The Renaissance Man Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At one o'clock in the afternoon, a Pastor identified as John showed up in the maternity ward. He was being escorted in by Stephen from Security by special request from Trish.

A young mother had shown up in an emergency in labor with no health insurance. Having delivered two twins, she was now in the maternity ward but because she had no insurance, they were releasing her and the premature babies in the morning. Stephen had it noted that the young lady had asked Trish if she knew a pastor in desperation. It was Trish who had arranged the visit.

Trish led the pastor to the ladies' room wearing a knowing smile. No one else could tell it was me.

About an hour later the pastor left the room went down to billing and paid in full the new mother's bill and made arrangements to cover any future costs. An hour later he had found her husband and the car they were sleeping in.

They had moved from three states away after selling everything. Dan Woods had gotten hired by the Jackson County Sheriff's department and come down to find out that the county had cut the budget because of overspending. The job offer had been rescinded at the last minute.

A phone call had him being interviewed by the captain at four o'clock in the afternoon. He had been hired before the interview had even taken place. The captain had talked to the Sherriff of Jackson county. Mr. Claus was covering his wages for up to two years. That would allow the city time for a position to become viable because of normal nutrition.

The pastor took the man to meet a real estate agent about a new house that was for sale. In which he could get possession of quickly. When he was told that he was being offered it with no money down and a five year no interest loan he went for it.

They would sign the paperwork and transfer the title in the morning. He was told to be back at the house at one pm the next day.

Trish texted me to say she was working late because one of the nurses had called in sick. I didn't realize it, but the husband has seen me answer her.

At eight that evening he walked into his wife's room to tell her the good news. Trish could hear the sobs of joy coming from the room.

At ten that night a truck pulled up at the house the couple had just bought. Before the back door was up eight police officers were there to help unload it. Everything went into the garage. The real estate agent locked the place up when they were done after placing a white envelope on top of one of the major items.

He was there at one pm after signing the paperwork. Every police officer who was not on schedule and those spouses available were waiting for him to open the garage doors. When he did, he found everything that was needed to set up the house. He was in shock.

"Everyone here has been helped by the Mr. Claus foundation over the years." The captain explained. "You're just the latest one. We can't have our newest employee worried about other things when he's on the street. Somewhere in that pile will be a thousand in cash to help you buy whatever he has missed."

After the crowd was gone and the house basically set up to go the captain and his new employee were sitting at the kitchen table.

"Captain I know that Mr. Claus's first name is Scott and that his girlfriend is a Registered Nurse named Trish." Dan Wood's said. "Why are they doing all of this?"

"I've known Scott for thirteen years and I still have no answer to that." The captain answered. "Scott and Trish each in their own way have always walked alone. Their kindred spirits in a lot of things. I can tell you that he started out fixing antique furniture to finance a lot of his good deeds. Now he has a bank account in which donations can be made. Each of us pays him back by passing it along."

"That explains why a lot of the furniture is of good quality and made to last." Dan said. "he's repaired and restored a lot of this himself. I hope he will be willing to call on me if he needs help."

"I will add your name to the list of volunteers." The captain said. "Last December we helped Mr. Claus deliver Christmas to a lot of poor families through the area."

After the captain left, he unpacked the car reflecting the changes in his life. As an African American, he had beaten the streets so had his wife thanks to a black pastor who never had given up on them. Never had he expected to be blessed like this. Both he and his wife had been trying to find a way to thank the couple for a future they thought they would never have in a way that they couldn't refuse.

He proudly changed into his new uniform as a police officer of the Cape Girardeau police department and drove over to the hospital. As he stopped at the nurse's station, he found out that Trish was off until Monday. That gave him and his wife time to plan. He walked into his wife's room wearing his new uniform he knew he had found a place they would always call home.

The Sunday family get together was interesting because Trish kept getting asked why she looked full of pride every time she looked at me. She laughed can't I just be proud. Of course, she could but her look was over the top.

On Monday morning the administration department of the Southeast Hospital received a letter from the lawyers of Mr. Claus's foundation. They were ending the three million dollars yearly grant for the maternity ward because of their possible endangerment of Mrs. Carla Woods's premature babies. The lawyers explained everything in detail proving that their own conduct proved that the funds were not being used for what they were intended for.

At eleven am Stephen was up explaining what he knew. He had to disclose that the department head had informed Mrs. Carla Woods directly. He also informed the admin department that he had been with Pastor John when he paid the bill by debit card and arranged for all further bills be sent directly to James Scott Tait, a director for the Mr. Claus corp. Stephen also informed them that Trish Malley was Scott's girlfriend.

The head of the financial department's face went white. He now knew his job was on the line. As soon as Stephen left his office, he called Human Resources and informed that departments head of what had been done. They spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what to do.

Trish had texted me to swing by the hospital even though she was now driving our ford escape regularly. I pulled into the visitor's parking lot and headed in. Stephen was in the lobby and approached me.

"Admin is in a panic," Stephen said. "I got asked a lot of questions about Mrs. Carla Woods' situation and I told them all I know. They made it clear that my employment was not in danger, but I left with the opinion that more than one person is. Do me a favor let Trish know."

"Not a problem Steve," I said. "Thank you for keeping me in the loop."

"You're welcome," he replied. "I thought but was not sure that Pastor John was you."

"What gave it away?" I asked wanting to know.

"The way Trish looked at you." He said, "She's never looked at a man the way she looks at you."

I laughed and headed up. Stephen was right. It was time I stepped up and asked her dad for a couple of favors.

Trish was waiting for me. The switchover had started in staff.

"I asked you to come because Carla and Dan want to talk to us both," Trish said. "I think they know. He's in her room with the twins. She's going home tomorrow. Dan starts his first shift on Wednesday."

Together we walked into Carla's room

"We are here," Trish said holding my hand.

"We would like to introduce you to first our daughter Trish Anne Woods named after you Trish and my wife's middle name," Dan said.

"This is our son named Scott Evan Woods," Carla said. "Evan is Dan's middle name and we were wondering since we have no close family here If you would be willing to accept being their godparents."

I noticed the tears forming in Trish's eyes and said. "We would be honored to accept that responsibility."

"Jen can you come in here for a moment," Trish yelled.

Jen came in and said, "What's up."

Handing her cellphone to Jen Trish said, "I want you to take photos of Scott and I holding the twins."

Dan handed little Trish to me and gave little Scott to Trish. Jen took a couple of shots then showed them to Trish for her approval.

"What are the baby's names?" Jen asked. "Have you decided so we can fill out the paperwork tonight."

"Scott Evan and Trish Anne, "Dan said. "We've named them after their godparents."

-------------

It was just after Labor Day weekend that I stopped into the Sterilization plant that Trish's father was general manager of in Jackson. Their anniversary was coming up in about ten days. I had come to ask his blessing for his daughter's hand and to call in a favor. He gladly said yes to both.

"I don't know how we're going to pull this one off," John said. "It will have to be something unexpected and happen at the last minute. The wife already knows we're going out for dinner then to the legion dance."

"It's easy, I will be flying out on Thursday night. I will forget to take my cell phone." I said. "Because I have to pick something up in New York on Friday. I will call your secretary about four o'clock in the afternoon claiming I'm flying in on Saturday morning for a surprise inspection of the plant on behalf of your employer's insurance company because of the renewing of their multi-million dollar liability insurance. It would be a good idea that you let Helen know about the renewal negotiations. You just have to remember that as far as Helen and Trish are concerned, I'm going to be stuck in Cape overnight. That is why you will have invited me for supper and to the dance."

"Okay that will work but what do I tell Helen?" asked John. "Without tipping our hand."

"Just promise her that it will be an anniversary that she will never forget." I replied, "And if we pull it off it will be."

"It's going to be hard on Trish not knowing where you are," John said. "Both of them will be worried sick."

"I will call Trish Friday and talk to her claiming I'm stuck at the capital in unexpected meetings for the weekend," I said. "She will not know about New York because that's where I am getting her engagement ring and wedding band."

It was a hectic time at the hospital. The head of the maternity ward after a two-week investigation had been terminated. No explanation was given, but the staff rumor mill was filled with explanations.

It had gone as we planned. John and I were sitting across the street drinking coffee from where his wife and daughter were getting their hairstyles done. As we expected Helen was not impressed with her husband's employer this weekend. After picking me up at the airport in my disguise created by Pat's art team in New York we had loaded my luggage and the box I brought back with me in his trunk.

I wore a full facial mold over my face. The zipper at the back was hidden by my grey-haired wig. The lens I wore had changed my blue eyes to pale light green. The outfit I was wearing over my suit gave me a slight potbelly. They had added thickness to my hands and more body hair to match the thickness of my full beard.

"Trish is upset that you have to spend the weekend at the capital and are unable to explain what it was about," John said with a chuckle. "Helen is just as frustrated because she feels her anniversary is going to hell, as a result, she been taking it out on me. She sarcastically said that I have kept my word to make this an anniversary that she will never forget. When I told Trish, what was happening she agreed to go for supper with us and share a dance with you tonight only because it will help to keep her mind off of you."

"Good that is what I want," I laughed. "I'll be sure to step on her toes. Brad is already to help us take off my disguise when the time is right."

"When will I know when that is," John asked?

"The moment I get tossed the mike from Lacy because she's playing tonight," I replied. "Make sure that either Terry or Tina are shooting it."

"Every time you take her up on the dance floor, I will have it recorded. Stew and Dawn have promised to make sure of that," John said. "Lacy has arranged that if things go as planned for a lot of the females to stand up and sing."

The first session of the dance was over; I had yet to get Trish on the floor. The whole evening had been a damper affair no one was enjoying being there. Finally, I got Trish to the floor talking like a Texan with a drawl to my voice. I deliberately stepped on her feet being the lousy dancer I was. The second time I did it Trish started to walk away holding her frustration and anger in. Lacy threw me the wireless mike.

"Well dam! The Maureen O'Hare that I know is getting soft," I said in my normal way. "The woman I know would never walk away. She would have stood up and let go with both barrels pointed at me."

Trish stopped in her tracks as soon as I spoke turned around and let me have it with a mixture of tears and anger. "You're an asshole, you did it again. If you think this is funny think again. I have been worried about you all day. Boy, are you ever going to pay for this stupid stunt? Wipe that stupid grin off your face. Now!"

"Gentlemen your assistance please," I said still grinning. "Trish can you please hold the mike."

Her Dad and Brad came over and helped me out of the outfit. I took off the wig and had her father unzip the mask. I slowly took it off my head. Brad handed me a towel so I could wipe down my wet face and remove the false lens from my eyes. They quickly moved my stuff away.

Taking the mike from Trish I said while still smiling, "Just how long do you plan to make me pay for this stunt?"

With her nose starting to flare up and her face getting red in anger she said, "For the rest of your life you asswipe."

"Is that a promise, your planning to keep?" I said sarcastically.

'Yes, it is!" Trish said in anger.

I said, "Good it makes this part easy."

"Makes what easy?" Trish asked as her father stood by watching.

I got down on one knee and took out the small ring box out of my pocket. "From the day I met you, I knew you were the one. The moment your nose flared you had me. So, I had to make sure that passion was there when I asked you to become my partner forever in the walk of life. Trish Nicole Malley, will you stand with me before our family and friends to say the vows that will make us one."

Trish had tears in her eyes when she looked at her father, "Dad you were in on all this?" she asked.

"Yes, he asked for your hand just after the fourth," He said. "That's why I was able to promise your mother an anniversary that she would never forget."

"Put the ring on my finger, of course, I will marry you," Trish said while trying to keep control of her emotions.

I stood up and slid the engagement ring on to her finger. As soon as I did that a group of the legion ladies stood up and began singing "Chapel of love." I took Trish into my arms and gave her a long deep kiss. As soon as it was over the tears started.

Dad and Brad went to the bar to get the champagne and glasses that we had ready. I looked over at our table. Trish's mother and sisters were showing just as much as emotion as Trish was. Dad and I had done it perfectly. What had just happened was the last thing they expected.

Trish whispered to me, "I was expecting this, but you caught me completely off guard. I love you dearly. I'm surprised that dad was able to keep this all a secret from mom."

"When we worked it all out, I told him just to tell your mom that it was going to be an anniversary that she would never forget." I said "By the tears on her face we can safely say she won't.

"How did you know that when I was young that I would hear the song and say the man I'm going to marry will have the song played?" Trish asked.

"Your sister Tina told me over one Sunday dinner," I explained. "I also made sure that we had this all recorded by three or four different people in case one forgot."

As soon as the girls finished singing Trish turned on the mike and thanked them all for making this moment so special because that song had been part of a childhood dream. As we walked back to our table hand in hand, we got a standing ovation.

John and Brad were already back. John had moved over to sit beside his wife who was begging for his forgiveness for treating him like an ass all day. I quietly had to chuckle because he was milking it for all it was worth.

Before I even sat down Helen got up and gave me the biggest hug, she had ever given me and said so loud that everyone could hear. "It no more John and Helen it's Mom and Dad."

Brad did the honor and passed out the champagne. Trish was busy showing everyone her engagement ring.

I sat down as Dad raised his glass, "A toast to Scott and Trish for making this an anniversary that my better half will never forget."

"Or live down," Helen added.

Everyone roared then Terri said to her husband, "If you ever conspire with those two you will be in the doghouse for months. What those two put those girls through today was despicable."

Dad and I laughed.

I looked at John who has a smile and a grin on his face and said, "Thank you for your help, Dad."

"Any time son," He replied.

Terry said I want to dance with my future brother in law so off we went. During the two-step, we chatted.

"Scott, I hope you realize that you have made my mother's and my dreams for my sister come true tonight," Terry said. "How in the hell did you get my father to keep a secret."

"I knew how much he loves your mother," I said. "Love overcomes all, and I banked on that."

"Love you my favorite brother in law to be," Terry said as she kissed me on the cheek.

"That's because I'm the only one," I responded with a laugh.

When we got back Tina said okay my turn and off, we went. While I was gone Trish got out my cellphone and had turned it on. The first thing she saw was a text from Pat asking if she said yes. Trish texted back; its Trish and yes, I did. Pat texted back right away; Congrats will call tomorrow. When I returned to our seat Trish showed me. That is when I told her I had gone to New York to buy her ring set from Tiffany's. The art department helped me come up with this disguise.

When the band was on their second break Dad helped me move my stuff from the back of his truck into the back of the ford escape. We were both gloating about how well we had pulled it off.

Before going back to our table, I slid into the bathroom and removed the makeup off of my hands. I was just leaving when I ran into Stew who told me that both he and his wife had shot everything from different angles, and they would forward it to me in the morning.

"We really thought she was going to kill you," Stew said with laughter. "It's a good thing she didn't have anything in her hands."

"I learned a long time ago her bark is worse than the bite," I replied.

When we got home after parking the car we went into our house. I lifted her up into my arms and carried her up the stairs. Once reaching the landing I stopped.

"left or right," I said, "Which one will be our master bedroom?"

"Right you got less stuff to move," Trish replied.

-------

It was Trish's cell that woke us that Sunday Morning mine was downstairs. She reached over to grab it from the nightstand. Mom and Dad were at the front door.

"I will buzz you in," Trish said as she hit the app button to unlock and open the door. "You just woke us. We will be right down.

"It's ten o'clock in the morning," Helen said to John." What do you think they were doing?"

"If I was their age, I dam well would be making up for the lost time. "John said. "Just like we did at their age"

I was the first to make it down the stairs wearing nothing but the suit pants from last night and a pair of flip flops. When dad saw me, he started to chuckle. I started preparing to throw the coffee pot on. He was carrying in what he called his "Texas mickey."