The Merger

Story Info
Can two retired Type-A CEOs find love?
6.2k words
4.6
6.4k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A special thanks to Chunks for review and editing.

PROLOGUE

With backgrounds as corporate leaders, they approached their growing friendship and affection cautiously lest either expose too much and be seen as weak. Despite the wariness, their relationship was approaching a level of deep unconditional trust. He knew about her challenges of being among the top in every class while being a female; how her parents were proud of her academic achievements but also expected a traditional stay-at-home daughter who would provide numerous grandchildren; the attempts to shame her choice of a career at family gatherings; and how her aloofness was a cover to keep emotional pain at bay. She knew his father felt showing love or praise was a sign of weakness; how his Mom hated conflict so always supported her husband; and his strong competitive streak was a way to show dominance and control. Now they shared divorce stories.

"And that's my story," sighed Henry Worden. Her head lay on his chest as they faced the late summer sunset. Henry gently ran his right hand up and down her arm.

"That is some story. But I don't understand how she could accuse you of being uncaring. I mean, look at the way you have arranged these weekend getaways? This one, for example, complete with a secluded cabin overlooking the lake? The way you treat me? You are really a very kind and thoughtful gentleman."

He smiled. "Thanks, but she was right. Back when my sights were on being the next CEO at Allied Glass nothing stood in the way. Not even my marriage. I promised her when I got the prize there would finally be time to be a good husband and she held on to that hope. We were kidding ourselves because once I made CEO, the workday went from 10 hours a day to 12 or 16 hours plus weekend meetings. So, she finally got tired of being less important than the company and filed for divorce. Can't say that I blame her. But enough about me. Tell me why Elaine Brewster is among the eligible."

"Well, I married out of college like you but where your ex was happy to be home my ex and I both wanted careers. And neither of us wanted kids. We landed underwriting jobs in Property Casualty insurance but different companies. He was in the home office and I was in a competing branch operation a few blocks away. Jim's sights were always set on moving up the corporate ladder as fast as possible. He was working in mainstream coverages while my little branch was charged with some specialty programs designed for specific type of businesses. He advanced and I focused on helping make the branch more profitable. Eventually I was promoted to branch manager. After receiving a 10 year pin and Branch Manager of the Year award, his company contacted me about an underwriting job in their home office. Jim and I talked at length about it and they assured us there was no problem with spouses in the company since we were in different departments. Jim was fine with it because he thought it was a dead-end job."

She fell silent after gripping Henry's hand.

"You OK?"

"Just still mad at him for what happened next," she said coldly.

He wrapped his hand over hers and said, "You discovered his affair with an administrative assistant?"

"Jim was now a Senior VP at Pacific All Risk overseeing company operations. In those 15 years I moved from underwriting to Regional Underwriting, to Large Accounts to eventually leading a department called 'New Products Development'. We analyzed trends and directions in the insurance markets and came up with new contracts, coverages, or endorsements for our eight different specialty branches. And no, there was no affair."

Henry yawned then apologized to Elaine. She smiled saying, "Talking about insurance does that to people."

"Anyway," she continued, "Jim was one of 5 Senior VPs. I reported to an Executive VP who was part of the next tier. Then, the company was bought out and the new owners wanted change. Their impression was that all the Senior VPs were busy preserving the status quo instead of focusing on growth and innovation. But they also wanted to promote from within so they brought in what they called a Temporary CEO. The VP I reported to decided it was a good time to retire and he suggested me as his replacement. The issue of spouses came up again but the new owners said it was not a problem for them if we were OK with it. Jim was a little uncertain but decided it was acceptable because he was still a level above me."

"Why didn't they just leave this guy in as CEO?"

"Turns out he had a great gift for getting companies turned around but was lousy at keeping them going because he got bored once the dust settled. So, he trotted all over the world getting new acquisitions running for the parent company, looking for people in the organization to promote, then moving on. He put together a group of people he thought would be innovative then gave us different tasks to do. It was sort of like that TV show 'The Apprentice' except no one got fired."

"Was Jim OK with you being part of this elite group?" asked Henry.

"Are you kidding? He was livid! He saw all his dreams slipping away and there was nothing he could do about it. We were The Chosen Ones," Elaine emphasized with air quotes, "and we could do no wrong. At least that's how Jim saw it. I was one of two Executive VPs in the group and the rest were VPs, Assistant VPs, and a few directors. What Jim didn't see was that we were under a microscope and this interim CEO was getting feedback from EVERYONE in the company about us. Plus, with all the special meetings our regular workload didn't decrease. I didn't think I had a chance so decided to have fun with the tasks and complete them to the best of my ability. Jim was busy sowing seeds of doubt on all of us including me. Somehow, I managed not to offend anyone, got the tasks done on time, and they were done well if I do say so myself. Sometimes I was leading a team and sometimes I was a contributing member. Our final assignment was to write a paper on where the company should be going in the next 5 years. Jim kept trying to tell me how to write the paper and what I should say but the ideas were all wrong. It was like he was intentionally feeding me bad information. That's when I began to wonder just how far he might go to sabotage my chances. I guess the CEO Temp liked me the best because one day he called us all in and announced that my name was being submitted for the CEO position."

"How did Jim take it?"

"Well, he was outwardly supportive, but inwardly he was mad as hell. Within four weeks he resigned and I was served divorce papers. Three weeks after that he left for a CEO job in Oregon."

"How did that go?"

"He lasted about five years but created one of the best golden parachutes I've ever seen. I was told he married some young thing after retiring but I don't know and, frankly, don't care. I was CEO for 15 years."

"I was CEO for 14 years," he said quietly.

"Was it worth it?", she asked.

"Overall, yes. We expanded the product line, increased revenue, added staff, and paid out record dividends. My personal life went to hell, but it is a rare person who can be an ideal CEO, Dad, and husband. I never found the balance. There was always one more business plan, another problem to solve, more critical meetings to attend, figuring out the next course of action. I loved it. Probably too much. Almost like an addiction. What about you? Was your career worth it? What would you do differently?"

"I like to think I helped make a difference for other career people who happen to be women. There are times not having children bothers me a little but not enough to change the past. The biggest change I would make is apply the axiom 'trust but verify' with others early in life."

"A penny for your thoughts?" he asked after a few moments.

"Just thinking here we are a couple of corporate leaders who have gone from being feared, respected, and sought out for advice to a couple of retired people with respectable incomes and little else to show for our efforts."

She shifted position on Henry's lap. All the talk of corporate intrigue and achievement had given him an erection that he was sure Elaine could feel.

"It's getting dark. What say we go inside and continue the conversation?" he asked.

"If you don't mind, I want to sit out here a little longer."

"OK by me. I'll fix us something to drink. Come in when you're ready."

Henry kissed her hand and lips then walked into the cabin. Elaine sat down on the deck lounge dividing her attention between watching him through the sliding glass door and the calming sunset. He fixed a couple of scotch and waters then came into the den, set the drinks on the coffee table, picked up a remote and turned on the CD player. When he caught her eye, Henry held up the drinks. Elaine could hear the soft romantic music and smiled at him but did not move. Every so often she would steal a glance at Henry. He finished his drink and made another one. After he fell asleep on the couch, Elaine quietly went to her bed.

The next morning they drove back to town in silence. It was late afternoon when Henry pulled into her driveway. They kissed at the door, but Henry was not invited in.

"I need to do some grocery shopping tomorrow. Would you like to come?" she asked.

"Sure. Pick you up at 10:00?"

"Can I pick you up, instead? After all, you drove us to that beautiful resort. I would like to make it up to you, please."

"The counteroffer is acceptable."

The next day was also quiet as they shopped. While pushing their carts toward her car Henry blurted, "What do you not like about me?"

"What do you mean?" she replied.

"I mean there must be something about me you don't like."

"Why do you think that?"

"DAMMIT Elaine, you know very well why I think that! We've been dating for 4 months now, right?"

Elaine pushed her medium cut gray hair behind her right ear. It was the first time she had seen Henry acting like a pouting little boy.

"Correct," she replied noncommittally.

"And in that time, we have seen each other at least 4 times a week plus had 3 weekends out of town together, right?"

"Right again"

"And in that time together, you have always enjoyed yourself, right?"

"Absolutely".

"And you meant those things you said about me at the lake cabin a few nights ago, correct?"

"Yes, of course."

Henry assumed the power-stance of hands resting delicately on hips and feet spread. She put the groceries in the back seat of the SUV then got behind the wheel.

Henry watched her calm demeanor in awe and rage. No woman had ever been unafraid of him. He stomped around the car and got in on the passenger side.

"Now I want to ask you a question and I want a straight answer," his voice demanding instant obedience.

"Where are your groceries?" she asked after he slammed the car door.

"They're..." he looked behind him then up at the shopping cart holding two bags.

"Oh hell!" he grunted getting out of the car. He put the cart away then carried the sacks to the car and tossed them in the back seat.

"Now, as I was saying" pausing dramatically to make his point.

"Lunch?"

"Huh? Oh, sure." said Henry.

"Is Lew's OK?"

"Fine" he replied. "Now as I was saying....."

"Our first date was at Lew's, wasn't it?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah.....I took you there after we helped that young couple with a business plan at that retired CEO mentoring meeting."

Elaine replied, "I remember how surprised you were that I knew about Lew's and that I love a good chili."

"You are always surprising me, Elaine".

"She's stalling for time! By God, I think she is a little afraid of me. Well, I'll let her stew in her own fear juices for a moment then hit her with the question!" declared his inner voice.

When it seemed the delay was long enough, he said "Elaine, what I want to ask is..."

"Here we are!" She went through the ritual of parking and emerging from the car while Henry sat dumbfounded.

Before closing her door, she bent down asking, "You OK? You look like a zombie."

"Uh...... yeah......coming"

"How does she DO that? I have a simple question and she dances around it easier than Fred Astaire or Gene Kelley."

They ate in silence. She worked hard to keep a neutral face thinking about his parking lot tantrum. Henry mentally retraced their earlier discussion trying to understand where he lost control.

She put her hand over his and said, "Why don't you come to my place. There is something I need to get off my chest."

"Your clothes?" he asked hopefully.

"No, you dirty old man." She grinned playfully striking his hand. "But we really do need to talk. I've held off because...well, because...."

The years of experience in corporate intrigue kicked in. The tone of her voice was not carefree. Her eyes bored into his.

"This sounds serious." he said.

"It is," she said firmly.

"It's about us, right?"

"Yes"

"Does it have to do with the question I was trying to ask earlier that you so adroitly avoided?"

"I don't know. What was the question?" Her twinkling eye and ever so slight smile told him she knew precisely what he wanted to ask.

Before another distraction appeared, he leaned forward and blurted out in a loud whisper, "How come we haven't had sex?"

Her eyes dropped to the table.

"That's what I want to talk with you about" she said quietly squeezing his hand.

"Possible deal breaker?"

"Yes. It depends on your reaction".

Throughout his career, Henry had shown an uncanny instinct to quickly bore into the heart of a problem and summarize the issues. Unfortunately, this amazing gift didn't work as well in social settings. The symphony of clanging plates, tinkling glasses, and general conversation hit a rest so all was quiet just as he asked in a loud whisper, "Are you afraid I'm too much man for you?"

Elaine sensed heads turning toward them from every direction. She jerked her hand away saying, "What the.... Where did you get an idea like that?!" she hissed.

"Well, if you aren't afraid of me are you frigid? Maybe a lesbian? Are you one of those genders in transit?" he asked more loudly with the irritating confidence of someone convinced they had solved the problem.

"Certainly not!"

Elaine bolted out of Lew's. Henry hastily paid the check and followed, just barely getting in the car as she sped away.

She spoke rapidly and distinctly.

"Look. I am a heterosexual with normal sexual desires. I am NOT frigid, nor a lesbian, nor transgender, and I am CERTAINLY not afraid of you! The reason I want to talk is because I care about you."

"Not having sex is caring?"

"Yes!... I mean no!... I mean.... Oh God, I don't know what I mean!"

The drive to Henry's house was quiet until Elaine said, "Let's go to my place and talk about this."

Henry countered, "I know this is very important to you. It's important to me also. So, can we discuss this on neutral ground? That way neither can accuse the other of having home turf advantage. I'll make arrangements and we can talk without any interruptions. And bring a change of clothes because the meeting could take a while. OK with you?"

She thought about the offer and decided it was made in good faith so agreed.

Arrangements were quickly decided upon. Elaine would drop Henry off at his place, he would arrange for a place, then get Elaine. She agreed to be ready by 4:00.

Promptly at 4:00, Henry was knocking on Elaine's door. She handed her bag to him then saw the car.

"WOW! You sure know how to make a girl feel special," she said stepping into the chauffeured limousine.

"That's because you are special. At least, to me," replied Henry sheepishly.

"Where are we going?" asked Elaine.

Henry proudly declared, "The Towers. We have the Executive Suite for the next three days. I wasn't sure how long negotiations would take."

"Excellent choice, Henry. I used it many times to entertain agents and suppliers. Apparently, you did also."

While the limousine threaded through traffic, they traded war stories about clients and deals they had made there. The Towers manager greeted them as they emerged from the car.

"Ms. Brewster and Mr. Worden, how wonderful to see you both. I think this is the first time I have seen you here at the same time which makes this a double pleasure," he beamed.

The manager signaled a bell hop to carry their bags, then personally checked them in at the front desk, gave them their keys, and escorted them to the elevator while always making just the right amount of inoffensive but seemingly sincere small talk. After the elevator doors closed, Henry looked at Elaine and they said simultaneously, "Suck up". They laughed all the way up to their room. The bell hop was just leaving as they arrived and smiled broadly after receiving a nice tip.

Henry gestured for Elaine to take the bedroom with the more impressive skyline view while he walked to the other. The first thing unpacked were their laptops. They plugged them in and found the wi-fi. They quickly checked e-mails then came back to the main living area.

"Remember the old days when a brief case was the only necessary item?" Henry asked as they sat opposite each other at a small round conference table.

"I was thinking the same thing, and now everyone uses laptops. Even has-been CEOs like us" she said laughing.

Henry nodded with polite laughter then took her hand saying, "Now, what is it you want to talk about?"

Elaine glanced down at the tabletop, took a deep breath, and looked up at him.

"Did you ever see the TV show, 'Sex and the City'?" she asked.

"I was busy running a successful company so didn't watch much TV. But I like the title. What's it about?"

"Are you implying that since I was in charge of the largest insurance company in a 5-state area while you were busy manufacturing glass products that I had more free time than you?"

"I didn't say that. I merely said I didn't watch much TV due to the job."

Elaine subdued her anger saying, "You're right. It's just that so many times I've had to defend myself simply for being a female CEO I get upset when someone implies I don't work as hard. Sorry. Truth be told, I hadn't watched TV in years. It was just a fluky night."

"What do you mean?"

"I was at a conference in Los Angeles and planned to stay over an extra night to visit a roommate from college. Long story short, one of her children came down with the flu then she started showing symptoms and was afraid of infecting me, so she cancelled. I ordered dinner from room service, got caught up on paperwork, but wasn't tired. I didn't want to go out so started flipping through the channels."

"And that's when you found Sex in the City?"

"Sex AND the City," replied Elaine. "It was the first and only segment I ever saw, but it was timely."

"What was it about?"

"I'm getting to that" she nervously replied. "I don't understand why this embarrasses me."

"You're addicted to porn?"

"No, I'm not addicted to porn!" she said curtly. "Just stay quiet and listen."

"OK, OK," he said raising his hands defensively, "I was just trying to get to the heart of the problem."

Elaine decided to overlook the condescending tone in his voice. They leaned toward each other.

Letting out a long slow breath she said, "The show is about four single women who are coping with life, careers, and love. In this episode, one of them discovers she no longer needs a man because of the Rabbit."

"A rabbit?!" exclaimed Henry.

"Not A rabbit, THE Rabbit" she replied testily.

"Are you into bestiality?"

"HENRY WORDEN! YOU ARE THE MOST EXASPERATING MAN I HAVE EVER MET! WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TRYING TO GUESS WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY?" she yelled.

His hands went up again as he said, "You're right; you're right. It's just that I am so used to figuring out the problem and a solution. You're frustrating me."

12