but now had no choice.

She turned and ran from the clearing into the forest, dodging the trees and skirting the undergrowth as best she could. She slowed a touch, knowing she'd quickly be out of breath. Sooner than expected, she could hear Burchard behind her, drawing closer by the moment.

In seconds, she was certain he could see her back as she swung around a huge bush. Digging in her heels, she bent and picked up the broken branch lying at her feet. Grasping it tightly, she backed into the bush ... and waited.

She didn't have long to wait as he rounded the bush at a full run. She swung the branch with all her strength and heard the thud as it impacted his head. He grunted as he went down on his face into the dried leaves and sticks. She hesitated only a second before kneeling and ripping off his tunic. She tore it into strips and bound his hands behind his back. Next, she tied his legs much as one would hobble a horse.

She paused a moment, then joined the remainder of the strips together. She tied it around his neck as he began to stir. Her knife was still with her dress, but she was now holding his. He strained at the restraints, then lifted his head.

"Now, I need something from thee," she fairly snarled at Burchard.

"This will cost thee dearly, bitch," he replied.

"I would be overjoyed to wrap thy entrails twice about this bush, and I have this knife, thy knife, to accomplish it. So, best thee listen and obey."

Regina grabbed Burchard's ragged black hair and bent his head back.

"First, this eye and then the other," she said slowly. "Perhaps the tongue after that. Or maybe this," she said, jamming her hand between his legs.

The panic on Burchard's face was obvious, and he was breathing harder now and more than from the running.

"Perhaps we can work something out," he said as she poked him gently with the knife.

"I've come for the prince."

"Ha, no one sends a wench to rescue a prince."

She poked him harder with the knife.

"Crispin would feed me to the pigs if I revealed the prince to thee or to anyone."

"Crispin, is it? Pig fodder you be, then. Or, perhaps, I shall cut out thy tongue to create silence, then tie thee to the ground to be eaten alive by the wolves and bears. Such would be a proper fate for thee."

With no response from the prone figure, Regina took the longer piece of the tied-together tunic and directed it under the piece that tied his legs together. She stood over him and pulled up on the tie. His feet left the ground, and he began to choke. She held it there until his face was bright red, and his eyes seemed to be bulging. She released the tie, and he collapsed onto the dirt.

Once more, "The prince."

The only sound from Burchard was his continued gasping. So, she lifted the tie once more. When his eyes bulged again, she lowered it.

More gasping until he finally said, "I'll take thee to the prince, but if Crispin is there, thee will wish it was me rather than him."

She stepped away, knife in hand and holding the long tie. After careful instructions from Regina, he shuffled through the forest.

"Thee were running straight toward him," Burchard said, still gasping slightly. We're nearly there. What awaits me then?" he asked.

"We have not seen the prince yet, so such things must wait their turn."

Through the trees, she could see a small shelter of some kind.

"He is there," Burchard said.

"Then we will remain silent," she cautioned. "And thou will be cursed if thou art lying."

"He is there."

Regina had her captive sit by a tree, and she wrapped the tie twice around the tree and his neck then tied it carefully. He would not be leaving.

"My prince," she whispered, and his head snapped around.

"Regina. How be ye here?"

"Tis a story to be shared in Leytonstoke. But now, we must free thee."

"And leave Crispin's God-forsaken forest and this miserable shelter that does nothing to protect me from the cold."

Regina, full of new-found courage, smiled at the still-restrained prince. "That is something to look forward to," she said with a sly smile.

"But Regina," he said as he averted his gaze. "I should not be seeing you like this, clad in only this ... this." He stopped, still looking away.

"Thou art restrained, so I have no fear being ravaged by thee," she said as she lifted the chemise over her head and off. She was naked.

Of course, even Prince Hedley could not resist a glance and then a second glance. Finally, he fixed his gaze on her.

"If thou be as you are now when thou releases me, I cannot vouch for thy safety."

Regina determined that she had tormented her prince and lover enough and slid the chemise over her head and covered herself once more. She knew that Hedley would never forget what he had just seen.

She untied him carefully, and they retraced her steps, hoping she could find the clearing and her dress once more. The undergrowth still showed the signs of their passing, and she burst into the clearing to find the four knights seated there, discussing what to do next.

"My prince," the four said, almost in unison. But, try as they might, they could not keep from gazing at Regina. The prince stepped in front of her, and they all immediately looked away.

It was a struggle, but Regina was finally fully clothed again.

"Regina, thou hast found the prince, just as Her Majesty and yourself said. And he who was with thee, what of him?" Randolf was curious and also wary.

His tunic has him tied tightly to a tree, and he shall stay there until he's found. He's fearful that Crispin shall make him pay for losing our prince.

Prince Hadley has moved beside Regina and was actually pressing against her.

Orvyn nodded. "Our prince appears thankful for the lass's saving him."

"I shall hear the story in full soon, but there's much more to be told." His eyes rested on Regina, his face filled with a warm smile. "Thou art rightly named, Regina, for when the time is right..." The prince paused and looked at the knights. "When the time is right, she shall be your queen."

Four surprised looks went from the prince to Regina and back.

"My Lord?" Randolf questioned.

"Yes, we need hurry to Leytonstoke and the castle. The people must meet she who would be their new princess."