The Oxymelodrin Trials

Story Info
Three friends are made a lucrative offer.
10.5k words
4.49
5.4k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MaCrooner
MaCrooner
26 Followers

We left Minsk National Airport in the most luxurious taxi I had ever seen. As we sped along the immaculate blacktop between the airport and city with the air-con blasting, I relined the front passenger seat and hit the massage function.

"I can't believe we're being paid for this. Business Class flights, chauffeured transfer...at this point, I'd be disappointed if our hotel room didn't have a hot tub and its own butler."

"We're not staying in a hotel, John. It's a residential drug trial, remember? I'm guessing it'll be more like a hospital," Julia replied from the back of the taxi. She's my only close friend from work, and one of the few people that make my time there bearable.

"Well, if we're going to be cooped up with a bunch of quacks for the next seven days, we better make the most of our last few minutes of freedom."

"I still have no idea why they, like, brought us all the way out here, though?" said Kristina. She was relatively new at work, but Julia and I were happy that she'd decided to come with us.

"I think It's got something to do with development costs," I replied.

"Still a little fishy if you ask me. I didn't even know where Belarus was. I had to look it up on a map."

"Oh, come on, where's your sense of adventure?"

At that moment, several ramshackle buildings flashed past the window and, instead of replying, Kristina simply raised her eyebrows. I half-shrugged and went back to fiddling with the taxi's large assortment of buttons and dials. Julia and Kristina chatted away quietly in the back.

I tugged open the vanity mirror and shook my head. The face reflected back at me had clearly seen better days. My think, brown hair was scooped over to one side, almost meeting the prickly stubble that I ambitiously referred to as a beard. The sharp, hazel eyes that I had long considered my best feature were dulled somewhat by lack of sleep. Depending on your point-of-view, I looked either rugged or scruffy.

We arrived at the drug company's headquarters sometime later. It was an imposing building of glass and steel, rising to at least six stories. It sat at the centre of its own compound, ringed by a tall security fence and heavy concrete bollards. Access was controlled by a toll booth and uniformed guard.

After a brief exchange in a language I didn't understand, we were waved through and the taxi deposited us outside a bank of slowly rotating doors. We thanked the driver, exited the car and stepped inside. The huge, clean atrium was clinical and efficient, as was the lady behind the reception desk. She spoke with only the slightest hint of an accent.

"Can I help you Mr - "

"Morris, John Morris. Yes please, I'm here about a drug trial," I riffled through my pockets until I found a tatty-looking flyer recovered from the notice board in the break room at work. "Err...this one."

"Thank you," she took the flyer and scanned the page. "The Oxymelodrin trial. Have you been preapproved?"

"I think so. The guy on the phone went through a few questions, then told me I'd be an ideal candidate. I think it was the same for my colleagues over there," I gestured towards Julia and Kristina. "Before I knew it, we'd all been booked on a flight and told to come straight here from the airport."

"I see. Well, it's a little unusual, but Dr Anissa does have her own way of doing things. Your name is on the list, please take a seat and someone will be with you shortly." She gestured towards a collection of plush chairs encircling a glass coffee table in the corner of the atrium. "Next please."

Once my friends had gone through the same process, they took a seat next to me. I had picked up the first magazine from the top of a neatly arranged pile and tried to absorb myself in the latest news from the world of orthopaedics.

"Does this feel a bit odd to you?" asked Julia.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

"Well, aren't drugs companies supposed to test people before a trial? You know, to make sure they're not on medication or suffering from a heart condition, that sort of thing?"

"I guess. I'd pass with flying colours though; I'm the literal peak of physical health. Not so sure about you though," I said with a smile.

"I'm serious, John. They're offering us ten grand each for this trial. What if they're cutting corners and doing it here to get around health and safety? What happens if we get injured?"

"You're worrying too much, it's only a week. We'll be in and out in no time and then all we've got to do is think about what to spend all that money on." said Kristina.

"Besides, it's a bit late to back out now. Didn't you think about this before getting on the plane, Jools?" I added.

"I suppose I did a bit but, now we're here, I've just got this feeling -"

Our discussion was interrupted at that point by the hurriedly approaching footsteps of a young lady in a lab coat carrying a clipboard. Her blonde hair was neatly parted in the centre and a pair of thin framed glasses rested on her freckled button-nose.

"Mr. Morris, Ms. Dakin and Ms. Steel?" she asked, slightly out of breath.

"That's us," I replied.

"Pleased to meet you, I'm Hannah," she held out her hand and I shook it gently. "Please follow me,

Dr Anissa would like to meet our newest recruits."

She walked towards a set of double doors at the rear of the atrium and paused to swipe an identity card through the scanner. We followed a few steps behind.

"She seems keen," said Kristina in a hushed tone.

"Probably on the grad scheme; you know how they are," replied Julia. "Give it ten years and she'll have all that enthusiasm crushed out of her."

Kristina smiled, pointed at me and said, "looks like she's got one fan, though."

"Don't know what you mean, I hardly noticed how tightly that lab coat clung to her lithe young body."

"Too far John, too far."

The double doors opened into a wide, blindingly white corridor with an elevator at the far-end. We walked towards it in silence, save for the click-clacking of Kristina's high heels on the ceramic tiled floor. Once Hannah had reached the elevator, she paused again for another card swipe.

"Security is a pretty big deal here, huh?" I asked.

"Dr Anissa insisted, she takes her work very seriously. I find it inspiring. She's so awesome and I just know you're going to really help with her research."

"And what sort of research might that be? Nobody's actually told us what this Oxy stuff is," Julia interjected.

"I'd prefer to allow Dr Anissa to explain that in person. It's nothing to worry about, I promise. She's a Behavioural Scientist; one of the best," said Hannah with genuine admiration.

"So, how did you end up working here? you don't sound Belarusian," I asked, changing the subject.

"People come here from all over the world, it's one of the top medical research facilities in Easter Europe. I studied microbiology at Dublin, then got offered a position here straight out of university. It's taken a bit of getting used to, but the job makes it totally worthwhile."

The elevator doors pinged open and we stepped inside. Without pressing a button, the backlit elevator panel indicated we were travelling to floor UG3. The card swipe must have pre-programmed it.

"We're going underground?" asked Julia with some concern.

"-So let the boys all sing and the boys all shout, for tomorrow -" I sang quietly. "Didn't know you liked The Jam, Jools?"

"Shut up John. Why are we going underground?"

"All I can say is the research is highly confidential and being underground gives us extra security.

It's not at all claustrophobic down there but, if you feel uncomfortable, you can leave at any time," Hannah replied reassuringly.

After a short, humming descent, the doors slid open to reveal a bizarre scene. Directly in front of us was a central atrium, not dissimilar to the one upstairs, complete with a reception desk, ample seating and several vending machines. It was two-stories high, with a mezzanine, and lined by countless doors leading away in all directions. It seemed large enough to accommodate hundreds of people, but it was eerily empty. No signs of life anywhere.

"OK Guys, now please tell me how this isn't creepy?" asked Julia.

"You've got me there," I replied, stepping out behind Hannah.

"Sorry, I know how this might look. We've just started the programme and there's only around a dozen of us working on it right now. We're trying to recruit like crazy, but Dr Anissa is very selective."

"Look, thanks for the offer and everything, but I think I'm going to go back," said Julia.

"Please don't do that," Hannah pleaded. "Just meet Dr Anissa and decide afterwards."

Kristina glanced around the atrium. "It can't do any harm, Jools, and they're offering a lot of money."

"Well, I'm still up for meeting this doctor. I mean, what the hell else are we going to do? We've already booked the week off work and flown thousands of miles," I added.

"OK, fine, but if we end up on life support or this turns out to be some sort of organ harvesting scam,

I'm going to fucking kill both of you. Slowly. With a rusty blade and -"

"We get the point, Jools, you'll be very upset, and we'll have to make you tea every day for the next month. Well, unless they take your kidneys."

"I promise we're not going to take your kidneys, or any other part of you for that matter. Now, if you're ready, I'll take you to see Dr Anissa." Hannah laughed a little then led us through the building, past a brass sculpture fashioned into a double helix, and up to an anonymous door. She knocked several times and, after receiving a muffled reply, swung it open for us to enter.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it's safe to say that the woman standing before us was not it. She was so strikingly attractive that I couldn't think of anything to say. Her olive complexion made it difficult to guess her age, as did her large, gravity-defying breasts. Long, jet-black hair framed a pair off dusky-brown eyes and full, pink lips. I'm not ashamed to admit that I stared at her for longer than would normally be considered polite.

"Welcome to the Oxymelodrin programme, I'm Dr Anissa. Please take a seat," she said with a lilting French accent. Once we had sat down, she continued from behind a large, glass-topped wooden desk. "I'm sure you have many questions but, before I can say anything, I need you to sign a non-disclosure agreement. The documents are in front of you."

"Oh great, you want us to sign our lives away now?" asked Julia with a furrowed brow.

"Not at all. There's no medical waiver to sign and the NDA is only there to protect our intellectual property. We can't have members of the programme selling our trade secrets to the highest bidder," Dr Anissa replied with a smile.

"I guess that's reasonable, but what about our medical history and stuff? Nobody's asked us anything about that," I interjected quickly.

"We will be monitoring your vital signs in real-time, but we'll get to that later. For now, please sign the forms."

We each scan-read the document and duly signed and dated it. Dr Anissa collected the papers from us, deposited them securely in her desk drawer, and turned towards us. "Now, I'm happy to take any questions."

"Well, I'm just going to come right out with the obvious one; what is Oxyme-thingy?" Julia asked.

"It's a drug developed here at Draxil Pharmaceutical to treat musculoskeletal pain. It didn't work as expected, so it was dropped after the first trial. It did, however, produce some interesting side- effects. These side-effects prompted me to get involved and continue development. The results surpassed all our expectations and we're now into the fourth week of human testing."

"Wait, back up a minute, like, what sort of side-effects?" Kristina asked.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that or it may invalidate the results. If you're expecting the drug to do something, there's a chance your brain will make it happen."

"You mean the placebo effect?"

"Exactly. What I will say is that these side-effects are now the main focus of the drug's development. It's no longer being brought forward as a painkiller."

"OK, doc, but your assistant...err, Hannah, told us you're a Behavioural Scientist. Isn't that to do with Psychology and shit? You know, not drugs?" I asked, more than a little confused.

Dr Anissa seemed to momentarily scowl in Hannah's direction before proceeding. "She is correct, I qualified as a Clinical Psychologist, but now specialise in Neuropsychology with a particular interest in the neuro-cognitive aspects of human behaviour and interaction. That includes analysing the impact certain drugs have on the brain."

"Well, why didn't you just say so? Now it all makes sense," I said, rolling my eyes.

"So, like, how do we take this drug? Is it a pill or something?" Kristina asked.

"The original drug was taken orally in the form of a pill, but we found that the speed of absorption into the bloodstream negatively impacted its efficacy. The body's immune system would break it down before it could take effect. Consequently, the drug is now administered in the form of a gas."

"Not sure I like the sound of that," said Julia. "Reminds me of going to the Dentist."

We heard a notification pop-up on Dr Anissa's computer. She glanced down to scan the contents. "I'm very sorry, but I've just been reminded that I have a conference call in five minutes. If you have any other questions, we can continue tomorrow. Hannah will show you to your quarters."

"Wait a minute, what about the whole vital sign monitoring thing?" I asked.

"Hannah can run through that with you. I can only apologise, but I really need to take this call."

With that, Hannah led us back out into the atrium and through a maze-like series of near-identical corridors. They were all empty.

"You must find it bloody weird working here?" I asked as we approached a door labelled Suite 17a.

"It was a little strange when I first started, but I'm used to it now. Besides, I'd do nearly anything to work with Kate...err, Dr Anissa," Hannah stammered whilst swiping her access card. The door to Suite 17a unlatched with a satisfying click and she held it open for us to step inside.

In front of us was a comfortable - if sparsely furnished - communal area with a sofa, table, TV and small kitchenette. Later on, I discovered the door on the far side of the room opened into a corridor serving three separate bedrooms and a bathroom. Helpfully, each bedroom had one of our names printed on the door.

"Welcome to your home away from home. We've provided everything you need to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible." Hannah announced.

"Wait a minute, we haven't actually agreed to take part in this programme of yours yet. Dr Anissa didn't really answer anything," said Julia.

"Yeah, sorry about that, she's so busy at the moment. Why don't you get some rest and stay here tonight? You can talk to Dr Anisssa tomorrow morning and, if you still want to leave, we'll book you on the first flight home."

"What about our stuff, though? They told us not to bring anything, but we're supposed to stay here for a whole week?"

"You'll find the wardrobes, bathroom and kitchen fully stocked. Also, if you ever need anything, just holler. Use the tablet attached to the wall over there," Hannah gestured towards the kitchenette.

"Can we take a look at the bedrooms?"

"Not right now, unfortunately. The door over there is locked and I can't find the key. The Facilities Manager should have a spare, so I'll drop it by later."

"What are they?" I asked, pointing towards three small wristwatch-like devices sitting on the table.

"Oh, that's a neat bit of kit," said Hannah. "It's how we keep track of your vital signs. You'll need to wear these at all times. In fact, you may as well put them on now." She handed us one each.

As soon as I attached mine to my wrist, it seemed to self-adjust until it fitted tightly, but not uncomfortably. A digital display blinked to life: Initialising..., and then press OK. "Holy shit!" Julia shouted. "What the hell was that!?"

"Sorry guys, I should have explained what it was going to do; I know it's an unusual sensation. When you press 'OK', you'll feel a slight pinch. An ultra-thin needle inside the watch will puncture the skin so that we can continually monitor your bloodwork," said Hannah, matter-of-factly.

Somewhat reluctantly, all three of us pressed 'OK'. A few seconds later I felt a barely perceptible tingle in my wrist and the display changed to read: Operating Normally.

"Well that was an anti-climax," I said.

"Like I told you; nothing to worry about. Now, if nobody objects, I'll leave you to get a bit of R and R. I'll be back at 3pm-sharp to take you to physio. After that, you'll have to go through a full physical examination. In the meantime, please make yourselves comfortable." Without waiting for a reply, Hannah turned on her heel and left.

As soon as the door had closed, Julia rounded on me. "What the fuck have we gotten into here? I should have just left. Instead, we're in a bunker built by the fucking Stepford Wives, wearing Satan's own i-watch!"

"It's not so bad, Jools, just think of the money," I replied.

"Stop telling me to think about the money. I don't care! Tomorrow I'm going to see that doctor and tell her I want out. If you two had any sense, you will too."

"Maybe, I don't know. Perhaps this is just how all drug trails work?"

"Yeah, I'm sure every time they need a new antibiotic, they dig a massive hold in Eastern Europe, fill it with endless corridors and then forget to hire anyone!"

"You're right, it's a really strange place. I think I'm going to leave as well, but, like, we can't do much right now," Kristina said, whilst fiddling with the tablet. "Look, you can control the lights, TV and everything with this thing."

To demonstrate, she flicked through several stations, before stopping on a 24-hour news channel. All three of us then sat down on the sofa and chatted for a while to pass the time, which certainly helped to ease the tension. Before too long, Hannah returned, dead on time as promised, to escort us to our physio session and then on to a full medical exam.

Both passed without incident and seemed perfectly normal. Feeling somewhat reassured, even Julia started to consider staying until the end of the week. Indeed, when we returned to our quarters, we were feeling more relaxed than we at any other point that day. The trial may be a little eccentric and hyper security-conscious, but now at least it seemed like a legitimate operation. It also helped that we had met three new members of the medical staff, though, curiously, none of the other participants.

Hannah had given Kristina the bedroom key on the way back and she immediately disappeared off to the back of the suite. Julia and I sat back down on the sofa and started to discuss what might be in store the following day. We still had no idea what this drug was supposed to do, or what they wanted from us. Everyone we'd met so far had been tight-lipped for fear of invalidating the results.

A few minutes later we were interrupted by a worried-looking Kristina. "Umm, guys, I think you need to come and take a look at this."

We followed Kristina out of the rear door, along a short corridor and into her bedroom. It looked just as clinically functional as the rest of the building, save for a solitary pot-plant resting on the bedside table. They must have been feeling creative when they designed this room, I thought. Kristina was hunched over a squat chest-of-drawers and sifting through its contents.

"Look," she said, pointing downwards.

"Kris, not meaning to be rude, but why have you dragged me in here to look at your underwear?" Not that I was complaining, she was an attractive mix of southeast-Asian and European, with a voluptuous figure and deeply tanned skin.

MaCrooner
MaCrooner
26 Followers