The Perfect Crime Pt. 05: Atonement

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As he was speaking, Lance slid the aforementioned documents across to Mr. Ravenaux. He picked them up, gave them a cursory view, and handed them to Consuelo. That raised some eyebrows around the table, but no one said anything. She pulled out a pair of eyeglasses, and perused the 6 pages. She studied them, and handed each page in turn back to Art. When she was done, she removed her glasses, and nodded to Art. She straightened up and calmly surveyed everyone.

She smiled, and asked "Would anyone like some more coffee or iced tea, or anything else?" Several of us responded positively, and she arose, excused herself, and left the room.

After a few minutes, and looks being exchanged around the table, I couldn't restrain myself. Prompted by the grin on Art's face I asked "No offense ,sir, but Consuelo is obviously more than she appears to be."

He chuckled, and said "She is my legal advisor. I wanted her here, what with a bunch of hotshot Texas lawyers, and oilmen coming over, to advise me. She has lived here for close to 11 years, soon after my wife passed. She has turned me down every time I asked her to marry me. Said she didn't want to be characterized as a gold-digger."

"Well, sir I can understand the ladies concern. She is very attractive." Consuelo was about 5'2" tall, slim, nice build, and long black hair. She looked to be about 32 or so. Art was openly laughing now.

"How old do you think she is, son?"

"About 35?" I guessed, figuring I had to be wrong.

"She's 66, but don't tell her I told you." O.K.,now we were all dumbfounded. "She graduated from the University of Mexico City, with a degree in contract law. But she lost all accreditation up here, and couldn't practice. She is a sweetheart, and doesn't deny me anything,... but she won't marry me."

With that, she returned with a tea cart loaded with coffee, iced tea, hot tea, and small coffee cakes. She pushed the cart to the center of our conference, and resumed her seat. She looked around, grinned, and said "Well, it would appear the cat is out of the container."

"Bag, dear." said Art. "Cat's out of the bag." She skewered him with her eyes, and said "I like my way better. May I?" "Yes, dear."

"Ahem." "Your proposal is very straight forward, and seems to be legal, and fair. The question is WHY?" she said.

I spoke up: "Consuelo, we are trying to look out for Jillian and her daughter. The only reason this turd married her was to get his hands on the property. If she no longer has access to the property, we can make this marriage go away. We are working on several fronts, and that's why Mrs. Anderson is meeting with her former attorney, Tim McGee."

At that moment, Giselle, Pete, and Tony came in. "We're on track, James. He's going to depose the doctor, and the two nurses, getting everything notarized, and will be back in touch with us."

At this, Sam spoke up for the first time. "Art, you remember that little dust-up a number of years ago, when Texaco freaked out on the handshake agreement?

In Texas, a man's word is his bond. We can write this up, and Mrs. Anderson will notarize it. We can do this, sir. I have grandchildren just like you. This young man" pointing to me "did me a great service a number of years ago, and now my daughter is Vice President, and Chief Operations Officer of Raptor Petroleum, and has given me grand children. If he says this is in her best interests, I will go to the mat for him." With that, he extended his hand.

"You have my word on this."

Art looked at Sam, and then surveyed the table. He turned to Consuelo, and she gave a small nod.He turned back to Sam, and said "Mr. Lodge, I don't much trust or care for big city lawyers, or Texas oilmen." There was silence.

"But a Grandpa wouldn't lie." He took Sam's hand, and finished "You have a deal, sir." They shook, and everyone resumed breathing. I made a mental note that depending on how my life went, I had to sign up for a Grandpa course, too.

We drew up the other papers, signed and notarized everything that needed signing and notarizing. In between everything, I made my pitch to Mr. Ravenaux and added Consuelo to the list.

"Sir, I told Jillian that I would bring you back for Thanksgiving. If you and Ms. Torres would join us, I know your girls would love to have you as guests for possibly a few weeks." He turned to Consuelo, and raised his eyebrows. She smiled and said she would love to, if they would not be too much of a burden.

"I think if Jillian thought you thought that, she would die. She would love to have you."

"Dear, see if you can get Rafe, and his wife to watch the house for a little bit" said Art.

"Son, do I have to get my passport validated, or a tourist visa to visit you folks?"

I wonder if he teaches a joke telling course, too?

We loaded everything up, and drove to the airport. The G-3 was ready and waiting, and after loading everything up, and a brief pre-flight briefing, we were airborne, and on our way back to Houston. We landed at the big airport, and deplaned at the FBO. We got in our cars, Art and Cosuelo in my Bronco. Being a gentleman, he rode in the back, and Consuelo rode up front. The big horse was a little high for the lady, so I was treated to a great leg shot.

'The man has good taste' I thought.

We drove to Jillian's apartment. I pulled up, and looked. There was the Beemer in front of the garage door.

"Lets go make some good memories." I said.

We got out, and went to the front door. "Brace yourselves" I said. "The hurricane may come through the door."

I rang the doorbell, and was rewarded with a "Just a minute". Seconds later there was a rattle at the front door, and it opened to reveal the prettiest girl in the world. "Hello, James, I ...GRANDPA!!" She flung herself past me into her Grandfather's arms. No problem; I knew who was coming next.

"MR. MAINE!!" Sonia squealed. She jumped into my arms.

"Hey, short stuff, I've only been gone a day." Consuelo grinned with approval, and Art chuckled. "Grandpa" she giggled, "and Miss Connie."She squirmed to get to Consuelo, so I handed her off, and stood back watching.

This is what my life had been missing.

We went in, and sat in the living room, talking, crying, laughing, and talking some more. Art leaned over to me, and said "I've NEVER seen her so happy. Thank you, son."

"I didn't really do anything, sir."

"Uh huh" he said. He turned back to his great-granddaughter who was regaling him with tales of her exploits in day-care.

Consuelo rose and asked if I could get her another iced tea from the kitchen. "Certainly, ma'am." I said in my best gentleman's response. She followed me to the kitchen, and as I got the tea from the fridge, she cornered me.

"SO" she said.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You are totally clueless, aren't you?"

"That's been mentioned several times before in my life, but I still don't follow you."

"That young woman is in love with you. I see it, her grandfather sees it, even she sees it. It is quite possible that Sonia sees it, too. SHE thinks the sun rises and sets on you. I have met a few of your associates, and I think most of them see it. So that means... "

"O.K., O.K. , I get the message." I struggled with my feelings."I love her, but I don't know what to do. My personal life has been a disaster, and I'm a little gun shy."

"Do something; it's not fair to her to do nothing."

We returned to the living room, and I had an idea. "Why doesn't everybody get cleaned up, I'll make reservations, and we'll go out to eat."

"Yay" yelled the smallest Ravenaux. Jillian looked at me, and said "How fancy?"

"Pretty fancy; Italian." Art looked at Consuelo, and then me, and said "O.K., I'm starved. Where are we staying?"

"Right here, grandpa. We have an extra bedroom; but you may have to bunk with someone."

"They can stay at my place if they would like" I offered. Consuelo spoke up, and said there would be no problem bunking together. After all, we were in Texas. She smiled at Art, and winked.

As people scattered to get dressed, I dialed Romano's, and spoke to Anthony. "Anthony, James Tremaine here."

"Mr. Tremaine, always a pleasure. What can Romano's do for you, sir?"

"I need a reservation for 4 adults, and 1 child. A nice out of the way table. Is Roderic working tonight?"

"Yes ,sir, he is indeed. What time will you be arriving?"

"Probably in about 2 ½ hours; I've got three females getting ready. We will be in the BMW; I know you always show class, but I need to make a stellar impression tonight. You won't let me down, will you?"

"Mr. Tremaine, as always, Romano's will do you justice."

"Thank you." I walked back to the living room, and sitting there was Arthur Ravenaux.

I believe he was in grandfather mode; he immediately came up on me. "Son, just what are your intentions? She's been through an awful lot, and I don't appreciate you playing fast and loose with her affections."

"Sir, I love your granddaughter, but I have not said anything to her yet. I would appreciate it if you not say anything either; but I promise you, it will be resolved soon."

"See that it is."

The girls were dressed to the nines, and we all went out and got in the Beemer, because it would be tacky to let my future wife, and her grandfather and grandmother-to- be maneuver in and out of the big horse all dressed up. We tooled up to the restaurant, and they were ready for us.

Frederic opened my door, and 3 of his assistants got the other three doors. They assisted Jillian, and Consuelo out of their seats. Sonia boiled out of the back seat, and stood there, looking at the front of the restaurant. It was lit up by floodlights behind the hedges, and white twinkle lights in the trees, and the hedges. Italian marble sculptures loomed on all sides, and her eyes were wide in wonder, her mouth hanging open. "It's so pretty," she said.

The portico came out over the front door, and covered the entrance patio. Jillian came around the car, and joined us, followed by Consuelo.

"What do you say to Mr. Tremaine for bringing us here, Sonia?"

"Thank you, Daddy" She breathed. O.K., ballgame. I was done. That's it in a nutshell. I started to tear up.

"You're welcome, sweetheart." I looked at her mother, and knew I was hooked. She had tears in her eyes also. And her lips were quivering.

Consuelo coughed, and said "Well, I hope we didn't come here just to admire the lights, and cry about how pretty everything is." Blushing and stuttering ensued, 'til I took Sonia's little paw in my left hand, and Jillian's beautiful hand in my right. We assembled the older folks, and strolled to the front door.

Anthony was waiting inside, as Carlo and Gio opened the front doors.

"Mr. Tremaine, it is indeed a pleasure. And such beautiful companions."

"Anthony, may I introduce Ms. Consuelo Torres, Mrs. Jillian Carstens, and Mr. Arthur Ravenaux. And this royal person is Sonia Ravenaux. I told them I was taking them to the best Italian restaurant in Texas."

"Mr. Tremaine, you are too kind. This way, please. Miss Ravenaux, may I?" Anthony bent over a little, and held out his arm to Sonia.

She flipped, her mouth opened, and she looked up at her mother. "Go ahead, dear." She took Anthony's arm, and we proceeded to our table.

"Your server will be Roderic; anything you would like, and Romano's will be happy to oblige." He pulled out Sonia's chair, and Roderic got Consuelo's.

Anthony then assisted Jillian to her seat, and left us in Roderic's capable hands.

"Would you care for something to drink?"

"A bottle of Romano's house Chianti, please. Jillian?"

"I'll try the Chianti."

"Consuelo?"

"Some Lemon Cello, if you please."

"Arthur?" I asked.

"Bourbon, neat."

"I will be right back." Sonia looked up at her mother, and asked if she could have some wine too. "No, Sonia, you are much too young" said Jillian. I looked at Jillian, and told her let the kid have something to drink. She is old enough. As Roderic returned with the drinks, Jillian fixed me with a stare that should have caused my masculinity to disappear.

But instead, as he served our drinks, I said to him, "Roderic, can you bring the young lady some of Romano's specialty wine for younger people?" I thought Jillian was going to cut my nuts off and feed them to me right at the table.

"Certainly, Mr. Tremaine, right away." Her grandfather started to rip me a new one, but Consuelo just looked at me over the top of her glass. I looked at Jillian, and I could see her incredulity foaming at her lips. I mouthed the words 'Grape juice.' Her mouth dropped open, and then she sputtered and laughed all over herself. Consuelo caught my answer to Jillian, and smiled. She took Art's hand, bent over, and whispered in his ear, and shook her head. He looked at her, and then me, and shrugged. Roderic returned with a smaller glass of purple liquid, set it in front of Sonia, and said "Mademoiselle." Sonia picked it up, and I raised my own glass and said "To the three prettiest ladies in the restaurant."

We ordered, and feasted on antipasto, fried mushrooms, and Greek salads. Then Pasta Fra Diavilo, Penne pasta, 4 cheese lasagna, and spaghetti and meatballs for short stuff. We finished up with Italian Wedding cake, Tiramisu, and Cannoli's for dessert. Coffee, espresso, and tea finished off the meal. We sat and drank and ate dessert, socialized a bit, and had a great time. Sonia sat on my left, and Jillian sat on my right. Art and Consuelo sat semi-across from us. It was drawing late, and we had had a long day. Short stuff was starting to nod, so I signaled to Anthony, and we rose. I gave my Am Ex card to Roderic, and told him bring one extra receipt for a hundred bucks, in addition to the dinner tab. He smiled effusively, and said thank you very much, sir.

We walked to the door, and the Beemer was waiting. We got in the car, and I slipped Frederic a $20 bill, and the other 3 guys $10 bucks each. Hey, I was a big shot Texas lawyer. We drove home, and I escorted my ladies to the door. I was rewarded with a big kiss(from Sonia), and a peck on the cheek from Consuelo. Arthur shook my hand, and firmly put his hand on my shoulder.

"Nice move with the grape juice!" he chuckled. Jillian lingered on the porch, and then wrapped me in her arms, and proceeded to due major surgery on my tonsils, culminating with nibbles on my tongue, and lips, and sliding her hand down to my left buttock.

O.K., now I have to marry her, because I think I'm pregnant. I wished her good night, and told her I might see her for breakfast. I skipped(yes, that's right I said SKIPPED) to the big horse, whistling all the way. I drove home feeling better than I had in weeks.

The next day, I arrived at Waffle House, and was met by my favorite entrepreneur. Ginger put the coffee in front of me, and I quickly reached across and kissed her full on the lips.

"WELL, someone's in a good mood, she said. I grinned from ear to ear. A that point, my girls (YES, I AM GETTING POSSESSIVE.) came in and gravitated to the booth at the back of the restaurant.

Jillian, complete with a radiant smile, blew me a kiss.

Sonia squealed and said "Morning, daddy." I melted. Ginger laughed, and took my coffee to the booth.

I slid into the booth, next to Jillian, and maintained a respectable distance.(Approx. 2 microns space.)

I looked at her, and she said "Thank you very much for last night. My grandpa, and Consuelo had nothing but good things to say about you. Grandpa says even though he's a bastard, I'm still married to Cyrus, so I should behave. Consuelo said she likes you. And to follow my heart."

"Don't worry, I am so honorable, it is sickening" I said.

"Well, we'll have to work on that" she returned, with a coy look on her face.

Sonia piped up "Are you going to kiss my mommy?" she said "Cause she really likes it when you kiss her" she continued as she sipped her chocolate milk.

Just then, Ginger came up with breakfast, and slipped into the booth next to Sonia.

"I had wine last night!" she piped up again. Ginger stared at her, and then turned to stare at Jillian and me. Jillian was chuckling, and I was slightly choking.

Jillian said "Welch's finest year" to save me from a lecture.

"Ohhh" said Ginger, and grinned. We continued with breakfast, and when I finished, I rose and said I would see her later at work.

"Oh, by the way, what are Art and Consuelo doing without wheels?"

"They said they were going to veg out around the house; I hadn't thought about leaving them stranded."

"Well, check with them; we can get them a rental car so they aren't house bound. And next Thursday is Thanksgiving. I'm open to any suggestions."

"Why, Mr. Tremaine, whatever are you thinking?" She caught me off my game for a second, so I stuck my tongue out at her.

I paid the bill, and departed for the doughnut shop. I grabbed 3 dozen crème filled, and got to work. Everyone was there except for Pete. The doughnuts were rapidly depleted, and I checked with my second in command.

"Pete will be a little late; something about jet-lag. Giselle called up, and said she is sending Mike to Reno to check on something that may make this all academic, pretty much. She said she'd be up to see you later. The English gentleman arrived yesterday, and we got him to the The Four Season's.

"The driver gave him their number, and said to call when he wanted to come over. He told him he would like to be here about 10:00. Then he called me and said he will see us at 10:00 this morning. His name, AHEM, is Sir Robert Lawnvale, O.B.E. He sounds a little young. Oh, and Joe says to call him when you get a chance. He has that favor for you."

"Thanks, Janine."

"Oh, and one more thing- This is from Jolene." Jolene is Janine's 7 year old daughter. I picked up the video. 'Frozen' it said.

"I've heard about this, but I've never seen it."

"She said it's for the kid. I'm cautioning you- once she sees it, you will not be allowed to watch anything else."

"That bad, huh?"

"Not to a little kid. It's like crack." I laughed.

"Yeah, you'll see" Janine smirked.

I called down to Jeremy's office, and asked for Jillian. "Jillian Carsten, may I help you?" "Jillian, it's Mr. Tremaine."

Well, I am the boss.

"Do you have a DVD player?"

"Uhh, no boss, I don't." Well, I just got a gift for short stuff, so I'll pick one up."

"Uhh, Boss, I don't even have a t.v."

"What! That's UN-American. We'll have to take care of that. Talk to you later." "But, I..." Oh too bad. I had hung up. I looked at my watch, and saw it was 9:00. I called Sam Lodges office.

"Raptor Petroleum, Nadine speaking, how may I help you?"

"Nadine, this is Mr. Tremaine. Is the boss in?"

"Oh, Mr. Tremaine, just one minute."...

"Gloria Wilson's office, this is Sheila. May I help you"' "Sheila , this is Mr. James Tremaine. I was trying to get to Mr. Lodges office, but I got miss-connected..."

"No, sir, you didn't. One moment please." Next thing you know, I was speaking to Gloria Wilson, nee Lodge, Vice-President, and Chief Operations Officer of Raptor Petroleum.

"Mr. Tremaine, I haven't talked to you in quite a while. I am so sorry to hear about your wife."

"Thank you, Gloria. I was hoping to talk to your father..."

"He's busy out registering deeds for the new field, and getting the two crews moving from West Texas to Mississippi. He wants to get the guys there, and set up before Thanksgiving."

"He's a good man; he is always concerned about his employees."

"Yes, he try's. Speaking of good guys, he told me what you're trying to do for that young woman. You're pretty good yourself."

"Aww, just trying to catch that bottom rung on the purgatory ladder."

"And speaking of helping people, thank you for introducing my dad to Mrs. Anderson. He is quite taken with her."