The Priestess and Her Boy Ch. 12

Story Info
Tak recognizes the Banner of the Goddess.
2.1k words
4.72
3.9k
00

Part 12 of the 26 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

12 - The Banner of the Goddess

From an upper window of the Hall of the Elders, Ostin and Angher watched, as three riders entered the gates of Vosgir and turned their steeds towards the stables of the King's Guard. Peto and Princess Kasmine were easily recognisable, even from a distance. Their companion, though, could not be properly seen, having raised his hood against the Autumn drizzle that fell steadily on the Town, turning its dirt streets to mud. Ostin recalled that it was on such a day, grey and drab, that he had sent Taneirc from the King's camp, never to be seen again.

"Almost fourteen summers to the very day." he said to Angher, his voice shaking with emotion.

Angher placed his hand on the Elder's shoulder, "The King has never put blame on you, Ostin."

"That he will not, speaks greatly of his character," said Ostin. "But I know that fault lies with me. And he knows that I do not need to be told."

"No Ostin. He blames himself for taking his child to war. But, thankfully, he rarely speaks of it in recent years. I wish that he would take a wife; he is not too old and no realm should be without a legitimate heir, fond as we all are of his bastards. But perhaps our true Prince is right now down in the stables. You have not told the King about this boy from the Temple have you?" asked Angher.

"Why raise his hopes? His heart was broken when Taneric was lost - would you have him live that pain again for no reason?"

"Still," replied Angher, "If that boy is indeed the Prince there will be some explaining to do when the King returns from the hunt this afternoon. Joyous explaining nonetheless."

Anger turned back to the window, "Looking at him now, what do you think?"

"He is too far away," said Ostin. "He is big for a young man, and he rides well. Angher, I hope it is him! Go fetch them, but bring Peto and Kasmine in first without him."

When, a short time later, the two stood before Ostin, he asked them simply, "Well?"

Peto shrugged, "He is certainly of the North and recalls life here as a very young child. He speaks the language of the North too. In a basic manner, but one that improves almost daily."

"Is that all? Peto, Kasmine, you have been with him for four days!"

"He is intelligent, well mannered and easy company," continued Peto. "He has a confidence that grew during our journey. Remarkable for one who has spent three quarters of his life as a slave. And he is strong, is he not Kasmine? And he has courage. I would not hesitate to have him stand with me in battle, once he has received training. Ostin, I was doubtful at first but now I believe he may be the Prince. Kasmine, you feel it too?"

She nodded.

"You feel it? Feelings are not enough! And does he know why he has been brought here to me?" asked Ostin.

"No, Elder, we kept that from him as you commanded."

"Good. Well bring him in then, and we will see if I can uncover, within a few minutes, what you two have surely failed to determine in four days."

Peto went to the door and bade Tak enter. As the boy approached, Ostin began to talk but soon realised that he was being ignored. Tak walked past him, in a daze, and continued to the corner of the room.

"This here," he said, pointing. "With the eagle of gold and the eye of the Goddess. I know this....I have held it in my hands."

He turned and finally looked at Ostin.

"And you! You handed it to me. I remember you."

"Yes. It is the Standard of the Legion of the City. Taken in battle at Tajorg. What is your name boy? Your real name?" asked Ostin.

"Taneric. My name is Taneric. Are my mother and father here?"

****

The messenger sent by Ostin reached King Alfard and his companions just as they were preparing to return to Vosgir, securing a killed boar and several deer to a cart that would follow behind them.

"Joward, what is the matter?" asked the King, who knew all his Guardsmen by name, even though there were almost four hundred of them.

"Sire, Ostin bids you return to Vosgir immediately."

"We are on the way anyway, my friend," replied Alfard. "Why the urgency?"

"He bade me not tell you, Sire. As he does not wish you to ride too hard and fall from your horse."

"Is Vosgir in danger?"

"No Sire. The news is happy."

The King laughed, "That makes no sense, Joward, but I shall not ask you to disobey Ostin. We shall ride back quickly, you and I, but not too quickly. And then Ostin can tell me the news himself. My companions here will bring our catch."

And with those words, the King mounted and gave his horse its head in the direction of Vosgir, with the Guardsman Joward riding beside him.

****

By the time the King reached the Hall of the Elders, they had begun to tell Taneric about his early life. Although they used the language of the City, he was overwhelmed and struggled to comprehend what they were saying to him. They sat him down on a chair - as he looked fit to collapse - and Kasmine stood close to him, holding his hand supportively.

"It is true Taneric, you are the Royal Prince of the North," she said. "Listen to Ostin! You are the son of King Alfard. You know this to be true Taneric, I could see it in your heart during our journey."

"I want to see my mother! Please take me to her!"

"Do you remember her Taneric?"

"Yes...No...I will when I see her!"

"Taneric, Tak," said Kasmine, crouching down in front of him. "I am so sorry. Your mother

died in childbirth, perhaps three summers after you were taken away. Neither did the child survive. You have no brothers or sisters Taneric but your father, the King, has been sent for. He will be here soon."

She rose and whispered to Ostin, "Uncle, it must be overwhelming to go from tilling soil as a slave in the Garden of the Temple to being told you are to inherit a kingdom, and all in the matter of a few days."

But at this moment there was a commotion outside, and they heard the King calling for Ostin. Alfard entered the room, Joward at his side, and saw the group of warriors and elders gathered around the confused boy on the chair. Slowly he approached, staring at the boy.

"Ostin....Kasmine....this looks like....Peto, what is this?....Who is this boy?...."

Realising that the King was afraid to complete his thought, for fear of being wrong, Ostin quickly said, "Sire, this is your son Prince Taneric, come back to us after all these summers."

The King grasped Taneric hard by the shoulders, and stared closely at his face.

"Be gentle Sire," said Kasmine. "He is a little confused."

But Alfard had already pulled his son from the chair and was embracing him, tears flowing down his face.

"Father," said Taneric, himself sobbing now. "It is good to be home."

****

After some minutes in which the King refused to release Taneric, Kasmine stepped forward and gently removed his arms from the boy.

"Sire, you will squeeze him to death." she said laughing.

Ostin then spoke up, "Let us all leave the King and his Prince! There is no need for us to be here now."

When they were alone the King said to Taneirc, with great excitement in his voice, "I have so many questions for you my son! First, do you remember me?"

"I am sorry Father, I recall your face. But I remember so little. It was that banner behind you that caught my eye when I entered the room. I held it in my arms when I was young. And then I also remembered that man, Ostin, as it was he that gave it to me. And my mother, she has passed?"

"Indeed Taneric," said the King. "In childbirth many years ago. I wish that she could have known that you were safe. You were safe, Taneric, were you not?"

"I was perhaps lucky, Father. I found myself on a southern farm where life was good, even for a slave. And then in the Temple, of course."

"In the Temple? Taneric, you must understand, I know nothing! Ostin has told me nothing!"

"I believe Ostin was trying to protect you from false hope, Father. And yes, I was a Temple Boy for four summers, after the farm. Working in the Gardens."

"Well, you look so strong, Taneric! It is clear that you have thrived. After we lost you at the Battle of Tajorg, times were hard here - for myself and for your mother. We found the men who were escorting you with Cargian arrows in their bodies. After that I had all Cargians found in the North brought to me and, in my despair, I put them to torture, may Wodh forgive me. But I think you were long gone, Taneric. Far to the south it seems. And then the Temple, eh? I hear it is very different from the days of the Old Queen. Taneric, is Priestess Ashala there? Do you know her? Does she thrive?"

Taneric laughed, "Yes, father, she thrives. She has much energy and commands great respect from all within the Temple; priestesses and boys alike. But she is kind. Peto mentioned to me that she was here."

"Indeed she was. But many summers ago. You know her well?"

"Very well, father. But my day Mistress was Priestess Ruta, of the Gardens."

King Alfard's face darkened.

"You must not talk of Ruta here in Vosgir, Taneric!"

"But why Father?"

"You do not know? She was at Tajorg. A criminal of the war! You saved her from rape - but it was the last time either of you were seen. Did you not know?"

Taneric sank back down into the chair.

"I did not, father. But it was Ruta who found me at the market. She purchased me from the farmer and took me to the Temple. I believe she must have recognized me. Oh, poor Ruta! I never knew. But she is good, Father - a dear and kind Priestess. It pains me to hear that she is hated in the North."

"Ashala also spoke well of her," said Alfard. "After so much time, I might forgive one who was young and perhaps misguided. But if she knew you to be the Prince of the North, she should not have kept you in the Temple, Taneric. I will have words with her if we ever meet. Ashala cannot have known, else she would have brought you to me." He sighed, "But the Old Queen and her corrupt High Priestess are gone now - the Temple has moved closer to the light. Although I believe there is still much work to be done."

"Tell me about my mother." said Taneric.

"She was a Daughter of the North taken by the City and made Priestess almost thirty summers ago. But she walked from the Temple when the Old Queen came to power and returned to Vosgir with a boy. Can you guess who it was Taneric? It was Ostin! Yes, he was a Temple Boy too, once. The City sent warriors to fetch her back but we defied them - a dangerous act in those days, for we were not as strong as we now are. It was many summers before Tajorg. Your mother left the Temple because it became cruel, Taneric. And because the High Priestess said the Goddess could not live within a boy. Your mother knew that to be untrue."

Alfard wiped a tear from the corner of his eye and then laughed, "I came to love her very much, although she never adopted Wodh."

And so the King and his son talked. And it became quite late, but still they talked - only scratching at the surface of all that had passed since they had been separated. Finally, Ostin came for them, reminding them that it was necessary to eat, and that ale was waiting. And as they feasted that night, the King bade Taneric come to him each day at noon so that they could continue.

"The rest of the time," said the King, "You should make merry and explore Vosgir, for you have spent so many years deprived of freedom. And then, when you are ready, you can begin the role of Prince of the North. Ha! Perhaps I can take things easy, eh, Ostin?" And he slapped the Elder hard on the back.