The Ranger: Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Everyone is going to want to try it?" She whispers back.

"Oh, no I'm only doing Evaine for her bow skills and Beau for her healing, at least for now, and they have a purpose to fulfill so if it doesn't work on them, it won't on anyone," I answer and had not thought about it.

"Minerva offered it to the strangest people most of the time. Most normal people weren't interested in all the extra free work on top of what they already had to do. Way too many magic users to think we were special to get palace gigs unless you were famous or rich, to begin with. Most were used in all the skirmishes and shops. I think Minerva felt sorry for me as I washed up on shore looking like a drowned rat."

'Wait!? You washed up from a boat as a child and now?' Grayson asks and startled me.

'Gray, both were set in motion before he was born.' Cynthia answers.

'Still, that seems messed up, why can't I just have shown up on a horse? How I arrived didn't seem to be the major contribution to what was to happen.'

'Both signified a new life babe, Mertil is asking when you plan on checking the ruins?'

"What? the ruins," I reply looking over at here and all three are staring at me.

"I don't know about the when on the ruins, I might go walk around the edges, but they are sending someone to help me if we decide it's safe to go in."

"I don't like it." Katelyn scoffs.

"You moved across the world to live right next to it?" I answer with a smirk and eyebrow raised, at least I was getting paid, in a way.

"We don't just walk into it though, the mages burnt the entire area to the ground to ensure he couldn't escape and you're just going to walk in there."

"Ahh, that would explain why the woods are so clean, the lack of undergrowth and deadfall." I should have figured that out, as the simplest answer is normally correct, I was thinking this world just had clean forests.

"You're not going right away?" Beau asks.

"I only have one change of clothes, I'd like to wait until properly supplied before checking it out, also need to wait for the guy they are going to send to help."

"Not worried that he's going to steal all your women away from you?" Mertil asks motioning around the room.

"If not for complications, I'd already have more than I can handle already." I stare right into her eyes and smile. Beau chuckles when Mertil looks away.

"Cinthia was saying you need to move that along Kae." Katelyn nudges me with her shoulder.

"What?!" 'Cinthia, seriously!"

"Whoa hold on, this is the first time I've seen Kae blush, hmm, with your skin tone it is really obvious when you are flustered Kae." Beau and Katelyn smile while Mertil looks to see if Heran or Sabina heard any of this conversation.

"Don't talk about me like I'm not standing here, and I am not some prize to gather up whenever you want." Mertil turns to walk away.

"I agree, you are well above what I should be aiming for realistically, but a prize worthy of trying is a good description."

"Shush, people are all around us." Mertil steps back in and whispers.

"That wasn't a no," Katelyn whispers back.

"Ninhursag agrees with you two, but this is serious, if done wrong it would just make things worse and I doubt any of us want that, especially.."

"If the Goddess wants this to happen, it will obviously turn out well." Beau replies as if it is a fact.

"What she wants is achieved through us, how we do it matters, Mertil has been managing the impossible for years and," Katelyn and Mertil are looking at me like I've just achieved something and Mertil is staring through my soul. All three then look behind me and seem surprised.

"Who, is, that?" Katelyn asks.

Turning I see a man standing just inside the doors, Jacob and Dustin walk over and then point our way. Everyone gets quiet, a few whispers turn into a sea of whispers as he finally stops in front of us, a full head taller than me and easily as wide armor plated dark blue and white, a tower shield strapped to his back and a sword under his cloak.

"Kaethorn," he says as a statement.

"Yes, you have the colors of the Mage council." Mertil answers for me. "I manage," she glances at me after my last comment, "Riverside."

His stone face doesn't soften, but his tone does, "Yes Ma'am, I was asked to look after Kaethorn when we clear out the necromancer's leftover remains."

"Soviet Degendays," Severan walks to the side of Mertil.

"Severan Niles," Soviet nods slightly, "Seems like they don't need me then?"

"I'm sure you'll find good enough reason to enjoy this mission, this boy is chock full of surprises. And I prefer to teach, getting our hands dirty is for the youngsters like you two."

"To protect me?" I say as, I was stuck on the way he said it.

"I protect the most powerful mages alive as they are a bit; squishy; up close." Soviet replies.

"I'm more archer than mage." And then I realize my mistake as soon as it left my mouth.

"What would be the difference?" He asks as I groan and nod.

"Well I think it's wonderful that we have someone to protect Kae, he likes to stand in the scariest parts of every battle." Jenna walks to the side of Soviet.

"Jenna?" Beau whispers, "Later dear."

"Katelyn swooped in on Kae before anyone could even speak up and you see what happened there, I, am not, going to watch a repeat while standing idly by." Jenna says back immediately.

Severan chuckles, "And this is why I took the merchant job, this place could kill any marriage. Jenna, he isn't, you know what, I'm going to go over there for a while." Severan nods to everyone and walks away.

"Maybe we can discuss this later Miss, I, appreciate your confidence." If he was flustered in any way, it sure didn't show other than him slowing his speech down.

"Yes, we should," Looks right at Mertil and walks back to the group of friends that started asking her questions.

"Sorry," Mertil begins and he raises a hand.

"I was made aware of the situation here as things have progressed since," He turns towards me, "your arrival. We should discuss your timeline and abilities and, "turning towards Katelyn, "If you don't mind another customer at your establishment."

"We can check you in shortly, or I can have Sabina take you now?" Katelyn replies.

Soviet glances around briefly, "I don't see anything needed from me at this time, if your daughter is available, that would be fine."

"You are informed," Katelyn nods over to Sabina, who has been watching the entire time.

"Mr. Degendays, this way please," Sabina walks over and he leaves as every head in the hall watches him leave.

"Very commanding presence," Beau says as they get about halfway to the door.

"I feel a bit better now." Katelyn looks at me.

"Good, he has his own agenda obviously, though I won't mind walking well behind him along the way." I smile back nodding, seeing Severan waving me over.

"You've worked with him before?" I ask figuring this was the point of the call.

"One of our only victories was largely because of him and his team, stay behind him as nothing gets past his defense, he was also humble about the entire thing, but he works for people that may not have the same outcome as you think they do."

"Though they didn't take part?".

"They were with us at the time and the skaldians attacked, the mage was passed out drunk and even when he woke up, he didn't care. Long as they left him alone." Soviets team just waded into the fight wherever they saw a gap and closed them."

"He seems a good guy, always respectful, never the bully most of them show immediately. I regret even saying anything, but I know the council also, and they make the call at the end of the day."

"I get it, and I'm not putting myself into dire situations just to get some magic tome one of them might want to start whatever happened all over again."

"Walk back with me, lets sit down and chat with him." Severan looks over at the women, "Unless you ugh."

"Let me grab one of those apple pie slices and we can get out of here." I walk over and take a large chunk.

"Hmmm, I made that." Triss says next to me, "Made four of them, with that portion, you've eaten one entire pie."

Holding my remaining pie parts up, "I've made apple pie countless times, what you made with brushed crust to keep it firm, layered, the crumbs, texture," I say loudly and take a bite.

"Hmmmm, if we get a bunch of people coming here again, you should open up a shop, I'll keep it in business until they arrive."

I nod at everyone watching us, "why are you not trying to talk her into this?"

"Oh! Ugh, thanks, you should come by for the cherry." Laughter breaks out all around her with Treya falling out of her seat. I turn and look at her.

"You all know what I meant! But still, you're; welcome." Triss scolds them and turns to me for you're welcome in a nice tone.

I edge my way out with Triss now being teased and complimented.

We walk towards the Inn with Severan chuckling, "how do you manage all of this without getting stabbed?"

"I'm not sure, pushed them hard for a while there, guess they were too tired," I answer.

*Going to end it here, up to chapter 20 with maps at this point, Soviet Degenday's wanted a Sword and Board, making it into the scene now to help out with the Ruins, raised from childhood to protect the mages he is assigned, Thanks for your support.

*Future Peek Ch19: Boulder Dash, a NG Monk makes an appearance the same way.

12