The Renaissance Man Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As soon as I hit the main drag, I had her turn the sound effects off. Trish was shaking her head. We drove through town ending up on a small ridge above the local casino. Brad and I had erected a huge tent over the picnic table. We had brought a gas flat grill and set it up. It gave us an elevated view of the mighty Mississippi River as it flowed south.

The first thing I did was pour us both a glass of champagne and orange juice in a flute glass. We talked about general things as I made us both cheese omelets with peppers and onions in them. Fried some sausage rounds and home fries on the side. I even had some handy wipes for cleanup.

"You surprised me with everything you did this morning," Trish said. 'You turned a meeting for breakfast into something special. The rest of the day is going to be boring after this."

"Your welcome to go with to the swamp meet if you like, but it will take us two hours to get there and back so it is going to be around three before we get back," I said.

We were soon on the highway driving south heading for Tennessee. Trish and I were still keeping it lite. We were heading to a small town just south of where the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers meld into one. It was around noon when we pulled in. I found a spot to park. We were strangers to the locals. Reaching behind me I took down the banjo I had hanging up in the back.

"I've been given a contact here to meet. He's an old-timer so I got to approach him in a way that won't seem out of place." I said. "Trish I am going to play a tune of the banjo and if he responds we know he's here.

I sat in the rocking chair and played for a bit. As soon as I quit the contact started. It wasn't long till we had our own version of duel banjo's going on. Finally, after about twenty minutes I lifted my hands up in a sign of surrender. As I was getting down a lady walked up.

"My father wants to meet you." She said. "I want to thank you for getting him playing with emotions and passions again."

We followed her across the parking lot. The elderly gentleman was standing there.

"It's been a long time since I'd been schooled like that," I said while holding out my hand.

He laughed and replied. "It's been just as long since I've been pushed like that. You play like an old-timer young man."

He opened up a side on his work truck and pulled out a two-gallon jug. Pulling out the cork he said. "Have a taste young man.

I tipped it to my mouth leaned my head back and tasted it. Holding it in my mouth and gargled with it before allowing it to flow down my throat. Not to be outdone he did the same than handed it back to me. I took a second and handed it back to him. He offered me a third one.

"No way. Your mash is like a woman's breast one's not enough but three would be too many." I said honestly.

He roared. "What's brought you down this way?"

"The missus picked up a set of dining chairs and table she wants to restore this winter," I said. "Wants a full-sized hutch to complete the look she's going for."

"Barbie would it be okay if we went with them?" he asked his daughter.

"You guys go ahead, and we will follow." She responded.

We had gone through about half the meet when Trish's eye was captured by a hutch that had a china section sitting on top. She said to us over this way. By the time we got there, she was looking intently at it. I heard her ask the vendor how much. He replied with a price that seemed too high.

"Now if you think we're going to pay that for something that I might have to junk because I can't un wedge that drawer you have been smoking something," I said.

"But dear," Trish said, "it's a perfect match."

"That might be but not with my pocketbook. If they could have gotten it out, they would have."

We ended up picking it up for a half. The two ladies carried the top us men carried the bottom. After covering it in protective blankets I strapped it in. I went off and made a phone call. Letting the old man know I raised three fingers up.

I heard Barbie whisper to Trish he's a keeper thank him for helping my dad to get out of his grieving for a while.

We got into our truck to head back. I warned everybody before we left that the old girl would backfire till it warmed up. Trish made sure it did. She even added in a couple of puffs of blue smoke herself.

I told her once we were out of sight that the local cops would be coming in at three. The information gained in interviews last night had revealed this as part of the ring. The authorities in Arkansas would get the remaining one.

I asked her about the hutch and what attracted her to it. She explained that when her grandmother was a child, she had signed the bottom of a drawer on her grandmother's antique hutch they had just bought. The wedged drawer might be it. When we got back to Cape, I stopped in at Ace hardware and picked up some bee's wax. Then swung into Walmart to pick up some dental floss and a long thin sewing needle.

She had called ahead to ask her dad to move his vehicle so I could back in. Before pulling off the tarp I pulled out two small a-frames built into the back setting them up three feet apart. After unwrapping the two parts to the hutch. We set the lower half down and pulled out all the drawers except one wedged in. The reason it was stuck was something had gotten stuck behind it.

Trish watched me thread the sewing needle with the dental floss then push it through the beeswax. Carefully I waxed down the side that was wedged tight. Her two nephews asked a bunch of questions as they watched. As soon as I had my hand underneath the back of the drawer, I told Trish to slowly begin pulling it out. The beeswax worked. It was slow and hard but what had been wedged in finally fell as the drawer corrected itself and came out.

I had one of the boys catch a video of what we were doing. As soon as the drawer was safely out. Trish reached in and pulled out a small jewelry box. She opened it up to find a diamond necklace. We then moved the last two items into the garage.

We went to the police station to turn it in and explain how she came into possession of it. The police officer was shown the video the boys made. As the officer filled out the report, I quietly flashed my badge. So, at the bottom of the page, he wrote a statement verified by "Mrc" before signing it and giving Trish a copy.

"If it's not reported stolen. It will be returned to you in six months." The officer said.

Trish whispered, "Does the initials 'Mrc' mean Mr. Claus?"

The officer replied. "I can't honestly answer that?"

We went through the drive-through window at Dairy Queen and ordered milkshakes. I told Trish to turn on levers 3 and six. All of a sudden, a fart could be heard coming from the back seat with a flicker of blue smoke.

The woman at the service window face showed her disgust.

"Sorry Mame, I apologize but I told the wife not to feed our boys' refried beans for breakfast. Now boys apologize to your mom." I said.

Following my lead, the boys said together, "Sorry Mom!"

As soon as we left the window the boys broke out in laughter. Trish I could see was blushing from embarrassment while laughing.

"I can't believe I fell for that." She said.

When we got back to Trish parents place the boy's parents were there. I grabbed the sports bag off of the floor. Carrying with me I placed it on the edge of the picnic table. Opening it up I took out an ice cream bucked and asked Trish to pour a little dish soap and warm water in it. Trish went in with her sister to get it from the kitchen. I took off my torn shirt and laid it on the table along with my wallet.

"Sis it's nice to see you with a man, but what do you see in that fat man." Trish's sister asked.

"I see the man inside. Remember," Trish said with a chuckle, "We were taught not to judge a book by its cover. I can't believe you are that shallow."

When the two ladies came back outside, I had the boys named Billy and Bobby grab one sleeve each. When they did, I told them that when I counted down from three to zero, they were to pull has hard as they could. I counted down and the boys pulled as hard as they could my whole costume came off in two sections. Both boys fell to the ground. Leaving me with nothing on but my shorts and shoes. I asked them to place the two pieces in my truck. Terri and Robert looked at me in amazement. It appeared that I had just lost one hundred pounds. Trish started laughing.

"I was as shocked as you were the first time, he took off his disguise," Trish said.

Trish than handed me the bucket of warm water which I used to help take my beard and mustache off. Then I removed the wig.

"Terry and Robert, I want you to meet Scott," Trish said. "Scott this is my middle sister and her husband. They are Billy and Bobby's parents."

I shook their hands.

I went to the paved driveway and told the boys that once I soaped myself down to spray off all the soap with the garden hose. In less than five minutes I was done. I grabbed the sports bag and went into the garage to change. When I came out fully dressed, I called the boys over.

"Open up my wallet and tell me what you see?" I said.

"A badge you're a police officer," Bobby said.

"Actually, I'm an investigator that's higher than a detective," I said. "Your Aunt helped me on a case this morning. As you see at times, I have to wear disguises. I need you to promise to me that if you ever see me in disguise that you won't approach me.

The boys agreed.

"Ok sis," Terry asked. "How did you meet him? Was it at work?

"I presume mom told you why I did not make lunch yesterday?" Trish said.

"Only that you got tied up with the cops," Terry replied. "Was that Scott?"

"Yes, it all started out because I tried to arrest him," Trish said with a smile.

"You didn't," Terry said.

"Oh yes, she did." Hellen and John said. "we got a video clip that shows it. It's a wonder these two didn't kill each other. What amazes me is the Scott was not afraid of coming back for more." John added.

"So, you spent the whole day with him yesterday, and most of the day today," Terry stated. "So, what's the difference?"

"Today so far Trish has not lost her temper," I said. "I count that as a blessing because that means that I have not had to act like John Wayne."

"But that did not stop you from embarrassing more than once today although I must admit it was in fun," Trish responded with a grin.

"Maybe she learned that as hard as she can dish it out. You will give it to her back." John said. 'I had told my wife to leave you two alone to work it out."

"Since we didn't get to celebrate your birthday yesterday Trish, we thought we would do it today," Helen said. "Brad and Tina will be here after she gets off of work at six. Scott, we are expecting that you will stay."

"All things considering, I think this whole weekend has been one of the craziest birthdays ever," Trish said. "This one just because of all the twist and turn will be hard to beat.

"What I want to see right now." Said Terry "is the video clip of how you met Scott."

We watched as all of them went into the house to watch it. Trish got us each a beer and sat down beside me on the step.

"Dad called an insurance adjuster friend last night to find out who he would recommend for the restoration of my furniture. He gave him five or six good names but said the best would be you." Trish said. "He said you were hard to find, only did it for a favor down the road."

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"Teach me how to do it." Trish said. "with my schedule, I have a lot of free time to work on it."

"The problem is the full garage is still not enough space. You could attach a partial temporary addition using a tent style of formation that could only be accessed through the garage door." I said. "Otherwise you will have to find a place to rent."

"You can use the garage and add the tent section if you want to Scott," John said as he stepped outside. "We can park our cars outside until you two get it done."

Trish looked at me with her excited eyes.

"Before I say yes or no, we best talk to the neighbors," I replied. "We don't want complaints about noise and air pollution."

Since we had can cover's on our beer. Trish and I walked door to door to talk to all the neighbors. It took us about an hour to walk around the block. Most were very appreciative of our forethoughts and gave their blessing on our proceeding. Trish asked me why we did it. I said it makes them aware at times that there will be chemical smells in the air at times and cuts down the curiosity factor. We learned later that Helen got six phone calls from the neighbors letting them know how thoughtful her daughter and boyfriend had been.

When we got back John and I went into the garage and I explained how I would have to reinforce the outside wall to give it extra support. I would have to drill three holes from the inside out across above the garage door frame for a pipe attachment. The garage would, in fact, become the fourth side of the tent.

That's when I learned he had always wanted to put a sidewalk down the full length of both sides of his driveway. He showed the lumber he had stacked behind the garage he had bought over the years to build a proper outside patio area. It was still wrapped up in its original shipping wrap.

At six they started getting the meal ready. Brad and Tina showed up shortly afterward. Before we sat down to eat Trish had to open all the cards and gifts. That was when I told I would teach her what she wanted to learn.

Trish got up and ran into my arms giving me a hug and a deep kiss.

Terry looked at her mother who was smiling and walked over to her. She whispered in her mother's ear, "can we actually believe this. Trish has not done something that spontaneous in years."

Helen whispered back, "each has their own wounds and that kinship in spirit is helping them both to heal."

Before I left John had given me the spare key to the garage.

----------

Trish was taking a needed break after the morning rush in the maternity ward. She was behind the counter entering information into patients' files. Her co-worker was also her best friend and had been since before high school. Jennifer was already married and had two growing daughters. As Jennifer came around to sit beside her she heard Trish softly humming. Jennifer remembered well the last time she had seen her girlfriend this happy and that was an hour before she got left at the altar.

"Okay stop for a minute Trish and let me what's going on," Jennifer said. "Everyone is asking what's happened to you. You're not being you. Your acting with the excitement you had in life when we were in nursing school. It must have been one hell of a birthday on Saturday."

Just then Stephen showed up, back in his uniform saying, "I wondered if you would be here today Trish after the way I saw you being carried off by that redneck rube yesterday."

Jennifer watched as Trish started to giggle. Soon it was a loud laugh. Trish's eyes were sparkling in the thrill of life. Jennifer hoped whatever was going on kept happening for her best friend.

When she got control Trish said, "The whole weekend was planned down to the littlest detail. It got thrown away because I had two hours to kill and went to the swap meet. In anger, I tried to make a citizen's arrest of an undercover cop. One thing led to another. Before it was over I was cuffed to him for six hours."

Trish started laughing again. "Stephen that redneck rube you saw me get picked up by was him in another one of his disguises."

That led her to explain in general what happened during the weekend over the rest of the day. Of course, Jen had lots of questions. Jen was in awe that Trish had stitched up Scott without any pain medication only to end up being turned over his knees and spanked.

It was four o'clock in the afternoon when I walked into Southeast Missouri Hospital. I needed to leave a message with Trish. I had got Brad to skip school and help me dig out along both sides of the Malley's driveway using a small bobcat and frame it in. We put in the wiring for yard lights and all needed accessories. We moved the excess dirt over to the area where John had said he wanted to put in a patio and leveled it out and pressed it down to compact it. I also built a drainage system to take the excess water off the floor.

At one the cement truck and the pumper truck arrived. It took about an hour to pour it and level off both sections. The owner of the concrete company had owed me a favor and I had called it in. It was quick-dry, and you could walk on it after four hours, but it needed until Wednesday to cure.

Trish was not at the counter so I said I would wait. It didn't take long till I saw her walking down the hallway.

She saw me and her face brightened up. "What are you doing here," she said.

"I need you to tell your parents that they can park in the driveway, but they can't walk on the poured concrete till after nine o'clock." I said. "by the way you look good in pink."

"I work this week three twelve-hour day, Next week will be four," Trish said. "Can we put the tent up on Thursday."

"Sounds good to me." I said. "see you then."

Trish watched me head out. So did Jennifer. She was pleasantly surprised to see that we were both attracted to each other.

"So that's Scott." Jennifer said, "not bad, not bad at all. It must have been interesting to be cuffed to each other for a few hours and unable to get kinky."

"Neither one of us are looking for love." Trish said, "We're just becoming good friends."

Jennifer said to herself that it is likely what your both saying, but the body language and the open attraction towards each other are saying something else. Jennifer decided right there and then that her best friend was beginning to fall in love again. It had begun the moment they stopped fighting themselves on Sunday.

Helen and John pulled into their driveway to discover why Trish had called them. On both sides of the driveway was the freshly poured sidewalk with protection tape all around it. After getting out of the car and walked down to the city sidewalk to come in through the yard. Both of them were surprised to see the concrete slab poured for where he wanted to build the patio.

All the rest of Jennifer's and Trish's workweek the talk was about the changes they were seeing in Trish. She was still her professional self but a gentleness they hadn't seen before was coming out. It had blown her mind when Trish asked on their last shift where was the best place to by some stylish tank tops and blue jeans. She had not worn blue jeans since she had got stood up. It was as if she'd become a spinster overnight. For the first time in years, Trish was looking forward to being off.

Just before four o'clock Trish called the Cape police department and asked to speak to Scott. She was informed he was out in the field. She asked the person to put her through to Beth in dispatch and was connected immediately.

"Beth Speaking how may I help you."

"Beth Its Trish Malley I need you to get a message to Scott," Trish asked.

"That I can do, what is it." Beth asked."

"Tell him my number is ___ _____ and have him call me and Thanks," Trish said.

"Not a problem I will have fun teasing him about this for weeks," Beth replied. "Have sent the text message to him already. Is it about what happened last week because I can inform you no charges have been laid."

"In part," Trish said. "When the captain finally uncuffed us, we had become friends."

"Trish, what's this? Nobody said anything about this. Can I add your number to my contact list and call you later?" She asked. "I want to hear the juiciest details."

"Sure," Trish said.

Jennifer said, "so you two were so sidetracked by each other that you didn't even get each other's phone number."