The Natural

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nice? Josh isn't just nice, Grandma. He's...fine!"

Heather started doing some kind of Cabbage Patch dance and began singin, "Oh, Josh! You're so fine you blow my mind. Hey, Joshie!" causing Cecily to laugh again when she remembered a song from many years ago about a guy named Mickey who was also evidently mind-blowingly fine.

"Oh. Thanks for playing along...Mom," Heather said as they got back in the car.

"Oh, sure," Cecily replied. "But why in the world did you tell him I'm your mother?"

"Seriously, Grandma? Who wants to be seen hanging out with their grandmother? I mean, going to the gym with my mother would be bad enough, right?"

"Oh, okay. I...I don't know whether to be flattered or hurt," Cecily said actually feeling something akin to sadness. Then again, Heather was 19 and 'in love' and didn't mean anything by it, but still...

Two days later they were getting ready to head back to the gym for their first lesson with Josh who Cecily now knew was 'fine'.

When she saw Heather come downstairs and announce that she was ready to go, Cecily said as politely as she could, "You're wearing...that?"

"What's wrong with this?" Heather asked with a hint of irritation in her voice.

"Oh, nothing," Cecily said. To herself she thought, "Nothing—if wearing a bikini to the gym seems reasonable."

It wasn't actually a bikini, but it wasn't much more than that.

"Is it too much?" Heather asked.

Cecily wanted to say, "Um, no. It's not enough," but said rather, "It's none of my business, honey. Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing."

"It is too much, isn't it? I bet Josh would think it's too much," she finally realized. "I'm gonna go change, okay?"

Two minutes later she was back downstairs wearing a sports bra and a pair of shorts. Still a little skimpy for Cecily's taste but the lower half no longer reminded her of 'butt floss' so that was something.

"You look really nice by the way, Grand...Mom," Heather told her as they walked out of the house.

Cecily thanked her and the truth was she did look good.

She'd started bleaching her hair a year ago and it looked fantastic; hair that up until then was naturally blonde anyway. Strands of gray began showing up, and although no one else could see them, it bothered her enough that she began getting her hair done every six weeks or so. She'd kept it about chin length for years, but after Roy passed away, she let grow. It had nothing to do with attracting men. She'd just been too depressed to get it trimmed. After two years, she finally went in to have it cut but held off after her stylist told her how good it looked.

When she left, she felt even better about her decision as having longer hair made her feel younger and feeling younger felt nice. It was now shoulder length and several people had complemented on her it so she had no intention of cutting it until she felt like it. And for now, she most definitely didn't feel like it.

Today, she had it pulled back in a ponytail with a white scrunchy that went great with the dark-blue cotton top with a white collar, and the white shorts and white tennis shoes she was wearing. Josh had told them not to wear anything with black soles because they would leave marks on the floor. These shoes were perfect for tennis so she was sure they'd be fine for racquetball which seemed a lot like indoor tennis to her.

Heather glanced down at her grandmother's legs and said, "Wow. I'm 19 and don't have legs like that."

"Your legs look great, honey," she assured her. They were actually very thin almost to the point of being bony, but Cecily wasn't going to risk offending her granddaughter. It seemed odd she could be so thin and eat so much junk food. But as they say, it was one of those 'it is what it is' kinds of things.

Were anyone to do a 'Goldilocks assessment' of the three women, Heather was the 'too skinny', Carol was the 'too big', and Cecily was the 'just right.' And she was 'just right' in all the right places from her size-C breasts that had no sag to her small waist to her very shapely legs.

Neither of them had ever played before, but Cecily had gotten quite good at tennis over the years. She didn't know if that would help or hurt, but Heather had never played any sports outside of what had been required in physical education class and her grandmother hoped she wouldn't get discouraged and give up before she gave it a fair shake.

Both of them checked out safety glasses and racquets and Cecily was given a free can of balls that came with the annual membership. They took a seat and waited for Josh just outside one the fitness center's four courts. They didn't wait long as he showed up right on time.

"Good morning, ladies!" he said cheerfully racquet and safety glasses in hand. "Are we ready?"

"Ready or not, right?" Cecily replied equally cheerfully.

She'd been right about Josh's physique. In shorts and a tee-shirt she could tell he was in excellent shape with great definition but without the large, bulky muscles that came from heavy weightlifting, something she'd never found particularly attractive.

Heather's flirting began again almost immediately, and once again, Josh handled it very well by being cordial but professional.

"Okay, let's start by going over the basics, shall we?" he said once they entered the plexiglass-enclosed court.

He explained as much as he could to the two women who'd never played starting with the score required to win a game, then went over some other basics to include serving and returning a shot. He demonstrated a proper serve then an improper serve based on the lines on the court before showing them how the side and back walls come into play. He didn't even bother discussing strategy or things like 'lob serves or kill shots'. If they enjoyed playing and kept at it, those things would come up naturally along the way as they progressed. For now, they were ready to give it a whirl.

"Okay. Who's up first?" Josh asked with a smile. The moment his eyes met Heather's she happily volunteered.

Josh handed her one of the blue rubber balls and said, "Okay, keep in mind where the service line is. Drop the ball, hit it to the front wall and make sure it comes back at least to this line." He pointed with his own racquet then told her to give a go.

A first attempt resulted in the ball sailing straight into the ceiling and landing about ten feet in front of her.

"No problem!" Josh said handing her another ball as Heather laughed in order to play off her horrible first serve.

The second serve was so overcompensated it was driven into the floor well before reaching the wall.

"Grand...Mom? You go ahead, okay?" Heather said turning around as the ball rolled back toward them.

She began trading places before her grandmother even agreed and announced, "I'll stay back here with Josh."

Cecily saw her granddaughter standing uncomfortably close to their instructor rather than 'splitting the court' with him as she moved up to the service line. She bounced the ball a couple of times then smoothly swung the racquet causing the ball to hit the front wall about chest high and bounce back into the middle of the court in play.

"Nice!" Josh said returning it to the front wall so that it would bounce right back to her. They volleyed a few times with Heather moving out of the way rather than trying to return the ball.

After three more easy serves, Cecily tried hitting one the way Josh had and it also remained in play. He easily returned it with a little more 'umpf' and Cecily missed her return.

"Someone's a natural," he told her. "I'm impressed."

He smiled at her then asked, "Are you sure you've never played before?"

"This is my first time. I've played a lot of tennis, but I was worried it might cause me to bring bad habits with it rather than help out."

"Well, you're doing great," he said. "Why don't you hit a few alone and I'll take your daughter next door and work one-on-one with her."

"I like the sound of that!" Heather said causing Cecily to wince ever so slightly.

For the next fifteen minutes or so, Cecily worked on hitting lower shots that would be harder to return. She'd serve with her forehand then return with her backhand and switch off every other hit. Just as she was really getting the hang of it, Josh brought Heather back over but stopped outside and nodded to Cecily to keep serving—and returning her own serves as he watched.

"You're mom is really good," he said. "I've never had a first-time player with that kind of hand-eye coordination."

"I was pretty good too, right Josh?" she asked, a big happy smile on her face.

"You're doing much better," he told her honestly. Then again she was so awful it was impossible to go anywhere but up. By the end of their alone time, she'd managed to hit several serves into play so yes, she was doing 'better'.

He tapped on the plexiglass letting Cecily know they were ready to come back inside.

"Look at you!" Josh said after watching her hit a couple of very crisp serves and sharp return volleys.

"I think this could be a lot of fun!" she said smiling at Josh then Heather.

"Josh said I'm really improving. Right, Josh?" Heather added before he could reply to her 'mother'.

"Oh, right. Yeah, you were doing much better," he agreed.

"So maybe we could spend some more time together. You know, one-on-one," Heather suggested hopefully.

"Um, sure. Anytime you're here for a lesson, I'm happy to work with you," he said deftly dodging her not-so-subtle hint.

He turned to Cecily and said, "You wanna play an actual game?"

"Who? Me? With...you?" she laughed. "I don't think so."

"I'll play!" Heather said chiming in.

"Well, we could play what's called 'cutthroat' with three people, if you'd like."

"I guess that sounds okay," Cecily said. "Heather? What do you think?"

"If Josh is playing...yes!" she said excitedly.

"Okay. Game on!" he said in reply.

He explained how cutthroat was played which was basically the server playing against the other two who tried to knock the server out because only the server can score points.

Josh took it easy on Cecily and set up perfect, soft shots for Heather who still managed to sling most of them wildly into a side wall, the floor, or the ceiling. To her credit, Cecily even managed to score a couple of points that Josh didn't give to her.

Josh was serving and sent one to Heather's forehand. She lunged for the ball, twisted sideways and fell onto the floor in a crumpled mess.

"Are you okay?" Josh said running to her aid. She was holding her ankle and trying not to cry.

"I'm gonna get an ice pack. Don't move, okay?" he told her.

As much as it hurt, Heather was enjoying the attention.

"I'll wait right here for you," she assured him.

"How bad are you hurt, honey?" Cecily asked as Josh ran out. Heather moved her hands and she could tell it was already swollen.

Josh was back in an instant and carried Heather to a bench outside the court. She made a big show of putting her arms around his neck and thanking him profusely. Josh ignored her and got the ice on her ankle.

"Do you need to see a doctor?" he asked very seriously.

"No, but maybe you should sit with me for a while," she said milking it for all it was worth.

"Honey? Josh has a job to do. Let's get you out to the car and back to the house and off that ankle."

"I...I don't think I should walk right now...Mom," she said glaring at her grandmother.

"No problem. I can carry you out or the two of us can hold you up while you limp on one foot. What's your druthers?"

"Druthers?" Heather asked.

"What's your choice?" Cecily explained.

"Oh, well, would you mind carrying me again...Josh?" she asked looking at him imploringly and smiling much too broadly for someone in that much pain.

"Not at all. Maybe your mom can open the door for us and we'll get you out of here."

Cecily thanked him after he carried her 'daughter' all the way across the gym and another 100 feet or so into the parking lot before gently setting Heather in the front passenger seat.

"Remember to keep ice on it off and on for 24 hours then apply heat. And if it isn't better..."

"I'll make sure she gets to a doctor if it doesn't improve," Cecily assured him as she closed the passenger side door.

"I was hoping you and I could play a game, but it looks like fate had other plans," he told her.

"Well, there's always next time, right?" she told him with a smile.

"Right. Next time. I'll look forward to it," he told her. "Oh, let me get that."

Josh ran around and opened her door and got another very nice smile and a thank you.

"My pleasure," he told her. He peeked in and waved to Heather. "Stay off that ankle, okay?"

"Can I call you if I need more ice?" she called back still shamelessly flirting.

Josh just smiled and waved goodbye to them as Cecily backed out.

"It may sound crazy, but spraining my ankle was so worth it!" Heather said as they pulled out of the parking lot. "He even smells good, Grandma!"

Cecily smiled and just shook her head as they headed home.

Two days later Heather was still walking very gingerly on her ankle but wasn't about to miss a chance to 'be with' Josh.

"I may not be able to play, but I can sit and watch his cute butt while you guys play!" Heather announced when asked if she was going.

Heather hobbled into the gym using Cecily's shoulder for support and sat on the bench next to her 'mom' as they waited for Josh to show up. Once again, he was there exactly on time to the minute.

"How's that ankle of yours?" he asked immediately. "Mind if I take a look?"

"No, of course not," Heather gushed as she lifted her leg.

Josh cradled the heel of her shoe in his hand and checked it out.

"Much better. The swelling is gone so just take it easy on it for a few more days, okay?" He patted the underside of her calf twice then lowered her leg.

"Whatever you say, Josh," Heather said smiling brightly.

"So, I guess it's just the two of us. You and I," Josh said or rather...sang...to Cecily who was looking very cute in a pink top with a short, white tennis skirt. She was also wearing a cute, white visor that was made out of cloth, a very smart idea because racquetball was even more intense than tennis and getting sweat in the eyes could be a real problem.

"Hah! I actually know that song," Cecily replied. She had a decent singing voice and sang, "Just the two of us. We can make it if we try, just the two of us."

Josh chimed in and sang, "You and I!"

"Are you a Bill Withers fan?" he asked.

"I'm more of an individual song kind of person. I do like some singers and some bands, but mostly it's the particular song and that's one I really like. You?"

"Interesting. I'm the same. I never buy an entire album or CD. I just download the individual songs I like," he told her.

"That's exactly what I do, too," Heather said loud enough to butt in even though she wasn't being addressed. The truth was she was very much into groups and bands and not individual songs.

"Oh, okay," Josh said with a smile and a quick glance her way when he realized she'd chimed in.

He turned back to Cecily and said, "You ready to give me a good whoopin' today?"

She laughed and told him, "No, but I'm ready to...hit you with my best shot." She sang that, too, and drew a laugh.

Josh followed suit and sang, "Then...fire away!" from the 1980 hit by Pat Benatar.

As they entered the court Cecily asked, "How do you know those songs that are both clearly before your time?"

"My parents. They listened to stuff from the '60s, '70s, and '80s when I was growing up. I like a lot of contemporary music, too, but I also love a ton of oldies."

"Oldies? Watch it, buddy," Cecily teased.

"Okay, this is none of my business but since you brought up age..."

"I did?" she said cutting him off.

"Well, maybe you didn't use the word 'age' but 'oldies' is close enough."

"Okay, but tread lightly here, young man," she said with a happy smile.

"I still can't believe what I saw when I was filling out your membership forms."

"Oh, and by that you mean my age. I see. So...it surprised you?" she asked still smiling.

"Um...no. I'd say it...blew me away. Completely. My mom is 48 and you look like you're younger than her." He leaned over then said, "Please don't tell her I said this, but you look a lot younger than she does and well...I'd never call my own mother 'hot'."

Cecily laughed as she soaked in the sweetness of his compliment.

"Don't worry. Your secrets are safe with me," she let him know as she crossed her heart.

Josh tried not to stare as she drew attention to her ample breasts and Cecily was again secretly flattered when she saw him looking.

They stood there looking at one another for a few seconds before she said, "Thank you for saying that. I haven't had a lot of moments when I've felt that good about myself since my husband passed away."

Josh stopped smiling and said, "I...had no idea. I'm so sorry. I just assumed Heather's parents were both alive and..."

"I probably shouldn't say this because Heather will be very upset, but..."

Josh stopped her and said, "Your secrets are safe with me." He also 'crossed his heart'.

Cecily laughed again then looked at Heather through the glass. She was gesturing to her to get going. Obviously she wanted to get a better look at someone's butt.

"I'm not Heather's mother."

"I'm confused. She looks a lot like you so what are you saying? Are you her aunt or something?"

"Or...something," Cecily said now smiling again.

"I'm her mother's mother."

Josh stood there and just stared.

Finally, he said, "Oh. Oh! Okay. Now it all makes sense. The resemblance. Your um...date of birth..."

Cecily laughed again then said, "She didn't want you thinking she was 'hanging out with her grandmother'. She has quite a crush on you, Josh."

He looked at Cecily then out at Heather who immediately smiled and waved without any additional gesturing.

"She seems like a nice girl."

"Oh, she is," Cecily said immediately. "She's very young, but she really is a very sweet girl." Cecily knew that was an exaggeration. Heather could be sweet, but she was not very sweet. She could actually be quite a challenge at times and a pain in the...butt at others. But being her granddaughter, she loved her dearly.

"I don't really date girls her age," he told her. "I'm interested in women who are more...settled."

"Settled? I'm not sure I understand, but we should probably get going here, huh?"

"Oh, right. Yeah, you are paying me for my time. I won't count our yack session as part of your hour."

"That's okay," Cecily said with a laugh. "It's been very pleasant chatting with you and I feel so much better having told you the truth."

"You wanna serve first?" Josh asked.

"Okay, but you have to promise won't take it easy on me. Play like you would against anyone else."

"All right. Deal," he told her.

"Zero serving zero," she told him as she tried serving a soft lob like she'd seen on a video she'd watched at home as she tried to learn the game.

"Whoa! Where'd that come from?" Josh said as he slid to the back corner to try and scoop it out. He returned it to the front wall and Cecily managed to hit a pretty decent kill shot to his backhand, something else he wasn't expecting.

"One serving zero," she said with a smile.

Cecily didn't score another point that game which was just fine with her. She enjoyed competing but didn't have a killer instinct. She liked playing as much for the pure enjoyment as for the exercise.

Josh was clearly a very good player. Cecily just didn't know how good until he skunked her the second game.

"Well, I can't accuse you of going easy on me," she said as the got ready to walk out.

They stopped near the backdoor and Josh told her, "I'd planned to do that, but after you asked me not to, I knew you'd know if I slacked off. Even so, you have real potential, Cecily. All you need is more practice and you could play in our novice tournament. You could even win it."