The Only Constant is Change Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Things were progressing nicely, but relatively innocently, until AJ arrived with Mandy in tow, and Hannah following close behind. "Dude, you know you've got a little something right...everywhere!" AJ laughed as he waved his hand around Jeremy's face. "Happy Birthday, Bro! Looks like it's going to be a good one for you," AJ finished as he gave him a man hug. Mandy just rolled her eyes at her boyfriend, before wishing Jeremy a happy birthday and adding to his collection. Then AJ and Mandy went to join the others, leaving Jeremy alone with Hannah.

To that point, no matter how attractive the girl had been, Jeremy had been able to brush the kiss off as a harmless bit of fun. That changed, now that it was Hannah's turn.

"Hey Jeremy. D'ya miss me?" she asked with her arms open wide.

"You better believe it!" he said as he grabbed her and twirled her in a big hug. As he set her down, he said, "I thought you were wrapping up some things at the sorority house this weekend? I didn't think I'd see you for a few more days."

Hannah said, "Ah, ah, ah. First things first." She held his face in her hands and looked for a spot that wasn't covered in lipstick. Among the occasional marks in hot pink, burgundy, and even one in electric blue, there were so many shades of red it was hard to tell where the lipstick stopped and Jeremy started. She found a spot on his forehead and firmly left her mark before sliding her arms around his neck.

"I was not going to miss tonight. I've been waiting months to do this." And she crushed his lips with hers and she pressed her body into his. With one hand she held him tightly, chest to chest, while the other slid up to the back of his head, urging him more and more frantically on with the kiss. Her passion spilled over into Jeremy and he lost track of where he was for a moment. As her lips opened to his, he speared her mouth with his tongue, wrestling hers as the heat between them built. He slid both hands down to her ass and pulled her hips against his, grinding his now-engorged cock into her.

As their kiss broke, Hannah stepped back and groaned, her eyes closed as she remembered the feel of his lips on hers. When she did open her eyes, they were filled with a fire that promised more at a later date. "That," she said, "was totally worth the wait." Then she gave a petulant little stomp of her foot. "It's not fair! I had to wait all this time, and now...Oh!" She covered her mouth and her eyes got big, like she'd been about to spill a big secret. She shook her finger at Jeremy. "I almost said too much you naughty boy...man!" she quickly corrected. Apparently talking more to herself than him as she walked away, she mumbled, "I almost spoiled everything. I think he scrambled my brain with that kiss."

All Jeremy could do was stare after her while wondering what the heck the big secret was. He was lost speculating for a few moments when he heard a familiar voice. "There's the birthday boy!" Even though they'd been getting a little friendlier lately, he was a still a little surprised to turn and see Jess standing there. He was much more surprised when she launched herself into his arms, just as she'd done the day he went to break things off with her, and planted her mark on his face. Fortunately, his erection was deflating, or things might have gotten a little awkward with Jess in his arms.

"Hey, Pixie! Thanks for coming."

Jess grinned. "Not that I wouldn't have wanted to come anyway, but your girlfriends made it pretty clear that attendance was mandatory. And someone," she said as she nodded behind her, "was nervous about coming by herself."

Looking over, Jeremy could see Lanie standing there. He still hadn't figured out how someone as absolutely breathtaking as Lanie Harper could ever be unsure of herself. Nevertheless, there she was, looking as beautiful as ever and fidgeting as if she was contemplating whether to make a break for it. Jeremy was transfixed, and Jess smirked and said, "I'll leave you two alone," before heading in to join the others.

For a moment, neither of them spoke a word. For his part, Jeremy was simply struck silent by the young woman standing before him. He might have been surprised that Lanie was experiencing much the same reaction to him. The truth was that she knew the effect she had on men. Her breasts started coming in early in 6th grade and just kept growing. A small C cup in 8th grade, she'd eventually reached the G cup she wore today. Unlike some women with extremely large cup sizes, she didn't carry a lot of weight on the rest of her body. She was simply a naturally voluptuous woman. As a result, she'd been subjected to the stares and jokes for years. The pickup lines from dirty old men and vulgar comments from others had flattered her initially, but had eventually driven her to be especially conscious of the way she used her body.

Of course, Jeremy wasn't immune to her charms. The difference was, when he looked at her he didn't leer grotesquely. She'd seen the sideways glances of course, but he always seemed bashful about it when he knew he'd been caught. That was the key for Lanie. Jeremy was by far the most handsome man she'd met, but he was a better person than she could have hoped. The very first time they'd met, when he'd given her one of Jess's flowers and winked at her, her immediate response was to categorize him with all the other self-important jerks she'd known. But then he promised their mother he'd keep Jess safe, and she knew instinctively she'd misread him. He put himself in harm's way for her when that asshole Ryan tried to have his way. And then he held her in his arms and promised that he wouldn't let anything happen to her. She felt so safe and secure at that moment that she realized that she'd forgotten what it was like to experience a pure feeling of closeness to a man. If he'd pressed the issue that night, he probably could have had his way with her. But he didn't; that wasn't the man that he was.

Even more confusing was her reaction to his habit of collecting girlfriends. If it had been anyone other than Jeremy, Lanie probably would have put him out of mind, dismissed as another disappointment. But, from talking with Jess and Hannah, she knew it was within his capability to be present in the moment with the girl he was with, and that the girls who spent time with him enjoyed themselves and cherished the time they had. Lanie was craving that level of connection with a guy. She'd fallen for Ryan's bullshit so many times, only to be disappointed. Yet, like a battered wife, she kept returning to the jerk. She was really hoping to experience, for whatever time she could, a relationship with a real man.

"Happy Birthday, Jeremy," she softly said.

Shaken from his stupor, Jeremy opened his arms and stepped towards her. He wrapped her in a big hug; it felt so natural to tuck her head into the space between his face and chest. They stood like that for an eternity that lasted only a minute at most, each lost in reveling at the feel of the other's body pressed against their own.

"Thank you, Lanie," he murmured. Their connection was unlike that he had with any of the other girls in his life. He didn't know if he'd always feel this way, but his memory of the night she'd been attacked was still fresh enough that he just felt protective of this beautiful girl in his arms. He was overwhelmed with emotion at the thought that someone might harm her, and tears came to his eyes. For a moment, all he could do was stroke her hair and kiss her head.

After their moment, Lanie shifted and took his face in her hands. She placed her mark on his cheek, and then gently kissed his lips. As she stepped back, she saw Ava standing a few feet away. Releasing Jeremy, she stepped over to her. Nervously, she began to quietly speak. "Thank you for sharing Jeremy with me and the other girls. I know you see how special he is, but I don't know if you know how special he is to me."

Before she could say anything else, Ava wrapped her in a hug. She spoke in Lanie's ear, "I was there that night when that guy tried to attack you. It was my first night out with Jeremy, and I saw the look on your face when he came back with you in his arms. I know what he means to you, and I also know what you mean to him. If I didn't already, it was obvious from that kiss a moment ago. I'm happy for you.

Now," she said aloud as she took Lanie's arm in hers, "let's get the birthday boy back to the party before they start on the cake without him."

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. Just about everyone wanted to get a picture of Jeremy's face with its multitude of lip marks. With music playing in the background, the soft warmth of the torches and string lights, and the fire crackling in the firepit, it was just the sort of relaxing night to unwind from a long week. Having so many friends there, along with his family, to help celebrate his birthday, made it a night that Jeremy would remember for the rest of his life.

Jeremy couldn't even complain when his mother, at the behest of a certain group of girls, held court with his book of baby pictures. He gallantly withstood the giggles and comments about his chubby legs and cheeks. He bravely weathered the laughter at the various outfits and haircuts he'd sported for school and athletic pictures through the years. And mostly, he hid himself away on the other side of the party, talking with his guy friends and dreading how much ammunition would come to bear on him in the future.

As the cake was served to the crowd, Jeremy's father surprised him by asking for everyone's attention.

"On behalf of my wife as well, we'd like to thank you all for coming. We especially are grateful for Ava and Serena, who put this party together." He paused for the polite applause that followed. "More than that, however, we'd like to thank all of you for being so welcoming to our son. As many of you know, our family has moved a lot over the years because of the time I spent in the Army. It's been hard on my wife and I, but it's been worse for Jeremy. As you look around, most of you can probably find someone standing here who you've known most of your life." There were a nods and murmurs as the audience looked around.

"Unfortunately for Jeremy, he hasn't had the opportunity to grow up with the same group of people. Every few years, he's had to start over in a new school, with a new group of friends." Looking at his son, he said, "I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you, son."

Directing his attention back to the audience, he continued, "My son joined your class just this year, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you have impacted him in ways you probably aren't aware of. Your acceptance of him, your support, and most of all, your friendship, have helped bring out the very best in our son."

Once again looking to Jeremy, he said, "Your mom and I are so very proud of you. We couldn't ask for a better son, and we wish you the very best as you begin this new phase of life as an adult, and after tomorrow, a high school graduate. Happy Birthday!" This was echoed by his friends, along with some applause. Jeremy was overcome with emotion once again. His father had never been shy about expressing his love to his son. But this public recognition in front of his peers meant more than Jeremy could have expressed. He gave his mother and father big hugs in gratitude, which were received with several "Awwws" from the girls in attendance.

"One last thing," his father said. "We are hoping that you will all join us tomorrow night at our property south of town for a bonfire and graduation celebration. It'll be come-and-go, starting at 6. We'll have pulled pork, burgers and hot dogs; if you can bring a side or dessert to share, it would be appreciated." Even more applause followed.

With the main event out of the way and a busy day ahead for all of them on Saturday, the party began to break up about 8:30. Many of the attendees helped pick up trash, which helped lighten the load for everyone. By 9, only Jeremy, Ava, Serena, and his parents remained.

Ava and Serena thanked his parents once again for conspiring with them, hosting the party, and for entertaining the attendees. They also promised to return on Sunday to help take down the lights and torches, and do any other clean up that was needed. His parents told them not to worry about it; they'd take care of everything. With that, his dad went inside. His mom hesitated a moment, then patted his cheek, smiled, and followed him into the house.

Serena and Ava exchanged a meaningful look, and embraced in a tight hug. Serena spoke softly in Ava's ear, and Ava nodded as she listened.

Serena then stepped to Jeremy. With a twinkle in her eye, she kissed and hugged him and said, "I have a present for you, but it's not here. I'll give it to you tomorrow night, okay?"

Jeremy said, "You don't have to give me a present. You two have already given me the best birthday ever. That's enough for me."

"Well," she said, "why don't we talk about that when you see it tomorrow? Okay?" He just shrugged and nodded as she turned and walked away.

When it was down to just Ava and Jeremy, he felt a nervous tension coming from Ava. Seeking to defuse her emotions, he stepped towards her. Pulling her towards him, he looked her in the eyes and said, "I have the best girlfriend ever. Thank you for putting this together. I know Serena helped, but I have a feeling that it was mostly your doing, wasn't it?"

She nodded, and seemed about to speak when he continued, "I don't know what I did to deserve you, and I don't know how I overlooked you for so long, but I'm really grateful for everything you've done for me. No matter what happens in the future, I want you to know how special you are."

With tears in her eyes and her heart brimming with love, she pulled his head down and kissed his lips firmly and buried her head in his chest as she wrapped her arms around him. "You're incredibly special to me, too, Jeremy. I...have a gift for you too. Mine's not here, either, but I want to give it to you tonight. Can you take me to get it?" She'd almost blurted out that she loved him, but chickened out.

"Sure, let me get my jacket and keys. I'll meet you at my truck."

"Jeremy?"

"Hmmm?"

"Will you get a couple of blankets? It's a nice night and I don't want to go home. Maybe we can sit out and look at the sky?"

"Cool. Be right back."

While he was gone, she collected a small bag, a couple of folding chairs, and an inflatable camp mattress from her car and stowed them in the bed of his truck.

Once they were on the road, Jeremy asked where to take her.

"Actually, I kind of fibbed. I have your present, but I want to give it to you when we're alone. Can we go out to your family's land and build a little fire next to the pond? It's kind of where we first connected, and I thought it would be nice to celebrate out there."

"I like that idea. You got it," he replied.

As they drove, Ava was going over her mental checklist and reviewing what it was that she wanted to say to him. She looked over at him, his face illuminated by the lights of the dashboard, and once again admired his beauty. She couldn't help but wonder what he'd say. She wanted him to know that she loved him, but she also understood that he wasn't hers alone. Was it possible that he loved her too? Would he be frightened off? Would it be better to hold it in and just enjoy what he offered? Confusion and second-guessing consumed her thoughts. Before she knew it, they'd arrived at the pond.

Two trips to their land in one day was probably a record, he thought. Earlier, he had dug a new larger firepit for the intended bonfire the next night. Typically, though, they used a smaller pit on a small point overlooking the pond. That's where he took Ava tonight.

As he set about starting and building the fire, Jeremy was surprised to see Ava pull some folding chairs from the bed of his truck. Absorbed in getting the fire going, he didn't see her inflating the mattress. It wasn't until he was satisfied with his efforts that he looked around to see what she was doing. By that time, she was laying out the blankets he'd brought on the mattress.

He thought, It is a nice night, and it'll be more comfortable to look at the stars while laying down.

When she finished, Ava turned away for a moment to calm her nerves. After a few deep breaths, she turned and walked to Jeremy, holding out her hands. As he took them, she smiled up at him and bent in for a kiss. "Come sit with me?" she asked.

Once they settled into their chairs, Ava began speaking. "My present has a couple of parts. The first part involves me saying some things to you. I don't know what you'll think, and how you respond may determine the second part of my present. Before I begin, I just want you to know that, no matter what, you don't have to say or do anything. This is my gift to you, and that's all it has to be. But if you want to say something, please wait until I'm finished before you do. Okay?"

Jeremy was suddenly very nervous. It began to dawn on him just what she might be working towards. The need to be alone, the things she needed to say, the mattress...it all seemed to lead towards love and sex. Tonight. On his birthday. Swallowing hard, he nodded his agreement.

Ava slid her chair close to his and took his hand in hers. Now that the moment of truth had arrived, she was unsure of herself. She began to speak without looking at him. "Jeremy, since the first time I saw you at school, I've thought that you were the most beautiful man I've ever seen. That first day at lunch, when AJ teased me about dating Hank, I almost panicked because I didn't want you to think I was unavailable. As the months went by, I found out what an amazing guy you are. You're smart, and sweet. You're the most honest person I know. I could go on and on, but the best thing about you is that you don't know how special you are. I could date a hundred guys and maybe find a couple that share a few of your traits, but none of them would combine them all like you do.

I kept hoping that you'd ask me out, and when you didn't I began to think there was something wrong with me. It was sad, but I accepted that we could be friends." Jeremy tried to speak, but she held up her hand. "Not until I'm done." He nodded again.

"When I found out that you asked Jess out, I was crushed. I was so jealous of her, and I couldn't believe you'd ask her out but not me. But then came that day in the brush pile." She smiled faintly at the memory. "When you told me that you thought I was pretty, I was so happy. And then you told me about Jess and Hannah. I was mad, because I knew you could do better than Jess. I was jealous when you told me about flirting with Hannah. God, I can't believe the things I said to you that day! Afterwards, I was petrified that you'd think I was some loose girl who slept around all the time. But at least I had a date with Jeremy Halperin!

Then you told me about the non-exclusive thing Jess talked you into. I won't lie, I almost went right back in the house. But I figured it was worth at least one date to see what I'd be missing if I called it off. And you were amazing. Everything you did that night was perfect. You complimented my outfit, you held my hand going into the restaurant, you listened to me and talked with me, and then the thing with Lanie happened.

That was the moment that I realized I didn't care about the other girls. When you held her in your arms, I saw the looks on both your faces. She was scared, true, but also at peace as you held her. And you, you were so determined to take care of her. I knew right then that you were something special, and I wanted to have you in my life.