The Queen of the She-Wolves

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Red jumped off her.

"Kyra, what's wrong?"

"She's fine," Ophelia answered, stepping out of the shadows. "She is turning now."

Kyra screamed again and curled into a fetal position as black hair grew out from her pale skin and her arms and legs shrunk. Her hands and her feet turned into paws. Her nose grew out into a snout. Her ears sharpened into wolf ears. Her breasts shrunk as fur grew over them.

After a few seconds of this transformation, she had turned fully into a wolf. She was a beautiful wolf. Her fur was a shiny onyx black like the color of her human hair. Her eyes were the same hazel grey. She snarled and snapped ferociously at Ophelia, then Red, and tried lunging at them but was yanked down by her collar. She struggled violently against it, yelping frenetically, disoriented to her wolf instincts. Eventually, she exhausted herself and lay and whimpered on the altar. Ophelia walked to her side and stroked her head, and said to her, "Welcome, my daughter."

Kyra turned her head upwards and howled.

"So, she's free now?" Red asked.

Ophelia turned to him, and an evil smile crept onto her face.

"She is. Thank you, my son."

A hard blow came to the back of his head, he fell towards the floor, and all went black.

Chapter 8. Huntsmen

Red woke in a dark and damp place. His head pounded painfully. Water dripped from above him and echoed into the darkness. He recognized by the sounds and the darkness that he was in a cave.

He tried moving but found he was immobilized by chains that bit into his ankles and wrists. He waited then for his vision to acclimate to the darkness, but it never did. It was perfectly dark here.

He had been left here to rot. When his cognition returned to him, he began to see all the signs that pointed to him being here. In retrospect, the signs were clear. He felt an idiot for not seeing it before. Luring male Lycan here to breed then discarding them once the deed is done was precisely how he should expect an all-female pack to sustain itself.

Kyra 's last words entered his mind."I'm sorry, Red. Really, I am."

The voice echoed coldly off the blank walls of the cave. What did she mean by that?

Her words continued to echo, and he turned it over in his head. Then it hit him:

The image of his mother putting the diadem atop Kyra's head and that gleeful grin on Kyra's head when it was there -- when it was in her possession -- Kyra did not wing it. She had a plan all along. She knew he was Lycan, and she used him to get the diadem.

He groaned loudly, and his groan echoed back at him.

He was not angry or afraid but ashamed. He was ashamed because he made himself vulnerable to betrayal, and it hurt him to realize that Kyra was the primary perpetrator. He gave her his trust, and he knew from the outset not to trust her. It was a methodical and devious con, starting with the promise she made to lead him to his family, then the kiss in the forest after he had saved her life, then the sex. Yes, Kyra swindled him. She betrayed him. She knew all along that the Lycan Queen wanted her to join the pack, and she knew she could use that as leverage to get her diadem.

He laughed aloud at his own naivety, and he pitied himself for only realizing it now.

His father, he realized, must be in this cave somewhere, sitting shackled against a cold wall, his bones collecting dust. He pictured his father's skull staring at him with a pitted smiling face from across the room. Smiling as if to welcome him home. His brothers and cousins are in here, too. This cave is a family gathering place. A mausoleum for the moronic Lycan brotherhood of the duped.

Now, he only wondered why his mother did not just have him killed, but he supposed that to just leave him here to die was less fussy. Either way, the betrayal stung.

After what seemed an eternity after accepting his defeat and submitting himself to the pain of shame, a muffled pattering noise came from the far darkness. It grew louder. Quiet footsteps approached. Orange light bounced off the stone walls.

A silhouette appeared behind a bright orb of light at the entrance to the cave dungeon. The light bounced off the walls, and when he grew accustomed to the brightness, he could see the skeletal remains of his male relatives all around him.

"Found you! Thank the Gods," The voice echoed. It was Kyra. The light shone from the tip of her wand. "I didn't know how long this damn labyrinth went!"

Red snarled at her. "Are you here to finish the job? Good!"

"Sorry to disappoint you, but no," Kyra replied softly.

Red struggled against his chains and spat, "Well then, you must have come down here to gloat and watch me suffer. Is that it, you sick bitch?"

She huffed. "Hey! With that attitude, I ought to! Just so you know, it is strictly forbidden to kill a member of the pack. That's what they said, anyways. That's how I figured you might be down here."

She crouched down and added, with an apologetic smile, "I assure you, I'm not here to watch you suffer. I'm here to break you out."

"Why? Didn't you already get what you wanted?"

Before answering him, Kyra muttered a chant and waved her wand at the padlock that locked his chain. It popped open, and when she removed it, the chains fell loose to the floor.

She grabbed his hand and hoisted him to his feet. He rubbed his raw wrists.

"You betrayed me."

"Yes. I did."

"And you were always going to betray me. You knew that she wanted you to join her pack. You put on a show so she would give you the diadem willingly."

She raised her hands. "I confess. It is all true. But..."

She sucked her teeth and let out a curt laugh. She seemed surprised at herself for what she was about to say.

"The thing is, I counted on you being a scoundrel that no one in the world was ever going to miss. But I was wrong about that. You might be a scoundrel yet, but there's at least one person that would really miss you. Me."

"Cute story, but you still used me. Why should I believe you now?"

"You don't have to believe me. All the same, I'd never forgive myself if I just left you here to rot."

Red still glowered at her, but as we watched her fingers twisted into each other nervously, he softened up inside. She took a risk to find him. She was here now, and that counted more than the fact that she used him.

"So, I take it you're not going to stay to 'fulfill the prophecy' and help her win whatever war she was on about?"

"To be honest, I thought about it. But I couldn't. I can't. Wanna know why?"

"Why."

"There are too many goddamn rules here. Too many rules that are inexplicable. And they talk too much about prophecies. Prophecy this! Prophecy that!" - she put on a sarcastic tone -"Kyra, you are the chosen one... Phhbt!

 "You know, I was never kicked out of the academy. I left before I could give them that chance. I left because I don't do inexplicable rules. I especially don't do prophecies. To me, it's just a bunch of hocus pocus. Come on, let's get out of here before they catch on."

Red grabbed her hand, squeezed, and said, "Hey... Thanks for coming back for me."

She squeezed his hand back and kissed him on the cheek.

***

The cave dungeon was much deeper than Red imagined, and the floor was smooth and slick from the lake water that crept in through the earth. Kyra's magic lit the way for them, and he was grateful because he wouldn't have been able to ever light a torch with the dampness and the lack of air.

They went through a catacomb maze until they reached a long stairwell that went up into the belly of the palace. They climbed stealthily and came to a heavy wooden trap door. Red lifted it and peeked out. A dusty wine cellar.

After assuring themselves that the coast was clear, they climbed up and quietly snuck into the kitchen, then out to the dining hall where they had dined yesterday. Nothing stirred in the palace, so they quickened their pace.

"They must be sleeping," Kyra whispered. Red nodded, but his hair stood on end. Something seemed off about the silence.

Pale dusty sunlight poured in, slanting from the window. By the angle of the light, it was early morning.

The grand foyer was empty. The exit was just in reach. They nodded at each other in congratulation and broke into a sprint. They burst through the door, ran to the lakeshore, and waded rapidly across the submerged bridge, slipping every so often on the slick algae that covered it but kept their pace. But just as they were about to claim victory, wolves emerged from the treeline. To their horror, it seemed that every Lycan bitch from the palace was present. They circled Kyra and Red.

"Shit!" Kyra groaned. Kyra grabbed Red's hand and brandished her wand at the Lycans.

Ophelia, in wolf form, stepped forward, then transformed into human. She glared at Kyra, crossed her arms in disappointment.

Kyra spoke with a nervous trill. "Um, good morning, your grace. A wonderful day for a stroll, is it not?"

"Not with such unseemly company."

She emphasized the word 'unseemly' with a tinge of disgust in her voice.

Kyra tightened her hand around Red's. A shaking rage came to her.

"Ugh, why the Gods would that ever be a thing you say about your own son," Kyra spat back.

"Perhaps it's only fair that I tell you why male Lycan are forbidden here."

The she-wolves tightened their circle around Kyra and Red. Ophelia's face was cold with bitter, seething anger -- hatred, even.

"We're a captive audience, so by all means," Kyra replied.

"Long ago, Ouksenn, Goddess of the Forests, took a wolf for a mate and gave birth to a son she adored and who she named Beyar. Freely able to shift between man and wolf, he was the first Lycan. When she passed into the next realm, she appointed Beyar Guardian of the Forests of Leinyere. Beyar agreed to this and soon, he found a wife, a human woman. He brought her to the palace, and she gave him sons. Five sons she bore him, and each married a woman to proliferate the Lycan blood. Soon there were thousands of Lycan, with Beyar as their leader. It was a prosperous time for the Lycan, but in that prosperity, Beyar and his children had forgotten their charge. The Lycan men were too lustful in sex and violence. They let their greed blind them to their oath. They allowed wanton rape and pillage of the forests, and they went out into the realm of men to rape and pillage in turn. The Lycan women, however, remembered the oath. In the name of Ouksenn, we took charge and exiled the Lycan men from the forest. Those that refused exile were cast into the dungeon to rot. Beyar, of course, refused exile. His son, my husband, Grimyorn, did not."

"The Wizard of the Windscour Keep... he is Lycan," Kyra said.

Ophelia nodded.

"As penance for the crimes he perpetrated, he agreed to our rule. He agreed to keep a watchful eye over the Lycan sons we send out into the world and send them back when they come of age in the Blood Moon."

"The bastard! I knew there was something odd about the man," Kyra muttered under her breath.

"So you exile us when we are only children, then lure us back only to add to your numbers," Red growled.

"Yes."

"Then cast us into the dungeons once we know the truth about our heritage. How is that any less despicable than what you've described about the Lycan you overthrew?" Red yelled.

"Call it despicable, son, but to forsake the oath to Ouksenn is unforgivable!"

"And when you allow innocent Lycan to die in the dungeons of Ouksenn's own palace -- What do you call that?"

Ophelia glowered at Red. Her fists trembled with rage. "You're not escaping," she said coldly.

Kyra replied, "No. What we are doing is getting the fuck out of here. Now get out of the way."

She motioned with her raised wand for Ophelia to step aside. The she-wolves snarled and barked at them and bared their sharp, yellow fangs. Ophelia held a hand to silence them for her to speak, then placed a hand on Kyra's shoulder.

"Stay with us, Kyra. We need your help in the coming war."

Kyra's eyes smoldered as she looked down at Ophelia's hand on her shoulder.

"You should have thought of that before tossing your son into the dungeon."

"Kyra, you know we had no choice. This is the way. The only way."

Kyra shook her head. "There it is. And that's exactly why I cannot stay. That is why I cannot be a part of your pack, Queen. Good luck with your war."

Kyra yanked her shoulder to free it from Ophelia's grip. The she-wolves all tightened their circle and snarled louder and snapped their teeth.

In response, Kyra muttered a chant, and her wand tip burst into a ferocious fireball.

"Don't try me!" Kyra shouted, and her voice echoed booming throughout the trees. Fiery anger glared in her eyes.

The she-wolves jumped back, startled, but Ophelia stood stoically.

"We will tear you to shreds in a blink of an eye," she said.

Red felt helpless. He didn't have his daggers or his bow. Even if he did, they would hardly be of any help. There were too many.

"Not before we take a few of you down with us," Kyra said.

The she-wolves encroached slowly, low to the ground, ready to pounce once Ophelia gave the word.

But then, at the moment of truth, a shrieking horn blared in the dark woods. The wolves turned to face the sudden, ominous sound as it echoed from the black depths of the trees.

The horn sounded again, this time much nearer. A sound of thundering footsteps. Then a slew of arrows came whistling out of the woods, followed by a screaming, charging horde of fur and leather-covered men.

"The huntsmen are here!" Ophelia cried out. "Sisters, attack! Kill them all!"

The she-wolves lunged at the incoming men.

The huntsmen were countless, easily outnumbering the Lycan women two or three to one. Even so, the Lycan sprung valiantly towards the charge, dodging their long spears, and cut through the first wave of the men like a scythe through wheat.

Red and Kyra did not stay long to watch or participate in the battle. They used the opportunity to escape.

"Red, let's run!" Kyra shouted, and they did not miss a beat.

Only when they were far enough that the sound of battle became muffled by the thickness of the trees did they stop. As he caught his breath, Red looked back forlornly.

"They're in trouble, Kyra."

"Good. That means we aren't," Kyra replied.

Red shook his head. "I can't just let them die like that."

"Red, did you already forget that they were willing to let you rot in a dungeon?"

"I know. I know. I just... I can't let them be slaughtered."

"That's very noble of you, Red, but here's another one for you -- you don't have a weapon! Unless you want to be slaughtered too, I advise you to not go back."

"I do have one thing," Red said.

Kyra cocked her head at him, confused.

Even if they had betrayed him, he still felt an overwhelming instinct to protect them. The same instinct made him powerless to resist his sexual drive the previous night. This instinct was what unlocked his transformation. It coursed powerfully through him now.

He fell to the ground as his wrenching transformation began. His muscles grew. Grey fur grew to cover his skin. The clothes he wore ripped, for they could not contain his new size. Unlike the night before, he transformed completely. He became a massive wolf, twice the size of a large man, and fangs the size of daggers.

"Red...," Kyra started but realized any amount of reason could not sway the instincts of a raging alpha male.

He galloped towards the battle as fast as he could towards the backs of spear-wielding men, who were too busy to notice the giant wolf until he was upon them. He crashed into the thicket with full force, knocking several to the ground. His steel trap-like jaws found one man's torso, and he pressed his long fangs into the leather cuirass and crushed the man's ribs and punctured his lungs. He found another man. He bit into the man's neck and ripped it open.

Realizing the attack by this new large foe, the rearguard turned to face him but barely had a chance to blink before he was already upon them, tearing into one then the next. Several attacked him with spears, trying their best to sink the weak iron tips into his thick hide with little to show for their efforts. He took several more down, and the spears kept coming at him.

Eventually, he was surrounded. There were simply too many of them. Pikes stuck him from all sides, and every time he took one down, another with a pike would take the man's place. A dozen downed, a dozen more replaced them.

Then there was a crack of bright lightning and a clap of thunder.

"I'm with you, Red!" Kyra cried.

Kyra came running, swinging her wand at one then another, and with every swing of her wand, a bolt of crackling lightning speared out from the tip, chaining electrocution from one man to the next, stunning each man it hit.

When they came for her, she cast a mirage spell, and a dozen exact replicas of herself jumped out all around her, confounding the attacking men. They swung with their swords and jabbed with their spears at her images. She conjured the same trick with Red and with every Lycan around her until her mirage army grew to a size overwhelming for the huntsmen.

The Lycans rallied around Kyra and Red, and they attacked with a unified front, pushing the men back. They found Ophelia in wolf form, backed against a tree by a group of pikemen. Red and the other Lycans charged into them and made quick work of them. The remaining huntsmen soon realized it was a lost cause and fled.

***

In the quiet aftermath, the Lycans sniffed around the bitter battlefield and howled mournfully for the ones that had fallen.

When Lycans die, they transform back into their human forms. It was an uncomfortable sight to see: young women who looked nothing like warriors, dead on the ground with arrows and spears thrust into their bodies, splattered with blood.

Ophelia stood forlornly over the body of two. They were Lillian and Calliope. Their eyes were wide with shock, their mouths agape.

Red and Kyra approached her. Listlessly, she said, "A mercenary army, hired by the logging guild. They mean to burn us out of the forest. This is why we need you, Kyra."

Kyra crossed her arms. "I believe a 'thank you' is in order."

"Thank you," Ophelia answered.

"To him," Kyra replied curtly.

"It was your sorcery that saved us," Ophelia said.

Kyra rolled her eyes.

"If it were up to me, we would be well on our way to Greywood Crossing now. He came back for you. But it pains you too much to acknowledge that. That's why I'm leaving."

Kyra turned her back on Queen Ophelia and walked away.

Ophelia looked to Red. There were tears in her blank eyes. Red met his mother's gaze, and, in her eyes, he saw a pain beyond the sadness from the losses of this day. He saw the eons of sacrifice she had made to stay true to the oath, yet no callus grew over her heart to protect her. Every new slice from the blade hurt just the same.

He glanced down at lifeless Lillian and Calliope, then only nodded a silent consolation to his mother and turned to follow Kyra.

***

To a wolf, scents and sounds convey much of the landscape, and so when Red and Kyra transformed to traverse it, the Greywood forest became a much different place than what it was to them as humans. They crossed the scent trails of countless woodland creatures and could hear these creatures bound away in the mist. Scents and sounds that were invisible to them as humans became their map.

They scented the trail that would lead them back to Greywood Crossing and followed it. A journey that took them a week in human form took only two moons as wolves. They could travel faster, for many more hours, and with less sleep and food. More quickly than they anticipated, the edge of the forest appeared to them as glowing blue slits in the vast sea of grey and black. They broke out of the forest into brilliant sunlight, and though it was near winter, the fields and the rolling hills around them blushed with color. Tuffs of pure white snow smattered the golden-brown cut wheat fields, and the sharp winds that whipped from the western plains brought in a crystalline freshness.

1...345678