The Perfect Crime Pt. 05: Atonement

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hot" she replied, never taking her eyes off mine. She moved even closer, and put her hand to my face.

'I have wanted to do this for a long time. Please let it be that good.'

She took my head in her hand, and pressed those gorgeous lips to mine. The pressure was fantastic, and her tongue sought the inside of my mouth with borderline savage lust. She still was a little unsure, but she was on a mission to find out. When she broke the kiss, she was panting.

"Well," I said "How'd I do?" I was also slightly out of breath. I was struggling to control myself.

"I think we need to practice, but something tells me we will have lots of that. What kind of non-fraternization policy does your firm have?"

"I'll have to check on that" I said as I kissed her again.

We were interrupted by a small entity squirming between us, and giggling.

"Whatcha doin?" she said innocently.

"I was just saying thank you to Mr. Tremaine for everything he has done for us."

"Oh, I thought you were smooching."

That reduced the two of us to peals of laughter. She occupied my lap, as her mother and I snuggled closer.

'This is so nice,' I thought. 'I don't ever want it to end.'

The girls fell asleep on the couch, safely ensconced in my arms. At 6:30, I roused them, and we made our way to the Bronco.

"How about we get some Mickey D's on the way home?" I asked.

"Sounds good to me" said Jillian.

"What's a Mickey D's?" asked Sonia.

"America's Dinner of Champions" I answered. We pulled into a Mc Donald's, and went to the drive thru. "What does she get to drink?" I asked.

"Well, you've already corrupted my daughter's eating habits with ice cream; what more harm could you do?" "Ah-ha. Great." As we pulled up to the menu kiosk, I said to the grinning face of Ronald Mc Donald, "One happy meal, with a hamburger, fries, apple slices, and a coke, one big Mac Meal, super-sized, with a coke, and for you my lady?"

"A chicken sandwich, crispy meal, regular size, with an unsweet tea." "Got that?"

"Yes sir. That will be $11.27, first window." We pulled forward; Sonia was all agog.

This was going to be great, having a child. All the things I took for granted, she was experiencing for the first time.

I paid, and we pulled to the next window, collected our food, and drove home to their condo.

"We had a great time," Jillian said, as I unbuckled Sonia, and gave her her happy meal. I walked them to the door, and was rewarded with a mind blowing kiss.

"The pleasure was all mine," I said.

"That's funny, I thought I had some pleasure, too" said Jillian. She grinned at my obvious embarrassment. I held the door for them and was rewarded with a smile. I went back to the Bronco, and drove home.

Monday dawned bright and clear. I showered, dressed, and went to Waffle House for breakfast. I walked in, and sat down.

Ginger arrived with coffee. "Where's your sidekicks?" she asked.

"I don't know."

With that, the Beemer pulled into the parking lot, and my 'sidekicks' walked in.

"Good morning, boss" said Jillian.

"Hi, Mr. Main" said Sonia.

"Ladies, how are you this morning?"

"Wonderful; how are you?"

"Peachy keen." They ordered breakfast, and sat talking with Ginger. I ate breakfast, paid my bill, and said I would see them at work. I went out and got in the Bronco, and drove to Dunkin Donuts.

"3 dozen filled, jellies, and glazed, please" I told the young lady. And then I asked for another box with 1 dozen glazed in it. Figured if I was going to police headquarters, I could afford to jerk their chain a little. I arrived at work, and brought the 3 dozen donuts inside. I took them to the third floor, and into the break room. Just then, Janine arrived and swirled in.

"Oh, we have to keep her around. I can't live without donuts."

"Yes, you're welcome "I said. She laughed, and I told her I was going to police HQ., if she needed me; otherwise, I'd be back later.

"Gotcha, boss. Be careful."

I went down, and waved to Jillian as she pulled in to work. I left, and drove to police H.Q. I went up to the 4th floor, and went looking for Terry. I saw him, and called out "Hey, Hoss!" He turned, and grinned as I held up the box of donuts.

"That's low, Counselor" and came towards me with his hand outstretched. I thought he wanted to shake my hand, and stretched out mine to him, but he just wanted to grab the donuts.

"Typical cop" I said, with a grin on my face. "Are the Feds here yet?"

"Not quite, but you know how those gov'mint types are."

"Come on, let's get set up. Walsh will be here soon." We went to their big conference room. "Coffee?" he asked.

"Sounds good" I said. We got coffee, and settled in to wait. Art Walsh came in about 10 minutes later. He was munching on a doughnut.

"Hey, I'm a cop!" he said. We all laughed, and continued to wait. About 20 minutes later, The Feds arrived.

Special Agent John Trell, Special Agent Timothy Davis, and Agent Jane Mongur came into the conference room. We were introduced around, and they got coffee.

I offered them donuts, and Trell said "Do we look like cops?"

"Well, no." I said.

"But we do like donuts." Laughs all around. Terry knew John Trell pretty well, as a supervisory agent in charge. The other two agents were from Financial Crimes Division. They took seats, and broke out files, and laptops.

"Mr. Tremaine, you really aren't a suspect, but more a person of interest. We have a lot of procedural questions."

I looked at Terry; "Did you write their script, too?" The three Feds looked at each other.

"Ignore him," said Terry. "He's been through a lot." They looked at each other again. "That's the same line I gave him when the murder occurred."

"Ah, I understand. Well, your wife had a lot of property, and cash. Everything seems in order, and we see you have already set in motion the consolidation paperwork for the estate. We just would like to know..."

"How she managed to hide all this from you for so long, sir." said Jane.

I looked at her, and thought about my response. My ire spiked a little.

"My wife was a knockout, Agent Mongur. She led me around by my genitalia, and slowly cut our sex life back to nothing. I freely admit that I was the most clueless person on the face of the earth, until the disrespect and putting down came out in public. By then, I was sure it was me. It wasn't. I'm sure that Sergeant Kinkaid told you I was in the process of divorcing her when she was murdered."

As I was reciting this litany, my stomach was turning over, and I was getting more and more pissed off. The Feds seemed to be taken a little aback, and they started with "Sir, we don't think..."

"No, you don't. When I started looking into things, I found out things about my wife that I never suspected. My entire life went in the toilet, nothing compared to the prospect of divorce."

"O.K., O.K., that's enough. We realize it was difficult, sir. It's just hard to reconcile everything we see with life in the real world."

"WELCOME TO MY REAL WORLD!!" I snarled.

"James wants this behind him, that's why he has agreed to be here. He's an attorney, and has agreed to sit down with you without representation."

"My wife had insisted we file separate tax returns; she kept everything about her private life apart from me; I didn't know anything about any of this till I started going through her things after her murder; the police have been through our house, and I brought them the records you're investigating now; I have her journals, which if you would like, I can make available to you, although they are almost exclusively of a personal nature, and very demeaning."

"She had a tubal ligation before we were married, and kept it secret, while screwing everything in pants, and one in skirts; ...

Except me.

"She deprived me of children, and it was all downhill from there. But I still loved her with my whole being. She flaunted her affairs in my face starting about 8 months ago. You know about that piece of shit Blaine. Is he still roaming the streets?" The two agents from Financial Crimes were taken aback.

Trell answered "He'll be picked up this afternoon, about 2:00. We have him under surveillance; he does not appear to be having a good day. I don't think his week is going to be any better, after what you gave us. It appears that all their accounts were wiped just before your wife left for her 'engagement'. He was panic stricken when the news of her murder hit the news. He appears to be oblivious to what happened, but also clueless to what happened to the money. Your former wife appears to be the master mind. She obviously did not anticipate being murdered."

They were perusing files and laptops, and appeared to have questions, but were unsure how to ask them, or who to ask.

"All her business dealings, and personal finances seem to be in order, so we probably won't be attaching any of them. As you noted it appears she died intestate, but that appears to be a state matter. All her taxes were up to date, and we have not been able to locate another lawyer involved in her affairs, in the U.S. There may have been some dealings with an English firm; we're still looking into that."

"I had most of her holdings turned into cash, and C/D's, and deposited in trust, in case there are any questions. Her Real estate holdings were liquidated, except for two foreign holdings, and one real estate interest here in town. We are trying to run down the English connection, if you will."

"Yes, sir, we saw all that, and the government is appreciative. I am sorry she took advantage of you, the way she did."

"I apologize, sir, for coming off so insensitive," said Agent Mongur. "It's our job to look at everything."

"Sure," I answered sullenly, and wiped several tears from my eyes. Maybe I still had some feelings for her.

We went over just about everything my team had checked, and they were satisfied with the results.

"We don't have anything else. But if you wouldn't mind: Don't leave town for another week or so. I always wanted to say that" chuckled Trell.

"As I'm sure Terry told you, I'm flying out to Biloxi Wednesday morning, and hopefully returning that night. Would you like me to call you when I return?"

Trell grinned; "No, Mr. Tremaine, that won't be necessary. We are satisfied that you have told us everything you know. Besides, Terry has assured me that you would be available if anything else turns up."

"Thanks," I said, handing them all business cards. "Just don't expect donuts next time."

I got up, shook hands with Terry, and nodded to the Feds. 20 minutes later, I was at work.

I strolled into the office, and greeted my right hand person. She followed me into my office with donuts and coffee. "Pete was here, and took the DNA samples to the lab. Jeremy called, and said your golden girl has already found one hidden financial subterfuge in an estate claim, and 2 inconsistencies in a will." Janine grinned. "She's doing real well, boss. How was your morning?"

"Hectic, to say the least. I may have to send candy and flowers to the FBI to apologize". Then I thought about it.

"I was probably a little raw with the answers to some of their questions. I thought I was past all that grief."

"It's o.k., boss. We'll make it. Oh, one other thing. We got a communication from a British law firm. They wondered if you and your 'barristers' would be available Thursday for a sit down with Sonia's lawyers from the U.K."

"Sure, set it up, get the brain trust on board, kiddo. And have Alan come up; I need to talk to him."

"Got it." She walked out to her desk, and I started in on accumulated paperwork. 20 minutes later, Alan Dowling came in and shook my hand.

"What was that for?" I asked.

"I haven't seen or talked to you in a couple of days. I was curious how you were holding up. JoAnne and I have been worried about you."

"I'm hanging in there. Have you met the new accounting intern?"

"You mean Jillian? Just about everyone has met her, and likes her. She seems very competent."

"That's good to hear. Have a seat. I want to show you something. This file is for your eyes only. It has to do with her impending divorce."

Alan and I go way back; he was quarterback on our high school football team, and I was his go-to wide receiver. He went to Stanford on scholarship, I went to Georgetown. He came home and married his high school sweetheart; I joined the Marines, and afterwards I brought Sonia home, and married her. Then he came to my law firm from the D/A's office, cause there was too much politics there. And the money sucked. He was like the brother I never had. I was godfather to his oldest child. The boy was named David James, and so far was the closest I had to having my own child... Till now, I hoped.

He picked up the folder of info from Pete and Tony. "All the info I have is in there, with the exception of DNA test results. We are waiting on them. This has to do with Jillian. She has been royally wronged, and I want to help her. ...Also, if this works out, I will need a best man."

That got his attention, and his head snapped up. "You sly dog. JoAnne and I will have to have a sit down with this young woman, just to save her.

"No, that's the last thing I need. Besides, she has already talked at GREAT lengths with Janine."

"Does she know about your fascination with the Giants?"

"Yes, and she knows I don't swim too well, too."

"O.K., then there isn't much more damage we can do. How you ever made it through the Marine Corps, I'll never know."

He was chuckling and had gone back to reading.

"This guy is not exactly upstanding. What are we looking at?"

"What can we hurt him with?"

"Well, if the rest of the evidence holds up, I see rape, pandering, assault, possible false imprisonment. It would depend on what you needed to do, and what the prosecutor in... Mississippi will do. If this clown has any pull, I think you would do better to lean on him with threats rather than actual criminal actions."

"Sounds good. See what you can come up with to hit this clown with, o.k.? And bill it to me. Janine knows what to do."

The rest of Monday, and Tuesday passed relatively quietly. I was on the phone with Mr. Ravenaux, and set up a meeting at his place after we got into Biloxi. I talked to Giselle, and arranged for her to accompany us to Biloxi. We heard back from England, and Sir Robert Lawnvale would be arriving Thursday. We set up a suite at the Four Seasons (no, not the Radisson) for him, gave him the particulars, and arranged to have a car pick him up at arrivals at the Big Airport.

I met Jillian and Sonia for breakfast on Tuesday morning, and an early one on Wednesday morning. She wished me good luck, and kissed me.

"Just so you don't forget who you're coming home to. Please be careful."

Pete, Tony, and I picked up Giselle and went to the FBO, and were ushered into the waiting area. At 10:00, Sam arrived, and introductions were made all around. Sam had one lawyer, and his security guy.

"10 souls, as the pilots say "said Sam. "Let's go, folks." We walked out to the aircraft, and the co-pilot, and crew chief collected the luggage, and made their way to the back of the airplane. We boarded and strapped in, while the cabin attendant took drink orders.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's 391 miles as the crow flies; flight time will be approximately 1hour, 5 minutes. The weather in Biloxi is 70 degrees and clear and sunny. Enjoy your breakfast, such as it will be, and sit back for a smooth flight."

"Crew prepare the cabin for departure."

The young lady came down the aisle, and made sure everyone was buckled up, and then went back to the galley, and took her seat. Sam immediately struck up a conversation with Giselle, and turned on the charm. His wife had died from cancer 3 years before. They had been married for over 40 years. He was a very spry, sharp, and good looking 69 years old. And Giselle was eating it up. The rest of the males in the cabin zoned out until we were airborne. Coffee and sodas would be served, along with little coffee cakes, as soon as we got airborne.

"Tower, Gulfstream 445R requesting permission to taxi."

"Gulfstream 445R, permission to taxi to runway 75R; you are third for takeoff."

The two Spey engines screamed out their 23000 lbs. of thrust, sending us out on the taxiway to the runway.

"Gulfstream 445R, you are next in line. Wind from the north @ 11 mph; visibility 35 miles and clear."

"445R, Roger."

"445R, you are cleared for takeoff. Climb and maintain 3000 feet; contact departure control. Have a good day, sir."

"445R, Roger. Thank you." 23000 lbs. of thrust sent us down runway 75R, and into the sky, with the G-3's usual reliability and noise pollution. Giselle and Sam were in rapt conversation; the rest of us zoned out while the flight attendant fussed over us.

The pilot came over the intercom: "Ladies and gentlemen, We are beginning our descent into Biloxi airspace. We will be landing at Million Air Airport. The local time is 12:45 p.m. ; the temperature is a balmy 64 degrees. Cabin attendant, please secure the cabin for landing."

The flight attendant came through, and policed the cabin, and went back to her seat.

We touched down, and taxied to the terminal building behind the little follow me golf cart. We rolled to a stop, and the APU spooled up as the engines shut down. We deplaned, and the ground personnel met us with vehicle reservations, and keys. We grabbed our gear, and piled into two Expeditions, and left for Ravenaux Ranch. 25 minutes later we pulled into Arthur Ravenaux's circular drive, and were greeted by Mr. Ravenaux himself.

We introduced ourselves, and were led into his spacious ranch style home.

Arthur Ravenaux was a tall, whip thin man, but wiry, and muscular. He did not look 71, but he had a tired look about him. We went into the large library, and found a seat. Giselle, Pete, and Tony had left to find one Timothy Mc Gee, Attorney at Law. He had handled Jillian's original suit for divorce, as a legal aid lawyer.

Now he had his own practice. We were joined by a Ms. Consuelo Torres, who appeared to be Arthur's 'friend'. She sat next to him. Sam's lawyer in acquisitions, Lance Jameson took the lead.

"Mr. Ravenaux, we are here to hopefully take care of several things. I will make the presentation on the acquisition of your Ravenaux Island property, and Mrs. Anderson will explain the divorce when she returns."

"The Island is not for sale. I believe I made that clear to Your people" he said, leveling a glare at me as he spoke, "when they were here last time."

"I understand, Mr. Ravenaux. But they are entwined in their importance. Please hear us out."

He tensed, but Consuelo grabbed his shoulder and squeezed gently.

"O.K., let's hear it."

"What we propose is to purchase the land for $270,000,000. We will make three annual payments of $90,000,000 each, due on the anniversary of the signing of the contract. We will put the money in any place or form you want, as long as it's legal. We will pay all taxes. We will commence drilling as soon as we legally own the property, and will use the revenue generated to make our payments.

"As soon as we make the first payment, the subsequent revenue will be split 50 / 50, till the following year, when we will start again. If, God forbid, you should become deceased, the original payment scheme will continue to your estate.

"After we have made the $270,000,000 payments, we will continue to split the revenue 50 / 50 between your granddaughter and the Company, in perpetuity, or until the oil deposit runs dry. Regardless of the amount we drill out of the ground, we will minimally pay out the amount of $270,000,000. There will be two separate documents, one reflecting the sale for the disclosed amount; the other reflecting the subsequent amounts to your granddaughter. The second one will not be made public; whoever you designate as executor will be named."