The Perfect Crime Pt. 05: Atonement

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stared at me, trying to say something right.

Finally, as I noticed her dimples appear slightly, she said with a straight face, "But you're so cute!!"

I looked up with a jerk; she had everything she could do to keep from laughing.

"But it's all true!!" I said plaintively.

"I'm sure it is" she said soothingly, "but I think you're being much too hard on yourself. Only a bitch would do what she did to a trusting guy like you. But there were major character flaws in her psyche." She hesitated, took my hand in hers, and looked me in the eye. "I would never do something like that...to a guy like you." I swallowed hard.

My eyes started to tear up. 'Well, it's 4th and 25. Do I punt? Hell no; it's time for a Hail Mary pass.'

"I'm pretty sure I love you, and I don't know what to do about this, other than be honest, and try to help in any way I can."

"Whew, I'm glad, because we're pretty sure we love you."

"We?" I said.

"Haven't you noticed the way Sonia looks at you? And I'm sorry for the shock a while ago. I didn't realize her name was the same as your former wife's. She is named after my mother; she passed when I was very young."

At that, we both looked at the little person sharing our table.

Sonia looked up and said "So, are you going to be my Daddy?"

Just at that moment, Ginger walked up and set down another glass of Chocolate milk for Sonia, and was about to refill our coffees.

Jillian was the color of Ketchup; my mouth was open, and I was babbling. Ginger's gaze went from me to Jillian, and back again. Finally, she said with a grin "Well, it's about dam time." We hurriedly started paying attention to our breakfast again, as Ginger left with a grin from ear to ear.

"Well, I have to go meet my investigator. I'll see you at your condo at about 1:00 p.m. If you have any questions, call my office."

"Yes, sir. And thank you again."

I paid our bill, and left to meet Pete. I picked up a dozen donuts, and tooled into our parking lot. I got out, and went up to the 3rd floor, and put on the coffee. I went and sat in the office, and picked up the swab sample from little Sonia. At that moment, Pete arrived, and brought in the box of donuts, and 2 coffee cups.

"O.K., what do you have?" I asked.

"Here are the two cups from the gas station, and all the pertinent personal data. The one guy, Joe Deson, is married, for about 6 years, and has 4 kids. The other guy, Arthur Wallace, has been married for 4 ½ years. Both are good candidates to roll on this slug.

"When she was taken to the emergency room, the doctor on duty said she was hysterical; she said she had been raped, and she thought she had been drugged. They did blood screens, and a rape kit. Neither set of results were available when her husband picked her up.

"When they contacted the police, they said she had withdrawn the charges, claiming a misunderstanding. The test results were still on file," he said, pushing copies of hospital paperwork to me. I looked at them, and placed them on a growing pile.

"The doctor and one of the nurses said they would be glad to testify. We checked on the family of her husband, and they don't make a pimple on a hogs butt."

"Ah, technical talk."

He grinned, and continued "They think they run the town, and it looks like they have maybe 1 or 2 cops on their side. I hesitate to say payroll, because we didn't have enough time to dig that deep.

"We stopped, and talked to the lady's grandfather, and he seemed to be relieved she was all right. We didn't go into too much detail, but we gave him Sgt. Kinkaid's phone number in case he wanted to ask on her behalf. We gave him a code word, 'saddletramp,' and said to call after Saturday. Then the Sgt. Would be able to be honest with him. I took the liberty of calling Terry this morning, and briefing him on what arrangements we had made. He's on board with everything so far."

"Very good, Pete. I appreciate it. Now, go home and see if you can salvage the rest of your weekend. Monday, I want you to get these three samples to the lab, with a rush on the test results. Have one of your guys get in touch with Reno, Nevada, and find out if there is a copy on file of her marriage license.

"Then get with the sharks in Giselle's shop, and find out what the requirements for a marriage license are in Reno. I want to know if she is really married. Then, on Wednesday, you, me, and Tony are flying to Biloxi."

"Oh, great stuck on that commuter to hell."

"No, this time we're going in style, on Raptor Petroleum's G-3, to talk to Mr. Ravenaux. It will probably be out and back, but pack one change of clothes.

"Ohhh, now you're talking, boss. I could get used to that."

"Well, don't. We don't do enough hot-shot traveling to have a company plane. Now I have to get over to Jillian's condo to help her move in."

"See you Monday, boss. OH, I heard the Giants can't lose this weekend."

"Ohhh, why is that?"

"They got a bye week."

I'm glad I like him, and that he's good at his job.

I closed up the office, and grabbed the donuts, and set out for Jillian's condo. I pulled into the parking lot, and went to her front door with the box of Dunkins, rang the doorbell, and waited. Jillian answered the door, and opened it.

"Hi', she said. 'What do you have there?"

"Donuts. I don't suppose you and short stuff would like a couple?"

"Ooh, I love donuts. Thanks, boss" she giggled. "Sonia, Mr. Tremaine is here, and he brought donuts."

A thundering onslaught of little feet came racing to the door. "I very seldom get donuts. Too much sugar."

"If I was her dad, there would be donuts every Sunday morning, right after church."

"Can I have donuts now?" a small voice piped up.

"Yes, sweetie. ...So you go to church"

"Yes, Sacred Heart Church. I am Catholic."

"I am Baptist. But I haven't been to church in a long time."

"Well, you seem like a nice person anyway."

"The girls were right, you can't tell a joke."

I grinned. "I try. So, you ready for moving in day? Your stuff should be here pretty soon." She was dressed in a t-shirt, and jeans. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail .

"Coffee? I just made a fresh pot."

"Thanks, that would be good."

We sat and commiserated over coffee and donuts, while Sonia licked crème filling off of everything.

"You would be a very bad influence as a father. Especially to a certain little girl" she said looking at me over her coffee cup with a small smile on her face."

"Well, I had hoped to be a bad influence on her already, and I'm not officially her father...Yet."

"Oh, and are you applying for the job? "she asked. "Maybe. It depends on what other benefits come with the job."

With that, the doorbell rang, and she went to answer it. "Hi, are you Mrs. Jillian Carsten?"

"Yes, I am. Who are you?"

"My name is Michael Garza, and this is my brother, David. We are from Garza Towing and Mechanical. My dad towed your van a week ago or so."

"UH, is Mr. Tremaine here?"

"Boss, two young men to see you." I came to the door, and saw Mike and Dave standing there, and their truck in the driveway.

"In here, guys." They came in carrying several boxes.

"Where would you like them, ma'am."

"Oh, just in the living room will be fine." With the four of us carrying, it took just two trips to empty the truck. She thanked the boys, and picked up her purse to tip them a few bucks, but they refused.

"However, we will liberate a couple of donuts," said Mike.

She smiled, and said "Help yourself."

After they left, she started pulling out things, and sending them to their respective rooms. Most things were Sonia's toys, and some warmer clothes. After we disposed of most things, we sat on the couch, and visited a while.

"I know you are a super nice Samaritan, but I must owe the Garzas something."

"They feel they owe me, so it was no problem calling in a favor. Probably when Mike and Dave get back to the shop, and tell their Mom what a nice person you are, you'll get an invitation to dinner. They are truly nice people."

"Is there anyone you have not helped?"

I legitimately blushed hard, and said "Yes, quite a few. But I'm trying to make amends for my misspent youth" (and my very bad adulthood). "I found that what comes around, goes around. That and pay it forward."

"So what about the run of bad luck with your marriage?" she asked.

"That is truly unknowable. I must have done something really bad in my last 3 lives."

"I thought the Catholic Church doesn't believe in things like that."

"It doesn't but I do. If God were a nice guy, the Giants would have a winning season." She laughed.

"Janine said that was your one big vice" she said with a smile.

She had been smiling more and more lately.

"So, what do you have planned for the rest of your day" I asked.

"Probably just puttering around and fixing some dinner for the kid and me. "

"Oh, no, we're going out for an early dinner, then I'm going home to bed so I can get to church on time tomorrow."

"Oh, I'll have to change before I ..."

"Not for where I'm thinking; just your shoes. Maybe some heels, or cowgirl boots, if you have them."

"You'll have to settle for heels, then, till I can get a pair of boots."

"Sounds good to me." She went and changed shoes, and ran a brush through her hair, redid her pony tail after brushing her hair, fixed her lipstick and eye shadow. The she got Sonia ready to go. When MY girls were ready (feeling a little proprietary), we went out to the Beemer.

"I'm gonna have to get another seat if this is gonna be a regular thing."

We got in, and left for Texas Road House.

The place wasn't quite crowded, so we didn't have too much trouble getting a table. She looked at the menu, and ordered potato skins, 8 oz. filet, sweet potato fries, mushrooms, and a longneck. The kid had nuggets, fries, and a coke. I got prime rib, blood rare, steak fries, and potato skins, with a Bud. We had a good dinner, and light conversation.

She wanted to know what time was church; I told her 8:00 a.m. She asked if they could go with me. I said sure, if you would like. She said she would, as it would give them some base in their lives. We shared some things about our lives, like did I want kids.

"Yes, very much so. It was one of the biggest things my wife stole from me. How about you?"

"With the right man, probably two more." She had been looking at her side salad when she said that, and slowly raised her eyes to mine.

Oh, God, I was so much in love. I told her if we went to church, we would have to go to this little restaurant I knew of for breakfast.

"Let me guess- Waffle House?" she giggled.

"Oh, you've heard of it?"

She giggled again. We finished dinner, and Jillian wanted ice cream. We went to Dairy Queen, and got dipped cones. Sonia was over the moon.

"Thanks, Mr. Maine! I've never had one of these before!" I looked at her mother, who was looking embarrassed.

"We never had extra money to get things like ice cream. My husband always kept a tight rein on the finances. I was almost always broke."

She sniffled, and looked at her ice cream cone. "This is new to me, and I'm scared it's going to end."

I took her hand in mine. "Unless you chase me away, or have me restrained legally, or... Shoot me, I'm here for the duration."

"No chance, James" she said.

In for a dime, in for a dollar.

So we finished our ice cream, and went to her condo. I dropped them off, gave her back her keys, gave Jillian a hug, and gave Sonia a kiss.

She said "So when are you gonna be my daddy" I choked, and Jillian looked embarrassed.

"I think your mom and I are working on it. I'll let you know." Now I was over the moon. I told Jillian to be ready about 7:15.

"Then we can get a good seat."

"Well, you wouldn't want a bad seat, or to be late at God's house" Jillian said.

I went to We Be Kids, and bought the best 4-8 year old baby seat they had. I also got a cool little stroller. I could get used to this daddy stuff. I went home and got an iced tea. Then I went in to the garage, and installed the seat, and secured the stroller. Then I went and spooled up the boob tube. I watched a John Wayne marathon, where he saved western civilization, a rancher's spread from a greedy banker, died at the Alamo, and landed with the airborne forces on D-Day. I crashed in bed at about 10:00 p. m., and visions of Jillian danced in my head.

The Jaguar would have to be for special occasions, because it was only a 2-seater. No room for munchkins. I cleaned up, put on Sunday go to meeting clothes, and fired up the big horse. I opened the door, and backed out. Into the street, and off to Jillian's. They were waiting on the porch.

'Wow,' I thought, 'they clean up nice.'

Sonia had on a yellow sun dress, white little girl socks, and black patent leather shoes. She had white gloves, and a pocket book. Her mother was gorgeous. A green A-line dress, ending just at her knees, green heels (3"), taupe stockings (or probably panty hose. I had no basis for judgment), a small white hat, and I think they call it a clutch.

I was smitten. 'DO NOT SCREW THIS UP' I mentally chastised myself. We got loaded into the truck, and I buckled up my little buddy. She was bouncing up and down, and laughing. 'O.K., let's go.' I fired her up, and we left for church.

I was thinking that after our first year of marriage, Sonia always slept in on Sundays. I tried not to miss church, and made it 95% of the time. I was in seventh heaven. Then my mind started to free associate.

'What if she wasn't comfortable in my church? What if she wanted her Baptist culture back again? What would that do to us? What would it do to me?'

And then the little voice came back 'DON'T OVERTHINK THIS. ONE STEP AT A TIME!!'

We went in, and I led the way to the back, and my normal pew.

I turned and said "I try to sit in the back. God can hear me, but it might make it a little harder to find me."

"Nonsense," Jillian said, "We have nothing to worry about, unless your God is not as forgiving as my God."

We walked about ¾ of the way down the center aisle, and found three seats on the aisle. Sonia was gob smacked, and was looking all over the place.

"Who is that hanging on that tree, and why is He all bloody?" she asked.

"That's Jesus. He died for our sins, so we can be saved, and go to heaven." Yeah, I know. Based on what I've done, I have no business pushing this line of thought.

"And who is that lady?"

"The one in blue and white?"

"Yes, she's so pretty."

"That's Mary, Jesus's mother. If you guys come back at Christmas, you can see the stable where Jesus was born."

Spinning around in her seat, Sonia pleaded, "Can we mommy? Please?"

"I don't see why not" said Jillian. She was absolutely beaming. She looked across at me, and mouthed 'Thank you.'

I smiled and winked at her.

Mass started, and I led them through the responses, and the rituals. We managed to get through the service without any lightning bolts striking us, and as we were leaving, we stopped and met with Father Jerome, who had celebrated the mass.

"How are you, James?" He asked.

"Better, Father. Allow me to introduce Jillian Carsten, and her daughter Sonia.

"A very great pleasure, ladies. I was very happy to see you dragging my friend closer to God. I'm thinking this may be part of the reason you are feeling better?"

"Can't hurt, Padre." Jillian smiled, and thanked the priest for his kind words.

Sonia piped up, "Did you know Jesus?"

He laughed, and said "No, my child, I'm not quite that old."

"How about his mommy?" He grinned, and said no, but he wished he had.

"Everybody needs a good mommy."

He turned to me, and said 'My son that rain check is still good. It would appear that God felt I needed a little assistance, though, which is fine. As long as the end result is the same."

He turned to Jillian, and said "I look forward to seeing you again, my child. Take care of our boy there."

"I will try, Father. Thank you for your kind words of welcome."

We left church, and I felt a whole lot better about my life.

My truck load of laughing females and I arrived at Waffle House, and we boiled through the front door. Ginger was all agog, and met us with hugs and kisses, and led us to a table. "Well, this is nice. Where were you guys?"

Sonia piped up "We went to church, and saw Jesus, and his mommy, Mary."

"Oh, you did, huh? Well, that's wonderful." She brought chocolate milk, coffee, and hot tea, and took our orders. We had a very good meal, and I invited the ladies back to my house to watch football.

"I won't subject you to the Giants; they have a bye week."

She laughed, and said "Thank you, James."

Ginger came and sat with us. "You guys look good together."

Jillian blushed, and I said I thought that she was doing wonders for my personality, or lack of it.

"Good. Just behave yourself. I don't want to go up alongside your head for being an idiot."

Now I blushed, and Jillian laughed.

"He is being a perfect gentleman. Maybe next week you can come see my new house after work."

"I would like that, dear," she said.

We ate our breakfast, and I paid the bill, and we left. We drove to my house, and Sonia was blown away by the electric garage door.

"MAGIC!" She shrieked.

"I don't have anything in the way of little girl toys, or things to keep her amused."

"Don't worry about it. She'll love just being some place different." We went inside and I turned on the lights. My ladies were mesmerized by the first floor.

My house was two stories, 5 bedrooms, 3 car garage, a big family room, living room, a huge eat in kitchen, and 3 ½ bathrooms, and an attic.

"What would you like to drink?" I asked. "I have soda, coffee, tea, iced tea, wine, or liquor. Take your pick."

"I would like some hot tea, please."

'She doesn't drink much. Maybe she is still unsure of our relationship. That's o.k., we will take it really slow.'

I put the kettle on, and invited her to come pick her tea. I used to drink a lot of hot tea, but now it was beer, or iced tea.

"What can we get short stuff?"

"Sonia, what would you like to drink, baby?" She came and opened the frig door.

"Orange juice" she proudly announced.

"Orange juice it is," I responded.

I poured her a ¾ cup full of OJ., and got myself an iced tea. The water started to boil, and Jillian fixed hers. We retired to the family room, and I turned on the t.v. We settled on the Nat Geo Channel, and got a program about seals, and penguins. Kept Sonia glued to it. It was pretty interesting. I realized that my dream lady resembled the reporter Nicolle Wallace.

'I could do worse' I figured.

We talked a little, and I found out some things about her. She didn't think she was beautiful, and was not sure what a man would see in her. She liked quiet times at home, and family. She was an only child, and her family had died in a car accident when she was young. She had been raised by her paternal grandparents. Her grandmother had passed when she was a sophomore in college. Her grandfather was spry for his age, and had money. He was pretty much a home body, though. I told her when we went to Biloxi, we were going to see if we could bring her granddad back to visit.

"You know, Thanksgiving is coming, and I thought you might like to make him Thanksgiving dinner."

"That would be so nice," she gushed. "But what are you going to do for Thanksgiving? Where are you eating dinner?"

"I don't know yet. I'm sure I'll find something."

"I think you already have" she said.

She looked me square in the eyes, and moved closer. Alright, I haven't felt like a teenager on a first date in longer than I care to remember. But this woman was driving me up the wall.

I looked back at her, and said, "Uh, how's your tea?"