The Novel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He thought it was time to see just how true Roseann's novel was. "If you answer the following question truthfully I'll give you $500. Now understand I'm 99% sure I already know the answer. If you lie you get nothing ever again." He hit the record button.

"Yes, ... I'll say the truth."

"Did you fuck Roseann 22 Years ago? No money if you lie." Robert asked. Roy didn't answer for over a minute. "Well? I'm hanging up."

"Maybe."

"Yes or no?"

"Yes, but she seduced me."

Roy wanted to tell him he was dead to him but wanted a DNA sample first. "OK, I guess you told the truth but if you want the money you need to meet me tonight halfway at the Goodson Grill in Midville at 7pm.

*****

Top Editor Helen Myers sighed some relief when she discovered the first batch of novels were not sent out. However, some books fell through the cracks at the packaging department.. She and most of the people grabbed first edition books and took them home. Shit, she even gave her sister some of the first books brought to her office. Her phone buzzed and she saw the CEO Thomas Alcott's name pop up.

"Helen here may I help you sir?"

"Yes," he answered firmly. "Get me a copy of Maxine Bolt's latest novel immediately."

"But sir it is not finished."

"Dammit how in the hell did my daughter get a copy?"

"I'm not sure. I just found out a few must have somehow got out to the public. I'll try to get you a copy. I've ordered them to be destroyed?"

"DO NOT destroy them! My daughter says it is the hottest book she's read IN YEARS!; even better than 50 Shades. She couldn't put it down."

"But sir the writer did not give approval of this draft, and someone made a mistake sending it to final printing and shipping."

"Do not destroy the books and get me one dozen. Bring them to my office ASAP."

"Sir, I promised Roseanne that... Click."

*****

Robert left a message for the best man at their wedding who was a senior partner at a large law firm in Atlanta. 'Ken, this is Robert Helms. I need to speak to your best divorce and litigation lawyers ASAP. You have my number.'

Twenty minutes later Robert's phone buzzed. It was Ken.

"Hey Bobby, got your message and will give you a few names. I have alerted the practice to give you high priority. What the fuck is going on?"

"My life just went to shit," Robert growled. For the next half-hour the heartbroken professor dumped all about the book and how it was a real confession of his slut soon-to-be ex-wife.

Ken was silent as he realized how big this case could get. Alpha Snow Publishing could easily be sued for millions for the damage done to both Robert, Roseann and even Lisa.

"Ken are you still there?"

"Uh yeah, I'm here. Where are you now?"

"At the shore house. Why?"

"Because I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning. And don't lose that Book. See if you can find out how many books are missing. I'm taking this damn case myself. Have you talked to Roseann?"

"Talk? I kicked her cheating ass out of here this morning after she confessed to adultery through most of our marriage. Fuck Ken, she admitted that he fucked Roy. In the book the wife had a child from having sex with the MC's brother-in-law. So, it's a pretty good bet that Roy is Lisa's biological poppa."

"Holy shit!" Ken gasped, "if this gets out this book will wipe out sale records. That alone will bring millions of dollars ultimately our way."

"Let's not get carried away," Robert said sadly. "Being the world's biggest cuckold is not that appealing. Hey, I have a splitting headache. Let's talk tomorrow. Goodnight Ken."

"Hang in there, buddy. I'm sorry to hear about Roseann. I would never have thought."

"Yeah, me too.?"

*****

Helen put a hold on destroying the books and made sure they were safely secured before grabbing a dozen to take to Mr. Alcott. She figured he wanted them to give to his legal staff in case lawsuits are as expected. They did an inventory and believed about 44 books were missing.

She had the dozen books wrapped up in plastic on a cart with a security guard walking behind her. As she entered the executive suite, she was flagged into the huge Board room and saw most of the members waiting. "Excuse me but Mr. Alcott told me to bring these to him and..."

"I'm here," Alcott said firmly behind her. She saw the Distribution Director sitting nervously in the corner. "Have a seat Helen and tell us from the start what happened."

"Yes sir our top novelist Roseann Helms sent us a draft of her newest novel, A CHEATER'S CONFESSION, for review. It was scheduled to be released on the 20th of this month to the Members of the Month Club, but was printed, sent out by mistake, and did not receive final approval by the author.

The board president Jason Boston interrupted, "So what wrong with that. I mean only a few books got out right? It's happened before."

Helen looked at Tom, "Well the big issue is that Roseanne wrote the book that very closely relates to her real life. If, and when, that got out it would destroy her family if it hasn't already did so. One of the books was sent out early to Roseanne's husband Robert Helms. He called his wife on the very close similarities and is in the process of filling divorce papers. She is already threating to sue us and I'm sure he will as well. I promised her that these books were to be destroyed. Evidently other books were taken by other employees, but we don't have a good number how many got out.

Tom sighed and asked another question. "Helen was your promised to Roseanne only verbal?" She wasn't sure where he was heading and looked puzzled, "well yes, but why wouldn't we want these books destroyed?"

"OK, Helen that's all. You're excused."

"But..."

"You're excused." After she left he turned to the Distribution director, "Start printing that book and don't stop until I say so."

*****

Roy sat nervously at the small greasy diner waiting for his brother. His hands trembled from not having enough money for booze. He stood and was drinking a glass of water when he saw his brother walk up to the table. "HEY-HEY BOBBY. IT's BEEN A WHILE," He said loudly starting to stand. But Robert swiftly moved into the seat across from him.

"Sit," Robert growled. He noticed the glass of water. He would take it later for a DNA check.

"May I help you sir?" An older bleach-blonde front-toothless waitress asked. Grease and ketchup stains covered her gray faded apron. The nearby jukebox was playing "Your Cheating Heart." By Patsy Cline.

"Will you bring HIM a menu," Robert said, not wanting to call him his brother.

"Got one right here sweety pie. Are you eating as well?"

"Nope. How about you bring us a couple of beers." He saw Roy smile at the mention of booze. He sat his smart phone on record and stuck it in his shirt pocket. After the waitress took Roy's food order he hit Roy with the big question. "I need you to tell me one more time about what happened between my wife and you that night.

Roy must have rehearsed it as he spit out the same story he told Robert on the phone. He wanted a confession so it didn't matter who seduced who. It sure didn't sound like Roseann's claim of rape. After Roy gulped down his meal Robert gave him the $500 and told him that was it. "You're now dead to me..

Roy cried and said he was sorry and that he was the only family he had left. "You should have thought about that before you fucked my wife." Robert didn't say anything more as he put Robert's empty glass in his jacket, stood up, and walked out.

*****

Later that day Helen was pouring a cup of coffee when she saw a staff employee sitting in the break room reading 'A Cheater's Confession'. "Excuse me but that book is not available for distribution. Where did you get it?"

"From the company bookstore. It was just released for sale," the cute young receptionist smiled. "I bought three of them for my mom, aunt and me. There's a rumor that this book is mostly true. I can't put it down."

"SHIT!" Helen said before rushing to her office and calling her boss RJ. "What the hell happened with Roseann's book?"

RJ Smith coughed, "I left you a message to tell you the book was going to be released as is. It was kind of shaky that the author had formally stopped it. I mean nothing was received in writing."

"That's bullshit RJ. The fucking lawyers and the board knew this version was going to be a top seller. They are willing to go the legal route knowing the monetary gains will blow away the personal lawsuits."

"Listen kept this to yourself if you want to keep your job. It looks like we all will see a big Christmas bonus this year. Also, you need to ghost Roseann."

*****

Roseann was passed out on her sofa when the sunlight flickered through the almost closed curtains. She managed to open her right eye halfway and could only see the three empty wine bottles lying on the floor between the sofa and her house shoes. It had been days of crying and calling herself names. Normally when she felt this horrible, she relied on her husband Robert, but that option was gone. And her relationship with her daughter had also taken a nosedive. Suddenly she felt her stomach churning and staggered up a small flight of stairs towards the hall 1/2 bath. She didn't make it and blacked out again falling onto her stomach contents. A short time later she lifted her face up when the door to her condo opened.

"MOM! OH GOD!" Lisa screamed.

"I'm so-so sorry Lisa! I tried... I mean I really tried to change the story. How could I ever be so stupid to write all the bad shit I've done? Oh God! Your father hates me."

Lisa got her up and half-carried her to the master bath. Somehow Roseann managed to get undressed while Lisa got the warm water spray ready. She turned and saw her Mom naked and holding onto the towel rack. She still looked damn good for a woman in her fifties. "Are you comfortable taking this shower by yourself?"

"Yes baby... I'm so messed up and I hate you seeing me like this."

Even though Roseann hated what her mom did she still loved her. "Take your time and I'll go down and clean up."

Later when Roseann returned downstairs Lisa was watching TV when 'A CHEATERS CONFESSION'

Advertisement pops up. "Mom come here!"

Roseann was feeling better until she saw the ad, "Oh no they promised!!" A blonde Barbie-type woman smiled and said, "Is it Fiction or is it Fact. Look for it soon in your favorite bookstore. Buy it online and get a 10% discount. Hurry before the lines start."

Roseann quickly called Helen but got her voice mail. "Hello, Helen will not be in today. Pease leave a message... BEEP."

"What the fuck happened to destroying the books? Why is the publisher doing this to one of their top authors?

"I guess that's it, huh Mom. Why? Is Dad so bad in bed you had to screw half of North America?"

"NO! Your dad is wonderful in bed. I've always lived a sheltered life and never experienced being a bad girl. To write novels about personal experiences I started stopping for drinks after a long day working parttime and taking care of you. At first I watched the actions and heard conversations between men and women. What shocked me was the large number of married people on the prow. I met a woman I knew from school, and she told me how easy it was to branch out."

Lisa sighed, "So you decided to give it a try."

"Not at first, because I just needed to know what kind of pickup lines and flirting was being done. I started dancing with other men playing along and just before we were to head to a motel I went to the restroom and never came back. I was a bad girl up to doing something serious."

Lisa smirked, "How long did that last?"

"Never in the bars. I was too nervous worried about your father knowing; getting caught. I quickly found out that men I knew from daily life were available for fun and play. Plus, it would be less dangerous getting an STD."

"Why in the world did you write a damn novel about all your cheating?"

"Being Catholic I've always believed in confessing my sins. But I couldn't say such horrible things in a confessional, so I decided to confess in a fictious Novel. I remembered so many things about the many trysts I experienced. Somewhere I lost track that these experiences were real and when you discovered the draft, well you know the rest. If I could start all over again I wouldn't do it. The consequences of losing Robert and you would be too great."

"You really fucked up Mom. You have totally lost Dad and I'm not thrilled being around you either.

"Please don't say that. Your father and you have always been my reason to live. Let's take it back a notch, tell me about your new guy."

"Uh, well I need to meet him in 30minutes. So maybe when the divorce is complete? Goodbye Mother."

*****

Robert was trimming the hedges around the beach house, when he heard a vehicle rolling into the gravel driveway. He finished the bush he was working on and sat the trimmer on the patio.

"Hey Grampa!" Ken grinned as he walked around back. "Man, you look like shit!"

Robert tried to smile back but it wouldn't work. He shuffled over and hugged the unexpecting friend. "Thanks for coming man." Ken walked Robert back to the large patio where they sat.

"So, tell me everything. Do you mind if I record this?"

"No that's fine. Although I may break down a few times."

For the next hour Robert didn't hold anything back. He told how many of the books main character trysts match many parts of their life. "How did you get a copy of the book before it was mailed out for sale?"

Robert sighed and noticed his buddy wasn't looking shocked. "You don't look like you believe me."

"Well, I now regret saying this but when we were roommates in college Roseann came on to me at a frat party. You guys were planning on married so I kept away from her. You had just won the beer keg championship and were totally passed out. I had quite a bit and somehow dragged you to our shared suite. Roseann helped me get you in bed on your side if you barfed. I went into the showers and came back to our room wearing only a towel. I figured she had left but when I came back the light was off and felt around for the bed. I slowly climbed under the sheet and felt her naked boobs against my side."

"Fuck! And why didn't you tell me?"

"I was still drunk and was ready to push her off the bed, but she grabbed my cock and started stroking. My brain went dead until she pushed me onto my back and started climbing on top. "Now, I'm going to finally fuck you," she whispered.

"Wait! Stop!" I yelled. "I can't do this. Fucking get off!"

She froze, "Are you sure?"

"Hell no, but I won't do this to my best friend who is going to ask you to marry him."

"But he hasn't officially asked yet." Her hairy sex started to slide down, but I grab her hips and pushed her out onto the floor. She must have hurt herself because she cried out."

Robert sat up, "Shit, I don't remember anything about that night and the next day when I called her she said she had tripped and fell. When I went to see her, she had a bandage on her forehead and one of her eyes were black. Some of our frat brothers made a joke about me punching her. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Hey, I knew you loved her and didn't want to be the reason for breaking you up. Plus, she said she had too much to drink and begged me not to tell you.

"The bitch started way back then. Her novel only covered was the tip of the iceberg."

"I checked the website for Alpha Snow Publishing and they have an ad for 'The Cheater's Confession' a new novel by Maxine Bolt. It said coming soon," Ken said patting Robert on his back. "I know now I should have told you."

They took a walk down the beach and Ken said he would get the lawsuit started against both Alpha Snow and Roseann. They both felt it was too late to get a court order to stop shipping so they would go for as much as they could get and knew it would be settled for tens of millions.

*****

Roseann tried to contact her husband for the next few weeks, but he did a great job ghosting her. She tried also to get a hold of Helen and even higher but was told they were not available. However, those who were ringing her phone off were the media folks. Someone at the publishing company leaked out that the hot fiction novel was not that much fictional. As she left her suite to go food shopping a young woman was sitting in her car by her doorway. She hopped out after recognizing her. "Mrs. Roseann Helms?"

"Yes I'm she."

The woman handed her an envelope, "Ma'am you've been served." Roseann froze as the server took a photo of her holding the end of marriage documents.

Roseann sat down on the hard concrete steps and held her face in both hands. "And I thought today was going to be a good day." That afternoon she had her pick of some very good lawyers.

For the next 6 months the lawyers went back and forth. It didn't look good for Robert until Helen and Sandy came forth with both testimony and email proof the Company knew the book was sent out without the changes. The trial was set and the trial started. Suddenly the law firm representing the publisher asked the Judge for a recess and called the lawyers and clients together. The conversation took a while until the judge stated the publisher has made a counteroffer than included a decent percentage of future sales. She called a break and sent the Jury out. By the time Robert ended up with over 10 Million. The publisher made a lot more, but their reputation took a beating and the money paid out was considerable.

For Lisa, she received a great settlement enough to get her a nice condo near her job and her soon-to-be married Luke. She spent a lot of time with her dad and periodically stayed in touch with her mom.

During this time Robert had refused to speak with Roseann. No one gave evidence that any of the trysts listed in the book was real. All communication went through Ken who offered testimonies from Sandy and Helen who, by the way, won wrongful termination from their jobs. Robert wanted to broke it off clean with his wife, so he happily took half of their assets and savings.

She was so sad for hurting the person she loved, she didn't go after any of their joint investments or retirement funds. She had her city loft and he had their house in North Jersey (The shore house was protected in a trust from his mom).

*****

Epilogue:

One year later Robert stood nervously wearing a tux in the rear of St. Ann's church. He was in great shape and had a smart-looking partially grey beard. Most of the attendees were already seated including his ex-wife Roseann that he had not spoken to since he kicked her out of the shore house. His daughter Lisa was in a room off to the side getting prepped to walk next to him down the aisle. He knew they had ten minutes to the official start time. Outside in Noord, Aruba the sun was bright, but the ongoing wind kept things cool enough.

"Hello Robert," came a voice he knew so well. As he turned her way she grabbed onto his wrist. He thought about jerking away but remained calm. "Maxine." He thought of her novel name. His loving wife Roseman was gone from his life.

Roseann was happy he didn't yell or push her away, but to be called that name hurt, "living here in Aruba has done wonders for you."

He stood erect not responding. The wedding music started, the door to the side room opened and three bride's maids walked out in beautiful ocean blue dresses.

"You should go and get seated," Robert whispered to his ex-wife.

She leaned up and kissed his cheek before whispering., "I never took one penny of the lawsuit and book sale for myself. It all went to charity. I also denied permission to make a movie and to write a follow up. I still love you Robert and always will. We did a great job creating Lisa. She told me that the DNA tests proved you are her biological father. Please save me one dance later at the reception." Tears fell as she hurried back to her seat.