The Nuclear Family Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

See, Amy and I had researched, finding that small homes were great, but a big market wasn't tapped for container homes. Yep, shipping containers. We would build homes in shipping containers. At launch, we would have three models: a small self-contained unit with a bathroom, kitchenette and a combined bedroom living area. The second is a modest four-container model that could be connected in a few different ways, and the last a two-story, ten-container model. All of them were modular and came ready for positioning in the client's location of choice. The containers could be covered with several different materials, and they were well insulated.

Thanks to Amy's connections, we already had four significant clients willing to give us a go by the time we launched. This also consisted of a major caravan park chain. It was interesting that with ALRO backing us, I got access to clients we had never been able to crack with Total Build.

It took us almost four months to get everything ready. When Amy one day caught me working from her kitchen table, she made space for me in her office, letting me know she wanted me working beside her.

I made sure that I pitched to the ALRO board the full business plan. I didn't just want to rely upon my relationship with Amy. Sure she got me in the door, but I wanted them all to believe and buy in that this would be a successful business.

With the capital investment from ALRO, we leased a mid-sized industrial shed. I hired three crews, a couple of administrators, two account managers, a marketing guru, and we were off and running.

In the off-hours, Amy and I started planning our wedding. Amy wanted to get married on the beach at sunset. I liked the idea and suggested that we do that near her parents' place. When we talked through the logistics, we figured it would keep a lot of people from breaching the ARLO privacy agreement due to proximity. Amy thought it was a great idea.

Amy's Parents, Rayne and Peter. Who were at first both happy for us but a little sceptical of Amy and I getting together, quickly warmed to our upcoming marriage once we returned from overseas. We discreetly showed them some photos of us together and a video shot by one of the staff at the Eiffel Tower of my proposal, and that was it. I was family again.

Through Rayne, we heard that Brad and Georgia had gotten married, and she was pregnant with a second child. Throughout her telling us, I could see that Rayne was a little melancholy. It was as if she was embarrassed to tell us.

"Is she sure it's Brad Jr's?" Amy asked, perhaps a little condescendingly.

Peter and I looked at each other, quietly laughing. I had learnt that Peter adored Ruth, his older stepchild, but always had a strained relationship with Georgia. Now though, he went out of his way to avoid Georgia. Rayne looked at Amy and then looked away.

"Amy," her mother responded quietly. "That's a truer question than you might think."

I just about choked on the drink I was sipping.

"What?" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, Robbie," Rayne said, looking at me sadly. "Things in your old family are not going so well. It's become known that after you left Total Build, so did many of your clients. Total Build is struggling. When somehow a few of those clients got wind of why you had left..."

For a moment, no one said anything as we digested the news. "Oh," I responded, then my eyes went wide. "OH!" I said again. Clients started putting everything together. I left, and my ex-wife had a baby with my brother.

Amy looked at me as we sat, trying to gauge my reaction. I smiled at her and when she saw that she smiled back.

"Well, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people," I tried to say diplomatically. I mean, Georgia is still Rayne's daughter and has her grandchild. But I couldn't help a bit of a dig.

Rayne sighed, giving me a gloomy smile. Aside from Amy and Toni, Rayne was one of the few ladies who sympathised with me. Initially, she was at a loss as to why Georgia did what she did to me, and if it wasn't for a grandchild that Georgia produced, I don't know that she would be talking to her daughter at all.

"Over the past six months," Rayne started to explain nervously. "It has also got out that Georgia and your brother joined a group of people that, how do I say this, um, they go to a barbeque then leave with different people than what they arrived..." She was blushing brightly while talking about her daughter in such terms.

I looked over at Peter, and he nodded, confirming the statement, also a little embarrassed.

Amy laughed, not caring that her parents were embarrassed. "So my slut of a sister married a deadbeat, joined a swinger's club, now she's pregnant there its possible the child may be from someone other than her disappointment of a husband?"

"Amy, I know you don't like her, but Georgia is still your sister," Rayne sternly told her daughter, then she deflated. "Georgia is hoping that it's Brad's, but she did admit to me that it's possible it could be one of up to three different men," Rayne admitted quietly.

I said nothing quietly, sipping my drink, a Kraken and coke. Peter always made sure there was a bottle ready for me. For a moment, I stared at my once past mother-in-law. Not for the first time, I understood that she would be again soon.

When I married Georgia, it was like I gained a second mother. When I learned about Georgia, she became too embarrassed to talk to me for several weeks. It turned out that while my family knew everything, none of the Brown family had a clue. Once she was over the shock, I found someone who commiserated with me instead of my betraying mother.

"Why are you telling us, Rayne?" I asked my soon-to-be again mother-in-law.

She shrugged, then sank back into her chair, depressed, "Because.... It's just that...." Rayne buried her head and sobbed. But a new voice joined the conversation.

"Because you're an honourable man Robbie Other and my slut of a little sister wronged you, then adding insult to injury, your family treated you worse than dirt through it all." In the doorway stood Amy's older half-sister, Ruth. She had a pizza and a bottle of wine for everyone. "You may not want to hear it, but Mum feels that you should know how depraved they have gotten over there. Mum, is it alright if we tell him the rest?"

Ruth walked in, putting the pizza down in front of us. Peter quickly stood, heading into the kitchen to retrieve a wine glass for Ruth, also returning with the bottle of Kraken and a bottle of coke for Amy, Peter and myself to refresh our drinks.

Rayne looked at each of us, then, with tears in her eyes, looked at me, nodding in acknowledgement of her oldest daughter's statement.

"Well," Ruth said, smiling broadly at Amy and me. "Before we go any further, can I have a hug from my favourite brother-in-law and my soon-to-be wedded, favourite sister?"

Smiling and glad for a moment of levity, we both stood embracing Ruth. She fussed over Amy's engagement ring, asking to hear the proposal story while we ate. Ruth was tall and slim like Georgia, with almost platinum blonde hair. She had two kids with her husband, Dave Masters. They married while still at university after dating all through high school.

Dave and Ruth were fiercely loyal to each other but fought like cats and dogs. One time at a family function, Georgia and I were only dating. I watched as they let loose at each other, storming off in different directions. Later, when they returned, saying sorry to each other and the family, they sat next to me, so I asked about it. Ruth shrugged, explaining to me that it was marriage, there was no one else for her but Dave, but they didn't need to see eye to eye on everything to be incredible together. I looked at Dave, his earlier bluster at his wife gone and a shine in his eyes as he agreed.

Coming back out of the memory, I shook my head. "So what is the rest of it then?" I asked after we sat back down and started eating the pizza.

Rayne looked at Ruth and nodded again, glad to not be telling the story.

"I've heard parts of this from both Mum and Georgia," Ruth began, "First up, Robbie, I in no way condone what your family did. I'm afraid I have to disagree with Georgia's deceit, and I think you were so measured in your response to them that I am so proud of you."

Ruth looked down into her wine glass, sighed, then looked up at me. "But Georgia is still my sister, so aside from letting her know how disappointed I am in her, I still talk to her now and then because she doesn't have too many people that will listen to her anymore."

"See," Ruth explained. "I was almost four when my father walked out on Mum, and while I don't have any solid memories of that time, I have an ache that is like an emotional memory. I recall the sadness and the pain of him cheating on Mum then walking out on us, so seeing my sister so casually throw her wedding vows aside hurt."

She took another sip of her wine. Again, Rayne looked miserable, lost in her memories for a moment.

"From what I've been told," Ruth told the assembled crowd. "Brad had been at Georgia to attend one of the parties for several months. For the most part, you have to be a couple to get an invite, so while she said no, he didn't get to go. However, when news that you left the country with Amy got to her ears, she cried and then acquiesced to his demands. She told me it was like all her hope dried up, and nothing mattered anymore."

"Why," I asked rhetorically, more to myself than anyone. "Georgia is the one who cheated on me and had another man's kid?"

Ruth nodded, Rayne still looked like her favourite pet had died, and Amy looked a little pissed off.

"For some reason, Georgia thought until that point, you would forgive her and take her back," Ruth told us, shrugging as she took another bite of pizza. "When she heard that you had jumped on a plane with her younger sister of all people, she broke down. She gave into Brad, and they have been attending those damn parties together until she ended up pregnant."

Ruth looked at me, contemplating me a little more; there was more to this story. But it was my time to respond.

I sighed, holding up the next part of the conversation while meeting Ruth's eyes. "I must admit there is a darker part of me that is pleased with how devastated she is, how fucked up the situation is for her. But why I need to know is beyond me. Georgia is my past, and Amy is my future; I know that none of you will put me in a situation on purpose of seeing her, so why do I need to know?" I asked. I looked over at Amy. I could tell she had a similar thought. Amy had not spoken to Georgia at all and knew none of this.

Ruth again sighed, looking at her mother for support. Rayne gave her a very gentle nod.

"It's because one of the potential fathers could be your sister's fiancé," Rayne said quietly.

The sip of my drink just about came out of my nose, "What?" I almost yelled, "Um' Sorry." I looked at Amy; she was having a similar reaction. Both Rayne and Ruth nodded.

"Joanna's fiancé was fucking Georgia?" I asked incredulously. "Sorry for the language." Then a sad, sadistic grin spread over my face as I understood the impact. "Is it Chris, the lunkhead she was dating before I cut off contact?"

Chris was one of the contractors on the factory floor at Total Build. He made a play for Georgia a few years ago, which went nowhere. But then, for some reason, he started going out with Joanna and they started dating. Since then, Chris and Joanna have had an on-again, off-again relationship.

"Yeah," Ruth looked down into her wine glass. "Apparently, it was Chris, talking with Brad, that put the idea in your brother's head first. Georgia tells me that Chris always had a thing for her when you two were married; when he found out that you spilt, I'm told he put the swinger idea in Brad's brain, figuring he could get in Georgia's panties. He did, and now he may be a father."

"And how is my dear sister taking it?" I asked, trying to keep a straight face.

"Not very well." Rayne jumped in, giving Ruth a break now that it wasn't about her daughter anymore. "Joanna was a willing participant in the parties, but when it came out that her fiancé may have knocked up her sister-in-law, she went ballistic at Chris, Brad and Georgia. At the moment, everyone is hoping that the baby is Brad's."

Ruth sipped her wine, again regarding me.

"Alright Ruth, out with it," Amy said, looking at her older sister, "I can see you've got at least one more bomb to drop."

Ruth gave a grin at that one; it was a morose grin, though.

"This one is just a little poetic, and Robbie, I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of what I am about to tell you, but when Georgia first got the positive pregnancy test, then she and Brad realised it may not have been his they went to your parents..."

It took a moment, but I put it together.

"No..." I said, a grin breaking on my face.

"Yep, they did," Ruth responded.

I started laughing. Amy looked strangely at me as I slapped my knees as, despite the situation, l was laughing hard.

"What?" Amy asked, not following this part of the conversation.

I looked at Ruth, who was now smiling. Then Rayne, who was lost. Lastly, Peter had a smile on his face letting me know that he knew. Then I turned back to Amy.

I looked at my fiancé, "my parents told Georgia and Brad to keep it a secret from Joanna..." I said. I looked back at Ruth.

Seconds later, Amy's eyes went wide. "No..." She looked at her older sister. "They didn't?"

"Yes," Ruth said. "It was about three days after the pregnancy announcement that Chris started questioning the timing, then it all came out at a family get-together. Joanna lost it, calling Georgia every name under the sun, screaming at your parents for trying to keep it from both Chris and herself."

I was chuckling now.

Ruth held up her hands for silence as all of us threatened to lose it again. "I only have Georgia's side," Ruth told us. "As her older sister, she has called me a few times for a shoulder to cry on. She's troubled and worried; Brad still asks them to go to the swinger parties. Georgia is feeling dirty and cheated on for the first time if you can believe it?"

I snorted, "Interesting when the shoes are on the other foot." I paused. "I'm sorry Ruth... Rayne... If I appear a little unsympathetic..." They both motioned that it was understood.

I changed topics. "So what of my parents?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," Ruth replied, sitting back on the couch. "Georgia hasn't said much to me, but they told her and Brad that it will all blow over in time. They believe Joanna will get over it since she also went to the parties and slept with different partners."

A sudden thought occurred, "um, Joanna and Brad?"

Ruth snorted. "Georgia told me that one time the draw came out that way, they looked at each other and laughed before choosing again. Georgia said she was a little worried but didn't elaborate further."

I shook my head, "How could I not see I was in the middle of such a depraved family?"

"Because you're an honest man," Peter said without hesitation. Rayne, Ruth and Amy all nodded their heads.

For the rest of the evening, the five of us talked through what was wrong with Georgia and my family. Then we moved on to happier topics as we talked through my upcoming wedding to Amy and the individual parts of the trip that Amy and I took around the world. We studiously avoided talking too much about ALRO. By now, Amy's family were used to getting the run around about what Amy did for a living, accepting that it was wrapped in privacy.

Later, Ruth asked me to walk her out to her car after hugging everyone. I obliged and waited till we got to her car till she turned around, hugged me, and then regarded me in that caring big sister way Joanna never had.

"You look happy again, Robbie?" Ruth mentioned with a smile.

I shrugged, then smiled back, "I am."

She laughed, "Are you working again?"

I nodded; she held up a hand before I could reply.

"I'm guessing you're doing something with Amy since you're not forthcoming with any details?"

I thought for a moment before I replied. "Indirectly, yes. But yes, I am doing something I enjoy."

"Good, you deserve to be happy after what they all put you through. But Robbie?"

I looked at Ruth.

"While I know the type of man you are, I also know what type of person my youngest sister is. She worships the ground that you walk on; she always has. But if you ever..." It was my turn to hold up my hand.

"I would beat the living shit out of myself first." I finished for her.

Ruth grinned at me. "I know Robbie, and that is why I love you. But I needed to say it. With Georgia, I never did, but Amy..."

"I know, Ruth. Trust me, I know. Amy is the most precious thing in the world to me. I thought that what Georgia and my family did to me would haunt me for years. But Amy..." I stopped and gathered my thoughts. "She saved me Ruth," I said, a tear gathering in the corner of my eye.

"I have never told anyone but Amy this," I said, staring off into the night. "But I was bluffing my way through everything while living with Darren and Toni. I was always drunk or training, I felt depressed. I even thought about ending it a few times in a few different ways."

Ruth gasped.

"But the day Amy turned up with Joanna. She saved me," I explained. "From the moment she brought me out of that house, I never again thought of what I would do to myself. Now I just want to be with Amy. I could never hurt her because she's my hero Ruth. You say she worships the ground I walk on, but the feeling is mutual. And I know that she is nothing like Georgia."

Ruth hugged me, wiping away a tear from the corner of her eye and momentarily distracted by movement before I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and lips on the back of my neck.

Amy.

I smiled.

"Good night, you two," Ruth said, smiling as she got into her car. Amy slipped around me until my arm rested on her shoulder. We waved goodbye as she drove off.

[ :::: - ::::]

A couple of months later, I was back in a familiar room on the morning of our wedding. I was back at Darren and Toni's, Amy was at her parent's, and the day dawned bright with few clouds but without too much threat of rain. I rose late, and Darren took me out for breakfast. We were lazy until noon when we showered and shaved; George joined us in a light lunch, then we all got dressed, ready for the photographer to arrive and get a few pre-wedding shots of us guys.

Darren was my best man, with George acting as a groomsman. Once the Photographer arrived, Toni said goodbye heading over to Rayne and Peter's to take her place as bridesmaid along with Ruth.

We took photos and relaxed for another hour while watching a few professional fights. This included Cody's latest in the United States, where he barely won against his opponent.

Later we headed down to the beach for the ceremony, and I was amazed at what the event company we hired had done. The small area of beach we had arranged for the ceremony had been transformed. There was a raised pavilion for the ceremony. Wound around the pillars was ivy and a range of flowers that could be found in and around the gardens of the Gold Coast arranged to highlight the beauty of the natural flora.

There were around a hundred seats laid out sitting on 'beach carpet', a special type of tile that let sand through but was stable enough for women in heals to stand on. Up the centre aisle, a carpet of a rich ocean blue had been laid out from the car park where Amy would arrive to the altar. In the background, the waves crashed quietly against the shore as the tide slowly made its way out towards the low tide mark, which would be about an hour after sunset.

For the first time, I felt nervous. Daren must have sensed it.